• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Haven't been here in a while. Looks like some weird stuff happened. A raid? Anyway...

As of a few hours ago, I have two Shulk amiibos. (Don't panic - one to use, one to keep boxed. I'm not scalping them.)

He's pretty good as far as these go. Not too derpy, colours seem about right. Though The Monado feels a bit flimsy and it doesn't have a transparent pane in its hilt.

No complaints though. Shulk's in Smash Bros. He has an amiibo. It's awesome.

Edit:

His eyes look a lot bigger and more like he's having a Vision than mine do. Maybe it's just the lighting. His eyes look pretty standard on mine - you can't really tell in my pictures, take my word for it :)
Wait, where'd you get these? Are they out in other places of the world? Geez, America, hurry up! :p

That Monado looks kinda fragile though... But if Marth's sword doesn't really break I don't see why this would.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
See speaking of Fire Emblem I've never gotten why Chrom and Lucina consider it so important that they're descendants of Marth. Like, okay, sure, but it's been two thousand years. There are probably hundreds of thousands of Marth descendants walking around.
Well i mean, they are still in the direct line of royalty from Marth, so i guess that's important...

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Wait, where'd you get thes e? Are they out in other places of the world? Geez, America, hurry up! :p

That Monado looks kinda fragile though... But if Marth's sword doesn't really break I don't see why this would.
For where I got these from, the answer is either "EB Games and JB Hi-Fi" or "Australia" depending on what your question was after. I thought it was out worldwide on this date, but... I actually don't know now. Where is it out for everyone else? I heard either Feb 13-16 for some region. I'd have expected Australia to line up with Europe on this - apparently not? Anyway, his arms are fairly solid (only a little flex), but the Monado feels a bit flimsy. Kind of like Link's sword does, and how I'd expect Marth's to feel.

Anyway, I've been playing around with this amiibo and it's awesome. (I unboxed my Link but didn't really use it.) Had a lot of fun training it up with my brother, ganging up on it in Free-for-Alls, shouting "HE HAS TO LEARN!" ("Learn what?! Your whole goddamn school just kills people!") before grabbing him to allow for a Falcon Punch. Lots of Pound-and-Rest-only matches, a lot of fun.

He's Lv.50 and quite a challenge now. Gave him Mighty Air Slash and Power Vision. I have never seen something be so smart and stupid at the same time - maybe I should be playing him as Shulk more often, to show him the ropes. He often flicks through the arts over and over before settling on Jump, he activates Smash while I'm on 0%. I'll go for the spike and miss while he goes for the spike, misses, SDs. He activates Jump off-stage to recover but then jumps forwards to be directly beneath the centre of the entire stage and SDs. He's starting to pick up the short hop fast fall nair, and he made me realise that I nearly exclusively move around the stage with jump->fast fall, because he does it and it's freaking annoying as hell. He's shielding and punishing with Smash attacks. So whilst the amiibo does really well, its movements and skill level is a bit erratic. That said, our 3P Free-for-All matches against it required us to gang up on it if we wanted a human player to win.

Because of the name I gave it, I had to take some very appropriate screenshots on Boxing Ring, for the matchup screen in the background. I'll spoiler tag these if you guys think I should.
Edit: Decided to spoiler tag, it can't hurt.
"I just want to live my life as a Homs. In a world without you!"
"How?! How can you still have Visions?!"

Xenoblade's Final Boss fight in a nutshell, once you get the True Monado.
"Now u listen here m80"

Reflecting on some of the quotes in the final battle, I love the fact that whilst you're going up against some all-powerful being, rather than the characters being scared of facing him, he scared of facing you. Like the "How?! How can you still have Visions?!" quote, among others, they show that he's scared of how strong the character are. Once he realises that he has lost the ability to see the future despite having both Monados, whilst Shulk has somehow retained that ability with no Monados, he starts to panic because he knows he's losing control of the situation. Incredibly satisfying to see considering his overconfident arrogance through the rest of the game.
Edit: Do amiibos learn to fight like you, or learn to counter you?

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
For where I got these from, the answer is either "EB Games and JB Hi-Fi" or "Australia" depending on what your question was after. I thought it was out worldwide on this date, but... I actually don't know now. Where is it out for everyone else? I heard either Feb 13-16 for some region. I'd have expected Australia to line up with Europe on this - apparently not? Anyway, his arms are fairly solid (only a little flex), but the Monado feels a bit flimsy. Kind of like Link's sword does, and how I'd expect Marth's to feel.

Anyway, I've been playing around with this amiibo and it's awesome. (I unboxed my Link but didn't really use it.) Had a lot of fun training it up with my brother, ganging up on it in Free-for-Alls, shouting "HE HAS TO LEARN!" ("Learn what?! Your whole goddamn school just kills people!") before grabbing him to allow for a Falcon Punch. Lots of Pound-and-Rest-only matches, a lot of fun.

He's Lv.50 and quite a challenge now. Gave him Mighty Air Slash and Power Vision. I have never seen something be so smart and stupid at the same time - maybe I should be playing him as Shulk more often, to show him the ropes. He often flicks through the arts over and over before settling on Jump, he activates Smash while I'm on 0%. I'll go for the spike and miss while he goes for the spike, misses, SDs. He activates Jump off-stage to recover but then jumps forwards to be directly beneath the centre of the entire stage and SDs. He's starting to pick up the short hop fast fall nair, and he made me realise that I nearly exclusively move around the stage with jump->fast fall, because he does it and it's freaking annoying as hell. He's shielding and punishing with Smash attacks. So whilst the amiibo does really well, its movements and skill level is a bit erratic. That said, our 3P Free-for-All matches against it required us to gang up on it if we wanted a human player to win.

Because of the name I gave it, I had to take some very appropriate screenshots on Boxing Ring, for the matchup screen in the background. I'll spoiler tag these if you guys think I should.

"Now u listen here m80"

Reflecting on some of the quotes in the final battle, I love the fact that whilst you're going up against some all-powerful being, rather than the characters being scared of facing him, he scared of facing you. Like the "How?! How can you still have Visions?!" quote, among others, they show that he's scared of how strong the character are. Once he realises that he has lost the ability to see the future despite having both Monados, whilst Shulk has somehow retained that ability with no Monados, he starts to panic because he knows he's losing control of the situation. Incredibly satisfying to see considering his overconfident arrogance through the rest of the game.
Australia was what I was looking for. Over here in the States, Shulk supposedly doesn't arrive until Feb. 13th, the same day as the New Nintendo 3DS XL, Majora's Mask 3D, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Sometimes I wonder what Nintendo is doing. Are they trying to kill all their fans in a stampede?

I actually ended up ordering mine from Play-Asia because I missed the preorder window for US Shulk. Should be arriving late February if the site is to be believed.

Also, love your pictures. They both have visions of victory! :D Should have gone full out and spawned Riki Assist Trophy or a Smash Ball or something, that would have been amazing.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Australia was what I was looking for. Over here in the States, Shulk supposedly doesn't arrive until Feb. 13th, the same day as the New Nintendo 3DS XL, Majora's Mask 3D, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Sometimes I wonder what Nintendo is doing. Are they trying to kill all their fans in a stampede?

I actually ended up ordering mine from Play-Asia because I missed the preorder window for US Shulk. Should be arriving late February if the site is to be believed.

Also, love your pictures. They both have visions of victory! :D Should have gone full out and spawned Riki Assist Trophy or a Smash Ball or something, that would have been amazing.
Nintendo is trying to murder your wallet, that's what :D

I should get some 8-Player Smash going, team up! Shame I can't double-up on the white palette. I'll have to do some of those, Chain Attack and all. I almost did take a picture of them on the new Lylat stage so I could get them fighting in space, but it's really hard to get a good image when the thing is Lv.50 and attacking unpredictably.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Am I the only one who likes to utter Shulk's other quotes in order to educate the Smash fans that he has more than one?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

8-bit Shulk had so much more charm than 16 bit Shulk!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Edit: Decided to spoiler tag, it can't hurt.

"Now u listen here m80"

Edit: Do amiibos learn to fight like you, or learn to counter you?
I'm copying your idea for name/color. I love it XD. That first pic is really cool looking.

To answer your question, amiibos aren't fully understood. I know they can be similar to CPU AI, and the game tips says that facing off against many different types of opponents is good for the amiibo. I don't think it's fully understood whether they learn from your actions as you play as the same character as them.

edit: I like the use of power vision. Since CPU AI and Amiibos both read inputs, they don't need the longer period of activation that the normal counter has.

So this is the arrogance of a creator?! He thought since he created them that homs were less than humans. He was afraid because he realized he created something that could destroy him. I would like to think that he realized that homs are not inferior to humans when Shulk sliced him up.
Am I the only one who likes to utter Shulk's other quotes in order to educate the Smash fans that he has more than one?
I wasn't sure whether to respond to your thread title or the question in the thread. Anyways, yeah, a lot of us have beaten Xenoblade. I don't do the uttering of other quotes irl much because I don't talk to many other Smash fans. I do value his other quotes much more than really feeling it, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just want to say good luck to all of the Shulk mains participating at Apex this year! I will be cheering you on!

Please foresee a victory for all of us! :4shulk:

APEX was cancelled for the day. Some guy pulled the fire alarm and everyone evacuated.

Smash 4 and Brawl might be cancelled. Idk. That's what I heard

D

Deleted member

APEX was cancelled for the day. Some guy pulled the fire alarm and everyone evacuated.

Smash 4 and Brawl might be cancelled. Idk. That's what I heard
According to their Twitter, the tournament is on hold.

It would suck if Smash 4 and Brawl were cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Someone pulled the fire alarm, yes, but Fire Marshals and whatever have found structural damages done to areas of the hotel due to the storm (and maybe just a lack of treatment in general?). I had plans to go to Apex (that were abruptly interrupted) this year, but looking at this, I'm sort of glad I hadn't. . . More to the bigger picture though, I hope everything can somehow be figured out for the thousands of players there, because even if by unintentional means, this sucks kind of bad.

Edit: I'd like to mention that even in the worst case scenario, and the whole tournament is cancelled, the potential safety of the players and people there is of a huge, and quite frankly the most benefit. Collapsing ceilings (from what I've read has occurred) could very much lead to death, so we have to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Found new piano arrangement of Into Deadlands/Fallen Arm
Video has sheet music link^

It's so accurate :D!

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
:link:
Someone pulled the fire alarm, yes, but Fire Marshals and whatever have found structural damages done to areas of the hotel due to the storm (and maybe just a lack of treatment in general?). I had plans to go to Apex (that were abruptly interrupted) this year, but looking at this, I'm sort of glad I hadn't. . . More to the bigger picture though, I hope everything can somehow be figured out for the thousands of players there, because even if by unintentional means, this sucks kind of bad.

Edit: I'd like to mention that even in the worst case scenario, and the whole tournament is cancelled, the potential safety of the players and people there is of a huge, and quite frankly the most benefit. Collapsing ceilings (from what I've read has occurred) could very much lead to death, so we have to keep that in mind.
Yeah, the last thing we need is to the ceiling at Apex collapsing while watching a stream of the gameplay and see it kill a bunch of people. THat would be horrible.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Wonder if we'll see any custom shulks. I think blue Shulk may be doable.
This just reminded me that I was on team #GogglesShulk pre reveal. I'm actually a little sad none of his alts have the head gear now.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
IMAG0463[1].jpg

I'm touching it, but am I really feeling it?
(I am so sorry.)
(And why is this image so giant?)

I can no longer beat this amiibo with Shulk. Whilst it's still weird with its Arts (uses Jump A LOT), it's stopped SDing so frequently. I can beat it with characters like ROB and Ganondorf, so maybe it just knows how to beat my Shulk. The main issue, I think, is that it just hits so hard. I've given it no equipment, but it gets three good hits and I'm >70%. Most of the times I hit it are during landing lag or end lag - it dodges or power shields nearly everything else.
Recalling that I named it 'Zanza' - This is it. This is how it happens. This amiibo is going to become sentient and in its quest to become the most powerful being in existence, will destroy the universe.

Edit to avoid double-post:
Found new piano arrangement of Into Deadlands/Fallen Arm
Video has sheet music link^

It's so accurate :D!
Oh my god this is really pretty. Gettin' that sheet music.

Last edited:

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
It seems to be unavailable online for preorder...

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Found a guy who's tag was Trololol and Mii was "BACK SLASH"

So, we had a backslash duel that ended in me foolishly YOLO backslashing off the edge at 20% with him at 120%.

He air dodged.

And now after a brief DK hiatus I'm playing Shulk again.

PS: The ordering of the tracks on the actual OST makes no sense. End credits happen in the middle? Lame.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So, i got an amiibo. : D Apparently, Bowser was the only wave 3 amiibo in stock near my area in gamestop, everyone else hasn't been released yet. So i gotz my Bowser a week early before U.S. is supposed to have it! : D Now if i can just get Shulk...

DrShankums

Smash Cadet
I pre ordered my amiibos when sm4sh came out, I tried like a month later for a third but they were sold out of preorders. If you didn't preorder it then, chances are you'll have to pay an up charge on amazon when the scalpers get them.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
PS: The ordering of the tracks on the actual OST makes no sense. End credits happen in the middle? Lame.
Isn't it cutscenes and battle themes then land themes? Makes sense to me.

Oh and great piano for one of my favorites! :D

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
The proper term is "Bronado."
Every time I see this word I think "Bro" + "Tornado" instead of "Bro" + "Monado" :/ It actually took me like two weeks to figure out what it actually meant
Pretty sure it's cutscene themes on Disc 1 and 2, then field/battle themes in Disc 3 and 4. Although even then, some of them are kinda weird... Central Factory comes after Agniratha on the OST when it comes before in the actual game, and the first time you hear You Will Know Our Names is definitely NOT in Galahad Fortress... it plays on Prison Island iirc. Some of the story cutscenes appear earlier on in the story than they do in the game; for example, Riki the Legendary Hero actually plays in Colony 9, although that's obviously not its main purpose.

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Just wait until the new shipment comes out instead of paying scalper prices, they'll rerelease Shulk amiibos soon enough.

Zephil

Smash Ace
omg guys, there's a shulk player called Badada which just obliterated a ROB. If you can you should see that match.

His MArt use was amazing, changing the arts almost instantaneously and mixing it so much that even the commentators where have trouble following all the changes. It was beautiful :love:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
omg guys, there's a shulk player called Badada which just obliterated a ROB. If you can you should see that match.

His MArt use was amazing, changing the arts almost instantaneously and mixing it so much that even the commentators where have trouble following all the changes. It was beautiful :love:
I would like to see it but I have absolutely no idea where you saw this. Doesn't appear to be on youtube and if it's a stream I need to know which one.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Front page of twitch (teamsp00ky)

Rob didn't know the MU at all though... Could've killed Shulk in Smash with uthrow on the battlefield platform but just went with dthrow because that's what he usually does at ~90%.

D

Deleted member

I saw! He played amazingly against that vile Mechon!
...I need more practice with Shulk.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I would like to see it but I have absolutely no idea where you saw this. Doesn't appear to be on youtube and if it's a stream I need to know which one.
oh I forgot to say this just happened in Apex.

Front page of twitch (teamsp00ky)

Rob didn't know the MU at all though... Could've killed Shulk in Smash with uthrow on the battlefield platform but just went with dthrow because that's what he usually does at ~90%.
Yeah I thought the same thing but that's not surprising as Shulk is not very common in tournaments at least right now

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Oh my gosh I can't believe I forgot Apex was happening
It's nice to hear a Shulk is playing-
/opens Team Sp00ky
/DIDDY KONG DITTOS

At least they're more entertaining than most Diddy matches

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Does Shield Art actually make counter better?...

He was struggling at first against Yoshi but that counter ftw

edit: These commentators know like nothing about Shulk. Shulk's not better on FD, lol.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Does Shield Art actually make counter better?...

He was struggling at first against Yoshi but that counter ftw
I don't see why Shield would make Vision better bc Shield slightly lowers damage output.
Buster and Smash affect it because damage and knockback differences respectively.

I'm really liking this guy's playstyle, his Mega Man is really fun to watch.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Look at what joystiq has as one of it's last articles! I really feel like that fact that Shulk is a bit of an absent minded lab rat was worth mentioning, but it's an okay article overall. They sure do spoil the game, though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/31/who-the-hell-is-shulk/
Hmm, the article actually got a lot wrong.

-Dunban did not "gift" the Monado to Shulk.

Fiora is not exactly a love interest when she is killed... more of an extremely close friend. It's not really clear if Shulk has love feelings for Fiora until she comes back, I think.

Visions are not a power of the monado the weapon, but Zanza in Shulk's body.

Shulk's not a really a super positive guy. He isn't whiney, but that doesn't make him positive. He's more of a realist.

When Zanza comes out of Shulk is not the conclusory act. Also, the article does not show that that has anything to do with how he is "loyal to his friends, steadfast to his cause, and puts others before himself." He is those things, but that act has nothing to do with that from what I'm aware of.

"It's also revealed that the world Shulk inhabits began as an experiment, meaning there is no greater purpose to life; Shulk and everything he knows are just happy accidents." Homs were created by Zanza a long while after the world was created. And there is a higher purpose: being Zanza's food lol.
(Although, that fact just doesn't make sense to me. Why would Zanza create life from ether, which consumes ether, in order to feed off of ether? Why not just create ether to eat?).

"Despite this existential crisis, Shulk resolves to press on and eventually defeats the villain, becoming a god himself." He became a god before he beat Zanza, not because he beat Zanza.
This is just an issue with the article in general: It never actually fulfills its promise to answer why Shulk has several different modes in Smash Bros: his Monado arts.

-

They keep saying Badada but I keep hearing Gadada

Last edited:
Top Bottom