• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What is the longest period of time we have waited to receive a new character? 3-4 weeks?

We last got Diddy on Feb 21st, I think we will end up getting a character sometime this week.
Idk who though.
*Yoinked from another post of mine*

Longest gaps to date:

Marth to Rosalina- 40 days
Sonic to Marth- 37 days
Luigi to Peach- 35 days

We're at 26 days right now.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'd just like anyone from the Mario and Luigi RPG games.
Hermie III.

Back around 2004/2005 at 12/13 years old, I thought up characters for a hypothetical Smash 3 game. Of course, it was childish and closed off, since there were Nintendo franchises that I didn't know much about or look into at the time.

Hermie III was a clone of Samus.
Superstar Saga was one of my favorite games in that time and still remains of the best games for the GBA in my opinon.

Screw Attack = spinning shell
Grappling Beam tether = Hermie's long claw grab attack
Charge Beam = some bubble shooting thing

Obviously a clone. Tho thupid.

-----

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Hermie III.

Back around 2004/2005 at 12/13 years old, I thought up characters for a hypothetical Smash 3 game. Of course, it was childish and closed off, since there were Nintendo franchises that I didn't know much about or look into at the time.

Superstar Saga was one of my favorite games in that time and still remains of the best games for the GBA in my opinon.

-----
We've had those moments.
Heck, I firmly believed Tails would get in Brawl a long time ago.
...I was an idiot.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hermie III.

-----
Yeah, I imagined Fawful. I was talking about MK representation, but M&L stuff for smash would be cool too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Having Baby Bowser, Koopa Kid, and Bowser Jr. is kind of redundant because they all share the same character design now...
They can look similar, but are completely different characters(unlike Mario and Baby Mario, who are the same person. Metal Mario is now arguably a different guy in the Kart games, having a unique personality. He's also normally a simple power-up, which makes this odder). The Koopa Kid/Bowser Kid is based upon the Koopalings overall. Bowser Jr. was clearly an expy of the Mario Party Koopa Kid. And Baby Bowser has nothing to do with them, of course.

I think they all have similar designs because they all were "mini Bowsers" ideally. ...Which considering their name is obvious. IMO, I would rather every Mario Kart character has two unique skins. Basically a costume. Possibly to reference someone else. Baby Peach could have Baby Daisy(namely to get rid of that awful character). Baby Mario could have Baby Wario, and Baby Luigi could have Waluigi(yes, I went there). I'd say Bowser Jr. could have Baby Bowser, and Diddy Kong could have Donkey Kong Jr.(keep in mind they were at one time supposed to be one in the same). Donkey Kong would have Funky Kong. I'll give you one guess what Bowser would have. :smirk: Mario has Metal Mario. Luigi has... I dunno? Maybe his Raccoon form or something? They don't have to all be unique characters. Toad could have Toadette. Peach would have Pauline. Some wouldn't, like Daisy and Rosalina don't need any. King Boo is fine returning as well. Maybe Baby Bowser could have one Koopaling(there's 7 if I remember correctly) and the other 6 would pair off in 2's each for a total of 4 characters on the screen.

I know the costumes sound silly, but this is a good way, imo, to enlarge the roster without taking away slots from really fun characters. Those are just some ideas anyway.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hermie III.

-----
Don't feel bad, in 2002 I sent a letter to Nintendo of America with a list of 100 characters for the next Smash game and did it again several months later when they didn't respond. To make the situation even more embarrassing, that was when I was the ripe old age of 14.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Since we're sharing stories.

I remember one time that I was so sure Mew was a playable character and made a decent effort to prove it.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Baby Bowser, Bowser Jr., and the Koopa Kid are different... But, man, their designs are so similar.

I remember believing the Sonic & Tails rumor during the Melee era. I wanted it to be true so bad.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Baby Bowser for Smash as the Yoshi rep. After all, he is the only baby you won't feel bad about for beating him. :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This thread is way less social then the rumors thread today.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
*Yoinked from another post of mine*

Longest gaps to date:

Marth to Rosalina- 40 days
Sonic to Marth- 37 days
Luigi to Peach- 35 days

We're at 26 days right now
Thanks, I appreciate it.
So we have never went a whole month without a character?
I think we definitely might get to see a character this week or next week for sure if this is the case.

In any case, April is around the corner! A new month means new possible Direct, which means a possible newcomer!

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, I was wondering if people thought that Xenoblade was some sort of run away hit in Japan... because it wasn't. According to mediacreate is sold 161,161 copies in 2010 (when it was released) and without any budget release it probably didn't sell much more life time. (Xenoblade sold over 400k in North America as a retailer exclusive, by the way.)

Those sales can only be described as "okay, I mean, for a new IP on aging software." Not really a fair comparison because of brand name, but Final Fantasy 13 sold almost 2 million on a smaller install base in Japan (Wii vs. PS3.)

Are there any other games like this? I saw some people trying to say Captain Rainbow was hit in Japan, but that game was a giant bomb. GIANT. Like maybe it sold 9,000 copies bomb.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*eye twitch*
Pretty sure that's my fault... I have a horrible tendency to derail that thread like nobodies business (not on purpose, I swear)... I'm on Spring Break and, because I work for a University, I'm pretty much getting paid to post here and derp around on the internet for 8 hours a day so...

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So, I was wondering if people thought that Xenoblade was some sort of run away hit in Japan... because it wasn't. According to mediacreate is sold 161,161 copies in 2010 (when it was released) and without any budget release it probably didn't sell much more life time. (Xenoblade sold over 400k in North America as a retailer exclusive, by the way.)

Those sales can only be described as "okay, I mean, for a new IP on aging software." Not really a fair comparison because of brand name, but Final Fantasy 13 sold almost 2 million on a smaller install base in Japan (Wii vs. PS3.)

Are there any other games like this? I saw some people trying to say Captain Rainbow was hit in Japan, but that game was a giant bomb. GIANT. Like maybe it sold 9,000 copies bomb.
^ THIS. We need some actual information on Japanese numbers. I personally want to know how Other M sold over there and how it was received. 'Murica hates it, but i'm curious how Japan reacted especially because Metroid isn't huge there anyways. ....is my Ridley bias showing?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Pretty sure that's my fault... I have a horrible tendency to derail that thread like nobodies business (not on purpose, I swear)... I'm on Spring Break and, because I work for a University, I'm pretty much getting paid to post here and derp around on the internet for 8 hours a day so...
Paid to use the internet? I want your job. Right now.

I would be in school, but I'm sick, so It's Anime and Smashboards for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Paid to use the internet? I want your job. Right now.

I would be in school, but I'm sick, so It's Anime and Smashboards for me.
I get to do that this week but next week I'm back to busting my balls working 60 hours working two jobs and doing grad school classes. This week is pretty much a breather for my freakishly chaotic life.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
^ THIS. We need some actual information on Japanese numbers. I personally want to know how Other M sold over there and how it was received. 'Murica hates it, but i'm curious how Japan reacted especially because Metroid isn't huge there anyways. ....is my Ridley bias showing?
Other M Sold about 71k in it's first year according to media create via this article http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/23/heres-how-xenoblade-and-metroid-other-m-did-in-japan/)

If VGCHARTZ is to be believed, it went on to sell 130k in Japan (I can look up more mediacreate numbers when I'm not at work), while Metroid Prime 3 only sold 70k in Japan. (the original Metroid is the only game in the series to sell over a million in Japan, but Super Metroid did sell over 710k accoding to VGCHARTZ, but I dont't really trust them with numbers that are that old without an additional source.)

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Other M Sold about 71k in it's first year according to media create via this article http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/23/heres-how-xenoblade-and-metroid-other-m-did-in-japan/)

If VGCHARTZ is to be believed, it went on to sell 130k in Japan (I can look up more mediacreate numbers when I'm not at work), while Metroid Prime 3 only sold 70k in Japan. (the original Metroid is the only game in the series to sell over a million in Japan, but Super Metroid did sell over 710k accoding to VGCHARTZ, but I dont't really trust them with numbers that are that old without an additional source.)
Can we get something to base those numbers off of though- like a AAA title? Because those numbers seem pretty good to me, but i have no reference.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Can we get something to base those numbers off of though- like a AAA title? Because those numbers seem pretty good to me, but i have no reference.
Top 20 Wii Games in Japan, according to VGCHARTZ (so take it with a grain of salt, but the numbers should be roughly correct.) Remember that this is in the millions, so if something sells 0.73 it's actually selling 730,000 copies. Also, Wii sports was NOT a pack in game over there, so those are legit sales!

1 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 4.69
Wii Sports Wii 3.77
Mario Kart Wii Wii 3.72
Wii Fit Wii 3.6
Wii Sports Resort Wii 3.25
Wii Play Wii 2.93
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii 2.57
Wii Fit Plus Wii 2.53
Wii Party Wii 2.48
Mario Party 8 Wii 1.58
Animal Crossing: City Folk Wii 1.32
Super Mario Galaxy Wii 1.2
Monster Hunter Tri Wii 1.05
Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii 1.03
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii 0.98
Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition Wii 0.92
Dragon Quest X Wii 0.81
Kirby's Return to Dreamland Wii 0.78
Rhythm Heaven Wii 0.76
WarioWare: Smooth Moves Wii 0.73

Also, it's on a different platform and not a new IP, but Final Fantasy 13 sold about 1.8 million on the PS3. Huge series though, so like I said, not fair to compare.

Valkyria Chronicles is probably a much better comparison, being a new IP in a smiliar genre, it sold 240,000 in Japan wile Xenoblade only sold 160,000 even though there are more Wiis then PS3s in sold in Japan.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hm, I didn't know that Xenoblade did that low in Japan. Yet I've seen alot of talk of the Japanese rating Shulk fairly high as well. Is it just simply a lack of other potential newcomers nintendo has or does it just have a strong cult following among those 160k copies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I bought 4 new games today.

2 for the PS3 and 2 for the 360.

The PS3 games are Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch and Dark Souls. The 360 games are Assasin's Creed 3 and Dishonored.

I was also unable to trade in most of the games I wanted to and decide to trade in none. That means they wouldn't accept Uncharted 3 without a receipt because it was in the wrapper still. And since I've already gotten the other PS3 game I wanted badly besides KH 1.5 I figured I might as well keep it and see how it is.

I should be busy with game wise for a while. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom