• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I liked Metroid: Other M.

I liked cutscenes, I liked Samus, I liked Ridley, I liked butts, I liked gameplay.

I just don't get from which corner the hate is coming from...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

I liked cutscenes, I liked Samus, I liked Ridley, I liked butts, I liked gameplay.

...Wow.
...Just, wow.

Did we even see the same game?
Cause I don't know which one you played, but it certainly wasn't Other: M.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think Shulk is popular for a few reasons. One is that he is one of the only new Nintendo characters to be created in the last few years with any sort of Smash potential. Another is that his game has a large and legit cult following world wide, and was really, really, well received critically. Japan also has a huge second hand video game culture, so I'm sure a lot of people played Xenoblade used. Still though, it wasn't huge hit.

Another fun number I looked up because of something someone said in the rumors thread:

F-Zero game (GX) - 650,000 sold. (over 10 years ago, by the way)
Kid Icarus Uprising - 1,120,000 sold.

So Palutena > another F-Zero rep :p

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
F-Zero game (GX) - 650,000 sold. (over 10 years ago, by the way)
Kid Icarus Uprising - 1,120,000 sold.

So Palutena > another F-Zero rep :p
And yet somehow Captain Falcon is still in after all these years.
What's with that? Maybe it's because sales don't matter.

Sakurai doesn't look at who sold the most.
He looks at who's the most iconic, and the most unique for the job.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
People have different reasons for liking things and there is alot of variation. Other M is no expection to that matter. I mean I like Super Pitfall for the NES, and that game was abyssally broken and non-functional lol.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And yet somehow Captain Falcon is still in after all these years.
What's with that? Maybe it's because sales don't matter.

Sakurai doesn't look at who sold the most.
He looks at who's the most iconic, and the most unique for the job.
Yes, popularity matters, and popularity does equate to game sales. This is nothing against F-zero, just that people that some how claim that a new F-Zero rep is more important then a Kid Icarus rep, because it's a "more important franchise." Well, it's not.... and Palutena is more popular then any secondary F-Zero rep anyway.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
> Other: M
> Liked
Now I've seen everything.
I liked it too. It definitely wasn't the best Metroid but I like what they tried (keyword: tried) to do with the Metroid franchise. My main gripes are Adam and how linear the game was compared to past Metroids. Overall, I'd give it a B-. *drops mic and walks out*

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I liked it too. It definitely wasn't the best Metroid but I like what they tried (keyword: tried) to do with the Metroid franchise. My main gripes are Adam and how linear the game was compared to past Metroids. Overall, I'd give it a B-. *drops mic and walks out*
Well spoken...

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I never played Other M, didn't have the time or money to get it when it came out, and never made time for it because of word of mouth. Is it worth picking up in a bargain bin?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Maybe Europeans liked Other M...maybe i'm special...maybe i'm a God?
Then I'm very afraid.

Anyway...why did you change your avatar...Barney was neat...
The time was over.
I had it for a week. Now I'm Waddle Dee because of APC99 (I have the worst luck).
Not that it matters. I'll pick Waddle Dee over Barney any day...

Is this even Barney?

Fake.
It was clearly Photoshopped.

Yes, but popularity matters, and popularity does equate to game sales.
Okami says hi.
Remember? It was a bomb. Yet somehow, it got Game of the Year.
Mind you this was also when Twilight Princess came out.

So my point still stands.

This is nothing against F-zero, just that people that some how claim that a new F-Zero rep is more important then a Kid Icarus rep, because it's a "more important franchise."
So, F-Zero isn't important?
Since I guess relevancy is the flavor of the day. let me put it this way.

No, it isn't. Heck, it died off a long time ago.
KI: U just brought it back, if anything.
F-Zero is the popular of the two.

Well, it's not.... and Palutena is more popular then any secondary F-Zero rep anyway.
Your opinions =/= fact.

WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?!

There's more to that which leads to my hatred.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
If you can get it cheap, it's at playable and I thought they did all right for what they had. Just don't expect the story to blow you away or anything.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Then I'm very afraid.

Okami says hi.
Remember? It was a bomb. Yet somehow, it got Game of the Year.
Mind you this was also when Twilight Princess came out.

So my point still stands.

So, F-Zero isn't important?
Since I guess relevancy is the flavor of the day. let me put it this way.

No, it isn't. Heck, it died off a long time ago.
KI: U just brought it back, if anything.
F-Zero is the popular of the two.

Your opinions =/= fact.
Your opinion also does not equal fact. What makes you so sure F-Zero is the more popular franchise? Show me a poll or it's jsut what YOU think is more popular.

Also Okami is a critically acclaimed game, but that doesn't make it popular. It makes it critically acclaimed. They didn't lead with Okami when they announced Marvel vs. Capcom 3. You know why? It's not that popular. It wasn't Devil May Cry or Resident Evil, which are games that didn't review as well, but guess what? They sold a BUNCH more.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It definitely doesn't hit Nintendo quality but it's far from unplayable. They made some bold moves with the game that ultimately fell flat on its face but I can respect the fact that they tried. I like the premise that Ridley "evolves", I like that they tried to make Samus more three dimensional as a character by giving her emotions and actually having functioning relationships with other people, I really like what they tried to do with Mother Brain, I liked all the references to past Metroid games, and I like that they tried to give the game a legitimate story. Again, the game is a series of swings and misses but I think most people's hate for the game is over-the-top, especially with how experimental it was in essence.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Tell us how you feel.
It all started when I was born.

Pretty sure that's my fault... I have a horrible tendency to derail that thread like nobodies business (not on purpose, I swear)... I'm on Spring Break and, because I work for a University, I'm pretty much getting paid to post here and derp around on the internet for 8 hours a day so...
Oh, it's not like I mind, especially considering other mods do the same and can at least keep the discussions from getting out of hand (usually). Considering I inherited the thread temporarily, I wanted to keep it running pretty much the same as it was before (coughwhatironfistcough), AKA like the RPD/Miiverse reboots. I think I'm at fault for not pointing this out in the OP, mostly out of fear that if I mess with things too much I'll break it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's just a interesting piece on how people's tastes in games have changed where a bad story could make far more of a negative impact compared to generations past.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Your opinion also does not equal fact. What makes you so sure F-Zero is the more popular franchise? Show me a poll or it's jsut what YOU think is more popular.
Well, fine, let's go game by game.
F-Zero, for one, spawned not only numerous games, but it's own anime.
Well, that has to mean something right?
Now, let's look at KI.
Which was a niche genre at best. Only spawning two other games.

The problem here is you're only focusing on one game, KI:U, and running with it.
You can't judge a franchise based on one game. Who have to look at the entire franchise.

Also Okami is a critically acclaimed game, but that doesn't make it popular. It makes it critically acclaimed.
Well, apparently it is.
"Critically Acclaimed" means that there is some fanbase to it, and it has some reception. "Popularity", if you will.

They didn't lead with Okami when they announced Marvel vs. Capcom 3. You know why? It's not that popular. It wasn't Devil May Cry or Resident Evil, which are games that didn't review as well, but guess what? They sold a BUNCH more.
And I wouldn't expect it that way.
Like how they wouldn't put Arthur as the main star.

It definitely doesn't hit Nintendo quality but it's far from unplayable. They made some bold moves with the game that ultimately fell flat on its face but I can respect the fact that they tried. I like the premise that Ridley "evolves", I like that they tried to make Samus more three dimensional as a character by giving her emotions and actually having functioning relationships with other people, I really like what they tried to do with Mother Brain, I liked all the references to past Metroid games, and I like that they tried to give the game a legitimate story. Again, the game is a series of swings and misses but I think most people's hate for the game is over-the-top, especially with how experimental it was in essence.
And by "emotions", you mean a complete mess of a character.

It all started when I was born.
All right.
*scribbles notes*
What about it?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Aaaah...I see it...hatred is spreading on SmashBoards...

Well...here's my last gif...

Thou shall hate me for this...

It's not nudity, right? Right?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Here, this video summed it up best I feel from the western side:

For the Japanese side, surprisingly they're just as mixed according to this. They even liked the Prime subseries more: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

Personally, my opinions are more along the lines of the Extra Credit video, they had great ideas, but they really fell short with most of them. The Ridley scene is where this spectacularly shows because it doesn't catch up the new fans (how are they supposed to know about Ridley's relationship with Samus?), doesn't explain itself well even for those familiar with it, and doesn't do anything with it once it's said and done (Anthony comes back, there's no rematch to show how much Samus has learned from the incident, it's resolved without her input), so the scene is really badly handled and of course that shows in the controversy. This is one of the cases where if they had a second opinion to bounce off of and catch those bad ideas it could've been a great game, but unfortunately that wasn't what happened.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, fine, let's go game by game.
F-Zero, for one, spawned not only numerous games, but it's own anime.
Well, that has to mean something right?
Now, let's look at KI.
Which was a niche genre at best. Only spawning two other games.

The problem here is you're only focusing on one game, KI:U, and running with it.
You can't judge a franchise based on one game. Who have to look at the entire franchise.

Well, apparently it is.
"Critically Acclaimed" means that there is some fanbase to it, and it has some reception. "Popularity", if you will.

And I wouldn't expect it that way.
Like how they wouldn't put Arthur as the main star.
Critical acclaim is the not the same as popularity. It means critics liked it. Critics like lots of things, it means it's popular in certain circles, but it has nothing to do with main stream popularity. You think the movies that win big at the Oscars are the most popular movies of the year? Seriously, look at what won this year and come back to me with that argument.

F-Zero had an anime a long time ago, which doesn't say anything about it's popularity NOW. Kid Icarus was also popular enough to have an animated character based on him in Captain N once upon a time. He was, in fact, the ONLY first party Nintendo character to star in the show. F-zero also has 4 games to Kid Icarus' 3 games, lets not pretend we're talking about Donkey Kong over here. I love F-Zero, I really do, I even hope it gets another rep. I'm just saying it's not any more important of a franchise then Kid Icarus.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said, they tried instead of insisting that Samus continued to be a monotone super woman. I think her personality turned people off not because of the personality itself but because it was so often forced in your face in the buttload of monologues the game had. From the way I see it, Metroid Prime and Other M are two sides of the same coin. Both were extremely risky. One failed. One prevailed. I would say that they tried instead of completely half assing it the whole way through and that's what keeps me from hating the game because if you try hard and fail, there's something at least somewhat respectable about that, but if you fail because you didn't really try, well, then you pretty much got what you deserved.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm not a fan of bandwagon hatred for things the majority proclaims is terrible, but I can see why peoples' opinion towards the game relative to the series is justified.

I stopped arguing for Other M forever ago despite loving the game, but this pretty much sums up any and everything as far as the "wrecked character" view goes. Bit lengthy, but it also points out the problems people had with things like item authorization and Sakamoto's unbelievablly misguided vision/direction.

All in all I love the series enough to oversee and still enjoy what it has become, though I obviously hope they go back to the formula everyone has come to know and love in the future.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I love Extra Credits. They are pretty informative, and don't present BS reasons like ''this game sucks/rules because it sucks/rules.''

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well, if you my side.
This should work.
It sums up the reasons why I find it to be an awful game.
As I said before, I respect your/their/anyone's views, but this

...not playing this game.
kinda makes me not want to bother refuting further. They can complain, send whatever message they want with the whole "not giving Nintendo money" thing and all as much as they want, but I'm wondering what the point of hating a video game series (especially Metroid, which has always been as insert Missile A into Boss B as a series can get) specifically for its story really accomplishes. Granted I'm aware how much the story was forced on you, with mandatory cutscenes/theatre mode, I'd still say it's an awful story behind a sub-par to decent game, depending on your views. I respect the mentality that a bad story drags anything down, but story isn't always that important to everyone.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, if you my side.
This should work.
It sums up the reasons why I find it to be an awful game.
I haven't played the game, but from what I've seen and heard of Samus' personality, that at least sounds terrible.

Let me ask you a question, Halo's Mater Chief is a very similar type of "silent protagonist." If the game, story wise, was EXACTLY the same but starred Master Chief do you think people would have had a problem with his portrayal? Would the out cry have been the same or worse?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
kinda makes me not want to bother refuting further. They can complain, send whatever message they want with the whole "not giving Nintendo money" thing and all as much as they want, but I'm wondering what the point of hating a video game series (especially Metroid, which has always been as insert Missile A into Boss B as a series can get) specifically for its story really accomplishes. Granted I'm aware how much the story was forced on you, with mandatory cutscenes/theatre mode, I'd still say it's an awful story behind a sub-par to decent game, depending on your views.
Here's how I think it.
If this game wants to be a movie, why not? Judge it like a movie.
It's clear that they put "Theater Mode" in for a reason. They wanted the story to stick with you. They wanted it to be the major feature.
This was what they wanted to make it sell.

If you miss that, then you'll lost the point of the article.

Let me ask you a question, Halo's Mater Chief is a very similar type of "silent protagonist." If the game, story wise, was EXACTLY the same but starred Master Chief do you think people would have had a problem with his portrayal? Would the out cry have been the same or worse?
If anything, it would've been the same.
The problem don't have to do with Samus being female, it has to do with her personality.
Or, in this case, the destruction of it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
To be fair, outside of the short-lived manga and Captain N, there isn't much of a personality to destroy. The ideal, on the other hand...that's another story. We all have this kinda graven image of Samus that portrays her as this raging badass bounty hunter. That particular portrayal of Samus in Other M kinda sucked, and it completely undermined that notion. I can forgive the creative team behind it on that basis alone. It's not like the actual gameplay was atrocious or anything. They just missed the mark with the story and the characterization.

It's like how I feel about MGS2. Sure, the story completely sucked (despite having a very interesting premise), pretty much ****ed up even more of the ****ed up lore of the MGS world, but the rest of the game definitely wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I'd even argue that in some parts of it the gameplay was actually stronger than other iterations of the franchise.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not a fan of bandwagon hatred for things the majority proclaims is terrible, but I can see why peoples' opinion towards the game relative to the series is justified.

I stopped arguing for Other M forever ago despite loving the game, but this pretty much sums up any and everything as far as the "wrecked character" view goes. Bit lengthy, but it also points out the problems people had with things like item authorization and Sakamoto's unbelievablly misguided vision/direction.

All in all I love the series enough to oversee and still enjoy what it has become, though I obviously hope they go back to the formula everyone has come to know and love in the future.
Woah... that's a good read. Given Sakamoto's gross oversights throughout the game, I think it's more of an issue of him being a hack writer than a super misogynist. What benefit would there be to making a deliberately unlikable/pitiful character as the lead role? To do this intentionally would be suicide for the series so unless Sakamoto secretly wanted to kill the series too, I'm hard pressed to believe that the relationship was intentionally as messed up as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom