• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ Kaye Cruiser Kaye Cruiser
I was talking about Mac.
I understand why people complain about Pac.
Plus he ain't in the game yet...
Or possibly at all. However, if he's not playable, I think, due to Namco-Bandai working on the game, he might still show up as a regular Trophy or Sticker at least. I mean, the guy is an arcade icon and should get some recognition.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
Being 20 years old and 5 foot 5 inches tall, took karate for 10 years and was a blackbelt before college was a thing, participated in 4 international karate tournaments, and earned a trophy that as just as tall as I was when I was 9 at one of them. Yeah Little Mac looks like my kind of guy!

Last edited:

relisthain

Smash Apprentice
It kinda looks like Mac takes damage/gets hit during his counter move, does it look like that to anyone else?

Kef

Smash Apprentice

I had never seen this. Too godlike.

"He ain't got no arms, how he gonna hit you back?"
"A comeback is like a yo-yo, you gon go down, but you comin right back up... and then you might end up walking the dog"

relisthain

Smash Apprentice
Not at first, I'll have to see again.
Although that defeats the point of a counter, if you get hurt.
He seems to be a tank in that during a number of moves he doesn't flinch (super armor I think it is called?), also it would differentiate him further from other characters.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

I had never seen this. Too godlike.

"He ain't got no arms, how he gonna hit you back?"
"A comeback is like a yo-yo, you gon go down, but you comin right back up... and then you might end up walking the dog"
This is brilliant.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this was said, but it looks like Little Mac gets a power boost when he K.Os someone?

A red burst of energy appeared around him at the exact moments he K.O'd Megaman and Bowser respectively.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm going to admit this right now.

I was someone who doubted Little Mac.

While I wouldn't say he wasn't likely, I just didn't think he was shoe-in.

My reasoning was that if Panel de Pon could get a bunch of references without getting a character, I don't see why Little Mac couldn't either.

I felt I needed more evidence. Something like Ridley, where it became obvious he wasn't becoming a stage hazard or an assist trophy any time soon.

Well, Sakurai decided to give me more evidence...With an amazing trailer.

I'm the type of guy who thinks that, regardless of if they are unique or not, as long as they look fun to play then I'm fine with their inclusion. And boy does Little Mac look fun to play as.

Whats even better is that Little mac himself being a playable character pretty much makes any character who was NPC in any of the smash games before smash 4 suddenly have a much bigger chance which I approve of. Though, can't recall really any characters that I personally would want that was previously in NPC. Have to think of that.

Also, western audiences confirm to actually matter so yep, Ridley is pretty much a guarantee.

Speaking a bit back of Panel de Pon...Maybe?...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm going to admit this right now.

I was someone who doubted Little Mac.

While I wouldn't say he wasn't likely, I just didn't think he was shoe-in.

My reasoning was that if Panel de Pon could get a bunch of references without getting a character, I don't see why Little Mac couldn't either.

I felt I needed more evidence. Something like Ridley, where it became obvious he wasn't becoming a stage hazard or an assist trophy any time soon.

Well, Sakurai decided to give me more evidence...With an amazing trailer.

I'm the type of guy who thinks that, regardless of if they are unique or not, as long as they look fun to play then I'm fine with their inclusion. And boy does Little Mac look fun to play as.

Whats even better is that Little mac himself being a playable character pretty much makes any character who was NPC in any of the smash games before smash 4 suddenly have a much bigger chance which I approve of. Though, can't recall really any characters that I personally would want that was previously in NPC. Have to think of that.
This. Only with me it was with with Rosalina.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm going to admit this right now. I was someone who doubted Little Mac.
I think many people doubted Mac's chances. Even his supporters. But like Doc Louis says, you can never give up.

Everything else
Yeah, I wish I could be that open-minded when it comes to playable characters. But I hate Tingle and Mii and no moveset will ever change that.

Also, western audiences confirm to actually matter so yep, Ridley is pretty much a guarantee.
I could see that. But Ridley's problems lie well beyond his popularity.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ridley is beyond a guarantee at this point. After Little Mac's reveal I really don't see any argument that the anti-Ridley crowd has left.

"Ridley is a stage hazard." - 1 million Pyrosphere pics/clips later no hazard in sight
"Sakurai doesn't care about the western audience." - Little Mac
"Ridley is too big." - And Olimar is too small

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley is not guaranteed(he definitely has a chance, though), but the arguments against him(that are commonly used) are pretty weak.

However, if people think he's better off gigantic and/or a hazard, I can respect that. Of the reasons I heard, I see their point. Ridley being small is very odd considering gameplay-wise(not his appearance in the Melee intro), he was known for being gigantic overall. Some find him being made smaller an insult to his character. I can understand that view point.

But saying he couldn't work in Smash at a smaller size? I disagree. Now, I remember somebody hacking a small-sized version of Ridley into Brawl and making him near identical to his boss moves, taking a bit of attacks from Charizard too(who was the base character used). He worked pretty well in that regard, so I don't honestly believe him being small would make him a problem to play as at all. Also, a lot of people forget that the biggest issue is his tail possibly having too large of a hitbox due to its length. As for him looking horrid, he has multiple designs anyway. If Meta-Ridley looked good yet small in the Melee intro, they can certainly do it here too. I'm okay with him not being nearly as skinny or a bit more fattened up if it means he's playable.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I first heard of Punch-Out!! in Animal Crossing, I think. I got that NES game via AR and tried it out. And I really did like the game.

I'm glad I didn't doubt Little Mac's chances, although I'm not really a big supporter. However, the trailer did get me hyped to try him out. I mean, you're telling me I could play as a sweaty, sexy boxer with an aggressive playstyle? Like damn, sign me up lol!

Sorry, I'm a sucker for these things. Well... that's one way to win me over. :laugh:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Finally watched the direct. Little Mac's intro is glorious. :awesome:

Please excuse me being late.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Mega Man and Little Mac are perhaps the most universally well-received characters thus far. I like that. Props to Sakurai and his team.

On an unrelated note, I downloaded Mega Man 2 and Retro City Rampage DX on my 3DS. Liking Mega Man 2 so far and yet to try Retro. But they both look great.

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
Mega Man and Little Mac are perhaps the most universally well-received characters thus far. I like that. Props to Sakurai and his team.

On an unrelated note, I downloaded Mega Man 2 and Retro City Rampage DX on my 3DS. Liking Mega Man 2 so far and yet to try Retro. But they both look great.
MM2 is great, but I got stuck in Wily's Castle and gave up a long time ago. That game sits on my 3ds menu taunting me.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
They said they would be revealed at E3. They were not. It's false.
It isn't false though. It'll be completely false if Mii and Pac-man aren't in the final product. So far, I'm thinking there is some weight to this rumor. Who would have guessed Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer to be revealed? It's more than just a coincidence.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
MM2 is great, but I got stuck in Wily's Castle and gave up a long time ago. That game sits on my 3ds menu taunting me.
I watched the entire Game Grumps Let's Play of it in one sitting and it looks like it spikes in difficulty in the Wily's Castle sections.

The levels are actually quite easy. Beat Wood Man and Flash Man so far. The only real thing that is tricky for me is the platform placement being so close to the screen transition point on Quick Man's stage where a beam comes in from the right. You have to immediately skid off the edge! Can't wait to see what all the fuss about Air Man is about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It isn't false though. It'll be completely false if Mii and Pac-man aren't in the final product. So far, I'm thinking there is some weight to this rumor. Who would have guessed Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer to be revealed? It's more than just a coincidence.
Someone who was tipped off on those characters who then added the other three to add spice to the rumour he was about to spread.
Or anyone who knew what characters were popular or relevant to Nintendo at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom