• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skills of the Crimean Hero: An Ike Technique List

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
So, I've seen some threads in character boards that list the techniques for them, and I can't find one for Ike, so I guess I'll make one, seeing as I've done some of my own research. This is going in alphabetical order to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Some of these I named myself while others I obviously did not, so let's begin. xP

~:Skills of the Crimean Hero:~

Aether: Ike's signature move and his upB. He brings it with him from his games, although there are some differences between it in Brawl and FE.

Aetherspike (AS): The process of spiking with Aether. This can be done in two ways.
- 1. While Ike is away from the stage, he can screw with his opponent's attempt to edge guard or spike him or whatever and end up meteoring the opponent with Aether.
- 2. More difficult to do than method one, here Ike stands at the edge of the stage and Aetherspikes anyone trying to recover.

Back Dash (BD): A combo using bthrow followed up by A dash.

Chaingrab (ChG): The process of grabbing and throwing infinitely together. Ike can only do this on Bowser, I believe.

Counter: Ike's downB. He also brings this from FE, although it's a lot weaker there lol.

Counter Guard (CG): Edge guarding with Counter, specifically while Ike is standing at the edge of the stage. Marth can also do this though, so be careful when facing him.

Counter Recovery (CR): The process of using Counter instead of a normal recovery move to mess up his opponent's attempt to edge guard/spike/whatever and let Ike freely recover to the stage. Again, Marth can also do this, so be careful.

Crouch Spike (CS): Having Ike crouch at the edge of the stage and use his dtilt to spike his opponent. Great against edge-cancelers. ;D

Double Jab Cancel Crouch (DJCC): Doing a DJC with a follow up of dtilt in the end.

Double Jab Cancel (DJC): A special variation of the jab cancel where Ike does A twice, then crouch instead of A once, then crouch, but without a follow up of dtilt.

Edge Cancel (EC): Grabbing the edge of the stage, attacking, then grabbing the edge of the stage again, and so on.

Eruption: Ike's neutral B. This move was...not in FE. XD

Hover Spike (HS): Using dair to spike away from the stage. Works great even on heavy characters.

Infinite Grab(IG): Infinite grabbing, but not throwing. Ike has this on Wario.

Jab Cancel Crouch (JCC): The process of doing A, crouch, A, crouch with a follow up of dtilt.

Jab Cancel (JC): The process of doing A, crouch, A, crouch and so on without a follow up of dtilt.

Max Eruption (ME): Erupiton fully charged. Has smaller range than a normal Eruption, but is extremely powerful. Most powerful move Ike's got in store, actually.

Quick Draw Cancel (QDC): The process of charging Quick Draw to the point where Ike will halt immediately in front of his opponent to instantly follow up with a neutral A combo. You can go into a JC if you want as well.

Quick Draw Cancel Counter (QDCC): The only technique here I consider to be an AT. It's a special variation of QDC in which Ike follows up with Counter after QD. It is difficult to do mainly because it requires timing both QD and Counter correctly.

Quick Draw (QD): Ike's side B. It's based off of his critical attack in FE9 while he is Ranger status.

Tilt Strike (TS): Process of doing dtilt then utilt. Works only during low damage percents.

That is all. What do you all think? If there's any changes/additions you want me to make, I'll do so.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I took one look at this and realized two things.

One, the red font is too dark for my computer.

Two, no point in separating CG with Infinite Grab...both are started by a grab.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but both are two different things.

As for the dark red font, it's actually rather bright on mine. Must be your monitor.

EDIT: I just noticed a mistake in BD though. I meant bthrow, not bair. XD

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
^Uh yeah, because they previously didn't have any to my knowledge. And mind pointing out which are useless?

And if you think some shouldn't be on there, it'd be helpful to tell me what SHOULD be. >_>

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It's just that these aren't really techniques. It's a move and its input. Which really has no use in a serious forum, sorry to say.
No advanced techniques are included either. And even if they were, the very few I can remember aren't even practical in real gameplay.
I really like the effort, but the thread itself isn't really helping us out. D=

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yea...i kind of have to agree with them too.. x_x
most of these are common moves that work with all the characters so it doesn't really make it ike exclusive lol

but good job anyway
looks like it took a bit of time lol

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
WELL THEN TELL ME WHAT SHOULD BE PUT IN.

I can't make it any better if you all just keep saying "I agree with them, these aren't techniques" and such. -_-

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So, I've seen some threads in character boards that list the techniques for them, and I can't find one for Ike, so I guess I'll make one, seeing as I've done some of my own research. This is going in alphabetical order to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Some of these I named myself while others I obviously did not, so let's begin. xP

~:Skills of the Crimean Hero:~

Aether: Ike's signature move and his upB. He brings it with him from his games, although there are some differences between it in Brawl and FE.

Aetherspike (AS): The process of spiking with Aether. This can be done in two ways.
- 1. While Ike is away from the stage, he can screw with his opponent's attempt to edge guard or spike him or whatever and end up meteoring the opponent with Aether.
- 2. More difficult to do than method one, here Ike stands at the edge of the stage and Aetherspikes anyone trying to recover.

Back Dash (BD): A combo using bthrow followed up by A dash.

Chaingrab (ChG): The process of grabbing and throwing infinitely together. Ike can only do this on Bowser, I believe.

Counter: Ike's downB. He also brings this from FE, although it's a lot weaker there lol.

Counter Guard (CG): Edge guarding with Counter, specifically while Ike is standing at the edge of the stage. Marth can also do this though, so be careful when facing him.

Counter Recovery (CR): The process of using Counter instead of a normal recovery move to mess up his opponent's attempt to edge guard/spike/whatever and let Ike freely recover to the stage. Again, Marth can also do this, so be careful.

Crouch Spike (CS): Having Ike crouch at the edge of the stage and use his dtilt to spike his opponent. Great against edge-cancelers. ;D

Double Jab Cancel Crouch (DJCC): Doing a DJC with a follow up of dtilt in the end.

Double Jab Cancel (DJC): A special variation of the jab cancel where Ike does A twice, then crouch instead of A once, then crouch, but without a follow up of dtilt.

Edge Cancel (EC): Grabbing the edge of the stage, attacking, then grabbing the edge of the stage again, and so on.

Eruption: Ike's neutral B. This move was...not in FE. XD

Hover Spike (HS): Using dair to spike away from the stage. Works great even on heavy characters.

Infinite Grab(IG): Infinite grabbing, but not throwing. Ike has this on Wario.

Jab Cancel Crouch (JCC): The process of doing A, crouch, A, crouch with a follow up of dtilt.

Jab Cancel (JC): The process of doing A, crouch, A, crouch and so on without a follow up of dtilt.

Max Eruption (ME): Erupiton fully charged. Has smaller range than a normal Eruption, but is extremely powerful. Most powerful move Ike's got in store, actually.

Quick Draw Cancel (QDC): The process of charging Quick Draw to the point where Ike will halt immediately in front of his opponent to instantly follow up with a neutral A combo. You can go into a JC if you want as well.

Quick Draw Cancel Counter (QDCC): The only technique here I consider to be an AT. It's a special variation of QDC in which Ike follows up with Counter after QD. It is difficult to do mainly because it requires timing both QD and Counter correctly.
*** Though described wrong, there is an AT about QD > Counter, useless still

Quick Draw (QD): Ike's side B. It's based off of his critical attack in FE9 while he is Ranger status.

Tilt Strike (TS): Process of doing dtilt then utilt. Works only during low damage percents.

That is all. What do you all think? If there's any changes/additions you want me to make, I'll do so.
anything i didn't strike is a technique sort of... useless thread for Ike.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
Uh, Luigi's B moves are on his list...

Why can't I add in Ike's?

And since you've crossed out almost everything on my list, tell me what I should put in place of it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Here is a list of all the useful techniques for Ike:

Jab canceling: Simply doing your first jab then crouch canceling then jabbing again. Works best on first jab as 2nd jab only gives 1 frame of advantage.

Spacing: pretty much 70% of Ike's game (The other 30% is jab canceling) This is keeping your distance to the max while being able to hit the person still with your sword.

Aetherspike/cide: Using aether to spike a foe. It's pretty good but can be gotten out of and avoided.

Wavebouncing: Basically shifting your momentum with a B-reversal. Works best with eruption but eruption isn't exactly a safe move. Surprise that works once a match/set.

Counter diving: Never seen or used it in practice, basically using counter to dive under water to avoid a spike...

Counter stalling: stalls... but you still fall... you are open to be hit still.. don't do it, i'm taking this off the tech list.

That's really all i can think of for now. Anyone want to add for me?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You sound surprised. What else could he have with specials like those? They're all straight-forward.

The Crimean Hero has very little skills. Mario, Lucas, and even Ganondorf have twice that.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It is true. It's not like these skills are of any use. Mario alone has about 8 cape techs.

Lucas can zap-jump, magnet pull, b-stick, PKT stall. None of which are particularly amazing. Ike really is straightforward. Nothing special.

And you seriously base tier position on technique lists?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ike is where he is because of raw power, range, and his jab game. He does do a number on many of the people around and below him on the tier list because of those things.
Techniques aren't necessarily what make a character purely as good or as bad as he/she is.

EmblemPrincess

Smash Apprentice
It is true. It's not like these skills are of any use. Mario alone has about 8 cape techs.

Lucas can zap-jump, magnet pull, b-stick, PKT stall. None of which are particularly amazing. Ike really is straightforward. Nothing special.

And you seriously base tier position on technique lists?
No...

I simply thought having few techniques meant you couldn't do much in battle. My mistake then.

Just lock this thread. If there aren't many techniques for Ike, then there's no need for an alphabetical list. >_>

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
A character's core properties dictate how good he is more than the amount of advanced techniques he has. Metaknight isn't the best character because he has 50 advanced techniques.

Link would be top tier if that were the case.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Every character has some universal traits. Spacing, for one.

Techniques don't make the character. Look at MK.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
Im a little late on this, but in conclusion... we have jabs, range, mindgames, and some grab release combos going for us... thats about it :( not too many AT's that i know of and if there are any theyre extremely limited or practically useless. I still like the effort you put into this thread, thanks for trying to help!

(its no biggie... my first thread here was made of phail :p)

:bandit:

Top Bottom