• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Quick question. Does anyone know how to increase the sound input of already downloaded BRSTM files? Some of the files I have are just so low compared to other ones I have downloaded. Is there a way to increase their sound output without downloading anything big, or even without downloading anything else at all?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I totally would, but my adobe encore doesn't even want to open (I haven't used it once in all the years of my "new" laptop, whoops)
I would assume any sound/music editor would give you the options. Usually you'd amplify the volume of the song in its entirety to the highest it can possibly be (so the range of dB, you'd max them out for the entire song). Then you convert that edited song.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
IIRC, yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUOXerfR_08

What you see in the video is a bar with the file's sound amplitude/etc, you basically just want it to be a big colored box or something close to (well, you don't need it to be like that, as long as the range of volumes are within a certain limit, it's fine).

It'll sound horrible when you play it, but the wii playing brstrm solves it, I swear (usually)

If you scroll down to another section on the site: Workshop, I'm sure you'll find instructions in the custom content area.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That's illegal in 27 states, you know.
Is Minnesota one of them?
To be fair, if you were expecting a community about a Nintendo game series to care about an 82-year old radio show host's death, you are sadly misinformed.
...but it's Casey Kasem! He was a big star! Don't you know how many people loved him in the 1950's? More than that, he was the voice of the character in the Transformers I named myself after.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I mainly recognize Casey Kasem as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo and Robin in Justice Friends or the early Batman cartoons or the Scooby-Doo/Batman crossovers from back then.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I got Audacity and everything, but it is confusing. I had to import the BRSTM file in raw, and it sounds way ****ed up in the program. Now I can even clear it from the selection. x_x

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjbNBMOuNvE&t=0m19s

Keitaro grabs out of hitlag here. Pikachu was still stuck in hitlag.

New hitlag mechanics...!? Possibly to counteract how much hitlag there is...!? That, or shieldstun is VERY low, which it seems to be if you watch people hitting shields. But still...you could never get out of hitlag before the opponent (in normal conditions), as far as I know.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I mainly recognize Casey Kasem as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo and Robin in Justice Friends or the early Batman cartoons or the Scooby-Doo/Batman crossovers from back then.
Wait, Shaggy's voice actor died? Nooo! The person who voiced a character that looks surprisingly alot like me has died! This is a sad day indeed. :crying:

So, how about them potatoes?:awesome:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wait, are you making your own brstrm from something (mp3), or trying to fix someone elses brstm?

If it's the latter, you're on your own!_!
The latter. I dunno how to make my own BRSTM, just trying to make a couple of ones I downloaded from Brawl Custom Music a little louder.

But I'm not even sure if the problem is the files, or rather what the files are connected to in terms of stages or menus. Like I recently had a song for the menu screen, and it was kinda low and have just recently switch it to a stage and it is a lot louder now. Which is weird. Stupid technical mumbo jumbo that is probably simpler then how complicated I think it is.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, it's because they're bad and didn't manage file volumes properly.

The brstrm player figures out the volume of a song itself.

Regular music file types store volume per sound, while brstrm doesn't store volume, it's an "implied" thing, hard to explain to you if you don't understand computery-things.

Fixing an already created brstrm is very much not worth your time nor effort. You're going to have even more drama converting it back to a usable brstrm.

Take an image of high quality and save it as a .jpg or .gif, then try saving it again as the original file type. The result is going to be progressively/varyingly horrendous.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Blegh. Looks like I'm stuck with low sounding stuff. And it really isn't super low sounding, just compared to everything else they are. x_x

But like seriously, I listen to these files from the site on my computer and they sound fine. But then I put them onto PM and the sound seems to have gone down drastically, depending on where I put the file it seems like.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well you're listening to the mp3/unconverted forms most likely.

The game "figures" out the volume of a song when its played. It does so by "thinking" about it.
When you convert an mp3 or something else, it converts sounds to a format that helps the game process/think about what it needs to do. You'd be surprised to know how superfluous that volume value actually is, especially if you convert a file properly with 'volume' on max dB for the entirety of the song. Volume variation in game will be fine because it'll figure it out.

L2 File Typing/File Formatting/Data Types. Nothing is rarely as simple as a string of letters (OR IS IT!? [truth: it is, but not for us stupid humans]).

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Speaking of potatoes, what has eyes but cannot see?

A blind man.:troll:

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What part of the game/engine figuring out the volume of a song in its entirety (before even playing it) while storing no volume measures in the data type itself aren't you understanding?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know I don't think I've ever seen a more off topic thread before.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What part of the game/engine figuring out the volume of a song in its entirety (before even playing it) while storing no volume measures in the data type itself aren't you understanding?
All of it lol.

I think it's best if I just leave it alone and just deal with it as it is lol. I'm getting way too confused apparently.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
All of it lol.

I think it's best if I just leave it alone and just deal with it as it is lol. I'm getting way too confused apparently.
Well, understanding how it does it isn't easy, that's for sure.
But why is simple enough. You think of "volume" as apart of a sound. While a computer's hardware essentially doesn't. A sound is just varying wave lengths. Brstrms hence don't consider the variable "volume" as humans like to as it only considers a more "base" data type (think of people using binary over other forms of numbers).

Mp3 "Sound": A[50 volume]B[49 volume]C[99 volume]DE etc
brstrm "sound": LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~ and then the game figures out how loud that laaaa is based off the entirety of the file.

I could probably equate 30% of my daily problems trying to explain to people (my family) how crappy human standards are when working within the realms of computational logic :p

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Well yeah but I expected it to be a little bit related to Smash Bros.
You know just a little?
Who even cares about Smash lol

There is one topic.
Discussing how awesome I am.
You're as awesome as a mote of dust that momentary floats in some obscure corner of a distant world that no one will ever visit, coming to a rest on the barren ground among other indistinguishable motes of dust that too will never be witnessed, and whose impact on the entirety of cosmic history will be even less than negligible.

Keep on rocking, brother. :shades:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom