• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I prefer Project M myself. I can actually make the fit me by putting in music I like more, textures I like(I gave up on character textures for the most part though), and portrait screens I like. I can basically make to where it reflects my tastes basically.

Good luck having a pro Bowser player in Melee. 2nd worst character in the game pretty much. Only Pichu beats it in terms of worst characters.

The only viable characters in Melee are the top 8 and some of the ones in A tier. And Yoshis, or should I say AMSA xD.
You can mod the game without Project M but I guess Project M has come to be the most convenient method. There is some good custom content, but since a lot of people don't use good custom content, it makes me glad no random idiot has ever designed a Smash Bros. game. A lot of people make the game ugly with their tastes. I'm no exception. Who wants to listen to Linkin Park's "New Divide" on Final Destination besides me?

There have been/are pro Bowser players in Melee, like the retired Gimpyfish. But I guess you mean Bowser being their only character...? Almost every low-tier main has a secondary, like Taj, who mains Mewtwo and plays Marth in bad match-ups.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hell. In Melee, my main is Ganondorf, with Bowser as a secondary. Albeit, I need lots of practice as Ganondorf. Although to be fair, I was at a major disadvantage due to the fact that I couldn't tell his Ganondorf apart from mine. :| I did pretty much beat up his Pikachu with my Bowser, though. It helps that Pikachu was not terribly good in Melee and the fact I was on Brinstar, where I had a great advantage there. Last game went sour. I went random, bad idea. Should've stuck with Bowser. I suck as Roy. I think he went back to Ganondorf? I forgot who he played that last time, but meh.

Weirdly enough, back in 64, some very long time ago, I did pretty good against a Pikachu with Donkey Kong. This is probably due to the sole fact that Pikachu, despite being the best, has a severely pathetic defense. Also, I had tons of practice on 64 these days, and won most of them, tiers be damned. :awesome:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just came back from a Mexican Restaurant, in honor of Dillon. I had a seafood soup, and it was DIVINE.

Octopus never tasted so good.... *yum*

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Hell. In Melee, my main is Ganondorf, with Bowser as a secondary. Albeit, I need lots of practice as Ganondorf. Although to be fair, I was at a major disadvantage due to the fact that I couldn't tell his Ganondorf apart from mine. :| I did pretty much beat up his Pikachu with my Bowser, though. It helps that Pikachu was not terribly good in Melee and the fact I was on Brinstar, where I had a great advantage there. Last game went sour. I went random, bad idea. Should've stuck with Bowser. I suck as Roy. I think he went back to Ganondorf? I forgot who he played that last time, but meh.

Weirdly enough, back in 64, some very long time ago, I did pretty good against a Pikachu with Donkey Kong. This is probably due to the sole fact that Pikachu, despite being the best, has a severely pathetic defense. Also, I had tons of practice on 64 these days, and won most of them, tiers be damned. :awesome:
You play ganon idk i expected you to main mewtwo or roy for some reason

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I'm going to call it a night. Here's Jazz sooooo smooth, you'll almost forgive Disney for High School Musical. ALMOST.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Got a quick question for everyone. One that I myself didn't really consider until a few days ago and seems perfect for this community. What if the Wii U version tanks and the 3DS version winds up being amazing?

A lot of posts I've read (I'm a lurker you see :p) seem to have the same general consensus that the Wii U will be the competitive version and the 3DS will likely be inferior. I just felt this was a valid question for those kinds of people.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got Kirby Triple Deluxe

And I got to say, it's the first game where I felt you HAVE to have the 3D on to have the full experience

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I just beat boss 4 in Triple Deluxe. My god was it awesome. Apparently the awesomeness continues because world 5's name is:

Endless Explosions. My god. Who knew Kirby could get this hardcore.

Got to say, I love the music in this game. The mini boss and boss theme especially are awesome.

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I just beat boss 4 in Triple Deluxe. My god was it awesome. Apparently the awesomeness continues because world 5's name is:

Endless Explosions. My god. Who knew Kirby could get this hardcore.

Got to say, I love the music in this game. The mini boss and boss theme especially are awesome.
Michael Bay was Co-Director

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Not even willing to do that. I know it's not literal hacking. But from what I remember, you're still putting unofficial data onto the Wii itself. I refuse to do that no matter what. At least my main one. I'd like to be able to send it in for repairs if necessary. Also, it's online, meaning that stuff gets removed any way. I will not change bricking my Wii for a mod I give zero craps about in the end. Not worth the risk in any way.
But everything is on the SD card. As long as the SD card isn't in the Wii there shouldn't be any data of Project M on the Wii and it doesn't harm the Wii. And it isn't illegal. Not sure what you mean about the online comment. Where have you read that stuff?

Because as far I know there isn't any risk. .-.

You can mod the game without Project M but I guess Project M has come to be the most convenient method. There is some good custom content, but since a lot of people don't use good custom content, it makes me glad no random idiot has ever designed a Smash Bros. game. A lot of people make the game ugly with their tastes. I'm no exception. Who wants to listen to Linkin Park's "New Divide" on Final Destination besides me?
I have "Invitation to Madness" (The Last Story) as the song for Final Destenation. Music is pretty much all I've done so far. Character textures seem iffy since it's isn't good if bones get edited and it can mess-up team color, meaning it must be treated carefully. Stage textures seem more managable though, so I'll probably do those next.

There have been/are pro Bowser players in Melee, like the retired Gimpyfish. But I guess you mean Bowser being their only character...? Almost every low-tier main has a secondary, like Taj, who mains Mewtwo and plays Marth in bad match-ups.
Even with their secondary, what is the highest they ever got in a national like Apex or Evo, or even a regional? I won't deny that there weren't high level players that played those characters. But when I think of "pro" players I think beyond high-level play to the likes of M2, Hungry Box, Mango, Dr. PP, ect... who are arguably a step above high-level play.[

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
And Triple Deluxe gets a 6 from IGN?

IGN shouldn't be allowed to review anything but the shooters and MMORPGS they enjoy.
Jose Otero is known for not liking Kirby. They had a podcast some time ago discussing "What's one Nintendo franchise you'd be okay killing?" and he chose Kirby.

As a huge fan of Kirby, yes, I realize that the series has not done much to improve on its formula. I was disappointed with Kirby's Return to Dreamland because this game was in the works since 2005 (or even 2004) and I've waited so long to play it. Turns out it wasn't as ambitious as it should have been and to be quite honest, the original reveal trailer made it look better than the final product. Is it bad? No. But to me it was underwhelming. Kirby's Squeak Squad is another game I was disappointed with. I found finding all the treasures way easier than Amazing Mirror.

Anyways, I'm enjoying this new Kirby game more than I did the Wii version. Also, the Kirby Fighters is fantastic and I wish there was an online mode. I'm looking forward to beating this game and playing the hard mode and whatever modes they have hidden to be unlocked. And these freaking keychains make me wish I could hook up my 3DS to a 3D Printer. O' Lady Palutena, the fan service!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But everything is on the SD card. As long as the SD card isn't in the Wii there shouldn't be any data of Project M on the Wii and it doesn't harm the Wii. And it isn't illegal. Not sure what you mean about the online comment. Where have you read that stuff?

Because as far I know there isn't any risk. .-.
Automatically voids my warranty. As well as the EULA.

I'm saying that the system updates can easily erase my ability to add any of these modifications to the game. That's what I meant by online.

Anyway, I am not allowed to use any item that isn't officially approved by Nintendo on my system according to the EULA. That means if I do any of this, and something happens, they can easily say "nope" because I used a modified item not approved by them. And I'm pretty sure anything inserted into it, SD Card or not, has lingering data they can find. I am not willing to risk it for some mod I still don't care about. It's not worth the risk whatsoever. I don't care if it's potentially safe. It's still illegal to do where I live, as the EULA is specific to that. Why would I void it? For what? A tiny change? To put back L-Cancelling?(Brawl isn't even that bad without it, preferences or not. It has other problems as is) For silly character mods? Not like there's any worthwhile out there anymore. The only Quest 64-related ones are down. Again, I don't care about Project M and don't recognize it as anything more than an illegal game modification at best. I don't care that people use it for tournaments, mind you. To each their own. But that doesn't mean I want to work with it either. And there's no reason I should have to.

I like Brawl the way it is, even with the small problems it has. The only changes I want wouldn't work, so it's not worth my time. My SD Card is already used for something better, my various Avatars(see that Sea Bass? Stuff like that), actual things I care about like Zelda Classic, and other stuff. Also, I couldn't find any usable SD Card that'd work with my Wii anyway, so that pretty much kills the idea even if I cared.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Jose Otero is known for not liking Kirby. They had a podcast some time ago discussing "What's one Nintendo franchise you'd be okay killing?" and he chose Kirby.
So they got the one anti-Kirby guy to rate that game? Of course.

It's for kids, and it's made by Masahiro Sakurai. It's not going to be complex.

That being said, I care less about difficulty and more about fun, fresh experiences.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

As a huge fan of Kirby, yes, I realize that the series has not done much to improve on its formula. I was disappointed with Kirby's Return to Dreamland because this game was in the works since 2005 (or even 2004) and I've waited so long to play it. Turns out it wasn't as ambitious as it should have been and to be quite honest, the original reveal trailer made it look better than the final product. Is it bad? No. But to me it was underwhelming. Kirby's Squeak Squad is another game I was disappointed with. I found finding all the treasures way easier than Amazing Mirror.

Anyways, I'm enjoying this new Kirby game more than I did the Wii version. Also, the Kirby Fighters is fantastic and I wish there was an online mode. I'm looking forward to beating this game and playing the hard mode and whatever modes they have hidden to be unlocked. And these freaking keychains make me wish I could hook up my 3DS to a 3D Printer. O' Lady Palutena, the fan service!
I really liked Squeek Squad

IMHO the powers in Squeek Squad were done the best in the franchise

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
O' Lady Palutena, the fan service!
Well that is one of Hal's best traits. All their kirby games are filled with fanservice.

I thought Mass Attack was their best in the fanservice department, but they did a little bit more personal things here.

The most obvious being Bandana Dee's Fanon name becoming his canon name. There is also one boss that I unfortunately know about coming up that is a fan-favorite.

Really, from what I played, this game is just full of personality and charm like the usual kirby games.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The most obvious being Bandana Dee's Fanon name becoming his canon name.
I found that interesting when I first read the notice about how he helps Kirby. Bandana Waddle Dee.

And I agree with Mass Attack. They freaking had tracks from Kirby's Air Ride!

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I found that interesting when I first read the notice about how he helps Kirby. Bandana Waddle Dee.

And I agree with Mass Attack. They freaking had tracks from Kirby's Air Ride!
Oh, it gets better. Going to the official website and going to the character section, if you look at Bandana Dee's file, it shows he can be called both Bandana Waddle Dee and Bandana Dee. Here's a picture.

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 9.14.11 PM.png

Mass attack also had amazing minigames that referenced previous kirby games. Then it also had the Squeak Squad help you.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Anyway, I am not allowed to use any item that isn't officially approved by Nintendo on my system according to the EULA. That means if I do any of this, and something happens, they can easily say "nope" because I used a modified item not approved by them. And I'm pretty sure anything inserted into it, SD Card or not, has lingering data they can find. I am not willing to risk it for some mod I still don't care about. It's not worth the risk whatsoever. I don't care if it's potentially safe. It's still illegal to do where I live, as the EULA is specific to that. Why would I void it? For what? A tiny change? To put back L-Cancelling?(Brawl isn't even that bad without it, preferences or not. It has other problems as is) For silly character mods? Not like there's any worthwhile out there anymore. The only Quest 64-related ones are down. Again, I don't care about Project M and don't recognize it as anything more than an illegal game modification at best. I don't care that people use it for tournaments, mind you. To each their own. But that doesn't mean I want to work with it either. And there's no reason I should have to.
Out of curiosity now, where do you live.

It may be illegal for you to put it in. But I am quite confident the modification itself isn't illegal, the PMBR even has restriction like if they were to put in more characters along with Roy and Mewtwo that they must be characters that made an appearance in Brawl in some shape or form, like a trophy or stage hazard, I mean why the restriction if it was illegal? Plus with all the publicity it has been gaining if it were really illegal I would ahve figured Nintendo would have done something about it by like a Cease and Desist order, but I'm pretty sure they can do that if the people behind the mod made money off of it, which they don't.

I like Brawl the way it is, even with the small problems it has.
Your looking at like a replacement for Brawl.

I look at it as a new game with new stuff. As it hasn't replaced Brawl for me since I still play Brawl.

I want to clarify though. I'm not trying to push you into getting the mod as I respect your opinion on it. There were just a couple of iffy things I saw that bothered me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Out of curiosity now, where do you live.

It may be illegal for you to put it in. But I am quite confident the modification itself isn't illegal, the PMBR even has restriction like if they were to put in more characters along with Roy and Mewtwo that they must be characters that made an appearance in Brawl in some shape or form, like a trophy or stage hazard, I mean why the restriction if it was illegal? Plus with all the publicity it has been gaining if it were really illegal I would ahve figured Nintendo would have done something about it by like a Cease and Desist order, but I'm pretty sure they can do that if the people behind the mod made money off of it, which they don't.
It's modification of the game code, which is not what I bought when I got Brawl. Any modifications not approved by Nintendo don't count as anything more than illegal to me. That's also covered under the EULA. I really don't care if it might not count. It counts to me at this point, and I am not willing to take some silly risk.

Your looking at like a replacement for Brawl.

I look at it as a new game with new stuff. As it hasn't replaced Brawl for me since I still play Brawl.
It's still Brawl with modifications to "make it better". It's nothing more than a replacement at best. I can't see it as anything but that due to how it works. It's replacing the data for different data.

Can't see it any other way.

I'm still not willing to do it. I live in Wisconsin, and in my city, we have a terrible selection of memory cards. Someday if I find a really cheap Wii, I might try this. One that's used. But only when I have tons of extra money, and care enough to modify Brawl to replace it. My issues with Brawl have little to do with the regular gameplay anyway;

• It's the lack of unique Target Tests
  • The super high gravity in the SSE might be easy to disable, I guess
  • I have no idea how to do any real modifications nor do I have time to find out(and nobody made a Brian(Quest 64) skin for anyone, so it means little)
  • I doubt anyone put back L-Cancelling
So yeah. Anything else of note isn't fixable either. Or are just general cheat codes(infinite lives, unhittable, etc). Now, I would've loved if the Wii had an offline only cheat device, but it doesn't. Nintendo made the EULA to prevent that from being created, due to the fact that by not approving it, and creating an EULA that voids your warranty(never mind makes it so they don't have to fix your system if you use a cheat device, well, when it worked) if you use a non-approved product. Regardless of whether anybody likes it or not, it actually does matter in the US where you can actually get in trouble for that. Same with modifying your system. Other countries are far more lax, but eh.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm still not willing to do it. I live in Wisconsin, and in my city, we have a terrible selection of memory cards. Someday if I find a really cheap Wii, I might try this. One that's used. But only when I have tons of extra money, and care enough to modify Brawl to replace it. My issues with Brawl have little to do with the regular gameplay anyway;
Please read edited post where I clarify that I'm not trying to push you into actually getting it.

Nintendo made the EULA to prevent that from being created, due to the fact that by not approving it, and creating an EULA that voids your warranty(never mind makes it so they don't have to fix your system if you use a cheat device, well, when it worked) if you use a non-approved product. Regardless of whether anybody likes it or not, it actually does matter in the US where you can actually get in trouble for that. Same with modifying your system. Other countries are far more lax, but eh.
I live in the US though. And I'm still sure the hackless method of PM is not illegal because it doesn't modify the system, only the game. If you were talking about Homebrew I could see where you are coming from because that does require your system to be modified, however PM doesn't. there have also been numerous updates since PM was first released. None of them have stopped it from working yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please read edited post where I clarify that I'm not trying to push you into actually getting it.
I know about that. I read the part about the whole mod and C&D order. Still don't really care.

I live in the US though. And I'm still sure the hackless method of PM is not illegal because it doesn't modify the system, only the game. If you were talking about Homebrew I could see where you are coming from because that does require your system to be modified, however PM doesn't. there have also been numerous updates since PM was first released. None of them have stopped it from working yet.
I see zero difference here. It's still a modification not approved by Nintendo. Whether it's the game or system means absolutely nothing to me. If they didn't approve of it, I'm going to say no. It's not like with the Game Genie where they were forced to be okay with it either.

Either way, not like it's worth it either. I can't get a working SD Card for it, so it's a waste of time for me as is. You'll have to find me a lot of Quest 64 hacks for me to actually go out and buy a new Wii for it(I am not willing to remove all my Custom Courses for this. :|).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Digital media law really needs some fixing. There are so many gray areas in it.

From what I know regarding modifying software, the consumer is allowed to do modify anything they own or in this case licensed to their hearrts content. It is only illegal if you break any copyright protection software in doing so.

Regarding agreements about not modifying it, I'm pretty sure in Australia agreements mean squat if they go against consumer law, so saying you can't modify software in a contract means crap.

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Digital media law really needs some fixing. There are so many gray areas in it.

From what I know regarding modifying software, the consumer is allowed to do modify anything they own or in this case licensed to their hearrts content. It is only illegal if you break any copyright protection software in doing so.

Regarding agreements about not modifying it, I'm pretty sure in Australia agreements mean squat if they go against consumer law, so saying you can't modify software in a contract means crap.
It should only be illegal to pirate it. Lending it to someone else (physical copies), reselling it to someone else (physical copies), and modding it should be allowed.

EDIT: that'll be my company motto, "As long as you buy it, I don't care what you do with it, except mod the online multiplayer. No unfair advantages in online play. Don't be a ****."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom