• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SinkingHigher couldn't take the last thread name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
So If you've seen my sig, I need to work on spacing and approaching. I was just messin around today, and it occurred to me that my spacing of the Bair is probably, on a 1 to 10 scale, absolutely deplorable.

It seems that no matter what, every time I try to Bair somebody on the ground, I just get shield grabbed [and because my friend just discovered how easy it is, it happens A LOT.] I know that spacing is different for every member of the cast because of varying ranges, but do you guys have any general tips that you feel would be beneficial?

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Just be conscious of your spacing always and that + getting shield grabbed all the time should train you to space better. Not that I should be giving advice... my spacing sucks (and I main melee marth. T.T)

ADHD

Smash Hero
The foot should hit the shield, or the end. Not even dedede should be able to shieldgrab that. Be consious that you can fast fall bair at any point when you're at least a foot off the ground, so you don't have to just float and bair, you can end your movement with a fast-falled bair to gain some spacing.

Palpi

Smash Hero
You can mix up your aerial approach on a grounded target. Even throwing a needle every now and then lol. You can dash, SH air dodge, then jab or ftilt lock. Or you can try retreating aerials if your opponent is a larger target. You could even try to punish people knowing that you are doing bair. Air dodge -> grab or just sh -> grab. Approaches should be different every time. That is why is important to have a different kind of strategy for every approaching situation.

Villi

Smash Lord
I have trouble not getting shield grabbed out of Sheik's aerial approaches as well. If you're spaced to hit a shield but not the opponent, you have a fair chance of not getting shield grabbed and landing an ftilt to punish the whiff. Fair seems to be able to shield poke from above if a shield is low enough, so with some preliminary shield pressure, that's a possibility. Occasionally, a spaced weak nair is a safe way to poke a shield.

Another way of avoiding a shield grab is hitting someone from behind. If someone is in their shield, preparing to shield grab, it's often possible to just run behind them and ftilt or bair.

You can use more grabs if they want to shield grab or use the opportunity to charge your needles and use those for damage racking/shield pressure.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Very good points. When an opponent knows your main approach or a characters general style of approach, the player will stop at nothing to punish you. This is why mindgames are stressed so much. Anything you do to keep you foe at the edge of his seat, have his mind scrambling like a kid with ADHD, is very important. This speaks for every characters, change up the pace, stay on defensive if your opponent character is campable, like stated before run behind and grab, retreating aerials, or fake the jump into a, cant beleive im saying this, a double jump quick down air because once you take a second jump or any other course of action there eyes are on you, and there shield could be down. That might be a little bogus, but anything works to change the pace or momentum of a match. Experimentation and on the spot innovation can be key to victory.

demodemo

Smash Ace
:\ idk, i don't think i ever get shield grabbed, remember you must hit with the end of the foot, not the thigh (but you probably know this)

who does your friend play?

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
its kind of weird but much like the neutral A your back air stays out for a brief moment after you use it.

so if your traveling in the air in a direction you can actually throw your foot out perhaps 1/4 or 1/2 a second before you would actually hit them... her foot will come out and you will fall into them while your foot is still sticking out.

Smash Saej

Smash Cadet
Just keep a constant thought about your range of the bair, it is really easy to pull one off as soon as you leave the ground, then retreat back to the place you started from, it just takes practice to not land right in front of them while using Bair.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
marth has a big grab range so bair isn't a very safe poke on him. Just needle and take advantage of his approach, timed dash attacks destroy marth's sh aerial approaches.

Retreating Bairs can't be shield grabbed by anyone.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
First, someone PLEASE change the title of this thread. It makes me want to cry every time I see it.

Second, perhaps tristan can teach you a few things.

Try holding forwards after inputting the b-air. I haven't tried this yet, it's just theoretical, but it might work. You can sweetspot with Zelda's f/b airs then hold away and Din before you hit the ground, so perhaps Sheik's aerials have similar qualities...

Also, they both can hit people infront of them when b-airing, which is a minor thing I know, but it may be useful against certain characters. iirc n-air does the same. f-air can hit someone direcly above you.

No one I know seems to know how to sheild-grab so I don't really have much to test this out on. Let me know if any of this seems interesting.

Edit:

ROFL thanks East. Now I can be at peace.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
First, someone PLEASE change the title of this thread. It makes me want to cry every time I see it.

Second, perhaps tristan can teach you a few things.

Try holding forwards after inputting the b-air. I haven't tried this yet, it's just theoretical, but it might work. You can sweetspot with Zelda's f/b airs then hold away and Din before you hit the ground, so perhaps Sheik's aerials have similar qualities...

Also, they both can hit people infront of them when b-airing, which is a minor thing I know, but it may be useful against certain characters. iirc n-air does the same. f-air can hit someone direcly above you.

No one I know seems to know how to sheild-grab so I don't really have much to test this out on. Let me know if any of this seems interesting.

Edit:

ROFL thanks East. Now I can be at peace.
You can do this. Its basically just a DI, ya kno? Perfect example would be Zelda like you said... But you can't be rushing toward them too fast or else you won't pull backwards, but just cancel your momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom