• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I know I like like like-likes, literally (and dont mind em eating me)! It's those stupid zombies and mummies that I hate. *shivers* They're scarier than that evil piano from Mario 64. Then again i never was afraid of that piano. *shivers*
I know you like Like Likes like I like Like Likes but with all the talk about Ike, Like Likes aren't as liked as Ike is. Personally, Like Likes are like Ike in that Like Likes, like Ike, probably might like to ride bikes, if Like Likes, unlike Ike, could ride bikes. In summary, Ike is like Like Likes and in this discussion of Ike and Like Likes, Like Likes I like more than Ike.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Cut the condescending attitude, it doesn't make you seem smarter.

And that's completely opinion based, hypothetically speaking Sakurai could see something unique in either (or both) of those characters and work off of that template. He's made quite a bit of characters unique that we never would've thought would bring what they did to the table, Chrom/Lucina can have a similar case. I don't see why you're so adamant in pushing that they're doomed to be bland characters when Smash as a series is home to so many that were made unique in the first place.
I'm so adamant towards both characters, because it's a bloody eye sore that Fire Emblem is going to be catering to the lowest denominator possible instead of trying to branch out and try something new. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon where it caters to many different types of abilities, but unlike Pokemon it didn't reach that potential, and we're going to get a character that emphasizes that stigma more. I don't want the series to be known as the franchise that provides nothing but blue hair and swords.

Not to mention I'm the type of guy that has bloody imagination. Like when people were complaining about Little Mac being dull with nothing but punches, I had to go out of my way explaining the complications of boxing and the fact that there isn't a single type of punch, but multiple ones. I've emphasized this type of explanation to the point of being philosophical. I went into detail as to why Dillon being an direct clone of Sonic wouldn't work by going into detail that their body shape isn't the same and it would deviate from Dillon's claw based combat, I explained that Dixie Kong being a copy of Diddy Kong wouldn't be possible because she lacks a tail like Diddy Kong and she primarily attacks using her hair and she lacks certain assets that Diddy has like the Rocket Barrels, and I went into details about characters having movesets inspired by outside elements from canon (Lip using plant based combat with a magical girl and cheerleader flare, Takamaru using combat inspired by martial arts like battojutsu and laijutsu, Ridley emphasizing as massive size as both a pro and con and being surprisingly potent in the air similar to Sentinel from Marvel vs. Capcom games). But when ever I see Chrom or Lucina, that motivation is struck down and I draw a blank, and I'm the type of person that detested ideas like the weapon switching and tag teaming, because I knew those ideas would suffer hard from balance problems as shown in previous installments in Super Smash Bros.

Shroob

Sup?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yes, Chrom CAN use lances, but his canon weapon is swords.
Zelda doesn't canonically use the goddess powers from ocarina of time. Adult link doesn't canonically wield the boomerang, Pikachu only learns skull bash in first gen, and Snake doesn't canonically shoot grenade launchers from a helicopter ladder.
Rosalina doesn't canonically use the pointer herself in galaxy either, but she can in smash. You're just saying Chrom can't wield the spear so you can say he's a clone.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I know you like Like Likes like I like Like Likes but with all the talk about Ike, Like Likes aren't as liked as Ike is. Personally, Like Likes are like Ike in that Like Likes, like Ike, probably might like to ride bikes, if Like Likes, unlike Ike, could ride bikes. In summary, Ike is like Like Likes and in this discussion of Ike and Like Likes, Like Likes I like more than Ike.
Okay, I think we milked that pun enough for the day. We don't wanna be beating a dead horse now after all, right? Gotta admit I had a chuckle outta that, though.

Shroob

Sup?
Zelda doesn't canonically use the goddess powers from ocarina of time. Adult link doesn't canonically wield the boomerang, Pikachu only learns skull bash in first gen, and Snake doesn't canonically shoot grenade launchers from a helicopter ladder.
This is reminding me of pre-Brawl talk where everyone thought Sigurd would be the new Fire Emblem character because he uses Lances.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
This is reminding me of pre-Brawl talk where everyone thought Sigurd would be the new Fire Emblem character because he uses Lances.
That has nothing to do with this. This is just you denying Chrom an item that could add to his uniqueness just because.

People seem to be missing the point i'm making. I never said chrom would be as unique as other additions fire emblem could offer, i'm just saying that Chrom being a clone is absurd.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That has nothing to do with this. This is just you denying Chrom an item that could add to his uniqueness just because.
Not really. When you look at official artwork of Chrom, what do you see? Swords. Literally, the man's main drawing in the game is that he uses the Falchion, which is supposed to be Marth's. Ike can use Axes in Awakening, but do people associate Ike with Axes? No. You know why? Because he's known for his swordplay. You know what Toon Link is known for using outside of the standard Link stuff? A giant leaf, a giant hammer, an instrument that can control the wind. Does he use them? No.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not really. When you look at official artwork of Chrom, what do you see? Swords. Literally, the man's main drawing in the game is that he uses the Falchion, which is supposed to be Marth's. Ike can use Axes in Awakening, but do people associate Ike with Axes? No. You know why? Because he's known for his swordplay.
Supposed to be Marth's? Since Marth was long dead by the time Chrom is born... that Falchion is now Chrom's...

Marth can have the original Falchion... and Chrom can have the reforged Falchion.

Shroob

Sup?
Supposed to be Marth's? Since Marth was long dead by the time Chrom is born... that Falchion is now Chrom's...

Marth can have the original Falchion... and Chrom can have the reforged Falchion.
I'm not saying Chrom would be a clone, I'm saying the idea of him using lances of all things would be preposterous when his main drawing point is the Falchion.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Not really. When you look at official artwork of Chrom, what do you see? Swords. Literally, the man's main drawing in the game is that he uses the Falchion, which is supposed to be Marth's. Ike can use Axes in Awakening, but do people associate Ike with Axes? No. You know why? Because he's known for his swordplay.
That argument is absurd. Just because a character is known for something doesn't mean that character can't be unique. Peach and Zelda are known for being damsels in distress, but they are made into competent fighters, the villager is known for fishing, digging and paying his mortgage, yet he was made into a unique fighter with bowling balls and balloons that he doesn't canonically use. Marth and ike are both known for wielding swords, yet they both have a unique style and vastly different ways to play. There are more than two ways to wield a sword, so even if that's all chrom has, he can still draw a different style from it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That argument is absurd. Just because a character is known for something doesn't mean that character can't be unique. Peach and Zelda are known for being damsels in distress, but they are made into competent fighters, the villager is known for fishing, digging and paying his mortgage, yet he was made into a unique fighter. Marth and ike are both known for wielding swords, yet they both have a unique style and vastly different ways to play. There are more than two ways to wield a sword, so even if that's all chrom has, he can still draw a different style from it.
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying Chrom would be a clone. I'm saying him using lances would be, well, dumb.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying Chrom would be a clone. I'm saying him using lances would be, well, dumb.
I can see why you'd think that, but a creative moveset could still be created out of a swords and lance combo. If you think it's strange to see lances on Chrom, then that's fine. As long as you don't say he'll be a damned clone because of it

I would be dumb because Super Smash Bros. in charge of having multiple play styles in one.
You would be dumb because wat? weren't you just criticizing someone earlier for saying like instead of ike?
Multiple weapons don't necessarily mean multiple playstyles, just look at snake or link. Of course, Robin would pull that style off a lot smoother than Chrom would in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't want to know, yet I do at the same time. :confused:
If you're a Leomon, part of the Leomon evolutionary tree, have "Leomon" in your name, or are somehow connected to Leomon, you're going to die.
None have escaped this fate, except for a Leomon that made a background cameo appearance as some kid's partner at the end of the second season. ....though he probably died later.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm so adamant towards both characters, because it's a bloody eye sore that Fire Emblem is going to be catering to the lowest denominator possible instead of trying to branch out and try something new. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon where it caters to many different types of abilities, but unlike Pokemon it didn't reach that potential, and we're going to get a character that emphasizes that stigma more. I don't want the series to be known as the franchise that provides nothing but blue hair and swords.
I can't say I don't see the point in how aesthetically it's disappointing to have just blue-haired swordsman representing a series when many other options exists, it's kind of like how Metroid is mostly represented by lava stages while so many other environments are present in that franchise. However, while aesthetically it can be seen as a bit bland that doesn't mean each of those blue-haired swordsman don't have something to stand out for themselves once we look deeper. As much as you hate the example, if you want to get technical Ike and Marth are considered "blue-haired swordsman" (simplifying it a bit yes, but people rarely make the distinction anyway so just for the sake of the argument) but the two manage to fight differently using a different style of swordplay, which made them unique and interesting despite that initial aesthetic similarity. Chrom (or Lucina) could be a similar case like this, they may have that aesthetic similarity but once you dig deeper that goes away with the moveset they have.

Not to mention I'm the type of guy that has bloody imagination. Like when people were complaining about Little Mac being dull with nothing but punches, I had to go out of my way explaining the complications of boxing and the fact that there isn't a single type of punch, but multiple ones. I've emphasized this type of explanation to the point of being philosophical. I went into detail as to why Dillon being an direct clone of Sonic wouldn't work by going into detail that their body shape isn't the same and it would deviate from Dillon's claw based combat, I explained that Dixie Kong being a copy of Diddy Kong wouldn't be possible because she lacks a tail like Diddy Kong and she primarily attacks using her hair and she lacks certain assets that Diddy has like the Rocket Barrels, and I went into details about characters having movesets inspired by outside elements from canon (Lip using plant based combat with a magical girl and cheerleader flare, Takamaru using combat inspired by martial arts like battojutsu and laijutsu, Ridley emphasizing as massive size as both a pro and con and being surprisingly potent in the air similar to Sentinel from Marvel vs. Capcom games). But when ever I see Chrom or Lucina, that motivation is struck down and I draw a blank, and I'm the type of person that detested ideas like the weapon switching and tag teaming, because I knew those ideas would suffer hard from balance problems as shown in previous installments in Super Smash Bros.
You're not the only one who can imagine different scenarios for characters, many of us have different ideas on how certain characters could be executed to differentiate themselves from others and similarly, many of us can miss the options that make other characters unique. For instance, how many of us foresaw Rosalina's mechanic? It's such a creative idea that I don't think any of us really thought of and despite the stigma behind the character's initial inclusion, it won many over. There are ways to make characters stand out using the tools they have no matter how limited they may be upon first look and Sakurai as a developer has shown quite the imagination in creating these unique movesets even from basically nothing. That's why I have a problem with the idea that Chrom can't be made unique, the options are there and Sakurai has proven time and time again he can work with even limited options to bring forth something that's really interesting, Chrom can be an example of that. Could he be a clone? He could, but it's not a certainty either that he has to rip off another character to make himself look good.

Also, just because they can have balance problems doesn't mean that those ideas won't and shouldn't be implemented, some bring very unique and creative movesets to the table and while they do sometimes suffer they can be improved, particularly since now we have the option of patches. Either way, that's just one way of looking at how Chrom could be unique.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't want the series to be known as the franchise that provides nothing but blue hair and swords.
Sorry to say, but even based on the series itself, it's way too late to be worrying about preventing that, dude. That stigma has already set itself in stone. ¦D

D

Deleted member

Every time people argue about Chrom, a Leomon dies.
Stop killing off the Leomon, they've got enough to worry about without you causing their deaths.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Now you know how I feel every Paper Mario discussion. I won't lie though, Chrom is a relatively boring prospect on face value.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ike and Chrom are boring.

Talk about not boring Fire Emblem characters

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh with how all the newcomers have been so far, inspirational and unique, I think Robin might have the better chance of getting in instead, because of the potential he/she offers far more then any other character from Awakening. Though I would prefer a full mage to a hybird because we really lack a character who is exclusively mid to long range, a full mage like Soren or Micaiha wouldn't need any close range moves, or a manakete with the ability to transform into a dragon, Tiki, or even a Laguz with their own transformation meter, or just even a different weapon from a sword, unless it is the Black Knight who could totally be unique with my idea on how he should be implemented which I would be willing to share if anyone is interested.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The only swordsmen I'm interested in seeing from a Nintendo RPG are Shulk and Isaac. They bring much more to the table than just about any other Fire Emblem character circulating.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The only swordsmen I'm interested in seeing from a Nintendo RPG are Shulk and Isaac. They bring much more to the table than just about any other Fire Emblem character circulating.
Black Knight. :p

At least with the gimmick idea I have for him. Even though there is no way he would ever get in lol.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ike and Chrom are boring.

Talk about not boring not Fire Emblem characters
Fixed. Someone mentioned Paper Mario...

I don't understand what the deal is with Paper Mario.
Or rather, why people would rather have Dr. Mario than Paper Mario.

Round 1, fight.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Well I'd prefer Marth over both of them. But I would really like to see Chrom or Lucina over Isaac. Shulk, however, I want more than the two.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I now have the urge to watch Digimon again, but can't due to satellite internet. Well actually, this late, I could since it doesn't eat up any gigs from 12 AM-5 AM. But meh.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Fixed. Someone mentioned Paper Mario...

I don't understand what the deal is with Paper Mario.
Or rather, why people would rather have Dr. Mario than Paper Mario.

Round 1, fight.
You know the "How about Both" meme?

I have a better one

How about neither

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Digimon? I never got into that. I think I read a Digimon manga but other than that I was never interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom