• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Sorry for the double post, but I have an issue.
I dunno what to do against speedy characters, characters like Captain Falcon and Fox. Shulk is practically combo meat for those two. In fact, I fought a good Fox and I gave up when I only did 33% damage and he KO'd me. I fought a good Captain Falcon, but I didn't switch to Shulk at all and instead stuck with Luigi because he kinda handles Captain Falcon better (his neutral air can get him out of his combos).

So my fellow Shulks, how do I fight Captain Falcon and in particular Fox? The Fox I fought grabbed me and u-tilted me to no end.
Honestly, Speed Shulk IMO is more than enough to deal with Captain Falcon. Buster helps too. Although speedier characters work better against CF, Speed/Buster Shulk can work good enough due to his range and disjoints.

Fox...Is another story. He's alot faster, and harder to attack/deal daamge to without taking alot. Honestly, i would recommend using another character like ZSS or Sheik to deal with him. He's easily one of Shulk's tougher match ups due purely to his speed.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
I'd like to chime in on this briefly, maybe give my own personal thought or two about the matter. . . Take note of this, though: It's fine if you disagree, because I'm speaking of my own agenda. Also, the base stage of most of this testing was on FD, and some BF.

Personally, and I've been doing my own testing on this for a week or two now, I opt to rarely use, if at all use Buster against notably fast characters (such as C. Falcon and Fox). I feel it's far more detrimental than advantageous in the scope of things (naturally, I am referring solely to high-level play here, and nothing less). . . Shulk just doesn't seem to have (i.e. He doesn't) the mobility nor the frame advantages over these types of characters for Buster to do its business. Keep in mind that I've the mindset that Buster should be mainly utilized as a spacing tool to begin with, aside from getting good reads or setting up safe strings, so even when playing that kind of game of which I find to be ideal (and believe you me, my spacing is not under-par), it just more often than not seems to leave me at a disadvantage. Shulk is basically combo-fodder in the air, coupled with Busters increased damage output and input. . . Generally, the faster characters are fairly good a stringing attacks due to either their speed or their attack properties in general. I've started to find the most success by making Speed my priority MA, as well as utilizing Vanilla Shulk while Speed is on its cool down. Shield and Smash are utilized solely for their main purposes (to survive and to kill), and personally I still don't really believe in the usage of Jump at the moment, aside from situational recoveries and / or gimps if necessary. Again, this information has been conducted from my own personal testings and experiences, as well as its basis being based upon my personal playstyle. . . Keep in mind that everyone expresses their own character differently, so preferences may differ. But yeah, I'm a believer in Speed and Vanilla for these types of match-ups, more-or-less. Remember that it also matters in how the match is playing out, as well as the stage, etc. Things are situational, but I don't have the time to go in-depth about that at the moment. Anyhow, I probably won't be getting into any deep discussion about this myself, but everyone else can feel free to do as they so choose.

Zephil

Smash Ace
I'd like to chime in on this briefly, maybe give my own personal thought or two about the matter. . . Take note of this, though: It's fine if you disagree, because I'm speaking of my own agenda. Also, the base stage of most of this testing was on FD, and some BF.

Personally, and I've been doing my own testing on this for a week or two now, I opt to rarely use, if at all use Buster against notably fast characters (such as C. Falcon and Fox). I feel it's far more detrimental than advantageous in the scope of things (naturally, I am referring solely to high-level play here, and nothing less). . . Shulk just doesn't seem to have (i.e. He doesn't) the mobility nor the frame advantages over these types of characters for Buster to do its business. Keep in mind that I've the mindset that Buster should be mainly utilized as a spacing tool to begin with, aside from getting good reads or setting up safe strings, so even when playing that kind of game of which I find to be ideal (and believe you me, my spacing is not under-par), it just more often than not seems to leave me at a disadvantage. Shulk is basically combo-fodder in the air, coupled with Busters increased damage output and input. . . Generally, the faster characters are fairly good a stringing attacks due to either their speed or their attack properties in general. I've started to find the most success by making Speed my priority MA, as well as utilizing Vanilla Shulk while Speed is on its cool down. Shield and Smash are utilized solely for their main purposes (to survive and to kill), and personally I still don't really believe in the usage of Jump at the moment, aside from situational recoveries and / or gimps if necessary. Again, this information has been conducted from my own personal testings and experiences, as well as its basis being based upon my personal playstyle. . . Keep in mind that everyone expresses their own character differently, so preferences may differ. But yeah, I'm a believer in Speed and Vanilla for these types of match-ups, more-or-less. Remember that it also matters in how the match is playing out, as well as the stage, etc. Things are situational, but I don't have the time to go in-depth about that at the moment. Anyhow, I probably won't be getting into any deep discussion about this myself, but everyone else can feel free to do as they so choose.
I know that feel bro. You just explained my current opinion regarding the MA.

Speed is definitely the most useful: excellent for approaching or just to keep momentum and better positioning. Speed its just too good but it may come with a problem: I feel the MA is so much better than the rest that if Shulk mains keep abusing way more Speed than the other MA it will make easier for the opponent to get used to his playstyle in this art.

Buster I still consider it very useful but I feel that Shulk should never use Buster when he is at low %s as its probable that the opponent has better strings and combos. Buster as a spacing tool is more useful and I feel that using it when the opponent is above 30% actually makes it better as the knockback helps string better some attacks as it is not so low as when they are in 0% and not as high as when they are above 70%.

Smash I use it depending on the situation but normally I use it only when the opponent is above 100% and I am below 70% and if both of us are at high %s I prefer to use Speed as, while the knockback is reduced, is still very effective.

Jump has two main functions for me: first as the main MA to go for recovery in tough situations but lately I have been trying to diversify my play style with it so I can mix Speed and Jump more in the future to mess the timings and reads of the opponent. I think this use for Jump should be implemented in our play style to make Shulk as unpredictable as possible. I feel that the defense drop is drastic for Jump but the tradeoff of mixing Jump with Speed may not bring huge results for Jump but may increase the effectiveness of Speed as the opponent may have difficulty adjusting to the constant play style change.

Shield still for survival so not much to discuss there for now...

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh snap! Here we go, everyone. Some new Xenoblade Chronicles X information right here!

- Planet Mira is 400 KM ^2, making it 5x the size of XC's world

- Takahashi recorded around 300 hours on his own playthrough

- There will be some online interactions, but not in the "traditional" sense

- Combat is more fast-paced than XC

- Etcetera. Just check out the article. Ha.

But yeah. . . 300 hours. Yay!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Keep in mind that Famitsu had a 10 page feature for XCX, and this is just the current leaked information from that, so. . . There's more info to come soon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit # 2: There are also some included scans found here as well, although the text is in Japanese, and I'm not of the ability to translate them. . .

Edit # 3: More XCX information right here!

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Oh snap! Here we go, everyone. Some new Xenoblade Chronicles X information right here!

- Planet Mira is 400 KM ^2, making it 5x the size of XC's world

- Takahashi recorded around 300 hours on his own playthrough

- There will be some online interactions, but not in the "traditional" sense

- Combat is more fast-paced than XC

- Etcetera. Just check out the article. Ha.

But yeah. . . 300 hours. Yay!
It's a good thing we have mechs and skip travel otherwise we'd never be able to get anywhere

Also, it seems like the story path branches, or something, depending on which union you choose. Pretty neat, interesting idea, although I hope it's all one gigantic overarching story that has like 8 branches that meet up, because having 8 separate story lines seems kinda weird.

I'm not really sure if I like the new Soul Voice healing system. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also 300 hours RIP my life ;-;

D

Deleted member

300 hours?! This game is going to eat up my life when it gets released!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Found these pics in the amiibo general thread.

Shulk does not look derpy. It was simply an effect of the small image size (called it btw!)

D

Deleted member

I was listening to music from the Mega Man X series before I saw this in my YouTube subscription box:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Hello Shulks, and @ Berserker. Berserker. ....
Lil' ol' Ganondorf is here...
You know, Shulk is a character that Ganondorf can really relate to... He wants to destroy a whole civilization to protect those he loves and uses an ancient godly artifact to do it! Until he actually goes to Mechonis.....
Anyway I would like to talk Xenoblade X with you fellas. Ganondorf is incredibly excited for it. 300 hours is a ton of time to play a game and I would be happy to play it! BAHAHAHAHA
Also, I am not really sure about them taking more inspiration from western titles and making completely open world, but it looks like they are completely pulling it off. I also am really enjoying the character designs thus far(I hope they fix the lifeless models in game...), I especially really like Lin/Lyn.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So, new info about the game came out: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/28/xenoblade-chronicles-x-info-battles-exploration/
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/more_details_emerge_on_xenoblade_chronicles_x_and_its_non-linear_world
Here's the articles themselves describing the newly revealed features:
There's been plenty of hype and excitement surrounding Xenoblade Chronicles X. Its successor, Xenoblade Chronicles, was critically acclaimed as an excellent RPG on Wii, also bringing new ideas to the JRPG genre. The sequel has a lot to live up to, but as more information emerges it becomes clear that it may just live up to the Xenoblade name.
Popular Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu's next issue includes a ten page spread about the Xenoblade series - including an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi, the series' director - and is due out tomorrow; it brings to light some details previously unknown about Xenoblade Chronicles X (known simply as Xenoblade X in Japan). For starters, the map will be five times the size of the original Xenoblade Chronicles equivalent; keep in mind that the original map was roughly the same size (in relative gaming terms) as the entirety of the Japanese archipelago. The story will be about surviving on the wild planet, Mira - unlike Xenoblade Chronicles' largely linear storytelling, the story will unfold in numerous directions, opening up the possibility of multiple endings. Not far into the story players will choose to become part of one of eight unions, though union affiliation can be switched later. The unions are as follows (via Gematsu):
* Pathfinder: Oversee data probe installation
* Interceptor: Oversee exterminating protists

• Avalanche: Oversee hunting down dangerous creatures
  • Testament: Oversee recovery of wreckage from the ship as well as dropped items in the battlefield
  • Corepedian: Oversee investigating new areas and collecting materials
  • Land Bank: Oversee securing resources and collecting minerals
  • Arms: Assist the Arms Company in building and arming Dolls (Dolls are what the mechs are called)
  • Companion: Jack of all trades, from breaking up fights to finding stray cats
Additionally, the online aspect is aiming to have players loosely connected, giving a sense of 'solidarity' without a constant awareness of other players. The map will be on the GamePad, unsurprisingly, and will be interactive, with players able to set waypoints and fast travel to locations. Battle speed is also set to be increased, allowing players to switch between long and short range attacks freely; in addition there'll be no healers. These will be replaced by a new system called “Soul Voice", which will be activated - with properly timed button presses - between party members (of which there are four) who string attacks together, providing the opportunity to heal while still attacking.
Meanwhile, Dolls (mechs) will be powerful but unwieldy, and some fights will necessitate the player disembarking a Doll in order to attack a specific part of a monster. Playtime could exceed three hundred hours, with some parts effectively continuing endlessly, and the 90 song+ soundtrack will be worked on by Hiroyuki Sawano
Xenoblade Chronicles X is shaping up to be a sizeable adventure, and could certainly deliver on the expectations surrounding it. Does any of this new information have you hyped? What are you most looking forward to in this game?

Also, more info:

Ahead of the game’s release this April in Japan, Xenoblade Chronicles X executive director Tetsuya Takahashi shared a few scant details on the game in an interview with Famitsu magazine. Retail blog Sinobi has summarized some of the more important information, and you can find our translation below.
Player Avatars:
While creating your avatar, you’ll be able to customize the following: gender, face-type, skin color, hairstyle, eyes, makeup, and voice. The base designs for the avatars are done by Kunihiko Tanaka, who designed characters for the game. (Tanaka also worked on Xenogears, and Xenosaga Episode I.)
Additionally, the voice options for the avatar will be provided by famous voice actors, which will be revealed on the official website in the near future.
Comparisons to Xenoblade Chronicles:
In Xenoblade Chronicles X, you’ll use the GamePad as an information terminal. While exploring Planet Mira, data accumulates on the GamePad, and you’ll freely get to access it afterwards. Some of the information that will be available the GamePad screen are details on the player’s position and quest destination.
There will also be a warp function installed on the GamePad, that allows you to warp to areas you’ve previously been to. This is important because Mira is about five times larger than the world in Xenoblade Chronicles. You’ll get to travel across the immense land in a seamless fashion as well. The faraway areas can be reached via the Dolls (mechs) which are capable of flight, or with support from the Wii U GamePad.
Takahashi says that, while Xenoblade Chronicles was a traditional RPG, Xenoblade Chronicles X is made to be an open-world RPG, where you accept quests in different areas and have many aspects that expand the story.
Moving along, here’s some more information Takahashi revealed to Famitsu:

• Takahashi reiterated that while Xenoblade Chronicles X is a game from the same lineage as Xenoblade Chronicles, it is not a sequel to that game—hence the “X” after the title, instead of a “2″.
  • The meaning behind the “X” (cross) also has to do with connecting with players far away (“across”). However, Takahashi describes Xenoblade Chronicles X as more of a “loosely connected” online game, rather than a regular online game. It’s unclear as to just what this means at the moment, but it could mean that the online features will be more asynchronous or passive.
  • Monolith Soft only prepared one track with vocals for Xenoblade Chronicles, but they’ve prepared a number of these for Xenoblade Chronicles X, enough to be considered quite a lot by RPG standards.
  • There are around 90 tracks in the game, and composer Hiroyuki Sawano was involved with all of them.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X’s battle system has the basic foundations of the one from Xenoblade Chronicles, but with an increased sense of speed. It has evolved into something that has a much more action-y feel to it. Characters can use short or long-ranged attacks, and there are no healer-type roles. The healing is done through a new system called “Soul Voice”. (This was demonstrated at E3)
  • Parties consist of four members. The player will control his or her character, while the other three are controlled by AI.
  • The number of unique monsters in the game and the equipment that you can acquire have been greatly increased. When Takahashi playtested the game recently for a final check, he clocked in at over 300 hours.
Xenoblade Chronicles X is slated for release in Japan on April 29, 2015 for Wii U, and will launch in North America and Europe later this year. Judging by this interview, Nintendo aren’t ready to reveal everything about the game just yet, so stay tuned for more info in the weeks to come.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
  • Takahashi reiterated that while Xenoblade Chronicles X is a game from the same lineage as Xenoblade Chronicles, it is not a sequel to that game—hence the “X” after the title, instead of a “2″.

What are you playing at, Monolith?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is anyone hoping for amiibo functionality for this game?
I was thinking about having the amiibo summoning a special boss based around the character where you can fight a giant Donkey Kong or Bowser. That would really make my wallet drop.

Lozjam

Smash Champion

What are you playing at, Monolith?
My guess is, is that is indeed a "sequel" in the vain that the entire Zelda series is a "sequel". Mira is the same world as the Bionis/Mechonis only changed(because of some stuff that happened in Xenoblade Chronicles). That is the reason we have Telethia and the Nopon in the world, and some eerily familiar land masses and structures shown within it's trailer and general world. So it isn't a direct sequel, but it is in the distant future from the original Xenoblade Chronicles.

I really wish we could see the English voice talent in Xenoblade X..... I am really curious... I like the whole British accents in Xenoblade Chronicles, yet it would be so wrong having people who live in New LA speaking in a British tongue....... I would at least like to see a mixture of British and American voice talent...

I was thinking about having the amiibo summoning a special boss based around the character where you can fight a giant Donkey Kong or Bowser. That would really make my wallet drop.
Please nothing too much..... For a JRPG of this size it would totally ruin the immersion.... HW, I like Amiibo support, Smash, hell yeah, Codename Steam, go for it, Fire Emblem, I am fully open. Just stay away from Zelda Wii U and Xenoblade Chronicles X!

D

Deleted member

I was thinking about how the amiibos can be used to unlock costumes for certain characters. For example, a Kirby amiibo will unlock a Kirby costume for Tatsu and the Samus amiibo will unlock a Samus costume for Elma.

The avatar, Cross, will have special costumes and weapons with the Shulk amiibo. The male avatar will get all of Shulk's gear and will be able to use the Monado as a weapon. For the female avatar, she will have all of Fiora's gear and will be able to wield the Monado or...
[collapse=Xenospoilers Chronicles]will be able to wield Meyneth's Monado. Oh, and she is human Fiora, not Mecha Fiora.[/collapse]

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
My guess is, is that is indeed a "sequel" in the vain that the entire Zelda series is a "sequel". Mira is the same world as the Bionis/Mechonis only changed(because of some stuff that happened in Xenoblade Chronicles). That is the reason we have Telethia and the Nopon in the world, and some eerily familiar land masses and structures shown within it's trailer and general world. So it isn't a direct sequel, but it is in the distant future from the original Xenoblade Chronicles.
That's my thought as well.

STILL WAITING ON AN EXPLANATION HERE, TAKAHASHI.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

Shulk does not look derpy. It was simply an effect of the small image size (called it btw!)
Ughghghhfff the 13th can't come fast enough. Shulk... QoQ (Well, I got my Pit today, at least!)

I thought about joining the amiibo thread but I feel like seeing all of the amiibo I don't have would make me:
annoyed
murderous

sad

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Holy Crap
GUYS. THE XENOBLADE WEBSITE UPDATED.
http://xenobladex.jp/index.html
Seems like Japan is getting the Xenoblade Soundtrack with the preorder of Xenoblade 3DS... This better come to the states!
Also, 2 new characters introduced.

A guy who looks like a military general with a scar on his chin, and a guy who has blonde hair and green eyes that remind me of...Shulk and Fiora. His hair especially looks like Shulk's, in terms of tufts and color, not neccessarily hair style. Coincidence?
Also, notice his stance:

Looks familiar...Kind of like this:

Coincidence? Or Takahashi trolling us out? : 3

Also, used google translate to see the descriptions of the 2 new guys on the site.

For the guy who kind of looks like Shulk, he's affiliated with Blade (obviously), a member of the Corps and is under the leadership of Elma and Irina, who are his his superiors. I think he wants to...be treated better despite being younger and may have some feelings for Irina.

As for the other guy with the scar, he was the original captain of the White Whale (or as google translated it, Moby ****, lol) and military secretary in the current government of NLA, and strives daily to deal with his daily affairs and protect the people.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Also, 2 new characters introduced.

A guy who looks like a military general with a scar on his chin, and a guy who has blonde hair and green eyes that remind me of...Shulk and Fiora. His hair especially looks like Shulk's, in terms of tufts and color, not neccessarily hair style. Coincidence?
Also, notice his stance:

Looks familiar...Kind of like this:

Coincidence? Or Takahashi trolling us out? : 3

Also, used google translate to see the descriptions of the 2 new guys on the site.

For the guy who kind of looks like Shulk, he's affiliated with Blade (obviously), a member of the Corps and is under the leadership of Elma and Irina, who are his his superiors. I think he wants to...be treated better despite being younger and may have some feelings for Irina.

As for the other guy with the scar, he was the original captain of the White Whale (or as google translated it, Moby ****, lol) and military secretary in the current government of NLA, and strives daily to deal with his daily affairs and protect the people.
Lmao. Everyone is a descendant of Shulk.

Welcome to Reynoblade ChromShulkles Shulk.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

If it's far enough in the future, you could end up at a point in time where everyone is a descendant of Shulk!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Haven't been here in a while. Looks like some weird stuff happened. A raid? Anyway...

As of a few hours ago, I have two Shulk amiibos. (Don't panic - one to use, one to keep boxed. I'm not scalping them.)

He's pretty good as far as these go. Not too derpy, colours seem about right. Though The Monado feels a bit flimsy and it doesn't have a transparent pane in its hilt.

No complaints though. Shulk's in Smash Bros. He has an amiibo. It's awesome.

Edit:

His eyes look a lot bigger and more like he's having a Vision than mine do. Maybe it's just the lighting. His eyes look pretty standard on mine - you can't really tell in my pictures, take my word for it :)

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Wonder if we'll see any custom shulks. I think blue Shulk may be doable.

Though, there's lots of different paint colors you would need.

All of the smash bros alts seem too tough... except Reyn. Looks like you just need black, brown, and orange..

Actually, this would probably the best one:

Credit: Rebellious Treecko

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Wonder if we'll see any custom shulks. I think blue Shulk may be doable.

Though, there's lots of different paint colors you would need.

All of the smash bros alts seem too tough... except Reyn. Looks like you just need black, brown, and orange..

Actually, this would probably the best one:

Credit: Rebellious Treecko
I'm planning to name my Shulk amiibo after that character, will probably just run Shulk's second colour since it's white. Close enough.
They could probably make some colours for characters like Egil (black, grey, orange) or D!ckson (blue, white, red).

D

Deleted member

Chrom...
The descendent deserves more than a Monado and a world full of Avalanche Abaasys.

If it's far enough in the future, you could end up at a point in time where everyone is a descendant of Shulk!
For all we know, we could all be descendants of Shulk!

Haven't been here in a while. Looks like some weird stuff happened. A raid? Anyway...

As of a few hours ago, I have two Shulk amiibos. (Don't panic - one to use, one to keep boxed. I'm not scalping them.)

He's pretty good as far as these go. Not too derpy, colours seem about right. Though The Monado feels a bit flimsy and it doesn't have a transparent pane in its hilt.

No complaints though. Shulk's in Smash Bros. He has an amiibo. It's awesome.

Edit:

His eyes look a lot bigger and more like he's having a Vision than mine do. Maybe it's just the lighting. His eyes look pretty standard on mine - you can't really tell in my pictures, take my word for it :)
I need this amiibo so badly!!
BTW, do you think I should buy two of them if I can? I was going to keep one for myself and one to sell later (because it will be rare) or save it for a good trade.

Not a Shulk main, but I do quite enjoy Xenoblade.

You've all probably seen this already, but a really nice cover of You Will Know Our Names! http://youtu.be/KJsWEY6PGVQ
I've heard that remix before. It's absolutely incredible!

You know, I wouldn't mind a remix of You Will Know Our Names in Xenoblade Chronicles: X.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Chrom...
The descendent deserves more than a Monado and a world full of Avalanche Abaasys.
See speaking of Fire Emblem I've never gotten why Chrom and Lucina consider it so important that they're descendants of Marth. Like, okay, sure, but it's been two thousand years. There are probably hundreds of thousands of Marth descendants walking around.

I changed the title of the thread again

So, looks like healing is no more in XCX. I can dig that, I guess

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
They also said you could change the gender of your character, which was to be expected, but it's awesome. If I get the option, I usually play as the female main character in RPGs.

Top Bottom