• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't have much to contribute to this matchup, but I will say stage strike/avoid Smashville if possible. Aside from obviously making it easier for Pika to camp, it helps his recovery; especially at higher percents.

If Pika DIs our kill moves correctly, he can start charging a skull bash from up high and release it below the stage. This gets him far enough to be able to grab either ledge of Smashville.

Smashville makes Pika live longer basically.

Timbers

check me out
^^^

Is it just me or is this guy amazing?

never noticed him until now...
RJ has always been a respectful poster.
Well, I don't have much to contribute to this matchup, but I will say stage strike/avoid Smashville if possible. Aside from obviously making it easier for Pika to camp, it helps his recovery; especially at higher percents.
I don't think smashville gives Pika anything special to work with. Final D gives him more opportunity to thundercamp against characters with weak longrange games and encourages thundergimps, and battlefield increases his combo potential and recovery options a lot. Also lower ceiling doesn't hurt. Smashville pretty much gives Luc a much needed platform to avoid the thunderjolts until reaching higher percents. Pika definitely isn't bad here, but it's definitely one stage I'd like to play Pika on when starting a match.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
YI = yoshi's island?

I wouldnt imagine that it would work any more well vs pika...

hough123

Smash Ace
From reading Pikachu's match-up thread, I was able to pull out some helpful tidbits:

Pikachu has to do lots of damage before he can kill at all. Our aura boost abuses this immensely.

To avoid our AS, Pikachus will Pshield, if we throw another one, they jump. We could abuse this by throwing an AS ABOVE him, then punish him if he is smart enough to stay under it.

Keep Pikachu in the air whenever possible, our air game>his. We beat Pikachu in everything but our Uair, which he will punish us with Fair or Dair.

Pikachu’s ground game>our’s. They WILL use their Tjolt, so be prepared. DO NOT ROLL BEHIND PIKACHU, his Dsmash will rip you apart. Both of these will be used to attemt to aggravate you, which is not good for Lucarios as we cannot lose our cool for even a second.

To kill us, Pikachus will use either thunder or nair in the air, fsmash is added to this list when on the ground.

When using your fair, there are two different scenarios. On the ground and in the air. Now lucario beat pika in the air. So, fighting in the air is going to take some conditioning and some mind games. In the air, shieldpoke with the fair. Now, this is where the conditioning comes in. Start out with doing a FJ fair. Do not use your second jump until you have conditioned your opponent into thinking that you always use your first jump to shield poke at him. Then, when you are absolutely sure that you have conditioned your opponent, FH at them then DI away and use your double jump>fair after your opponent has either used an attack or landed.
^This is a common strategy taken from Pikachu’s match-up thread.

hough123

Smash Ace
YI = yoshi's island?

I wouldnt imagine that it would work any more well vs pika...
It does provide an exellent platform for Luc's aerial game, our main strat against Pikachu. You could also break the mid-section of the stage to break up his Tjolt spamming. He'd have to either wait (and let us charge an AS), approach, or get on the platform on either side and risk us starting a fight in the air by attacking from under him.

I believe that Weegee's Mansion and Rainbow Cruise would work well against Pika. Weegee's for no thunder, and a potential opportunity to start an air battle from the platform in the middle. When the mansion breaks down, Pikachu can freely thunder and Tjolt spam, and his ground game becomes easier to initiate.

Rainbow Cruise is great, it destroys the potential of a ground game 3/4 of the time. Also, there are many platforms to absorb thunder (and possibly tjolt), so killing becomes tough for Pikachu. The area above the ship, and the ship both alow for a grounded fight, so be weary.

EDIT: After some battles as Pika against a Lv.7 Lucario, I won due to CPU retartedness. In the match, I found that I wanted to jump away from Lucario in the rare times the CPU decided he would own me. He should have followed with fair to nair to whatever, but CPUs are just awesome like that. :D But I digress. YI allows yo to avoid Tjolt spam by getting on the platform. (We have nothing to fear due to the epicness that is Dair ^.^) Overall a good stage for Luc IMO.

iRJi

Smash Champion
To Hough123: Don't double post, its impolite =].

Also stage counters are Lylat, Yoshi's, Castle siege. Normally I counter on Castle.

hough123

Smash Ace

Also stage counters are Lylat, Yoshi's, Castle siege. Normally I counter on Castle.
I know, but two seperate subjects needed two different posts =)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If you get caught in Pikachu's Dsmash try DIing out and punish.

The main thing that makes Pikachu's ground game good is his speed. We outrange him, but he can get in on us very easily.

In the air we have a much easier time, he lacks the range and mobility to fight us with much up there.

His Tjolt is a nice projectile, if you try going into a camp war with him, it's just make the fight spammy until you hit higher percentages when Lucario's Aura sphere beat out his Tjolt.

If your above him and hear that terrifying, "PIKA!" then move fast and avoid the incoming thunder from above. Lucario is floaty enough to avoid it in the air.

On a positive note, Pikachu can't Dthrow or Fthrow chain grab us, or at least enough to make it matter. So there's another ******** chain grab we avoid.

RJ is right on the stages, go to Lylat, Yoshi's, Castle siege.

I'm saying 50:50, we may be good in the air and we won't die for a while, but Pikachu is still fast as hell and has a good ground game.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lots of nice little things that pika has are shut down by lucario, that's why I'd give it 55:45 lucario's advantage. Still, he's got a really nice ground game that's been aforementioned, and some nice edgeguarding capabilities.
Is it just me, or has pika's fsmash seemed less and less useful/used as the months have gone, and it just seems so laggy?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lots of nice little things that pika has are shut down by lucario, that's why I'd give it 55:45 lucario's advantage. Still, he's got a really nice ground game that's been aforementioned, and some nice edgeguarding capabilities.
Is it just me, or has pika's fsmash seemed less and less useful/used as the months have gone, and it just seems so laggy?
Kind of like how our Fsmash is less useful than what it appeared to be at first.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yes, except I mean like I see it hit very, very rarely (at least we have IASA frames so that when they rush we can usually go Kapow! with a jab or something). Yeah, our pokemon friend has been rising while we've been kind of lol'd.

Timbers

check me out

Yoshi's sucks a lot of **** lol. Pikachu is so hard to hit if he's in the lower parts of the slants.

I don't really know any good counterpicks on Pika. He does well on Final D and Battlefield though.

Browny

Smash Hater
japes seems like a good idea... lol
almost completely negate the chance of a thunder KO, since the thundercloud doesnt even reach near the top of the screen, you would have to be above about 120 for it to KO, once you get higher, a usmash/utilt/dsmash would send you above the cloud, where it might take like 170 to outright KO :p

Timbers

check me out
does it really send you above the thundercloud before Pika can thunder?

If so that's pretty impressive. Luc gets pretty harassed with being floaty and having mediocre movement. If Japes does what you say it does I might consider it, even though it promotes thunderjolt camping a lot.

Browny

Smash Hater
well, assuming you DI the attack, pika is going to have to chase you and thunder. with no di i would expect pika can thunder you immediately. either way it should help in not dying to that combo lol, but idk how pika fares for the remainder of the match on japes :/

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yoshi's sucks a lot of **** lol. Pikachu is so hard to hit if he's in the lower parts of the slants.
I haven't had this problem, oddly enough.

In the air, as long as you are careful of how you dedicate your movement you should be able to avoid a thunder if he tries to edge guard with it.

Timbers

check me out
I haven't had this problem, oddly enough.

In the air, as long as you are careful of how you dedicate your movement you should be able to avoid a thunder if he tries to edge guard with it.
Thunder edgeguard is never a problem for Lucario. Just dair stall accordingly and pass through when it's safe (don't get naired while stalling)
it would appear that i am the only one who thinks it's either 60:40 or 65:35 for Lucario =/
shame...
I think it's Lucs favor, but I'm not sure what numbers to put on it. It's not 65:35 but 60:40 or 55:45 is accurate.

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Put the percents on the front page, that way we don't have to constantly scan through pages for info.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
Let the Records show that Pikachu can be hit hanging from the edge of Final Destination using Aura Sphere, depending on the percents and situation. We already know that the little rat edgehogs better than us, can chaingrab a bit, feels a little easier to kill from the top of the screen than the sides, and it feels like stages with taller cellings are better to have a better chance of surviving Thunder. Atleast this is how I feel about the situation.

But Pikachu is the least of Lucario's problems. 55-45 Lucario. I'd much rather talk about someone like Wolf, who's an actual threat. Can we do him some time after this match up gets taken care of? This match up might not have ended yet, but I still hate how much of a danger Wolf is, and am surprized no one made an attempt at bring him up yet.

:flame:

iRJi

Smash Champion
pika is KOed by our bthrow and a pleasently low %, being a light weight
Bthrow should never really kill. If someone gets killed by it at early %'s thats because someone is not DI'ing in the right direction.

Top Bottom