• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Advanced Technique: Pivot Cancelling/Turndashing(A New Movement Technique!)

Senario

Smash Ace
IDK. Isai sandbags so much, I can't tell whether he's just that godlike, or he just downloaded everyone in the US and knows how to counter each individual playstyle lol, so he can go bottom tiers and still kick booty
He downloaded everybody and then sandbags so hard because it is boring to win all the time. He therefore is a god because if he wants to win he will win in 64. No contest! It isn't like that in Melee, nobody has reached god status of "If they want to win they'll win hands down". I'd say mango is pretty dang close/good though.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
And so it begins! Let the hate train against competitive players start for no reason! >.> Sakurai has a lot of work to do to bridge the gap properly. Nintendo is doing most of the research and Sakurai is being dragged along because he is a stubborn guy.

Nice thing this move but I wish we had dash dancing. I don't think it is prohibitively difficult or unnatural looking. It just gives you a good feeling of control over your character. You press one direction, you dash, you press another, you dash. Not that "Natural looking" matters in a game where hitting a person sends them flying upward several feet into the air. It doesn't look natural that Yoshi gets his eggs out of nowhere or peach can pull turnips out of even the least likely growing surfaces for turnips.

Also, it isn't that they hate Smash 4. They want to see the best come out of it for both groups and if their constructive criticism is something you take as "Hate" there is no helping you. It isn't like you are much better, you hate on the competitive community from ignorance. Many competitive players are fine with wavedashing not coming back, and Landing Lag just being low across the board instead of L cancelling. Regardless of these techs though, you'd still get bodied by good players.
I said vocal minority, as I know a lot of melee players are willing to give smash 4 a good chance. I am talking about people who specifically say Smash 4 is brawl 2.0. I am glad for turn dashing because it is going to be welcoming for melee players who give it a chance. They really deserve it, and it will give Smash 4 a huge meta game hopefully.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
He downloaded everybody and then sandbags so hard because it is boring to win all the time. He therefore is a god because if he wants to win he will win in 64. No contest! It isn't like that in Melee, nobody has reached god status of "If they want to win they'll win hands down". I'd say mango is pretty dang close/good though.
Mew2King>>Mango if he stopped johning (oh my controller broke, oh I overslept, oh I was practicing how to be Emukiller in PM lmao) and didn't go emo every time he lost a stock.

Mew2King has the reads, and the technical ability, but no mindset. Which is sad :(

Senario

Smash Ace
I said vocal minority, as I know a lot of melee players are willing to give smash 4 a good chance. I am talking about people who specifically say Smash 4 is brawl 2.0. I am glad for turn dashing because it is going to be welcoming for melee players who give it a chance. They really deserve it, and it will give Smash 4 a huge meta game hopefully.
Well ignore them. I've met an equal amount of so called "casual players" who hate everything competitive smash stands for even if they will never play against somebody like that. It goes both ways.

Still want dash dancing because it is the most accessible and really isn't a bad or hard mechanic. It has risks and rewards since it uses up frames and you have to be smart about how you use it, otherwise you dash in toward their attack lol. Even my friends who don't play comeptitive smash can do it. And they are pretty brain dead in fighting games. (no offense to them, they are much better at strategy and MMO type gameplay lol).

M2K is pretty good but I feel like he is near retirement, Carpal tunnel is serious man. That stuff hurts and continuing to stress your hands that much isn't good for your health. Up to you whether you think that is worth the sponsorship and tourneys XD. Though he seemingly is always up to play.

And yes, M2K Could be doing a lot better without Johning and such.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Also for the people who suffer from tendinitis and the like:
You guys seriously impress me. You guys have serious hand injuries and you would still risk more pain just to play Smash. Shows how devoted we are to the game :)

That being said, I think you should give your hand a rest, theory craft possible scenarios (and thinking of the right coverage option to beat that), and then return back to the game. Its no secret that players who often play Smash, ditch it for a month or two, and then come back are often better than before.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
But guys, this AT totally needs to be taken out in order to make the game so accessible that even Conan O'Brien can understand it. He is totally the demographic Nintendo's future depends on! (Please note the extreme amount of sarcasm in this post)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Also for the people who suffer from tendinitis and the like:
You guys seriously impress me. You guys have serious hand injuries and you would still risk more pain just to play Smash. Shows how devoted we are to the game :)

That being said, I think you should give your hand a rest, theory craft possible scenarios (and thinking of the right coverage option to beat that), and then return back to the game. Its no secret that players who often play Smash, ditch it for a month or two, and then come back are often better than before.
Thanks, I have it pretty mild, so as long as I take breaks it really isn't that bad when playing Brawl or 64, Melee it really depends on the day. But yes taking long breaks is important, I usually take off a week when it gets bad for both Cello and Smash. Then I am fine, and am able to play again. But I am glad if Sakurai is putting in at's he makes it so you don't have to do ridiculous button inputs.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
The thing about dash dancing is it gives fast characters *cough Fox cough* a big advantage over slow characters. *cough Bowser cough*

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
And this doesn't? Slow characters are slow. Slow jabs. Slow aerials, slow tilts, slow smashes, slow specials. This won't help them. At least with DDing you could mix up the timing of the individual dashes to throw the opponent off.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Lets not start naming things before we know we can keep them. It will make separation a lot less heart wrenching. :c

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
You know what?

I'm actually kinda excited for this. A technique that doesn't require superior physical dexterity to pull off consistently, yet has a lot of potential depth and usage? Sign me up! If all the advanced techniques in Sm4sh are like this, I'm going to be twice as psyched for this game as I already am!

pickle962

Smash Lord
[quote="Lozjam, post: 17106832, member: 235540] But I am glad if Sakurai is putting in at's he makes it so you don't have to do ridiculous button inputs.[/quote]

This post! I honestly struggle at most of the advanced tech for Melee aside from Lag cancelling and wavedashing so I welcome any easy to use, yet hard to master techniques that like you said don't have to do asinine button inputs for.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Well ignore them. I've met an equal amount of so called "casual players" who hate everything competitive smash stands for even if they will never play against somebody like that. It goes both ways.

Still want dash dancing because it is the most accessible and really isn't a bad or hard mechanic. It has risks and rewards since it uses up frames and you have to be smart about how you use it, otherwise you dash in toward their attack lol. Even my friends who don't play comeptitive smash can do it. And they are pretty brain dead in fighting games. (no offense to them, they are much better at strategy and MMO type gameplay lol).

M2K is pretty good but I feel like he is near retirement, Carpal tunnel is serious man. That stuff hurts and continuing to stress your hands that much isn't good for your health. Up to you whether you think that is worth the sponsorship and tourneys XD. Though he seemingly is always up to play.

And yes, M2K Could be doing a lot better without Johning and such.
well dash dancing still might make it in as there is a form of it in the e3 demo so all we can do is wait til the game is out and see of they tweaked it any

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not necessarily. Think about this. You run to the right and then pivot, then input a right smash with the c stick. This will make Mario slide into the smash. Look at 1:04 at the video in the OP. The same thing was done with items. Mario was sliding while throwing an item! So the same could be done for smashes and maybe tilts
See, the thing is, why run backwards and do the attack when you could just do the attack. If you're goal was to just move back and still space, sure, it works in that regard. But that's the only way it really works since just doing the move would be just as efficient.

JediLink

Smash Ace
You can Up Tilt and Up Special with the analogue stick but will need a C stick to Up Smash and, since this is also jump cancellable, the former two could prove slightly more difficult.
Wouldn't jump cancelling the Up B be easier than trying to do it out of the pivot?

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I love how in every Smash they make different advanced techniques, this one seems rather easy yet amazing.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Isn't there a thread about this already? Anyway, it's good to see that there are new features in the new smash, can't wait for the game to come out already! I'm sure there is more stuff you can do with this feature and probably even more advanced features that no one has featured out yet, only time will tell I guess!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nope, it works at anytime; I can confirm from experience. You can run halfway across the stage, pivot, and then ftilt back in the direction you were originally running if you want. It seems very powerful.
Hmm. This is more potent than I thought. This might be the type of "burst" movement we've been wanting.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
This seems pretty good. I'm not too sold on its usefulness though. Of course I'm thinking of its usefulness in past smash games and not in this one. No one really runs after there opponent. They just do a running aerial next to them. I know Melee kinda had this. I've never really seen any competitive players do it. This game sea more running centric. The added lag on aerials make them worse options. The only use this could get is of there is a literal chase within a tilts range going on. That almost never happens IMO.

Or it could be like a wavedash back ftilt/smash. That would be nice.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Why are people so lazy when it comes to learning tech? All of these people (especially on the turndash thread) think that now that they have a new easy tech to learn, they won't get bodied all of a sudden. I'm very tempted to pick up Pikachu and Quick Attack Cancel infinite you guys lol. IDK why no one realizes that tech isn't that big of a deal. Fundamentals like spacing, keeping a lead, covering options, and effective edgeguarding are more important than learning Pivot Cancels lol. If you think this tech is the greatest thing that ever happened to Smash, you'll still get bodied anyway by Mew2King or ZeRo, (and then start complaining that they read too much, and I don't want to work on reading my opponent).

Its like street basketball. You can learn all the fancy (and game legal) ways to dribble, but you'll still get bodied by decent players because you have no fundamentals, you're just flash. People are acting like this tech is the greatest tech in the world because its so "deep" and easy. Well in certain situations, this tech is completely useless (like on Battlefield platforms, or near the edge of the stage, etc). You'll get beat down anyway. It really bugs me when I hear "this tech is easy, I'm going to be pro now". You could have been the absolute best player in 64/Melee/Brawl/PM but you were lazy. You didn't want to put in time to learn something. You instead complained that x tech was too hard/unnatural/has ridiculous button inputs. Isn't the GC controller considered to be THE BEST controller Nintendo ever made? "Ridiculous button inputs that aren't natural" makes me lmao.

tldr; TECH MEANS NOTHING. Fundamental mastery is all that matters. And to the guys who are praising this tech and condemning "harder' tech are lazy.

/rant

On the upside, this tech will be good for Marth mains.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Why are people so lazy when it comes to learning tech? All of these people (especially on the turndash thread) think that now that they have a new easy tech to learn, they won't get bodied all of a sudden. I'm very tempted to pick up Pikachu and Quick Attack Cancel infinite you guys lol. IDK why no one realizes that tech isn't that big of a deal. Fundamentals like spacing, keeping a lead, covering options, and effective edgeguarding are more important than learning Pivot Cancels lol. If you think this tech is the greatest thing that ever happened to Smash, you'll still get bodied anyway by Mew2King or ZeRo, (and then start complaining that they read too much, and I don't want to work on reading my opponent).

Its like street basketball. You can learn all the fancy (and game legal) ways to dribble, but you'll still get bodied by decent players because you have no fundamentals, you're just flash. People are acting like this tech is the greatest tech in the world because its so "deep" and easy. Well in certain situations, this tech is completely useless (like on Battlefield platforms, or near the edge of the stage, etc). You'll get beat down anyway. It really bugs me when I hear "this tech is easy, I'm going to be pro now". You could have been the absolute best player in 64/Melee/Brawl/PM but you were lazy. You didn't want to put in time to learn something. You instead complained that x tech was too hard/unnatural/has ridiculous button inputs. Isn't the GC controller considered to be THE BEST controller Nintendo ever made? "Ridiculous button inputs that aren't natural" makes me lmao.

tldr; TECH MEANS NOTHING. Fundamental mastery is all that matters. And to the guys who are praising this tech and condemning "harder' tech are lazy.

/rant

Most of us don't think that this Tech will make us all good. The reason so much attention is it is easy, so you can focus a lot more on reading and the like. And with me, I know how to wavedash, but my hands and wrists hurt a ton when I do it a lot. Other Melee players such as M2K have the exact same problem. And there is something to be said of learning this easy tech, they can now focus more on other essential needs of smash. And wavedashing inputs are ridiculous. Wave dashing is amazing in melee, but turn dashing is a good alternative to wave dashing. It's easier to do, more accessible, so people can feel like they are on the same level, and reading and strategy will matter more. This also leads to more offensive play, which will already be a huge improvement from Brawl.
Interesting...

But can you do an attack in the direction you were facing aswell?
Yes, it seems like it.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
@ Lozjam Lozjam this is not the new wavedashing. WD'ing had more practical applications. The fact that you have to be running to do this takes away. Also, you cqn't do it near the edge or on a platform. Not enough room. Wavedashing was good for platform follow ups and smooth edgehogs.

How is pressing buttons ridiculous?

IDK. Most tilts have hitboxes in front, and if anything, this technique tells me you're trying to run away, and try to poke them with the front hitbox, thus resetting to neutral. This is not a primarily offensive technique. In most instances its just a technique that resets to neutral.

Also M2K got hand injury from playing the game for 10 years at demi god level. He had mastered fundamentals already.

And if you have hand injuries I advise you to fix that. Why would you inflict pain on yourself to play a game where people will still likely body you anyway?

@ Mighty_Guy100 Mighty_Guy100 IDK if that would work. Because I don't think that would cancel the pivot. All pivots I've seen were tilts and smashes in the opposite direction. I think if you dashed, pivoted and fsmashed in the same direction, it would lag a bit.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
So you can do your initial-dash forward and F-smash in the same direction?
Yes. You do your initial dash, then pivot, you are sliding, and then push the c stick the way of the initial dash. It will look just like the item throwing gif in the op.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
@ Lozjam Lozjam this is not the new wavedashing. WD'ing had more practical applications. The fact that you have to be running to do this takes away. Also, you cqn't do it near the edge or on a platform. Not enough room. Wavedashing was good for platform follow ups and smooth edgehogs.

How is pressing buttons ridiculous?

IDK. Most tilts have hitboxes in front, and if anything, this technique tells me you're trying to run away, and try to poke them with the front hitbox, thus resetting to neutral. This is not a primarily offensive technique. In most instances its just a technique that resets to neutral.

Also M2K got hand injury from playing the game for 10 years at demi god level. He had mastered fundamentals already.

And if you have hand injuries I advise you to fix that. Why would you inflict pain on yourself to play a game where people will still likely body you anyway?

@ Mighty_Guy100 Mighty_Guy100 IDK if that would work. Because I don't think that would cancel the pivot. All pivots I've seen were tilts and smashes in the opposite direction. I think if you dashed, pivoted and fsmashed in the same direction, it would lag a bit.
When did I ever say this was the new wavedash. I said alternative to wavedash. This is a middle ground between wave dashing and not wave dashing. Also the dash animation is really fast, so much so that fox trotting is as strong as ever before. But the fact you can slide into your smashes will be a good approach, and essentially complements offensive play. Also smash is my life, why does M2K still played even though he is injured. Same reason. Smash 4 will not hurt my hands, Melee does. Because of the constant clenching of jumping pressing down and the pressing r. And I don't think it would lag, I think I remember seeing footage of stutter steps.

Butt Luckily

Smash Rookie
I like how there's zero credit given to Skull_Kid, who spent a lot of time and effort getting that video out to us, despite some members on the board badgering him over not getting it fast enough.

Not to mention that his topic is still on the front page, which has links to this and a few other videos he and his community uploaded after having a chance with the demo.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
See, the thing is, why run backwards and do the attack when you could just do the attack. If you're goal was to just move back and still space, sure, it works in that regard. But that's the only way it really works since just doing the move would be just as efficient.
You can't just do any attack from a run without waiting to enter a standing state first.

It seems very similar to crouch canceling a dash in Melee, only it looks like your momentum caries a lot more. Honestly I'd rather the execution be pressing down instead, crouching out of a dash makes more sense than a pivot to me, but overall I'm happy to see some lost functionality return.

Last edited:

/rant

Why are you raining on everyone else's parade?

No one is ignoring that fundamentals are important, people are just excited to be able to learn something new in a more accessible fashion.

Everyone knows that professional players will body you regardless of tech, but that doesn't mean you need to be a shovenist. We need to be welcoming to the community, because we all started from somewhere, and being a downer about isn't helping anyone, and from the looks of it, you aren't either.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Has anyone tested what Luigi does with this?
I actually tested most of the mechanics on 3DS as Luigi, but I wasn't really getting any kind of slides. A lot of that is, of course, because I was inputting things kinda slowly and canceling the pivot animation late; I didn't really think about how you slide early in the animation and how useful that could be. That being said, Luigi can turn around while running in a pretty reasonable way in this game so I wouldn't expect a wavedash like slide out of him.

---

Fundamentals are important, but tech is non-trivially helpful. I'm not even going to talk about Melee; I'll talk about tech easy Brawl to make my point. Clearly spacing, playing smart, and all the other fundamentals help you more than anything else. However, there are really specific things you just kinda need to learn. If you can't glide toss and main Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, or R.O.B., you're in trouble. If you play as a character with a decent glide toss (Meta Knight, Mr. Game & Watch, Donkey Kong, Sheik, etc.) who can't summon items, you still need to learn it for your Diddy Kong match-up to be any good. DACUS is one of Snake's main mobility options, one of Falco's main offensive tools, a pretty strong offensive tool for Wario at that, and the main way Sheik gets kills. Ice Climbers mostly can only win by learning tech intensive infinites. A lot of characters have various other tech that helps them a lot; there are a ton of obscure chaingrabs, grab release combos, and jab lock set-ups across the cast that really do swing match-ups (Yoshi can grab release cg Meta Knight across Final Desitnation and end it in up smash!). Even if you play a really horrible character, you probably have some character specific tech to learn; Ganon really needs to master comboing two autocanceled dairs into each other to realize what little potential he has. Learning this stuff won't do anything for you if your fundamentals suck, but you will just plain plateau if you only ever develop fundamentals and never get this stuff down. Most of it isn't even *that hard* to learn, but you do have to learn it to grow at some point, and then once it's in your arsenal you basically are playing in a deeper pool in which your hopefully good fundamentals can do some work for you.

Top Bottom