• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Speculation Chart [WE UPDATE NOW]

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The defence that you used for virtually all of my points was that he was iconic before Brawl.
I think this is easily proven false as the Wii would have barely been released if at all when the characters were chosen. That fact unthreads your whole post.
Mario wasn't iconic a few months after his first game was released either.

Anyway, this is starting to feel like kicking a dead horse since it's so evident that no argument will change your mind.

D

Deleted member

The defence that you used for virtually all of my points was that he was iconic before Brawl.
I think this is easily proven false as the Wii would have barely been released if at all when the characters were chosen. That fact unthreads your whole post.
Mario wasn't iconic a few months after his first game was released either.

Anyway, this is starting to feel like kicking a dead horse since it's so evident that no argument will change your mind.
Only good arguments. Which you have failed to provide.
Your whole point falls apart when you factor in that they were iconic enough to have received Sakurai's attention.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As if Sakurai didn't know about Mii's before the Wii was released. I really don't see why this argument is still going. It's stupid. If they aren't on the chart, that doesn't mean they don't have a chance. Nor does it mean that particular characters on the chart have an incredible chance to get it.

In my honest opinion, I have seen nothing that makes Mii's more than a casual asset to Nintendo. Sure, they have become iconic, but they have retained their casual persona for Nintendo. If Sakurai doesn't want the Miis playable because they are too casual, then they won't be in. Its really not the type of argument that needs to be drawn out for sixteen pages.

Btw, most characters don't reach the state of being a true icon until they are developed or recieved on a worldwide scale. Mario isn't comparable to the Mii's because his popularity stems from the amount of time he has been in the market. Mii's have remained as characters that are important the console themselves. Hardly a crucial part to many, many games. While this may make them an icon, I myself don't see it as deserving to be a playable character. But this is just my opinion.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
As if Sakurai didn't know about Mii's before the Wii was released. I really don't see why this argument is still going. It's stupid. If they aren't on the chart, that doesn't mean they don't have a chance. Nor does it mean that particular characters on the chart have an incredible chance to get it.

In my honest opinion, I have seen nothing that makes Mii's more than a casual asset to Nintendo. Sure, they have become iconic, but they have retained their casual persona for Nintendo. If Sakurai doesn't want the Miis playable because they are too casual, then they won't be in. Its really not the type of argument that needs to be drawn out for sixteen pages.

Btw, most characters don't reach the state of being a true icon until they are developed or recieved on a worldwide scale. Mario isn't comparable to the Mii's because his popularity stems from the amount of time he has been in the market. Mii's have remained as characters that are important the console themselves. Hardly a crucial part to many, many games. While this may make them an icon, I myself don't see it as deserving to be a playable character. But this is just my opinion.
Ofcourse he knew about Mii before the Wii was released. I don't think you've understood what I've said at all.

it's nothing to do with what Sakurai knows, and everything to do with how core the Mii has become to Nintendo gaming.
Sakurai likes to represent every big element of Nintendo in these games, especially historically significant moments.

It's virtually inevitable that the Mii's will play some part in SSB4 given how big a part of Nintendo they have become.

It might be more likely that they are some kind of generic enemy in single player, or even an assist trophy. But they will be in the game and there is a much increased chance of being playable (especially when compared to many characters on this chart who don't even stand much chance of being an assist trophy let alone playable).

Only good arguments. Which you have failed to provide.
Your whole point falls apart when you factor in that they were iconic enough to have received Sakurai's attention.
They were not an iconic part of Nintendo history when he chose the characters. See my points in the above reply as I feel they answer this perfectly and I don't want to repeat myself.

For anything else, see the great points people are making in the Mii thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-mii-thread.324305/page-6

Most people are not that excited about Mii being playable (although many still are), but think they have a high chance and probably deserves it given what they represent.
I don't like too much the idea, but they kinda deserve to be included, after all they are the face of the Wii/3DS/WiiU era.
Encapsulates most peoples thoughts on the playable Mii.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A wild Emboar (ManBearPig) appeared!
Trainer sent out Entei (Golden).
Entei used Roar!
Emboar retreated. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Regardless of how "deserving" they are, neither fans nor Sakurai show interest in them.
So instead of trying to endlessly argue about why they should be on the chart, just hope they show up as background characters for a stage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Regardless of how "deserving" they are, neither fans nor Sakurai show interest in them.
So instead of trying to endlessly argue about why they should be on the chart, just hope they show up as background characters for a stage.
The character thing nonwithstanding, I do think *that* is an especially good idea. I have so many Mii's, having them show up like they do in the Balloon Trip mini game would be really cool.

D

Deleted member

The character thing nonwithstanding, I do think *that* is an especially good idea. I have so many Mii's, having them show up like they do in the Balloon Trip many game would be really cool.
With an iconic locale such as Wuhu Island and the Nintendo Land game sending out vibes for a stage feature, there's so many options for a Mii-centric stage. :)

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I would love a Nintendo Land stage. Even Wuhu Island sounds good, with Pilotwings things around it, and maybe even some kart from Mario Kart. I'm pretty sure that something Mii-related will be in the game, maybe not as a character though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would love a Nintendo Land stage. Even Wuhu Island sounds good, with Pilotwings things around it, and maybe even some kart from Mario Kart. I'm pretty sure that something Mii-related will be in the game, maybe not as a character though.
I would support this idea a lot more than a character. I'd much rather have a legitimate character from a Nintendo franchise than play as a mii.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Congrats on making this awesome thread that gets my first post. (I've been a lurker for a while.)
I think, for the most part, your character pool is pretty good. There are, however, a few changes I personally think need to be made.
First off, Miis need to be re-added to the pool. (Please ignore the guy that argued this before me.) They are highly iconic, and are known for their appearance in Nintendo multiplayer games, especially party games. Although the competitive community hates to admit it, Smash Bros. is, at heart, a party game. Miis are also extremely iconic, and represent a large part of Nintendo hardware AND software (The "Wii" series is one of the highest selling franchises.) Nintendo seems to put more focus on them more and more as time passes, making them part of the 3DS, and a huge part of Wii U. It also wouldn't be the first time Nintendo used a character to represent hardware (R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch.) I'm not trying to sell you on the theory that they WILL be in SSB4, or even that they're likely. I just personally think that they have enough of a shot (more than Shadow or Lip) of getting in to re-include them in your character pool.
Second, I think you need to add Bowser Jr. with Shadow Mario, as Shadow Mario (or some variant) has been in all the main series Mario games since Sunshine. Again, I'm not trying to sell you on him definitely getting in, but likely enough to consider for the character pool.
Third, I think Sylveon should be replaced with the old X/Y placeholder, because I don't think he's exactly the 6th Generation equivalent of Lucario and Zoroark.
Great List, but that's just my 2 cents.

D

Deleted member

The problem with Miis as I explained to ManBearPig is that Sakurai does not see them as anything but "too casual".
Aside from that, people are using "hardware" for G&W and R.O.B., and they don't get that there is far more to it than simple "hardware representation".
The Game & Watch was Nintendo's first gaming success. That's pretty historical.
R.O.B. saved Nintendo in the Western market during the Video Game Crash of 1983. That's pretty historical. He's also made numerous cameos in games since, including a role as a secret character for Mario Kart DS prior to Brawl.
In comparison, the Mii.......is just there.
In all honesty, the best bet for a Mii fighter would to be some crazy concept (yet one that would be believable for Sakurai to do) would be on the order of MiyamoTo (the actual name of the Mii that I was previously naming as "Miiyamoto" for pun reasons), a character taken from Shigeru Miyamoto's private personal Mii that fights by "borrowing" techniques of games he has worked on. It would also go well with Miyamoto's (possibly joking) statement in an interview that he should be playable in Smash.

Miyamoto himself is rather historical to Nintendo, no? But since he himself isn't a video game character, his Mii, MiyamoTo would be the next best thing.

Also, Shadow Mario has only been in Sunshine and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. The only "variant" is Bowser Jr., and he doesn't need Shadow Mario because he can already use the Paintbrush as himself.

As for Sylveon, it is indeed in fact the Lucario/Zoroark.
-All three debuted before their Generation is released to build hype.
-All three star in a movie (though in Sylveon's case, it is a mini-movie).
-All three are non-Legendary.

While it is very likely to be brushed aside for this newer Pokemon that is to be revealed next week, that newer Pokemon will not be the Lucario/Zoroark by definition. If it is meant to be advertised as a mascot of sorts (which Lucario was while Zoroark wasn't; Victini is essentially the 5th Gen mascot), then it will be the Absol of the 6th Gen (with hopefully better success).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
mii's might be synonymous with the current nintendo, but someone please explain to me why do they need to have a spot on the roster because of this

there are plenty of other ways to represent characters in Smash besides making them playable, and mii's are not exempt from that

there's no need to make mii's playable and nothing about them that even warrants making them playable besides the fact that they have legs and arms to fight with

D

Deleted member

Now I'm not sure if I should make a MiyamoTo thread, or if that would just be fused with the Shigeru Miyamoto thread...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You just admitted that Miis are in the realm of possibility, which, if I'm not mistaking, is what the character pool is about. Again, I'm not trying to sell you on whether or not they will be in, I'm just saying that they're chances are good enough to be in the same pool as less likely characters like Shadow and Dark Pit.
And about Sylveon... it just doesn't scream "Fighter!" or "Mascot!" like Lucario and Zoroark, to me.
As for Shadow Mario, well, it's your list. He's 100% completely reliant on Bowser Jr. getting in, but the possibility of the transformation is still there. By "variations," I meant like Cosmic Mario in Galaxy and 3D Land.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
But Miis, I would argue, have a better chance than others that are on the list, such as Shadow, Dark Pit, and Lip.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Now I'm not sure if I should make a MiyamoTo thread, or if that would just be fused with the Shigeru Miyamoto thread...
I think the latter option would suffice...

You just admitted that Miis are in the realm of possibility, which, if I'm not mistaking, is what the character pool is about.
Actually, I agree with this statement.

Though I don't really want Miis as playable, I have to accept that their chances aren't exactly low, given their prominence on the latest 3 Nintendo systems (Wii, 3DS and Wii U).

As for Shadow Mario, well, it's your list. He's 100% completely reliant on Bowser Jr. getting in, but the possibility of the transformation is still there. By "variations," I meant like Cosmic Mario in Galaxy and 3D Land.
Shadow Mario is dependent on Bowser Jr.'s inclusion, much like Sheik is tied to Zelda. That's for sure.

Personally, I've been wanting the Bowser Jr. + Shadow Mario combination since pre-Brawl.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
mii's might be synonymous with the current nintendo, but someone please explain to me why do they need to have a spot on the roster because of this
I'm afraid your comprehension skills have let you down. No one said they "should" be made playable. Rather that they have a good chance of being made playable.

Actually, I agree with this statement.

Though I don't really want Miis as playable, I have to accept that their chances aren't exactly low, given their prominence on the latest 3 Nintendo systems (Wii, 3DS and Wii U).
Yes most people seem to agree that Mii has a decent chance of inclusion. Except Golden who maintains stubbornly that they have a virtually "0% chance". Oh well, it's his chart.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
not once did I say that people thought mii's should be playable, I was asking why people think mii's even have a serious chance of getting in besides how "iconic" they are

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
not once did I say that people thought mii's should be playable, I was asking why people think mii's even have a serious chance of getting in besides how "iconic" they are
Nintendo does like to put them in everything.

Even Mario Kart.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:surprised:
Should = need in this context.

Very very different questions. Anyway I'll answer the new one.

I was asking why people think mii's even have a serious chance of getting in besides how "iconic" they are
That's the largest part of the argument. It's been covered in great detail above. I hope you're not suggesting that we repeat our arguments again.

Iconic status over an era/hardware revolution was all Game and Watch and R.O.B. needed. They sure as hell weren't seen as popular or practical fighters beforehand.

Mii's have some popularity to go with it.

One thing people need to understand is that these boards aren't a true representation of the SSB target market.
It's aimed at alot of more casual gamers too, if not more so than at us.

Games are rarely ever designed to please the hardcore fans of the series who will buy the games no matter what. Just like how Brawl was a kick in the face to hardcore fans of SSB64 and Melee and aimed at a more casual audience.

Mii's are likely to be much more popular and better received by casual gamers than half the newcomers who they will have never heard of.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Golden, I just request that you look at the list and ask yourself, "are all these characters really more likely to be in SSB4 than Miis?" And if they are confirmed, do you really think that they really deserve the "Unexpected" title? I don't think so, given their large support.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm loving this wavedash Fools wavedash wavedash.
At first I was like, "WTF". But then I caught on after thinking people were stupid proposing "wavedash attacks". Now it kinda just annoys the wavedash out of me. (I really said "It annoys the wavedash out of me.")
But we should probably stop, since this is pretty off topic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well it's great that people are enthusiastic over the idea of the Mii being playable, because it shows that there is some form of dedication. But let's clarify this is not a fantasy list, which might be unfortunate for some people out there. The Mii is not going to be listed on there as long as that too casual statement is up there in bold black ink.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well it's great that people are enthusiastic over the idea of the Mii being playable, because it shows that there is some form of dedication. But let's clarify this is not a fantasy list, which might be unfortunate for some people out there. The Mii is not going to be listed on there as long as that too casual statement is up there in bold black ink.
This isn't a "Dream List". This is a list of possible characters. I never said whether or not I think Miis should be in the game. (I'm neutral on that.) What I am saying is that they're definitely possible enough to make it to this list. If you want to argue that they won't be in the game, fine, but arguing that they're chances are near 0 is absolutely ludicrous.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
*cracks knuckles*

here i go

Iconic status over an era/hardware revolution was all Game and Watch and R.O.B. needed. They sure as hell weren't seen as popular or practical fighters beforehand.
game & watch and r.o.b. were chosen as retro characters, where popularity doesnt come into the equation, it's about the history behind them

they also have far more value to nintendo than mii's do even when factoring in the wii's success.

so they arent really comparable as they were in a different situation altogether from most nintendo characters. mii's for the most part are just mascots, and since they dont have any historical value behind that like the two you just mentioned, they need more going for them than just being well-known

i won't even go into things like moveset and how they'd most likely have to have a one-size-fits-all moveset (which if you're arguing mii could be included for customization purposes, would be counter-productive)

and that all goes back to my overall point: while i could understand implementing them into the game somehow, what about them warrants making them playable? why is it so important that they get into the character pool to you? you even said yourself that there are other ways to implement them into the game. add in the fact that sakurai already turned them down essentially and... yeah

and before you say, "oh well sakurai can easily change his mind since this is a different game so you have to take that into account until sakurai", that can easily go both ways. it might be a different game, but it has the same developer, and while his mind may change, it also may not. so until sakurai says otherwise, you have to take account that mii has been turned down before, therefore not being eligible for the chart. adding on to that, as stated before, if golden re-adds mii onto the chart under the basis that his mind could change/game could go in a different direction, then why not do the same with characters like sukapon and anime characters who were also turned down by sakurai under that same basis?

your entire argument hinges on the fact that it is POSSIBLE for sakurai to say, "hey, the mii's are really big now, i should make them playable in my upcoming Smash game". you keep looking at the fact that it's simply possible and using that as the reason why they should be included in the pool. while it is true that he CAN change his mind, it's simply not a strong enough reason argument to support your case, considering all the cons and counterpoints against it, and it shows in your posts and the points you've made

as for the whole point about how mii's are "more likely/well-known" or whatever than some of the characters on the character pool... the big difference is that sakurai already turned down mii's, while the jury is still out on the more obscure characters. not well-known but possible > well-known but impossible

Games are rarely ever designed to please the hardcore fans of the series who will buy the games no matter what. Just like how Brawl was a kick in the face to hardcore fans of SSB64 and Melee and aimed at a more casual audience.
wouldnt say that 64 is all that hardcore, but thats besides the point

sakurai didnt intend for brawl to piss off hardcore fans, he wanted to make the game for everybody, whether they be casual or core players.

and then about the bolded part... where are you even getting this from? even if this were true, it doesn't exactly apply to smash considering the series revolves around fan service. hell, the entire reason we even got sonic in brawl was because of fan demand.

and in the same article where sakurai turned down mii's, he also talks about how he could have taken smash in a "more casual direction", but he thought that people wanted something different. this pretty much proves my point that smash isn't meant to pander to casuals like everyone seem to think it does, or else he would shoehorn in features that only a more casual audience would really appreciate (such as being able to use motion controls with the wiimote in gameplay in brawl)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I personally think Miis would be and are certainly within the realm of possibility.

Which is what the list is sort of about. So if it were up to me, I would put them back up. Or at least MiyamoTo in their place.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
for the record, i don't have a problem with mii's getting in or if they make it into the chart at all

just being objective here

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
so they arent really comparable as they were in a different situation altogether from most nintendo characters. mii's for the most part are just mascots, and since they dont have any historical value behind that like the two you just mentioned, they need more going for them than just being well-known
The characterisation of the greatest advancement in gaming history for the past few decades has no historical value? Okay...

game & watch and r.o.b. were chosen as retro characters, where popularity doesnt come into the equation, it's about the history behind them
In future it might be helpful to you to read posts twice before responding, or at least more carefully because you seem to raise alot of issues that can be answered in the very post you're replying to.

I said historical significance is the main argument for Mii's chances. Just like it was the main factor for ROB and G&W getting into SSB.
If you read more carefully you will notice I stated Mii's popularity as a side pointer on top of this.
However popularity is always in the equation.
Sakurai will always consider popularity when deciding any character on the roster. I'm sure the lack of it counted against ROB and G&W. But they had enough going for the otherwise and got in despite this.

What puzzles me is that you seem to regard ROB and G&W to have history behind them where as Mii does not.
Wii motion technology is the biggest advancement in modern gaming history. Mii is it's characterisation.
I hope you're not suggesting that historical significance is diminished due to being relatively recent history. That would be a very weak argument.

they also have far more value to Nintendo than Mii's do even when factoring in the Wii's success.
I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to here. In an argument you need to be more specific about what you mean and provide evidence or sound reasoning to back up your opinions. Otherwise they are just baseless statements of no value.

i won't even go into things like moveset and how they'd most likely have to have a one-size-fits-all moveset (which if you're arguing mii could be included for customization purposes, would be counter-productive)
Again, I don't really understand what point you are trying to make here. Yes I agree that they would probably have a balanced moveset if they were playable.

and that all goes back to my overall point: while i could understand implementing them into the game somehow, what about them warrants making them playable?
This has been answered several times now so I won't go into detail as you can simply read up for what some people see as the major factors supporting their claim to be playable.

But just for your own benefit, what warrants any character being playable?

I'd say it's complex interplay of factors including but not exclusive to: Popularity of the series, popularity of the character, frequency of game appearances, historical significance, practicality of being playable etc
Mii has strong points and weak points within these categories like every character does. See the many above posts for a more detailed answer.

why is it so important that they get into the character pool to you? you even said yourself that there are other ways to implement them into the game. add in the fact that sakurai already turned them down essentially and... yeah
Why is it important to anyone that any character gets into the SSB character pool?
I'm sure there are characters you want in the game. Perhaps you can answer this one yourself.

and before you say, "oh well sakurai can easily change his mind since this is a different game so you have to take that into account until sakurai", that can easily go both ways. it might be a different game, but it has the same developer, and while his mind may change, it also may not. so until sakurai says otherwise, you have to take account that mii has been turned down before, therefore not being eligible for the chart. adding on to that, as stated before, if golden re-adds mii onto the chart under the basis that his mind could change/game could go in a different direction, then why not do the same with characters like sukapon and anime characters who were also turned down by sakurai under that same basis?
He can put characters like Sukapon back in if he wants. I don't see why he would though as they have not had any great rise in popularity and historical significance since 2006 and therefore no rise in claim to be playable. Mii is in an entirely different situation now. A much better one filling in much more of the criterion I proposed above.

it's a very simple concept. New stimuli creates a new situation and forces the decision maker to re-evaluate.
Like if Barack Obama says that he will not support the invasion of Iran.... but then Iran are found to be 6 months off plans to launch a nuclear missile into the white house. Obama takes this new information and re-evaluates his decision.

You can call adding Wii to SSB a change of mind if you want. I see it more of a re-evaluation based on new circumstances that Mii is in 7 years later.

your entire argument hinges on the fact that it is POSSIBLE for sakurai to say, "hey, the mii's are really big now, i should make them playable in my upcoming Smash game". you keep looking at the fact that it's simply possible and using that as the reason why they should be included in the pool. while it is true that he CAN change his mind, it's simply not a strong enough reason argument to support your case, considering all the cons and counterpoints against it, and it shows in your posts and the points you've made
Yes it does rely on Sakurai re-evaluating his stance on Mii as a potential playable.
No I don't keep looking at the fact that it;s simply possible.
I'm making a judgement based on the interplay of factors supporting playability that I proposed a few paragraphs above. My judgement leaves me thinking Mii has a less than likely chance but still higher than a big portion of characters on this chart.

as for the whole point about how mii's are "more likely/well-known" or whatever than some of the characters on the character pool... the big difference is that sakurai already turned down mii's, while the jury is still out on the more obscure characters. well-known but possible > well-known but impossible

wouldnt say that 64 is all that hardcore, but thats besides the point

sakurai didnt intend for brawl to piss off hardcore fans, he wanted to make the game for everybody, whether they be casual or core players.
I agree. Probably to maximise sales. The numbers virtually always come before appeasing the hardcore fans.

and then about the bolded part... where are you even getting this from? even if this were true, it doesn't exactly apply to smash considering the series revolves around fan service. hell, the entire reason we even got sonic in brawl was because of fan demand..
I'm getting it from 20 years experience of following game releases.
Video games, especially Nintendo franchises are built to sell in high numbers. Where pleasing the hardcore fan conflicts with making higher sales, the hardcore gamer is compromised virtually every time.

Yes, I'm sure Sonic was included just to please the fans who are going to buy the game anyway. Nothing to do with increasing sales.....

and in the same article where sakurai turned down mii's, he also talks about how he could have taken smash in a "more casual direction", but he thought that people wanted something different. this pretty much proves my point that smash isn't meant to pander to casuals like everyone seem to think it does, or else he would shoehorn in features that only a more casual audience would really appreciate (such as being able to use motion controls with the wiimote in gameplay in brawl)
It's not that he was trying to pander to casuals. It's that he was trying to make the game appeal to a wider audience ($). Just like including the now popular Mr. face of modern Nintendo hardware "Mii" would do now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Meh, guys stahp! If you disagree with the chart, just ignore it and move on. :glare:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
R.O.B and G&W are hardly relateable to Mii's believe it or not, because they are purely shock characters that no one asked for or saw coming. Mii's have popularity, which is something the other two didn't have before they were announced, but that doesn't make it a big deal that the Mii's have it.

I personally see roster spots as something reserved for video game characters from particular Nintendo or 3rd party IP's that characterize the history of characters and games. Such as big name titles, popular characters, etc. Mii's may fall into this category, but consider this. Almost EVERYONE bought a Wii, and most likely Wii Sports and/or Sports Resort. A large percentage of those consumers were most likley casual gamers who know rather little about Nintendo's core games. This is where the implementation of the Mii's becomes iffy (to me at least). I would expect a lot of "hardcore" Nintendo fans to be a little disappointed if Mii's got in before one of their more wanted characters.

For example, I would be extremely pissed off if Mii's got in over Shulk, or Mewtwo, or Ridley, or K.Rool, or some other character. The character in question differs from person to person. Also, consider what Sakurai said about the Mii's himself, stating they are too casual. If you look at basically any game they appear in, the Mii's are a part of a rather casual atmosphere. So because of this and associations that are made, it could give Smash Bros an instant casual look, something a lot of fans (and maybe even Sakurai) may not want.

For the record, one thing about making a GOOD argument, is understanding both sides, not just your own. This strengthens what your side might believe, because you can prove why they are incorrect based on logic derived from your particular reasoning compared to theirs, instead of just saying that you're right and they are wrong. So if you do not acknowledge what the other says, your argument is just as bad. This is not directed at anyonein particular, but just a word of advice if this is going to continue.

I can see where the argument for adding them to the chart is coming from, and I think that they probably should just be on the chart just because. (though Golden has stated why he doesn't want to put them up there for the same reasons as to why Sukapon and others are not). But to be honest, the same arguments and counter arguments are being used and this conversation is going absolutely nowhere. So please, for the sake of this thread, lets change the subject.

D

Deleted member

You just admitted that Miis are in the realm of possibility, which, if I'm not mistaking, is what the character pool is about.
Where in my last post did I say anything REMOTELY like that? Having a specific Mii to represent one of the most important figures to Nintendo (if not THE most) with a moveset inspired by games he has created is not even close to having the option to use random Miis you create with a moveset based around what Miis in general can do. If anything, MiyamoTo would get on the chart, not the "too casual" Miis.

Again, I'm not trying to sell you on whether or not they will be in, I'm just saying that they're chances are good enough to be in the same pool as less likely characters like Shadow and Dark Pit.
I have said repeatedly that only characters within their series are matched up to each other.
In terms of Kid Icarus characters, Dark Pit has a shot far greater than say, Thanatos or Phosphora, because he serves as somewhat of a sidekick to Pit and is playable. While his shot is not as great as say, Palutena, it is still there, especially if Palutena somehow doesn't make the cut. Same with Magnus, though I have considered dropping him from the chart due to being relatively minor and having little Smash popularity.
Among Sonic characters, Shadow is one of the more reasonable options.

And about Sylveon... it just doesn't scream "Fighter!" or "Mascot!" like Lucario and Zoroark, to me.
Regardless of how you feel about it, it is what it is. There are plenty of characters on the chart that I personally don't find likely, but they still have their chances.

The transformation is redundant to the point Sakurai wouldn't even consider it.
-Bowser Jr. can use the Paintbrush as himself already, removing the only reason Shadow Mario would even be needed.
-Having the transformation takes away from the unique gimmick that Sakurai added Zelda/Sheik for. Notably, the only consideration for another character than can transform at will was a Toon version of Zelda/Sheik (though it is currently unknown whether "Toon Sheik" was literally a Toon Sheik or if it was codename for Tetra).

Neither Cosmic Mario nor the Cosmic Clones help Shadow Mario's case because they are not one and the same; they are just copies of Mario. If Sakurai was going to add another Mario anyway, it would be between Dr. Mario, who was in Melee and was planned for Brawl, and Paper Mario, who is discussed among fans as a Smash candidate.

AFTER THIS POST HOWEVER, ANY CONTINUATION OF THE MII ARGUMENT RESULTS IN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION FROM CHART SUGGESTIONS.
This goes for everyone.

Top Bottom