• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hmm, the article actually got a lot wrong.
It's not an article done for the hardcore Xenoblade fans, so I think it was fine for what it was. The writer was trying to condense a lot of plot into a short amount of space and he was clearly not an expert on the game. I still appreciated it, though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Soooo...
I just got an email from GameStop. They canceled my Shulk Amiibo and Ike Amiibo preorders at, very literally, the last second. Does anyone have an extra of either of these they would be willing to sell?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Soooo...
I just got an email from GameStop. They canceled my Shulk Amiibo and Ike Amiibo preorders at, very literally, the last second. Does anyone have an extra of either of these they would be willing to sell?
Crap, now I'm worried about mine :S

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So...my Bowser amiibo's OP as crap. I trained my Bowser Amiibo to level 50 last night, and his damage and defense....Holy crap it's ridiculous. Unless i'm playing someone with high KO/damage priority/output like LM, another Bowser(or any heavy really) or Buster/Smash Shulk, he'll typically take until 170% to die with anyone else i use. And given how grab happy i can be when it comes to punishing, since it's relatively safe and effective my amiibo does the same to me most of the time, with BOTH normal grab and Flying Slam. And Flying Slam does 30% damage now, and can KO at over 90% which doesn't take long for my amiibo to rack me up to. Counter's not effective because most of the time he approachs with his grabs, and when he doesn't, he U-smashes me, which has auto guard. Keep in mind, i did not feed my amiibo ANY equipment up to this point, this is all just increased base stats alone. I literally had to feed him equiment to LOWER all of his base stats for him to become easier to deal with, although he still feels OP. At least i can replace Flying Slam with Dash Claw to remove that option for him, but still...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
So...my Bowser amiibo's OP as crap. I trained my Bowser Amiibo to level 50 last night, and his damage and defense....Holy crap it's ridiculous. Unless i'm playing someone with high KO/damage priority/output like LM, another Bowser(or any heavy really) or Buster/Smash Shulk, he'll typically take until 170% to die with anyone else i use. And given how grab happy i can be when it comes to punishing, since it's relatively safe and effective my amiibo does the same to me most of the time, with BOTH normal grab and Flying Slam. And Flying Slam does 30% damage now, and can KO at over 90% which doesn't take long for my amiibo to rack me up to. Counter's not effective because most of the time he approachs with his grabs, and when he doesn't, he U-smashes me, which has auto guard. Keep in mind, i did not feed my amiibo ANY equipment up to this point, this is all just increased base stats alone. I literally had to feed him equiment to LOWER all of his base stats for him to become easier to deal with, although he still feels OP. At least i can replace Flying Slam with Dash Claw to remove that option for him, but still...
I'm actually hoping to get my Shulk amiibo as op as possible. Amiibo tournaments ftw.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Does Shield Art actually make counter better?...

He was struggling at first against Yoshi but that counter ftw

edit: These commentators know like nothing about Shulk. Shulk's not better on FD, lol.
Shulk's not better on fd? At least I have to say my shulk's stage of preference is FD (of course omega gaur plain being first :p)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shulk's not better on fd? At least I have to say my shulk's stage of preference is FD (of course omega gaur plain being first :p)
Well I would argue he's better on stages like Battlefield, since he has an easier time taking advantage of his aerial attacks and even some ground attacks like his up tilt. Due to his long range he can easily attack players on platforms.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if this would be a good time to begin my media blackout. I don't want to have too much spoiled for me.
You probably won't have to go into media black out till the Japanese release. Monolith Soft is very good at spoiling almost nothing.

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
Can I just say how amusing it is to watch these recent blind Let's Plays of Xenoblade Chronicles? Probably the most entertaining part is Shulk and Reyn's battle against the Colony Krabble.

1. "Back Slash!"
2. "Now it's Reyn time!"
3. "I can feel the power!"
4. "All right! I'm feeling it!"

"OMG! HE SAID IT! He's feeling it!" said the blind Let's Player.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The worst part is that "I'm really feeling it" isn't really a catchphrase. It's just a generic battle quote among dozens of them.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Can I just say how amusing it is to watch these recent blind Let's Plays of Xenoblade Chronicles? Probably the most entertaining part is Shulk and Reyn's battle against the Colony Krabble.

1. "Back Slash!"
2. "Now it's Reyn time!"
3. "I can feel the power!"
4. "All right! I'm feeling it!"

"OMG! HE SAID IT! He's feeling it!" said the blind Let's Player.
Oh god, maybe I'll watch one of these sometime. Probably after I eventually finish Chugga's LP.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I'm actually a little irritated that Shulk made it into Smash at all for no other reason than that people now see Shulk as some sort of British meme fountain instead of the developed character that he actually is in Xenoblade. "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!", "Now it's Shulk time", Swimwear Shulk, none of it fits Shulk's character at all. It's part of the reason that the only taunt I use as Shulk is "This is the Monado's power!" because the other ones are just so annoying. Although I'm glad Xenoblade got exposure from Smash, I'm not sure that the price of it should be everyone and their mothers yelling "HE SAID IT" when Shulk says "Alright! I'm feeling it" or "I'm really feeling it" in Xenoblade. Especially since Shulk is so subdued in Xenoblade. It completely destroyed his character imo

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
Before Shulk's trailer, the "I'm really feeling it!" and "NOTHING'S GONNA STOP ME!" were actually one of my favorite battle quotes to hear because Shulk is performing well in battle. I really liked the tone of these two quotes.

...Then it changed when it became a meme. Nowadays, I kinda lose respect if someone does not see Shulk as a developed character.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm actually a little irritated that Shulk made it into Smash at all for no other reason than that people now see Shulk as some sort of British meme fountain instead of the developed character that he actually is in Xenoblade. "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!", "Now it's Shulk time", Swimwear Shulk, none of it fits Shulk's character at all. It's part of the reason that the only taunt I use as Shulk is "This is the Monado's power!" because the other ones are just so annoying. Although I'm glad Xenoblade got exposure from Smash, I'm not sure that the price of it should be everyone and their mothers yelling "HE SAID IT" when Shulk says "Alright! I'm feeling it" or "I'm really feeling it" in Xenoblade. Especially since Shulk is so subdued in Xenoblade. It completely destroyed his character imo
Who isn't a meme fountain in Smash Bros.? Also when had Smash ever tried to stay close to the characters personality?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Who isn't a meme fountain in Smash Bros.? Also when had Smash ever tried to stay close to the characters personality?
:4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4falcon::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness::4zelda::4zelda::4zelda::4zelda::4zelda::4zelda::4fox::4fox::4fox::4fox::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4ganondorf::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4shulk::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4lucina::4charizard::4charizard::4charizard::4darkpit::4darkpit::4darkpit::4sonic::4sonic::4sonic::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4robinm::4robinf::4robinf:
I think I proved my point....
Sakurai 0/10
Pre-order cancelled
"The future doesn't belong to you!"

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everyone of those have a meme or 2 related to them, well almost everyone. Why did you put Pokemon Trainer in there?
Most of the time? Like basically everyone except for Shulk?
Mhm, so obviously Captain Falcon has always spat cheezy quotes?

The point I'm trying to make is that Smash Bros is the gateway. If people want to know more about Shulk they'll play his game and learn his personality. I haven't read Shulks trophy but surely there's references to what he's like in there.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Most of the time? Like basically everyone except for Shulk?
:4lucina:: "This is the Hero King!?"
:4robinf:: "How can you protect Chrom when you can't protect yourself?"
:4myfriends:: "You'll get no sympathy from me."
:4marth:: "Everyone! Look at me!"
:4robinm:: *Is actually in character*

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
My gooood. I just watched the Bravely Second trailer and I keep replaying it for the music. x-x

Square Enix just give us a western release date this is killing me ufgh.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I just watched the latest Bravely Second trailer. That music is fantastic! Gives me some relief since there are new composers.

I've not finished Bravely Default yet (I'm getting there!), and I can't read Japanese or identify their VAs, but...
... going off the images, the video has reaffirmed in my mind who I believe the true villain of the game is.

For the record, I've been through the Holy Pillar and will re-defeat Braev and DeRosso before I let myself revive the Earth Crystal - they're the only subquests remaining. I'm at something like 120hrs play time. This is what happens when you read every single data entry and when you give a completionist story-lover like me the ability to redo every boss battle knowing it may help solve a mystery.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I just watched the latest Bravely Second trailer. That music is fantastic! Gives me some relief since there are new composers.

I've not finished Bravely Default yet (I'm getting there!), and I can't read Japanese or identify their VAs, but...
... going off the images, the video has reaffirmed in my mind who I believe the true villain of the game is.

For the record, I've been through the Holy Pillar and will re-defeat Braev and DeRosso before I let myself revive the Earth Crystal - they're the only subquests remaining. I'm at something like 120hrs play time. This is what happens when you read every single data entry and when you give a completionist story-lover like me the ability to redo every boss battle knowing it may help solve a mystery.
Wow... I was wondering if you finished the game yet, ha.

In regard to APEX, there was only one Shulk player then? Sadness. I was hoping for at least a few.

How many people here are going to avoid the X direct just to stay blind on the game? I'm tempted.

In regard to APEX, there was only one Shulk player then? Sadness. I was hoping for at least a few.

How many people here are going to avoid the X direct just to stay blind on the game? I'm tempted.
I think Ally also used Shulk in his road to top 16 and there's Badbada

There were only 2 iirc

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

I've been leisurely cruising through Chapter 5, though nearly done and (kinda) wanna get it out of the way. I've been bouncing between Bravely Default, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Rhythm Paradise, Theatrhythm FF:CC (Mostly because of BD and TWEWY DLC), Layton vs. Wright, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PS3 Re:MIX, nearly done) and bits of Disgaea D2, Bayonetta and probably some other stuff. That's my excuse :)

In the trailer, I reckon that Relius Clover Gerome Anime Batman looks pretty cool as a villain (assuming he is one.) It also confirms that those damn dragons are coming back - did the elemental breath and hit them all with "Weak Point!"... Kind of curious to see if the Ba'al (nemesis) bosses are gonna show again. Not that I can beat them in BD yet, but their designs and battle themes are awesome. I vaguely remember hearing something alluding that they'd appear, which makes them a pretty cool precursor in BD.

I heard there was some "Shulk action" going down on this stream (http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky) but I don't know if that's one of the two mentioned. I don't really watch streams or pay attention to the best Smash players, so you guys will know more than me. If anyone actually has videos to those matches, let me know. I'm sad I missed them.

Last edited:

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
I hope Bravely Second will reflect that Square listened to some of the criticism that Bravely Default had, tweak some things, and make it a truly amazing game. I put so much time into Bravely Default. I loved the gameplay, the music, etc., but
the second half of the game where it was just fighting the same bosses and awakening the same crystals over and over again, it was just so frustrating. I had to force myself to finish it. I understand why they did it after beating the true ending (btw, it made no sense to me that doing exactly what Airy wanted you to do, even after you figured her out, gave you the true ending. You got the bad ending for breaking the crystals.), but it was still frustrating leading up to it

I'm glad to hear the music is good. I was worried when I heard Linked Horizon wasn't doing the music for this one, but everything I've heard so far sounds good.

I got to watch some of Badada's Shulk matches, and I was impressed. Wish he had made it farther.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hope Bravely Second will reflect that Square listened to some of the criticism that Bravely Default had, tweak some things, and make it a truly amazing game. I put so much time into Bravely Default. I loved the gameplay, the music, etc., but
the second half of the game where it was just fighting the same bosses and awakening the same crystals over and over again, it was just so frustrating. I had to force myself to finish it. I understand why they did it after beating the true ending (btw, it made no sense to me that doing exactly what Airy wanted you to do, even after you figured her out, gave you the true ending. You got the bad ending for breaking the crystals.), but it was still frustrating leading up to it

I'm glad to hear the music is good. I was worried when I heard Linked Horizon wasn't doing the music for this one, but everything I've heard so far sounds good.

I got to watch some of Badada's Shulk matches, and I was impressed. Wish he had made it farther.
Because in Square Enix games, you have to break things before you can fix them.
Tvtropes: "You can't thwart stage one".

Edit: That, or face the Giant Space Flea from Nowhere that's usually reserved for bonus bosses.

Now that I think about, it seems like plot twists in their games merely exist so
that you can fight an ultra-epic-powerful boss at the end without having players go "WTF".

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Because in Square Enix games, you have to break things before you can fix them.
Tvtropes: "You can't thwart stage one".
It always makes for such a great plot twist. It is for this reason that I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if it somehow turns out that in the fight between the Bionis and Mechonis, the Bionis was the bad guy?"

Between "I've played a lot of games" and "Overanalysing everything because of Year 11/12 English", I can generally pick a lot of plot twists early.
Actually, because I'm often certain about how things will play out, this made the final plot twist of The Last Story hit me like a freight train. I expected it to do something like Star Fox Adventures' final battle. We'd fight Zangurak, get the beatdown, then Dagran would mount a Dunban-and-Duckson style rescue, admit he was wrong for what he'd done, and we'd beat Zangurak. I was certain, so... I completely didn't see the twist coming. ...:crying:

To be honest, I love that twist a lot, purely because I didn't see it coming and yet all the signs were there. It's what plot twists should be.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It always makes for such a great plot twist. It is for this reason that I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if it somehow turns out that in the fight between the Bionis and Mechonis, the Bionis was the bad guy?"

Between "I've played a lot of games" and "Overanalysing everything because of Year 11/12 English", I can generally pick a lot of plot twists early.
Actually, because I'm often certain about how things will play out, this made the final plot twist of The Last Story hit me like a freight train. I expected it to do something like Star Fox Adventures' final battle. We'd fight Zangurak, get the beatdown, then Dagran would mount a Dunban-and-****son style rescue, admit he was wrong for what he'd done, and we'd beat Zangurak. I was certain, so... I completely didn't see the twist coming. ...:crying:
To be honest, I love that twist a lot, purely because I didn't see it coming and yet all the signs were there. It's what plot twists should be.
It didn't surprise me that much after the scene where Dagran tries to stop Zael
from leaving his dream of becoming a knight (a scene I find particularly hilarious. He's like "I'm gonna stop you"
and you think you're gonna fight, but Zael's just like "lol nope" and just walks past Dagran as he stands there.), but
I suppose not many would expect him to go that far. As a side note, I like how the fight progresses. The first phase
is obviously Dagran (of course they gave him a death skill so he could use it on the player...), the second is somewhat
ambiguous whether it's him or the Outsider and reveals (forgot his name) the black mage's secret eye... which is never
mentioned again :ohwell:. Then the third phase is obviously Outsider.

Top Bottom