• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social *sigh* oh the life of a Zelda main [A new zelda discussion zone]

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Yea they teched in place and since i I just upb'd in place I got a grab -> kick combo lol

Still

Don't do it XD

It's a horrible option, like not even as a mixup

:phone:

Griffard

Smash Ace
So damn, I'm still loving Zelda. Couple Q's:
1. Is the nair worth it?/Are the are cool combos out of it ever? It looks hilarious, I yell "magic!" everytime I use it.
2. What do against spacies? I've been beating my friends' space animals but I definitely don't think I'd beat a real space animal main. Do you just space f-tilts and pray you don't get jc upsmashed to death?
3. Is double kick out of a short hop pretty much the best approach/pressure? Seems pretty good.

Thanks in advance. If there's a thread or something that tells me these things feel free to just redirect me or something.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I would also like advice on nair, I freakin love it.

Also, on dat space animal thing, Ive been playing against my friends decent fox with her and despite my losing I really like dsmash for gay kills, kick Oos on amazing s***, dash attack because its dash attack, and neutral B for amazing trolling when fox is off stage

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Hey I'm planning to play Zelda at a local, but so far I'm having problems. Namely, I don't have good OOS options and I can't recover safely.

Any fundamental tips for how Zelda should be played?
Thanks.

TheLake

Smash Master
zelda doc is like

67.33/ 33.77 imo

totally doable but slightly in favor of doc

those pills are lame

any hoot some nice zelda basics to keep in mind

kick alot...like but dont approach with it (if that makes sense)

contest your space

zelda has some good counter play

kinda...

stay in shield

but find ways to refresh it

such as play on the ledge

platform camp

and reset to netural in shield

as soon as you can

and proceed to kick

down smash if somone gets in your grrill

f smash alot

and hope it works

pray you dont fight shiek

look to wisdom

that echos in your soul

and win or lose

find the light

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I feel like docs recovery would make it very easy for zel's semispiking downsmash to kill him, especiallly if hes CCing at the time

odinNJ

Smash Lord
No i mean the sheer knock back from an onstage dsmash if he ccs will send him to far away to recover, i wasnt talking about the mario brothers hax ledge-snap

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Are zelda's bair and fair identical moves? Is there any difference other than the direction?

GOTM

Smash Champion
I played Zelda in teams with Pakmans Yoshi at Smashacre this past weekend (I should of played her singles too). She's the best (worst).

But I love her :)

How do you guys deal with teams? She's pretty good in teams I think, but it's difficult to edgeguard with her in singles, and with someone breathing down your back it's even harder. Any tricks?

Also, you guys should totally set something up in the Zelda thread at Smash4u and get something going there :)

D

Deleted member

i'll go through this stuff one piece at a time.

sometimes defensive up b is the best choice. really. >_>

nair- yes it's worth it. the move is narrow, use it when you're okay to land on someone with it. landing on people is usually a terrible idea, so keep that in mind.

i almost never SH double kick anymore, higher profile players tend to wait for the obvious first kick in neutral and exploit that the same way they do to marth's double fairs. usually i find myself trying to not use kick from neutral at all, but when i do it's usually 1 kick and a waveland/air dodge somewhere. yes, i air dodge intentionally all the time. it's better than it looks.

fundamental tips on how zelda should be played- against worse players, jump more. the reward is too good to pass up. against better players, jump less. zelda has the best shield in the game, particularly her light shield. LS anything except what you can kick OOS, so heavy shield things like doc dsmash but LS things like sheik autocancel fair. platforms are for being under, not on. learn to love fsmash, dsmash, dashdancing, powershielding, dash attack, and dash grab. play blue.

edge guarding- sweetspot recoveries with low fair is pretty idiot-proof. if you edge hog to force the opponent to land on stage and they're hurt (80%+) it's okay to ledge jump kick them, but make ABSOLUTELY SURE THE FAIR SWEETSPOT HITS. Yes, that means sometimes you'll have to recover again because of how far you have to pull back. Zelda can ledge jump fair an opponent no matter how close they are to the edge so you can always do it.

zelda also can't grab the edge as low as it looks like she can. this comes up fairly often. be aware of it.

the game considers fair and bair the same move to the extent that they stale each other.

zelda in teams is sketchy because your opponents will either know how to fight you or they won't. if they don't, zelda is just a slow captain falcon that doesn't eat combos, gimps, has an actual recovery, can save her teammate, etc. if they know how, you let them play fox for free. you don't want them to play fox for free. it's reasonable to team with a higher level peach, ice climbers, or marth to keep your opponents off the ground and to punish fox. that said, marth is still buns in teams and finding a high level peach/ICs that didn't team with a high level fox? good luck. generally the best thing zelda can always do is hold lives and prevent her teammate from being 2 vs 1'd.

zelda does not team particularly well using typical high tiers or typical strategies because she doesn't add anything to the team that another character can't do better. you can see an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy56oBNZ9Uo

even though i did not play blue, this is actually pretty good play as far as zelda is concerned- but you'd have a hard time arguing that i did anything meaningful.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I find nair really useful to shield stab people from underneath on a platform or something. Usually the last couple hits hit, and then you can follow with a tech-chased kick somewhere.

freaking, i go for the ledgehop kick at the worst times, lol. i always end up falling at a weird angle and then not able to get back because of her straight up B. i guess i should try hopping back a bit more when i do it.

also, in singles, say you're playing a fastfaller. i usually aim for a well spaced jab or dash attack->techchased grab, and once grab i go for like u-throw, dash attack (the close part that sends em up), and then something like an ftilt/regrab/usmash (if they can't DI) -> into kick. is this kind of the standard crap to do or does it make more sense to just try and bthrow em off stage and edgeguard since there's always a chance they know how to DI and get out of basically any one of those things, lol.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
That IS ********!

And unfair.

I guess in a way it then doesn't matter then to spam one side air and not the other if there's no reward for switching it up. Still though...

Griffard

Smash Ace
Had no idea fair and bair staled each other.
Also I guess I go too far on stage for ledgehop kicks, haven't really considered that the range would be so nice that I could move backwards.
Interesting...
thanks for the pro tips

Griffard

Smash Ace
Playing at a smashfest today with some really good players, excited to see how the Zelda fares.. although I think a lot of them have played with Zone so I might get pretty destroyed.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Does anyone use neutral B out of shield? I feel like it has value but I've never tried it...just thinking about it now.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Kick out of shield is always faster than Nayru's out of shield.

Both require you to jump out of shield. Bair comes out in 5 frames, fair in 8, and nayru's in 12.

That being said, you're invincible during the startup of Naryu's, so it's not useless. But usually I would opt for kick out of shield or even up-smash out of shield vs taller characters.

Bing

Smash Master
I saw someone asked earlier up if up-B was useful. Yeah I like using Up-B on the ledge, one time a friend of mine got clipped and Di'd out over me and I actually juggled them a few times, dropped and did a uair, it was great, then I somehow messed up the recovery and died.

Also, Up-B oos... that sounds beautiful and I must try this.

Also, as for OOS options, wavedash back is definitely the best option.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Well, as tends to be the case in this game, it's very situational. If you're getting shield pressured by a space animal, wavedash out of shield is fine. But if it's like Marth and he just f-smashed your shield you wouldn't try to punish by wavedashing OOS, you would kick OOS.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I won one out of one sets I was brave enough to go Zelda at the small tourney I played today. So... yay! Haha was repping her hard in friendlies though, definitely surprised a lot of people.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Guys, Feb 9th I'm going to enter a tourney for the first time in 9 months :3

Def still have a strong Zelda

But I've been like playing nothing but spacies

So we'll see

Bing

Smash Master
Wow DH, you got this. I usually use Zelda during at least one set during each local I host. We have a lot of newer players so I can get away with using my terribad Zelda. Still good enough to win me Doc vs Zelda MMs. I also use her because someone seriously wants to main her so Im trying to show her some tricks and such.

Top Bottom