• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Advanced Technique: Pivot Cancelling/Turndashing(A New Movement Technique!)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Has the pivot cancel been shown to be used in the direction the player is running? I'm not sure if it has, and it would likely be a much more effective technique if so.

Also, has it been shown in any of the ComicCon gameplay? The demo is supposed to be more recent there, and if it's still in there it would have better chances to be an intentional addition.
its the same demo as e3 so its still there

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Um, it pretty much directly implies that whatever the default will be, it isn't stock. Considering time has been historically the default setting, it's pretty easy to assume what it will be.

You can bet I will quote ya because I'm a vengeful fothermucker and it's actually the most logical assertion that it will be time, along with the fact it was inferred.

For stated reasons, time is easily the most logical due to inclusion techniques being used to benefit random, quick matches.
Or not? How do you know For Glory doesn't have two settings? 4vs4 and 1vs1? Nintendo certainly knows that 1vs1 works much better with stocks, and Sakurai certainly knows that too...

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
its the same demo as e3 so its still there
Oh, I thought the demos were different since they had different loading times. My mistake. Do you happen to know about the directions pivot cancelling can happen in though?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Oh, I thought the demos were different since they had different loading times. My mistake. Do you happen to know about the directions pivot cancelling can happen in though?
no since i have not been able to play the demo myself

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Invitational at E3 was Stocks + timelimit... so there could be that.

BTT : Sure looks like a nice little trick, and it really does seem to be intentional with the usage in some trailers, so let's see what the finished product might hold for surprises.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Mostly, that particular advanced technique looks really good for characters like Sonic. His dash is so fast he could probably use that technique to continue combos. I'm not sure about the launch angle of his dash attack (and of course this would be DI-dependent in any case), but I'm imagining something like:
Jab x3 > Dash Attack > dash > pivot-cancel UTilt > dash to reposition > aerial stuff

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
So where does it say that because For Glory mode uses only FD-esque stages that all tournaments moving forward will be forced to play on only FD? I seemed to have missed that part in the direct.
I'm merely saying why people would be disappointed with For Glory, it could easily be a lot more than it actually is. What does that have to do with tournaments or anything else?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
FD + Battlefield = Best thing they could've done
No, people would be complaining because Smashville isn't there. Or Yoshi's Island. Or Pilotwings. The only reason why people are objecting to FD only is because it wasn't the most neutral stage in the past, but it likely will now with the changes. And it's much easier to balance around one stage instead of balanceing around a make-believe ruleset that varies from person to person.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
No, people would be complaining because Smashville isn't there. Or Yoshi's Island. Or Pilotwings. The only reason why people are objecting to FD only is because it wasn't the most neutral stage in the past, but it likely will now with the changes. And it's much easier to balance around one stage instead of balanceing around a make-believe ruleset that varies from person to person.
In Smashville, there are moving platforms. I think of Final Destination and Battlefield as the "bread and butter" stages in Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if you can do jabs and tilts in the same direction you ran in for the turnabout cancel? I don't see this being something that will speed ga,splay entirely otherwise.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Very interesting. One of the reasons why aerial approaches have traditionally been preferred to ground ones has been the ability to move freely in the air, and to adjust your spacing in order to ensure your attacks are safe on shield. Being able to attack on the ground while sliding makes it easier to avoid punishment on block, and a basic turnaround cancel will be useful as a spacing tool, especially against the running shield approach that's been effective in the Invitational and SDCC tournaments. Diddy Kong and other item spawners will use these pivots as the new Glide Tossing, hopefully keeping strategic item usage as an element from Brawl. Unfortunately, it seems to be restricted to either running back and performing a pivot cancel to attack while sliding backward, or running up and performing a double pivot to attack while sliding forward. It seems highly useful as a defensive/zoning tool, a way to follow up certain kinds of combos, and a way to utilize items in a manner similar to Glide Tossing, but it seems kind of limited as a tool for approaching. The one lingering concern I have about Smash 4 is whether there will be adequate shield-safe approach options, and I don't think this will solve this issue, even though it seems to hold a lot of potential in terms of adding to the game in other ways.

Xiaphas

Smash Cadet
It seems like Sakurai is really trying to provide non-glitchy techniques that mimic the functionality of wave-dashing. This change as well as the new mechanic for dashing off of edges seem like they were done deliberately to fill the voids of wavedashing.

It seems like these aren't going to completely provide the same mobility we got with wave-dashing, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Sm4sh is not going to be the new melee, but as long as it feels good and is fun to watch it should still be "competitive." Chess and Pokemon are both competitive, and both do fine without difficult to execute button combinations.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It seems like Sakurai is really trying to provide non-glitchy techniques that mimic the functionality of wave-dashing. This change as well as the new mechanic for dashing off of edges seem like they were done deliberately to fill the voids of wavedashing.

It seems like these aren't going to completely provide the same mobility we got with wave-dashing, but at least it's a step in the right direction. Sm4sh is not going to be the new melee, but as long as it feels good and is fun to watch it should still be "competitive." Chess and Pokemon are both competitive, and both do fine without difficult to execute button combinations.
Just a note: Sakurai's solution to platform canceling was to remove platforms. So basically everything Wavedashing could do was replicated in SSB4, albit slower. Small price to pay for accessibility I guess.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If I'm correct, the ground game in SSB4 will be king, with air approaches reserved for combos and edgeguarding..

Very interesting.

Xiaphas

Smash Cadet
From what I've seen of the VG Bootcamp moveset videos, it seems like there are going to be some very viable aerials with minimal lag (Mario's come to mind).

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if it is possible to :GCR:, then :GCL::GCR:and grab? So, pivot grab in the direction you were initially facing? It would help a great deal with Robins grab range.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Does anyone know if it is possible to :GCR:, then :GCL::GCR:and grab? So, pivot grab in the direction you were initially facing? It would help a great deal with Robins grab range.
No it isnt. But pivot grabs still give him a ton of range.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
No it isnt. But pivot grabs still give him a ton of range.
Doh, yeah ik pivotgrabs help, my problem is that its nigh impossible to dash through people because currently as soon as you dash at someone they expect a dash attack and dodge/jump/attack X)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Doh, yeah ik pivotgrabs help, my problem is that its nigh impossible to dash through people because currently as soon as you dash at someone they expect a dash attack and dodge/jump/attack X)
It's really great with mindgames. You just got to mindgame them really well

Top Bottom