• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
It didn't surprise me that much after the scene where Dagran tries to stop Zael
from leaving his dream of becoming a knight (a scene I find particularly hilarious. He's like "I'm gonna stop you"
and you think you're gonna fight, but Zael's just like "lol nope" and just walks past Dagran as he stands there.), but
I suppose not many would expect him to go that far. As a side note, I like how the fight progresses. The first phase
is obviously Dagran (of course they gave him a death skill so he could use it on the player...), the second is somewhat
ambiguous whether it's him or the Outsider and reveals (forgot his name) the black mage's secret eye... which is never
mentioned again :ohwell:. Then the third phase is obviously Outsider.
To me when that scene on the bridge happens, I interpreted it a bit differently. When he says "I'll stop you by force" and then Zael just walks past him, it said that the two of them still had a bond (Dagran couldn't bring himself to attack Zael) and that somewhere deep down, Dagran knew that his action to achieve knighthood were wrong.

I really wish Yurick kept Big Bang as his Special. His "Rrrugh! BURN IN HELL!" was amazing :laugh: I think Syrenne spent 60% of that final fight lying unconscious on the floor.

Reading your comment, did you ever catch the conversation where Yurick reveals his eye early on? Around... I dunno... 40-50%(ish) through the game you can talk to Yurick in Ariela's Tavern and he shows it to Zael. Says that when he was younger, he replaced his eye with the magic stone to improve his magic skills, and he attributes the stone as a factor in why he's so adept at magic despite his young age. He's not able to completely control it so he keeps it hidden as some kind of power limiter. Despite it not being under control, he doesn't regret the decision.

I think Lowell and Syrenne also have some personal conversations at some point in the tavern too, later on. I missed them, but caught my brother playing Lowell's conversation, and chatting with Syrenne a lot. I missed what Syrenne was on about (I think it may have pertained to Lowell?), but Lowell's chat revolved around why he's such a lady-killer. He was engaged to someone and they ended up dying (possibly attacked by bandits and that's where he got the scar?); he understandably had a rough time dealing with the loss. When he finally found someone else he thought he could settle down with, she died of an illness. He found more and they kept dying. So it got to a point where he wanted the female company but not the attachment because of the pain he'd been through.

I kind of wish Mirania had one. She kind of had the 'spaced-out forest girl' thing going for her, and that was good, but the others have some really good backstory and hers is just "I grew up with one of those spirit things". Maybe I just didn't find one. She was also the only one you don't temporarily play as at any point in the main story. Oh well. Muffins, though.

Fun fact: Alvis and Jirall have the same English voice actor, as do Gadolt and Zangurak. I managed to pick out Jirall to be Alvis during his trial against Zael (for 'kidnapping' Calista?), but it's hard to pick Gadolt/Zagurak because Gadolt has few lines and Zangurak has that echo-y voice filter.

I miss the TLS online mode; shame it's down. It felt underwhelming in co-op (only 5 co-op bosses) but was still great fun, along with Deathmatches. Had the greatest online-chat-system ever. I wish it was also offline multiplayer because I reckon I could've convinced my friends to play it. Would've been a change of pace from constant Smash, Mario Kart and COD.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
To me when that scene on the bridge happens, I interpreted it a bit differently. When he says "I'll stop you by force" and then Zael just walks past him, it said that the two of them still had a bond (Dagran couldn't bring himself to attack Zael) and that somewhere deep down, Dagran knew that his action to achieve knighthood were wrong.

I really wish Yurick kept Big Bang as his Special. His "Rrrugh! BURN IN HELL!" was amazing :laugh: I think Syrenne spent 60% of that final fight lying unconscious on the floor.

Reading your comment, did you ever catch the conversation where Yurick reveals his eye early on? Around... I dunno... 40-50%(ish) through the game you can talk to Yurick in Ariela's Tavern and he shows it to Zael. Says that when he was younger, he replaced his eye with the magic stone to improve his magic skills, and he attributes the stone as a factor in why he's so adept at magic despite his young age. He's not able to completely control it so he keeps it hidden as some kind of power limiter. Despite it not being under control, he doesn't regret the decision.

I think Lowell and Syrenne also have some personal conversations at some point in the tavern too, later on. I missed them, but caught my brother playing Lowell's conversation, and chatting with Syrenne a lot. I missed what Syrenne was on about (I think it may have pertained to Lowell?), but Lowell's chat revolved around why he's such a lady-killer. He was engaged to someone and they ended up dying (possibly attacked by bandits and that's where he got the scar?); he understandably had a rough time dealing with the loss. When he finally found someone else he thought he could settle down with, she died of an illness. He found more and they kept dying. So it got to a point where he wanted the female company but not the attachment because of the pain he'd been through.

I kind of wish Mirania had one. She kind of had the 'spaced-out forest girl' thing going for her, and that was good, but the others have some really good backstory and hers is just "I grew up with one of those spirit things". Maybe I just didn't find one. She was also the only one you don't temporarily play as at any point in the main story. Oh well. Muffins, though.

Fun fact: Alvis and Jirall have the same English voice actor, as do Gadolt and Zangurak. I managed to pick out Jirall to be Alvis during his trial against Zael (for 'kidnapping' Calista?), but it's hard to pick Gadolt/Zagurak because Gadolt has few lines and Zangurak has that echo-y voice filter.

I miss the TLS online mode; shame it's down. It felt underwhelming in co-op (only 5 co-op bosses) but was still great fun, along with Deathmatches. Had the greatest online-chat-system ever. I wish it was also offline multiplayer because I reckon I could've convinced my friends to play it. Would've been a change of pace from constant Smash, Mario Kart and COD.
Sadly I only managed to get one online match in before the service was closed. Even more sad, I got my butt handed to me in it. :p

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hey everyone!!! :D

:happysheep:

Why am I soooo happy? Because I can finally let myself visit this section of the forum now that I beat Xenoblade! :3

Yeah, I'm probably going to be told this place isn't that spoilery, but after how often people just casually dropped spoilers in just random other places on the forum, couldn't risk it.

Anyway, first discovered Xenoblade due to the gematsu leak, but didn't really know that much about it until Chuggaaconroy started his let's play. Stopped watching it when he got to prison island, (and funnily enough so did he since he apparently got sick), and got the game for my birthday on September 1st. I played it quite a bit...then school got in the way and AP computer science was unexpectedly hard. Then Smash bros. Then Pokemon...Was kinda a mess. >.>

Didn't get to finish it until last week. So that was a long time coming... ^^;

Anyway favorite things, favorite things.

Top three favorite characters to play as:
3. Shulk
2. Riki
1. MELIA!

Top three favorite music tracks:
3. The one who gets in our way
2. You will know our names
1. Tragic decision

Favorite areas:
3. Gaur Plains
2. Mechonis field
1. Valak Mountain

Xenoblade was an amazing game. The characters were amazing, the story was good. The humor. I love the charm of the game including all the quotable dialog. Don't forget the god-tier music/

I'm very excited for X! Hearing all the juicy details makes me pumped! So much more content in a beautiful looking world. If there is one thing I'm worried about though, is that the new sci-fi approach might get rid of a lot of the charm of the previous game.

Now do I main Shulk? Ehhh...I ended up dropping him personally. I had way too many mains at four, so I narrowed it down to three at least with Jigglypuff, Villager, and Rosalina.

I still use him a lot for fun though. So if I ever fight you guys, I might just bring him out for kicks. :)

Nice to meet you all. :)

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Just one more day until the US gets Young Link! :D
Just...one...more...day...T-T

I managed to dodge pit's arrow in mid air by activating MArts in mid air at the right time

lol

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
For those who have Xenoblade, I'm not sure if you guys noticed this fun trivia.

On the Wii Menu, go to Wii Options > Data Management > Save Data > Wii.

Now find the Xenoblade save icon. When you do find it, you'll get what is quite possibly the best Wii save icon ever.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Now find the Xenoblade save icon. When you do find it, you'll get what is quite possibly the best Wii save icon ever.
I know, I know!
I've tried to find a gif for it, to change it into my boot symbol.
Not I have just Win8.1 and it's useless for me.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I managed to dodge pit's arrow in mid air by activating MArts in mid air at the right time

lol
Once I dodged Critical Hit by activating Monado Arts. Forgot to save the replay though D:

wait this is actually the best thing
@ LordTakeo LordTakeo did you ever find a gif I still have Windows 7 so it's still relevant to me

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
*AI Shulk uses battle soul*

Oh my god. Kill yourself already
*Nods* *Nods* Is battle soul really that useful on it's own anyway? Everytime I used it, I felt my auto-attack would've been a way more effective method of getting the talent gauge up instead of cutting my HP.

Also, first day in this thread and we already have the best possible title for this thread. <3

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12

I didnt expect that but I can't stop looking at it.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Wait now I can't choose ;-; is there a way to randomize boot symbol like you can do with desktop wallpaper

EDIT: You cannot set animated images as your account picture this makes me disappointed as I now have a black square as my profile picture

EDIT 2: The Riki gif is too big and now I have his ear as my account picture what do i do

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Wait now I can't choose ;-; is there a way to randomize boot symbol like you can do with desktop wallpaper

EDIT: You cannot set animated images as your account picture this makes me disappointed as I now have a black square as my profile picture

EDIT 2: The Riki gif is too big and now I have his ear as my account picture what do i do
I can make the gif a bit smaller if you'd like.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I can make the gif a bit smaller if you'd like.
I found a resizing thing online but I don't think gifs can be used as account pictures. Oh well, the Loading Monado is still pretty sweet.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I can turn that loading screen gif into the "loading" mouse cursor for my Monado cursor set :D! I was looking for something like that months ago.

Oo, maybe I can give you guys a download of that set when I get that loading cursor done. My vector calculus homework comes first, though.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
This title... That's a weird way of saying Fiora is the best.

Seriously though. Fiora for Smash. She probably has the most potential as a Smash character besides Shulk.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
This title... That's a weird way of saying Fiora is the best.

Seriously though. Fiora for Smash. She probably has the most potential as a Smash character besides Shulk.
But the question is...Regular or Mecha Fiora?
Mecha Fiora, regular Fiora doesn't have enough unidqueness.

Although for Smash, given that the Nopon seem to be the mascots of Monolith Soft I'd say Riki has the most chance at being a playable character in SSB5(6?)
Melia I'm sorta ehh about though... like she has a really cool battle gimmick and a really interesting and really really sucky backstory but I just don't like her as much as I do Riki or Dunban.

I totally understand why people like her though it's just that I don't personally place her as my favorite character in Xenoblade.

Maybe if I play Xenoblade again I'll understand. Onward!
Playing Xenoblade should be the remedy for everything

On a side note, I really hope they give us lyrics for the Xenoblade X songs.

Last edited:

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Melia I'm sorta ehh about though... like she has a really cool battle gimmick and a really interesting and really really sucky backstory but I just don't like her as much as I do Riki or Dunban.
Melia has an interesting battle mechanic. I just don't see it as enough to make her a good candidate. Riki too honestly.

Fiora's still the best though. The only problem with putting her in is spoilers for everyone who hasn't played yet. Then again, they already have that trophy.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Fiora's still the best though. The only problem with putting her in is spoilers for everyone who hasn't played yet. Then again, they already have that trophy.
They also have Shiek and Lucina, both of whom are walking spoilers.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Spoilers most likely won't even be taken into consideration for her chances after the spoiler trophies and two living, breathing spoilers. imo she is the most likely anyway since she's the second most important playable character (Shulk obviously being first), and she can have a really unique moveset as well. I'd love any other Xenoblade character being playable, although I think my sig and icon show who I'd prefer lol

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Speaking of Melia being the best...
Poor poor Melia. It's such a horrible running gag that she always gets the short end of the stick. Pretty much all her family ends up dying in the end, most of her people she has to kill, she can't get anything as simple as love and she has to be constantly reminded how she doesn't compare to Fiora. God that one scene where Fiora and Shulk were holding hands and Melia notices broke my heart. ;_;

Really, I'm surprised she didn't break down after all the **** she had to deal with. She is certainly strong.

I think Fiora is the better newcomer though. Mostly for uniqueness but also...

Because let's face it. A robot girl is a perfect rep for the Xeno series in general due to Monolith's robot girl...obsession. :p

With that said, I'd expect a rep from X first. Though, the choices so far aren't that amazing until we learn more of the story.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Allow me to copy a post I made on the Xenoblade subreddit a while ago on why Melia is the best character in Xenoblade. Or at least my favorite:

Melia. She's something we don't see a lot of in video games, and unfortunately, in a lot of media. She's a character who is both feminine and a badass. A lot of games have someone like Peach, who is very feminine, but gets kidnapped every three seconds, and then you have characters who are pretty much guys with boobs. Which is totally fine, people like both of those exist. But it does leave a want for badasses with feminine personalities.

Melia likes astrology. She's very prim and proper. She dresses in what are generally considered "girly" colors. And yet she isn't the healer character, or expected to stay in the background. Watch cutscenes where the party takes on a boss. Who's almost always the first one to stand up, ready to fight? Melia. Not to mention all the terrible stuff she's forced to go through, and she still stays tough.

But she's not an emotional robot. Near the end, when she confides in Riki, it's shown just how much all of her problems have affected her, and it's shown that she's finally learned to trust her friends, something she's shown to have major trouble with earlier in the game.

Overall, she just seems very... Human. She conforms to some gender roles, and shrugs others off. Her emotional responses to things, and her development as a character all seem very real.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Speaking of Melia being the best...
God that one scene where Fiora and Shulk were holding hands and Melia notices broke my heart. ;_;

Really, I'm surprised she didn't break down after all the **** she had to deal with. She is certainly strong.
I'm going to be honest. I was kinda cracking up when this scene played out. Call me what you will, Fiora > Melia.

I really am surprised she didn't crack though. I was playing the game fully expecting the two of them to cat fight at some point only to find both of them accepting each other. Especially when she first laid eyes on her. You could just feel the jealousy through the really good Wii graphics. It caught me off guard pretty good. Really shows how strong both of them really are when you think about it.

D

Deleted member

A robot girl is a perfect rep for the Xeno series in general due to Monolith's robot girl...obsession. :p
I agree with this part because...
...Fiora's Mechon armor always gave me Xenosaga vibes, and I highly doubt that KOS-MOS or anyone else from that series will ever appear in a Smash game due to its lack of relevance and weak connection to Nintendo.
I would personally prefer Melia, though.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Allow me to copy a post I made on the Xenoblade subreddit a while ago on why Melia is the best character in Xenoblade. Or at least my favorite:

Melia. She's something we don't see a lot of in video games, and unfortunately, in a lot of media. She's a character who is both feminine and a badass. A lot of games have someone like Peach, who is very feminine, but gets kidnapped every three seconds, and then you have characters who are pretty much guys with boobs. Which is totally fine, people like both of those exist. But it does leave a want for badasses with feminine personalities.

Melia likes astrology. She's very prim and proper. She dresses in what are generally considered "girly" colors. And yet she isn't the healer character, or expected to stay in the background. Watch cutscenes where the party takes on a boss. Who's almost always the first one to stand up, ready to fight? Melia. Not to mention all the terrible stuff she's forced to go through, and she still stays tough.

But she's not an emotional robot. Near the end, when she confides in Riki, it's shown just how much all of her problems have affected her, and it's shown that she's finally learned to trust her friends, something she's shown to have major trouble with earlier in the game.

Overall, she just seems very... Human. She conforms to some gender roles, and shrugs others off. Her emotional responses to things, and her development as a character all seem very real.
..You've just completely changed how I look at her, and although I liked her before I can appreciate her a lot more as a character now.
You're great at writing.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Egil is the best.

. . . Anyways, check out some official XCX artwork, including visuals of a new character by the name of "Maurice".

Edit: That mystical deer-thing with the giant antlers has been my favorite enemy design shown since the games reveal, and with the plethora of (similar) pictures depicting it, I suppose 'ole Monolith Soft fancies it too.

Edit # 2: XCX Maurice profile.

XCX Enemy Encyclopedia.

Last edited:
Battle soul is only good if you feel like giving the enemy the upper hand for the ****s and giggles

I might go to a tournament tomorrow but I feel like ditching it for more time with friends. Hard decision making here especially since 1st place prize is a 3DS with Smash bundled with it

Edit:
*sees Reddit's new tier list*
*Shulk > Mega Man*

lol.

Top 20 is where our beloved Monado boy belongs. Not top 15 or top 10. Lmao. inb4untapped potenshul (Makes sense though if that's the reasoning)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Battle Soul is pretty good, only for the fact that I'm able to revive my party members if they somehow managed to die from a strong attack.
(Love the Melia discussion here by the way)

I can't ditch Melia at all. Her DPS is just too good. AI Shulk is ass but it's miles better than lol AI Melia. Plus, it's manageable to work with anyway as long as I perform well

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Battle Soul is pretty good, only for the fact that I'm able to revive my party members if they somehow managed to die from a strong attack.
That's what Happy Happy is for. And doesn't Battle Soul only increase your Talent Gauge?

By the way, which team of three do you think is the best? I would say some combination of Melia, Shulk, Dunban, and Riki. Reyn is not that great, Sharla is trash, and Seven is basically a worse Dunban. Melia, Shulk, and Dunban are major DPS, and Riki's DoT and healing is really helpful. Now I wish Xenoblade could have 4 characters in the party like Xenoblade X :(

btw guys you can unequip Battle Soul by going into the Arts menu and pressing ZR

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
YO, using Melia is so much fun

I like to blast enemies from a distance while the other losers fight up close

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Probably my favorite thing to do as Melia is go to Nagul Waterfall in Valak, attack the Paguls there, and see from how far away I can get Starlight Kick to force Topple. What you do is you run toward an enemy, and activate Spear Break and then Starlight Kick in quick succession, then see how far the ice physics take you. I've gotten one from like 2/3 of the way across the ice. XD

Top Bottom