• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok Gears of War 3. I'm at a loss again.

I download the map pack @IsmaR said was required for online play. I still can't switch to the other join types besides public and link. I still get the same message of how my gamer profile isn;t configured right. But they won;t tell me what is wrong with it in the first place. And I couldn't have been banned as I have never played the game online before. This is starting to be more trouble then I expected.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It should only be illegal to pirate it. Lending it to someone else (physical copies), reselling it to someone else (physical copies), and modding it should be allowed.

EDIT: that'll be my company motto, "As long as you buy it, I don't care what you do with it, except mod the online multiplayer. No unfair advantages in online play. Don't be a ****."
I agree. How is lending or selling game illegal? If you want to get technical your just giving your license to use the software to someone else.

However, I can see where some people would want their games to not be modded, so I don't see it as too unreasonable to allow people to place restrictions on the modding of software.

Another gray area is backing up software. You are legally able to make a back up but problems come in when people distribute those back ups or download pirated software and ROMs claiming it is for back up.
IIRC things like ROM dumping games and making the back up yourself is legal, but downlaoding copies off the web is illegal because you have to be responsible for making the back up yourself. Don't quote me on that but that's at least how I understand/think it to be.

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Club Nintendo

Buy Mario Kart and register it

Get a free game, of a list of 4

Getting The Legend of Zelda™: The Wind Waker HD finally
I'll be getting a free copy of Pikmin 3 with my Mario Kart 8.

I agree. How is lending or selling game illegal? If you want to get technical your just giving your license to use the software to someone else.

However, I can see where some people would want their games to not be modded, so I don't see it as too unreasonable to allow people to place restrictions on the modding of software.

Another gray area is backing up software. You are legally able to make a back up but problems come in when people distribute those back ups or download pirated software and ROMs claiming it is for back up.
IIRC things like ROM dumping games and making the back up yourself is legal, but downloading copies off the web is illegal because you have to be responsible for making the back up yourself. Don't quote me on that but that's at least how I understand/think it to be.
Making a back up for personal use is legal, the redistribution of said back up (for profit or not) is illegal. Mostly because money out of the dev's pockets (publishers can go fornicate themselves).

only online multiplayer modding shouldn't happen. It does give unfair advantages, like endless clips or insta-kill shots in a multiplayer CoD game for example and shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I was planning on buying both Kirby Triple Deluxe and Yoshi's New Island but the Playstation 4 is currently the priority for me.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
It's modification of the game code, which is not what I bought when I got Brawl. Any modifications not approved by Nintendo don't count as anything more than illegal to me. That's also covered under the EULA. I really don't care if it might not count. It counts to me at this point, and I am not willing to take some silly risk.

It's still Brawl with modifications to "make it better". It's nothing more than a replacement at best. I can't see it as anything but that due to how it works. It's replacing the data for different data.

Can't see it any other way.

I'm still not willing to do it. I live in Wisconsin, and in my city, we have a terrible selection of memory cards. Someday if I find a really cheap Wii, I might try this. One that's used. But only when I have tons of extra money, and care enough to modify Brawl to replace it. My issues with Brawl have little to do with the regular gameplay anyway;

• It's the lack of unique Target Tests
  • The super high gravity in the SSE might be easy to disable, I guess
  • I have no idea how to do any real modifications nor do I have time to find out(and nobody made a Brian(Quest 64) skin for anyone, so it means little)
  • I doubt anyone put back L-Cancelling
So yeah. Anything else of note isn't fixable either. Or are just general cheat codes(infinite lives, unhittable, etc). Now, I would've loved if the Wii had an offline only cheat device, but it doesn't. Nintendo made the EULA to prevent that from being created, due to the fact that by not approving it, and creating an EULA that voids your warranty(never mind makes it so they don't have to fix your system if you use a cheat device, well, when it worked) if you use a non-approved product. Regardless of whether anybody likes it or not, it actually does matter in the US where you can actually get in trouble for that. Same with modifying your system. Other countries are far more lax, but eh.
Is this guy actually afraid of getting "caught" with a modded Wii

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
While on the topic of copyright stuff, here is an interesting fact. On the disk for Star Wars: Empire at War, it says it is illegal to sell, trade or lend the game... I got the game from a friend

D

Deleted member

That still doesn't have anything to do with the console, that's simply because Nintendo has the smarter people behind their games. They're the reason we have timeless looking games like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime to begin with, which even after more than 10 years still look great, even if the hardware was incredibly rubbish compared to today's. And to be fair, it's much more important to have such smart people behind the console than to have the most powerful console, and that's always been the case with Nintendo, their consoles have never been the most powerful ones of their generations (not too sure about NES and SNES), but they've managed to distinguish themselves and make truly unique experiences with what they have, yet again proving that graphics hardly matter, especially with the little difference that are between them these days.
The NES was less powerful than the Sega Master System. Not sure about how good the SNES hardware was, although it was better than the Sega Genesis. Good point, though.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, anyone hoping for an adventure mode similar to melee's?
I am. But at least we know that we're getting Smash Run. Which seems to be the Adventure Mode equivalent of the 3DS version. I do hope we'll get something like that for the Wii-U version as well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So Fun Fact: I'm actually almost finished with my first year of college. I've only got two days of real class next week due to Finals, and on Tuesday Evening I'll be doing some major scrubbing at my dorm room. I've already got a head start in moving some stuff back to my house, and while doing that I found the receipt that I got when I purchased Sonic Adventure 2.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, those Snake jokes had me rolling. Thanks a bunch, @ MSmariosonic MSmariosonic !

I had my Physics exams today, which went okay-ish. I've learnt to hate Diffraction.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Eh. I honestly hope the adventure mode will be a Metroidvania esque thing. You know, a free roam platformer basically where you can go in any direction you want. But to get to certain points you need to use certain characters, and you can switch between the characters whenever you want when roaming. Litter some boss battles around it with enemies from games and you have a good single player mode. Better yet if Smash4 does end up having unlockables again this can make it an easier way for those of us who find unlocking characters a chore and don;t like the more traditional methods all that much.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh. I honestly hope the adventure mode will be a Metroidvania esque thing. You know, a free roam platformer basically where you can go in any direction you want. But to get to certain points you need to use certain characters, and you can switch between the characters whenever you want when roaming. Litter some boss battles around it with enemies from games and you have a good single player mode. Better yet if Smash4 does end up having unlockables again this can make it an easier way for those of us who find unlocking characters a chore and don;t like the more traditional methods all that much.
I'm personally hoping that we'll have some areas actually based on Nintendo's series. Much like how Melee had. It felt a little weird not having that in Brawl. Finishing it with a fight against Giga Bowser(or something along those lines)would be cool too.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'm out of college by then, but I'm just gonna watch whatever they have to offer, then hope that the closest Best Buy that has Smash isn't a four hour drive.
maxresdefault1.jpg

But in all seriousness, yeah I'm totally waiting to watch the show! Can't wait to see what they've got up their Nintendo Entertainment Sleeve.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm gonna take a day off school when E3 arrives. Well...only the day the Direct takes place.

Please Understand.
I've already asked off work. Last year I just took off the morning but with everything that's going to go down this year, I'm taking the whole day. All the Smash stuff that's going to be shown is reason enough but with a new Zelda and Metroid practically being a lock and the high probability of at least one old Nintendo franchise getting revived, E3 this year will probably be just as good if not better than E3 2006 and 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom