• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Welcome to the new home of the Bronados, here at Colony 6! We'll be working together to reconstruct our Shulk sub-forum, but feel free to use this place as your new hub for general discussion (so long as it stays within the boundaries of the Global Rules) and get to know one another.

I'll also be updating the OP with things you all would like to see included here (i.e. brief introductions, etc).

But for the time being...happy posting!

I hope you're really feeling it :4shulk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm really feeling the new topic.
I will miss the old one though, great memories.

These next two weeks and a half will feel so long, I need to wield the Monado. :(

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, here I am to like everyone's posts again.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Your friendly neighborhood Mooseypon is here!

IMG_307934677582558.jpeg

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
First page... represent?

Man, I told myself I'd go to sleep, but...

I need to post this:

ONWARDS! WE'RE NOT DONE YET!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
After watching some of Shulk's gameplay, man... a local release can't come soon enough.

I'll be honest, I'm really just making a post here so I can say I was on the first page this time.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Hmmm... Nope. I can't come here yet. You're going to need to boost the housing and special levels a bit before I'm willing to move to this thread. A couple rainbow slugs should do the trick. :p

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Okay yeah, this game is awesome. Been messing around with the demo thanks to @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and enjoying it. I need a break though, getting tired xD

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Any more spare NA demo codes out there?

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
After watching some of Shulk's gameplay, man... a local release can't come soon enough.

I'll be honest, I'm really just making a post here so I can say I was on the first page this time.
18 days, so close but feels so far.
Hmmm... Nope. I can't come here yet. You're going to need to boost the housing and special levels a bit before I'm willing to move to this thread. A couple rainbow slugs should do the trick. :p
I only have 1, raise the special and then I'll find another.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry that I'm a bit late to crash the party! Unfortunately someone put a damn barrier in the way. >_>

So after watching a LOT of Shulk gameplay, here's what I can conclude about his overall playstyle

- His attacks are not fast. They're leaning more on the slow side, but they're not horribly slow
- Spacing with Shulk is a big must. Most of the time, you're usually either using Buster or Smash and both arts debuff so maximizing your range is important so that you can stay away from your opponent's usual range
- Use monado arts at the right time and when it's safe enough. You can also do it while shielding
- Don't delay vision counter against quick attacks. Chances are that the attack will trigger the counter and will finish before your counter can even hit the opponent (Sheik lol)
- Avoid using vision with buster at low percentages. You can use any art but buster. Smash is recommended
- B-air, back throw, f-tilt and dash attack are great KO moves especially with Smash activated
- Use Monado speed against campers. Also, learn how to control it. The art looks a bit spastic imo
- Don't spam any of your smashes. Additionally, the hitboxes of f-smash and u-smash don't last that long
- Remember what I said about playing safe? Well, use Monado shield against Bowser. You can use buster if you want but taking additional damage from Bowser is NEVER good. He's the strongest (I only said strongest) character in the game
- I think you can add more u-tilts in the u-throw -> u-tilt -> air slash combo if you activate monado buster due to the knockback debuff
- As tempting as it is, don't throw out f-smash randomly. I've seen japanese players do it and they really pay for it
- Fair and Nair are your best buddies. Your jab is also great and so are your tilts. Bair is great if you know how to space it correctly. Its landing lag is somewhat noticeable but not that terrible

Note that in Smashwiki, it states that Buster and Smash reduces weight. It does NOT. It makes you receive more damage. That includes Smash. This is all based on Aero's postings about Shulk's weight
it's consistant, the only % I've confirmed though is Shield's 33.05% reduced damage.

I should probably make a topic but I don't have any way to test jump lol

so you do a move that does 10% and you take 12% (for Smash)
Edit: Monado Smash reduces weight and increases damage received. Monado buster increases damage received

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Well, time to rebuild our reputation.
*flips page*
And as Shulk consoled the Monado tenderly- *bricked*

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Just stopping by as a member to rebuild the Colony. ;w;

I suppose in the future, this is the group / thread that we'll potentially be discussing Xenoblade Chronicles X together(?). . . Looking forward to that! That said, I'll probably be lurking around here more often than not, watching, until we've all the time to discuss our hands-on Shulk in SSBIV. Until then, though, I will be anxiously awaiting for the release of demo (really, that Club Nintendo thing was dumb (I had Platinum, but lacked luck). . . It's obviously ready to be distributed to everyone. -sigh-).

Last edited:
- Don't delay vision counter against quick attacks. Chances are that the attack will trigger the counter and will finish before your counter can even hit the opponent (Sheik lol)
Not sure how to explain this properly but about this finding....

At one moment in a stream, a delayed counter was performed against Sheik but the hit missed for some reason because the Sheik air dodged even while she was slowed by the vision effect

Hokori

Great King of Evil
:link:
Just stopping by as a member to rebuild the Colony. ;w;

I suppose in the future, this is the group / thread that we'll potentially be discussing Xenoblade Chronicles X together(?). . . Looking forward to that! That said, I'll probably be lurking around here more often than not, watching, until we've all the time to discuss our hands-on Shulk in SSBIV. Until then, though, I will be anxiously awaiting for the release of demo (really, that Club Nintendo thing was dumb (I had Platinum, but lacked luck). . . It's obviously ready to be distributed to everyone. -sigh-).
Yup! Though, for XCX, we'll likely be using spoiler tags :p Nice to see around the Colony though, Creo!

Not sure how to explain this properly but about this finding....

At one moment in a stream, a delayed counter was performed against Sheik but the hit missed for some reason because the Sheik air dodged even while she was slowed by the vision effect
Your write-up is appreciated, friend.

As for Sheik avoid the hit of Vision/Counter, it doesn't surprise me. Her lack of landing lag and overall speed makes her feel like a Melee character. I've seen her on stream myself. Not against a Shulk player though =D

Raccoonman_900

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RMan_900
3DS FC
1418-6736-6840
Switch FC
SW-5350-0976-4122
I heard that the social thread moved here. So um… let's start fresh?

Your write-up is appreciated, friend.

As for Sheik avoid the hit of Vision/Counter, it doesn't surprise me. Her lack of landing lag and overall speed makes her feel like a Melee character. I've seen her on stream myself. Not against a Shulk player though =D
No problem

Additionally, I noticed that air slash surprisingly starts up fast so combine that with smash, I think it would make for a potentially good KO attack (oh and it has long range)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
No problem

Additionally, I noticed that air slash surprisingly starts up fast so combine that with smash, I think it would make for a potentially good KO attack (oh and it has long range)
I've thought of using Monado Jump > Air Slash to follow up on a hit that sends them up; low enough for you to reach before the opponent is out of hitstun, but high enough to where it is likely that they'll get KO'd(will have to be mindful of their percent though).

Unfortunately, I don't have the game to test things out for myself :ohwell:

I've thought of using Monado Jump > Air Slash to follow up on a hit that sends them up; low enough for you to reach before the opponent is out of hitstun, but high enough to where it is likely that they'll get KO'd(will have to be mindful of their percent though).

Unfortunately, I don't have the game to test things out for myself :ohwell:
I think that also works but then again, even I need to test whether some of my findings were right

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Man, @ Jellyfishn Jellyfishn plays a mean Shulk.

Thanks man. :) He has been one of my favorite characters so far. The Monado varies his gameplay and makes him really unique. I just came over here to post that video, but it looks like it has already been posted a couple of times. Haha

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm loving that a fresh Jab Combo does 15% and how his D-Air has a meteor effect during its startup (I've been wondering about that for awhile).

Edgeguarding with B-Air is really going to hurt some characters too :)
He looks like a match up nightmare for Marth. Marth relies on spacing so much and Shulk can really punish people from that sort of range.

I will always use Monado Smash whenever anyone enters the 70% range, lol.

I can check them out, but does anyone know the quickest way to unlock them or is it just random? I haven't really focused at all on the custom moves.
Thanks for trying to find 'em out but unfortunately, I'm not sure about the quickest way so sorry if I'm not of any help :(

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I can check them out, but does anyone know the quickest way to unlock them or is it just random? I haven't really focused at all on the custom moves.
According to some guy on Neogaf that has been getting them quick it's through playing a lot of Smash run, although I hear Classic on 7.0 or above intensity is also a good way of doing it.

You also have a higher chance of getting unlocks for the character you are using then for any other character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom