• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well, understanding how it does it isn't easy, that's for sure.
But why is simple enough. You think of "volume" as apart of a sound. While a computer's hardware essentially doesn't. A sound is just varying wave lengths. Brstrms hence don't consider the variable "volume" as humans like to as it only considers a more "base" data type (think of people using binary over other forms of numbers).

Mp3 "Sound": A[50 volume]B[49 volume]C[99 volume]DE etc
brstrm "sound": LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~ and then the game figures out how loud that laaaa is based off the entirety of the file.

I could probably equate 30% of my daily problems trying to explain to people (my family) how crappy human standards are when working within the realms of computational logic :p
I still don't understand why different parts of the game... register(?) the volume differently from other parts of the game. That's the real confusing part.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

I still don't understand why different parts of the game... register(?) the volume differently from other parts of the game. That's the real confusing part.
Something happens differently when the game's player decides to figure out its volume. Could be any reason. I know I've heard brstrms play out at different volumes in different situations too.

The game may have different logics of volume based on what type of sound is playing, and it would likely base that off where the file is located. If a song is played as a menu song, in game song or "juke box", they could all have different means.

Just remember that awkward/incorrectly made data files put in a game that likely doesn't ever expect its provided data to be "wrong", "incorrect" or anything of the like. When you change things like that, especially replacing files with lazily constructed versions, who knows what could go wrong.

Analogy: Brawl asks me to add 1 + 1. It expects that I'd give the right answer (2). I give the answer as 3. Brawl never questions what answer I give it, it won't ever consider the notion that it has been given wrong information.
P.S. this is how space rockets blow up on launch, killing innocent people and costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Something happens differently when the game's player decides to figure out its volume. Could be any reason. I know I've heard brstrms play out at different volumes in different situations too.

The game may have different logics of volume based on what type of sound is playing, and it would likely base that off where the file is located. If a song is played as a menu song, in game song or "juke box", they could all have different means.
Ok yea, that makes more sense now.

So stages have different means from each other, the Yoshi stages especially seem to have a low(?) mean to them, as every song I have tried on the has sounded rather low. The menu is also kinda on the low side as well. Everything else seems to be higher though. Hrmmmmm. Looks like it is something I am just going to have to deal with.

Still, thanks for explaining thing for me. I think I understand a bit better now. But I'll probably forget everything tomorrow lol.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
In regards to potatoes, that's why Sasha is my favorite AoT character.

In other news, I'm pretty sure that version of Knuckles is an alternate universe-type setting.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I really need to get in this BRSTRMs thing. I would love to hear other music in my Smash games. However, I apparently need to Format my SD card which I can't do that on this computer for reasons. Maybe in a week or two.

Anyway, I watched quite a bit of stuff today. Looking forward to the POTD as usual. Please be Mr. Game & Watch.

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Yeah, it's because they're bad and didn't manage file volumes properly.

The brstrm player figures out the volume of a song itself.

Regular music file types store volume per sound, while brstrm doesn't store volume, it's an "implied" thing, hard to explain to you if you don't understand computery-things.

Fixing an already created brstrm is very much not worth your time nor effort. You're going to have even more drama converting it back to a usable brstrm.

Take an image of high quality and save it as a .jpg or .gif, then try saving it again as the original file type. The result is going to be progressively/varyingly horrendous.
Well you're listening to the mp3/unconverted forms most likely.

The game "figures" out the volume of a song when its played. It does so by "thinking" about it.
When you convert an mp3 or something else, it converts sounds to a format that helps the game process/think about what it needs to do. You'd be surprised to know how superfluous that volume value actually is, especially if you convert a file properly with 'volume' on max dB for the entirety of the song. Volume variation in game will be fine because it'll figure it out.

L2 File Typing/File Formatting/Data Types. Nothing is rarely as simple as a string of letters (OR IS IT!? [truth: it is, but not for us stupid humans]).
Well, understanding how it does it isn't easy, that's for sure.
But why is simple enough. You think of "volume" as apart of a sound. While a computer's hardware essentially doesn't. A sound is just varying wave lengths. Brstrms hence don't consider the variable "volume" as humans like to as it only considers a more "base" data type (think of people using binary over other forms of numbers).

Mp3 "Sound": A[50 volume]B[49 volume]C[99 volume]DE etc
brstrm "sound": LALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~ and then the game figures out how loud that laaaa is based off the entirety of the file.

I could probably equate 30% of my daily problems trying to explain to people (my family) how crappy human standards are when working within the realms of computational logic :p

Just remember that awkward/incorrectly made data files put in a game that likely doesn't ever expect its provided data to be "wrong", "incorrect" or anything of the like. When you change things like that, especially replacing files with lazily constructed versions, who knows what could go wrong.

Analogy: Brawl asks me to add 1 + 1. It expects that I'd give the right answer (2). I give the answer as 3. Brawl never questions what answer I give it, it won't ever consider the notion that it has been given wrong information.
P.S. this is how space rockets blow up on launch, killing innocent people and costing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Must take notes. (Aspiring Game dev here - gotta learn that stuff).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Game development is pretty broad at this point, you wouldn't necessarily learn it in Design. Unless your goal is indie-ish stuff, you may never need to know how a system uses something.

Chances are you'd be using more seamless data typing in anything indie you'd do :p

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Dat moment when a game developer doesn't know how to work something game related but someone else does.
I'm only heading back for my second year at college for this. lol

Game development is pretty broad at this point, you wouldn't necessarily learn it in Design. Unless your goal is indie-ish stuff, you may never need to know how a system uses something.
Indie? Please. My goal is to make a big company like EA (yet not evil like them) and eventually become President of Nintendo of America.

With revolutionary ideas like:
-smaller budgets for AAA games (not just blowing it on high-end graphics and big marketing campaigns when a few viral videos will do)
-not treating the customer like a money stealing parasite
-no season passes (they are a promise of things that may never come)
-no day-one DLC
-Taking your time with games ans making them right the first time
-pre-order bonuses that are actual items instead of day-one dlc codes

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
CONSPIRACY THEORY TIME

Peach wasn't available to chose as a character on the 3DS and Wii U version demo at E3 and Best Buy.

BECAUSE

Toadsworth is her new standard B attack and Toad is a newcomer.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

"Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got this for my father for his birthday/ father's day present

EVERYTIME anime comes up he always talks about Spaceship Yamato

It was pretty expensive though

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX

"Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one."
The shuriken are the coolest, because everything is better with ninjas. But that gale strike looks nice too. I wanted to see more Palutena information though. Maybe Tuesday?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The shuriken are the coolest, because everything is better with ninjas. But that gale strike looks nice too. I wanted to see more Palutena information though. Maybe Tuesday?
I think the chakram are better

Especially with the control their movement

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Has anyone ever had a craving for something that doesn't exist anymore?

I have a craving for the TMNT "fruit" pies they had when I was young

They were just vanilla pies with green food coloring or something

But for some reason I can't simulate the taste and I crave it like crazy sometimes

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
My response during reading that description was literally "ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Oh god a picture with it too, my imagination is making me wretch at the thought of what it looks likes
ughh i'm out of here.

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
CONSPIRACY THEORY TIME

Peach wasn't available to chose as a character on the 3DS and Wii U version demo at E3 and Best Buy.

BECAUSE

Toadsworth is her new standard B attack and Toad is a newcomer.

Has anyone ever had a craving for something that doesn't exist anymore?

I have a craving for the TMNT "fruit" pies they had when I was young

They were just vanilla pies with green food coloring or something

But for some reason I can't simulate the taste and I crave it like crazy sometimes

Dem preservatives and lax 1980s food regulations.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
...Right near the beginning of development (or at least shortly after Peach was revealed), with Sakurai saying in said PotD (and only in said PotD, IIRC) that things he showed in the PotD were subject to change.

Like the capsules.

Maybe Toad too?
Can someone pull up that pic? Did he actually say that in the picture?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only thing worth seeing in this video was that Greninja can wall cling and the Gerudo Valley remix, because that Game Spot player was painfully bad to watch, lol!!!
I dunno.

Greninja's voice is lolz worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom