• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Topic 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still talking about taste in music?

I guess I could pull out some epic music from video games and anime.

Inb4someonesaysit'snotrealmusic

Maybe not being an absolute zero, perhaps. :troll:

Smooth Criminal
Well damn, the pun backfired. :troll:

Well, I'll be fair: it's been quite a while since I last tried a traditional fighting game. But I still remember it wasn't a very positive experience... I couldn't get the damn input commands to work no matter how I tried... >_>

I was like "**** it" and never touched that sort of game ever again.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't hate bands, I just "don't listen to" some bands.
...Which implies distaste.

You see, it's the subjectivity of musical tastes that causes heated discussions. That's why I prefer to keep most of my tastes outside of VGM sparse.
It's easy! Just be like me.
Listen to bunch of video game music no one cares about anymore! That way you won't get into any, because they hardly knew about it in the first place.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Going by the fact that Gamecube controllers will be supported, hence the depth of controls has not changed between the two games, it would be completely crazy for Nintendo to not allow any Wiimote to play the game (if you can use that wii mote on a WiiU now, there's no way it wouldn't work).

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Still talking about taste in music?

I guess I could pull out some epic music from video games and anime.

Inb4someonesaysit'snotrealmusic
Yeah, people say that sometimes. Maybe because VGM and anime OST covers perhaps every music genre no matter how you look at it. I would say those songs as a whole are considered Soundtrack music.

The invalidation of such music tastes brings me bad memories of my ex-girlfriend. >_>

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Yeah, people say that sometimes. Maybe because VGM and anime OST covers perhaps every music genre no matter how you look at it. I would say those songs as a whole are considered Soundtrack music.

The invalidation of such music tastes brings me bad memories of my ex-girlfriend. >_>
I loved it when my brother invalidated video game music, calling it nothing but bleeps and bloops.

I sat there staring at him with a blank expression while listening to Smashing... Live. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

If we're talking musical tastes I'm really into Death/Thrash/Prog Metal and the like.

/random.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Not just about prom though. You can't tell someone who collects music from LINKIN PARK, Nickelback, Evanescence, Eminem, *NSYNC, Kelly Clarkson, Bon Jovi, and ACDC that they have bad taste in music and expect to get away with it!
Nickelback

You have bad taste in music.

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Not just about prom though. You can't tell someone who collects music from LINKIN PARK, Nickelback, Evanescence, Eminem, *NSYNC, Kelly Clarkson, Bon Jovi, and ACDC that they have bad taste in music and expect to get away with it!
>Nickleback & Pitbull
>Good taste in music

Pick one, dude.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I consider VGM Music, honestly.

My taste in music primarily goes from Classical, old Rock, Alternative, and mostly EDM.

Not just about prom though. You can't tell someone who collects music from LINKIN PARK, Nickelback
You're opening a can of worms, buddy.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly, for me it all depends on the VGM. There's some decent stuff out there. Though honestly I've always found it to be a narrow-minded genre. A lot of the good stuff is overshadowed by either the fact it's from an obscure or crappy game. Or is set aside for music from AAA-title games.

As for just music in general, I'm mixed. It's mostly rock for me, but I've delved into a bit of techno.
For bands it's mostly ones from the 60s-80s. With the occasional 90s-2000s.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Alright, since we're on the subject, might as well throw out my preferences. Besides Soundtrack music, I like Classic Rock, Punk, Metal (Death/Djent/Prog/what have you), and some fondness for Jazz, Orchestra, and Techno.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
I consider VGM Music, honestly.

My taste in music primarily goes from Classical, old Rock, and mostly EDM.

VGM is definitely real music. I usually listen to it when I'm doing work. Seriously, go check out r/gamemusic on Reddit. They've got so much good stuff.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Personally, I like VGM more than any genre on the radio because radio never has good songs minus every once in a blue moon where they play something that didn't come out in the last 3 years.

D

Deleted member

Alright, since we're on the subject, might as well throw out my preferences. Besides Soundtrack music, I like Classic Rock, Punk, Metal (Death/Djent/Prog/what have you), and some fondness for Jazz and Techno.
Yaaaaay.

I never expected to run into someone here who was into metal like I was.

:bluejump:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Nickelback

You have bad taste in music.

Nickelback is very successful! They've topped the charts a lot in the U.S. and Canada. And their lead singer doing 2 duets with Carlos Santana? That's neither bad taste nor a can of worms, that's great taste for music and a treasure chest with ten million gold coins

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
My tastes in music?

Wicked and Disney. I swear, I almost always have a Wicked or Disney song stuck in my head.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The problem I have with most radio stations is that they either stream out all the latest one hit wonders or they regurgitate the same classic tracks (rock radio is infamous for this) and don't give some of the more obscure ones, even if it's on the same album, some playtime.

Like, here in Massachasetts, we have like 3 hit radio stations! >_<

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Personally, I like VGM more than any genre on the radio because radio never has good songs minus every once in a blue moon where they play something that didn't come out in the last 3 years.
Radio where I live is absolutely awful.
All they play is Pop and Rap constantly. Same songs, always repeated. I'm glad I have Podcasts.

-gif-
Nickelback is very successful! They've topped the charts a lot in the U.S. and Canada. And their lead singer doing 2 duets with Carlos Santana? That ain't bad taste!
Someone hasn't heard of Spinnin Records. The prime example of:
Success =/= Quality
in the EDM industry. 90% of their releases are awful, Big Room tracks with the same melody that may be ultra-successful, but it sounds absolutely horrid compared to other EDM labels.

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Nickelback is very successful! They've topped the charts a lot in the U.S. and Canada. And their lead singer doing 2 duets with Carlos Santana? That's neither bad taste nor a can of worms, that's great taste for music and a treasure chest with ten million gold coins
CoD is successful, but that don't make them good games.
Nickleback is a formula band. They didn't form up to make music for music's sake like Nirvana or The Beatles. They were made by record execs in the hopes that they'll make money off tone deaf people and/or people with bad taste in music.

Also to the rest of the board, as a Canadian, I apologize for this band existing since they were made by Canadian record labels.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
CoD is successful, but that don't make them good games.
Nickleback is a formula band. They didn't form up to make music for music's sake like Nirvana or The Beatles. They were made by record execs in the hopes that they'll make money off tone deaf people and/or people with bad taste in music.

Also to the rest of the board, as a Canadian, I apologize for this band existing since they were made by Canadian record labels.
"If Everyone Cared," "Gotta Be Somebody," and "How You Remind Me" say nope!

D

Deleted member

Duuude you should hit me up sometime! \m/

Granted, I'm no metalhead, but there's something about the intensity, musicality, and themes within metal that gets me goin'! Definitely some very organic music in there.
Well to share two songs (by the same band, Archspire) that I've had stuck in my head this morning:
and

Sorry about the quality for this one ^, couldn't find a better version.

Archspire is Tech Death (Technical Death Metal) for anyone wondering.

TewnLeenk

BRoomer
What could a Canadian such as yourself have against Nickelback? Their music is the work of angels!
You just don't know when to stop...

Also, just because I'm Canadian, doesn't mean I like Nickelback by default. I'm willing to bet 93% of my fellow Canadians despise them. Seriously, they make our music industry look like a joke.

STORY TIME: When my city got our NHL hockey team back 3 years ago, Nickelback was going to play a concert before the game as a celebration. There was a petition to ban Nickelback from further NHL games in my city and it actually went through. It had like 30,000 signatures or something.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Damn! I'd like to see the lot of today's notable rappers try to spit out rhymes like Archspire's doin'!

If you are someone who likes Soundtrack music and leans to or wants to try metal, I highly recommend the soundtracks to Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. Across all games.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
STORY TIME: When my city got our NHL hockey team back 3 years ago, Nickelback was going to play a concert before the game as a celebration. There was a petition to ban Nickelback from further NHL games in my city and it actually went through. It had like 30,000 signatures or something.
What did Nickelback ever do to your hometown?! And you can't just ban a band from your NHL team's games for no reason, that's so stupid!!

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What could a Canadian such as yourself have against Nickelback? Their music is the work of angels!
Yeah, no. Nickelback's only decent album was their first one. Every other release afterwards has been ass-tier and not worth listening to. Their frontman is a terrible lyricist and songwriter.

As far as VGM not being music? What the hell, man. Music, like any other artful medium, encompasses such a broad palette that it's being reinvented all the time. Boundaries are pushed, intersected, and done away with all together. It grows and evolves. Is there a more 'educated' way of approaching it, perhaps judging it? Are there individual tastes? Absolutely, but that doesn't invalidate it in the slightest. Any bleep, bloop, and crash qualifies, as long as it's rhythmic in some way (of course, discordant harmonies exist and all that jazz, but that's being really specific).

It's kind of how I feel about the breakdown of the usage of 'proper' language. I abhor constant correctness when it is completely unnecessary. Take a look at this video by Stephen Fry and you'll understand why. I largely feel the same way about music as well. It's about expression, above all else.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Gotta agree with Success =/= Quality.

Sonic 06 was an Xbox 360 Platinum Hit.

Look at how that turned out.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well to share two songs (by the same band, Archspire) that I've had stuck in my head this morning:
and

Sorry about the quality for this one ^, couldn't find a better version.

Archspire is Tech Death (Technical Death Metal) for anyone wondering.
That's actual pretty good. Might as well pay it forward as far as songs echoing about my cranium.

Angel Vivaldi's first album has some godly guitar! His new one, Away With Words, doesn't slouch from this one either.

And if this is not your thing, we cool. \m/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom