• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Metroid's not as obscure as it once was. I'd argue that Samus took over Lara Croft's thrown as the most recognizable and popular girl in gaming nearly a decade ago.
I'd argue that Peach is the most recognizable girl in gaming over Samus.

But in terms of women who go on typically male adventures Lara and Samus is a better comparison.

But then Peach does often go on Mario's adventures with him as well so.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's sexist the person is calling it sexist that Little Mac is hitting a girl

What, guys can hit other guys but can't hit girls?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly if people are alright with a female sending three males flying....

They should be able to handle a guy punching one female into the sky....

But I guess that's just my opinion.

In the end, it's just a fighting game and males and females alike are bound to be beating each other up anyway.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think it's sexist the person is calling it sexist that Little Mac is hitting a girl

What, guys can hit other guys but can't hit girls?
Well, I mean in a real world situation nobody should be hitting anybody. Girl on girl. Man on man. Woman on Man. Man on Woman.

All wrong really, but only one is often focused on as a huge problem.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That person obviously doesn't realize that's a Japanese anime cliche where the short person gets overly angry for being called short

Watch Full Metal Alchemist

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd argue that Peach is the most recognizable girl in gaming over Samus.

But in terms of women who go on typically male adventures Lara and Samus is a better comparison.

But then Peach does often go on Mario's adventures with him as well so.
Well, I meant stand alone or someone who regularly stars in their own games.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
In an ideal world, any and all sex/gender configurations would be freely capable of curb-stomping any and all other sex/gender configurations.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well, I meant stand alone or someone who regularly stars in their own games.
Even then I do love Samus, and maybe I'm in the wrong gaming circles, but I still hear more people drop Lara's name than Samus's.

Though I will say nearly any and all gamers are aware that Samus is a woman in a suit of armor.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In an ideal world, any and all sex/gender configurations would be freely capable of curb-stomping any and all other sex/gender configurations.
Well, yeah, and not to get serious on anybody. This is a forum for a game after all...

Is violence against anyone ever really often necessary? I mean if the person attacks you first and they're trying to come at you and **** you up? By all means **** their ass up. Especially if they're trying to kill you. Fight back. I don't care in that situation if they're a man, woman, trans man, trans woman, any other various gender identification.

If that person is trying to hurt you, you either get out of that situation by running the **** away or you hit back.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When people make complaints like this I think it takes away something from one of big things that makes Smash Bros great. As far as video games go, it's a great equalizer. Peach can beat up Mario and Bowser. Zelda, a character who's almost always in support roles, can take down Link. It takes a lot of video games tropes about gender and turns them completely on their heads because it's just about everybody kicking the crap out of each other for the fun of it. It's not malevolent; it's simple, slapstick fun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When people make complaints like this I think it takes away something from one of big things that makes Smash Bros great. As far as video games go, it's a great equalizer. Peach can beat up Mario and Bowser. Zelda, a character who's almost always in support roles, can take down Link. It takes a lot of video games tropes about gender and turns them completely on their heads because it's just about everybody kicking the crap out of each other for the fun of it. It's not malevolent; it's simple, slapstick fun.
Tell that to the people that use peach in smash to take upshots

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Think this is bad?
I'm forgetting where it is (if anyone can din a link that'll be great), but I remember seeing a thread on Gamefaqs once (on the Pokemon X board) about someone complaining that the line the professor says it's "Are you a boy or girl?" "When it should be "Are you a girl or boy?"". I'm not kidding.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, now that I think about it

The reason they probably picked Samus in the first place was because she is a woman

And men are typically taller than women

In Love Hina, Motoko feels bad she's taller than Keitaro when he's tryinng to help her be more feminine (Because of a bet)

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Well, yeah, and not to get serious on anybody. This is a forum for a game after all...

Is violence against anyone ever really often necessary? I mean if the person attacks you first and they're trying to come at you and **** you up? By all means **** their *** up. Especially if they're trying to kill you. Fight back. I don't care in that situation if they're a man, woman, trans man, trans woman, any other various gender identification.

If that person is trying to hurt you, you either get out of that situation by running the **** away or you hit back.
Indeed. Violence for the purpose of necessary self-defense and/or the defense of others is certainly permissible (though such situations are never ideal to begin with).

Resorting to violence as a go-to solution to your problems before considering others demonstrates a lack of imagination, and the presence of a narrow, self-centered mind (since you cannot bring yourself to consider working with the person(s) you are at odds with, rather than against them; or then, to walk away, or implement other solutions that don't result in some measure of assault).

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

And again, if that had been someone like Mario or Ike getting punched, even though they didn't attack first, that's suddenly perfectly fine. I love double standards.

Think this is bad?
I'm forgetting where it is (if anyone can din a link that'll be great), but I remember seeing a thread on Gamefaqs once (on the Pokemon X board) about someone complaining that the line the professor says it's "Are you a boy or girl?" "When it should be "Are you a girl or boy?"". I'm not kidding.
I hate the world.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Think this is bad?
I've seen trans people be upset there was no option for them. Don't get me wrong I love my transfriends of the LGBTQ rainbow, but...

Really in a game where you can practically create your perfect ideal avatar? Why not answer the question with the gender you identify with. After all that's your want for your personal body.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And again, if that had been someone like Mario or Ike getting punched, even though they didn't attack first, that's suddenly perfectly fine. I love double standards.

I hate the world.
I think my explanation is WHY they didn't pick Ike or Mario

Other than the fact Mario is NOT taller than Little Mac

I think the reason they picked Samus is because they wanted a woman, but didn't want to see someone that LOOKED like a woman being hit

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Samus is a pretty tall woman even without her power suit. With some things I've seen suggesting is probably about six feet tall, though I've seen quite a bit of difference in this ranging from as short as 5'5" to 6'3" so once again, Nintendo sizes. Of course the fact that anyone is missing the joke in that trailer is a little odd to me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually, now that I think about it

The reason they probably picked Samus in the first place was because she is a woman

And men are typically taller than women
It's a reference to when Little Mac was revealed as an assist trophy:

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist10.html

Samus is 6'3 so she's abnormally tall for a woman while Little Mac is abnormally short for a man (I think he's even shorter than Mario).

Tell that to the people that use peach in smash to take upshots
Peach could be an actual peach and people would find a way to sexualize her.

T

Trick or Treat

I think my explanation is WHY they didn't pick Ike or Mario

Other than the fact Mario is NOT taller than Little Mac

I think the reason they picked Samus is because they wanted a woman, but didn't want to see someone that LOOKED like a woman being hit
No, I understand all that. I just didn't realize they were complaining solely about the trailer and apparently are fine with regular gameplay.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
In the midst of all this, we shouldn't forget to show some love for the agendered Smashers. Like R.O.B. and Mewtwo.

And maybe Yoshi.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's a reference to when Little Mac was revealed as an assist trophy:

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist10.html

Samus is 6'3 so she's abnormally tall for a woman while Little Mac is abnormally short for a man (I think he's even shorter than Mario).

Peach could be an actual peach and people would find a way to sexualize her.
And that's probably why they used that picture of samus in Brawl as well

It's a male to female typical height stereotype joke

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
pretty much this; also there's always rematches. I mean, come on, Bowser has to beat up Mario eventually right?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Sexism is just a bad topic to talk about. :C

People use it as a excuse to have double standards, blow things (no pun intended) out of proportions, to hate on something, and lots of other crap. And other times people not putting in a lot of thought when they go for certain equality rights or just not understanding certain things.

Which is why I just try to avoid discussing it all together. All it does is become a ****fest eventually.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

In the midst of all this, we shouldn't forget to show some love for the agendered Smashers. Like R.O.B. and Mewtwo.

And maybe Yoshi.
Well, I mean, just look at how mistreated robots have been in video games.

Sexism is just bad top talk about. :C

People use it as a excuse to have double standards, blow things (no pun intended) out of proportions, to hate on something, and lots of other crap. And other times people not putting in a lot of thought when they go for certain equality rights or just not understanding certain things.

Which is why I just try to avoid discussing it all together. All it does is become a ****fest eventually.
Yeah. Extremists for every issue (feminism, racism, sexuality, etc) never seem to know that actual meaning of "equality." A lot of these vigilantes of justice, with their false sense of bravado, think it means putting the other group down, as inferiors.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sexism is just bad top talk about. :C

I try to avoid talking about any world issues recently

I have so much stress in my life as it is I just want to avoid the world and everything else

I kind of just joke around and make one liners now to lighten the mood

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I dislike how the term "feminist" got so skewed in today's society (though this isn't only recent) that it's like practically lost its meaning thanks to misconceptions.

I'm a feminist because I'm a person that strives for equality for both genders in society. There may be some feminists that hate men, but that's irrelevant because it has nothing to do with feminism itself -- feminism is about gender equality. It's those extremists that get on people's nerves, yeah?

I thought Little Mac getting angry at Samus was adorable actually, they way he got all red and all lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom