• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skler's Link guide: How to Play Link and Not Lose Too Much. Jab lock included!

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
Why does everyone say link is a bad character? he has been my main since 64-pres ,and ive noticed his weak points over the years of playing is that ofcourse he is always going to be slow but we have to learn how to work with that.by trying to space your opponent not too far or not too close (ive learned that from playing falcos) and some helpfull moves are bombdropping and shield. they will have no time te recover so you can F smash or chain then try to work your way into a combo.there is also one way i learned to keep them away and that is by short hopping and chain,(i learned this from dingding) and keep spamming them or F tilt.

Deva

Smash Lord
^^
Yeah, that's what you do to be good with Link, doesn't change the fact that's he's bad, just that you know how to use him good enough to where he doesn't suck.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Gimpyfish actually put a pretty good vid on youtube explaining how if you want to be good with a character (in his case bowser) you have to soemtimes realize that they really do suck. he said how bowser is a horrible character, but by realizing that you can learn more and break past that wall holding you back. Know why they suck and see if you can avoid it, work around it, or even exploit it.

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
Gimpyfish actually put a pretty good vid on youtube explaining how if you want to be good with a character (in his case bowser) you have to soemtimes realize that they really do suck. he said how bowser is a horrible character, but by realizing that you can learn more and break past that wall holding you back. Know why they suck and see if you can avoid it, work around it, or even exploit it.

thats quite true ive seen the vid and when gimpyfish played in melee he made bowser look like a god and i even seen in one of his videos where he killed a fox with the fire. Now that was hilariouse and even now he is still godly with bowser and he always favored link since melee from what i know

Laijin

Smash Hero
Link is the new Young Link.
Toon Link is boring as ****.

Link is ACTUALLY the most fun character to play as since he is the closest character in the game to Young Link(and thats saying a lot).

Oh yea, I heard rumors of you using bomb drop d-air(The Lai-Fire Attack) Skler.
Is this true?

Edit: Oh. because Link is such a ridiculously bad character, it totally reminds me of how fun Young Link was to play as. Cause that guy was ridiculously bad too.
This will be a challenge. I can do it..

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
Yes bomb dropping is very helpfull when your oponent is at high damage ir shorthop and bombdrop it gets them all the time even when you are grabbed and the bomb is dropped you a have a short invincibility and the bomb blows up on them

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Pretty helpful guide. I just want to say though that if you space yourself far enough away from the edge, the gale boomerang will push your opponent away without causing damage. I've been trying to toss the boomerang in the other direction and not catching it on the way back. I'm hoping it will carry my opponent away... no hits so far.

NEON666

Smash Journeyman
you can also edgehog and then jump off lightly and throw the boomerang on the tip of the stage and it will take the opponent with the gust its very rare to land but it is buetiful when you get it right

Force

Smash Apprentice
I thought of something strange but now that link has AT's that allow him to do everything he could do normally with a bomb in his hand except uptilt and forward tilt.... maybe between his ability to clawshot recovery after a 300% fully charged downsmash from fox and his ability to keep a bomb on his person at all times his recovery will get better as people start to get insane with him. maybe every n-air and F-air done with link while on his killing approach should be done after a bombdrop-cancel. maybe every Z-air should be done after a dodge(while holding a bomb) maybe there is a style with link that has not been invented yet that makes his recovery good??? just food for thought. i've been playing with this notion for a bit and its kinda fun to juggle bombs the whole game

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's similiar to diddy and banana juggling if you ask me. There's my two cents.

Pirate2091

Smash Rookie
I have always played as Link, and I do a decent job... But I feel as if I spam his fsmash. Anyone else? Anyways I don't dominate a game (unless they suck) but I do hold my own.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
You know, I've noticed that Link's Hylian Shield (the piece of metal strapped to his arm, not the red bubble most other players are stuck with) is pretty good at stopping all but the crazier spam games. When someone is firing off a lot of lazers or whatever, I'll often just sit there and let them bounce of Link's Hylian Shield. They usually get annoyed and try to approach. Big mistake, but what else are they supposed to do when they can't pierce the mighty Hylian Shield?

Of course, I haven't played too many people (my little brother and nearby friends for a total of 4 people) and I don't have access to WiFi, but I'm throwing that out there if you want to experiment with it a bit.

nuro

Smash Lord
I didnt know you had a thread like this skler.

You know, I've noticed that Link's Hylian Shield (the piece of metal strapped to his arm, not the red bubble most other players are stuck with) is pretty good at stopping all but the crazier spam games. When someone is firing off a lot of lazers or whatever, I'll often just sit there and let them bounce of Link's Hylian Shield. They usually get annoyed and try to approach. Big mistake, but what else are they supposed to do when they can't pierce the mighty Hylian Shield?

Of course, I haven't played too many people (my little brother and nearby friends for a total of 4 people) and I don't have access to WiFi, but I'm throwing that out there if you want to experiment with it a bit.
BOOM HeadSHOAT!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Link is extremely underrated, even by our fellow Link players. I know he has a lot of weaknesses (speed and recovery as examples) but a good Link can take advantage of what he does have going for him. You talk as if he is as screwed as Pichu was in melee...

lildudespider

Smash Rookie
i found link to be god in melee, his smashes were absolutely stunning, and his boomerang was a treat, loved your guide btw, link is my favorite nintendo char aside from chrono and will continue to rock through the ages(except twilight princess wtf was that, stupid monkey im scarred for life!)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Link is extremely underrated, even by our fellow Link players. I know he has a lot of weaknesses (speed and recovery as examples) but a good Link can take advantage of what he does have going for him. You talk as if he is as screwed as Pichu was in melee...
Pichu is extremely underrated, even my out fellow pichu mains. I know he has a lot of weaknesses (light and hurts himself as examples) but a good pichu can take advantage of what he does have going for him. You talk as if he is as screwed as Link from brawl...

way to not have any substance

DSP

Smash Apprentice
well, this is an awesome guide, skler... but I think I'm not the only one who wants to know when you'll continue making those match-ups? As one of the most respected Link playeers, your help in advancing and improving Link's game is surely needed.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have always played as Link, and I do a decent job... But I feel as if I spam his fsmash. Anyone else? Anyways I don't dominate a game (unless they suck) but I do hold my own.
Yeah sometimes I get that feeling as if I should cut back on the fsmash. Maybe more ftilt or a better forward facing attack.

Top Bottom