• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

D

Deleted member

I'm kind of surprised that Dark Pit is dead last.
Behind Miis even. How is that possible?

I'm not surprised about Captain Falcon, however. I've seen a large influx of Captain Falcon users recently... but I didn't imagine it would be this much according to the graph.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
This thread might help you:
http://smashboards.com/threads/shulk-vs-r-o-b-matchup.384697/
-
I'll be participating in that big online tournament with 1150+ people. Lmao look at this:

I hate the Captain Falcon match-up >_<. I'd better get on Smashladder and learn that match-up well.
Lol, i know the feeling. PERsonally, i can deal with CF fine with just Shulk or ZSS, they're good against them. Also, that tourney wouldnt' happen to be the Starmen.net tourney would it?

If I'm thinking of the right data... all the Brawl characters had small amounts of data right...?
Time constraints is a very possible explanation, though Sakurai did say he didn't want the # of characters in check (I think we still ended up with more than he initially intended, lol). Copying data straight across from Brawl could be another.

Edit: On a different note, any advice for Shulk vs. ROB? I've only ever played two ROBs and ergh. Lasers, gyro, down-Smash. One beat me cleanly, the other ROB I got lucky; I was edgeguarding on the last stock and he recovered just low enough to run out of up-B fuel before hitting the ledge.
I know your pain, hate the ROB match up. Gives me trouble with most of my mains, havent tried ZSS yet though/

If I'm thinking of the right data... all the Brawl characters had small amounts of data right...?
Time constraints is a very possible explanation, though Sakurai did say he didn't want the # of characters in check (I think we still ended up with more than he initially intended, lol). Copying data straight across from Brawl could be another.

Edit: On a different note, any advice for Shulk vs. ROB? I've only ever played two ROBs and ergh. Lasers, gyro, down-Smash. One beat me cleanly, the other ROB I got lucky; I was edgeguarding on the last stock and he recovered just low enough to run out of up-B fuel before hitting the ledge.
http://smashboards.com/threads/shulk-vs-r-o-b-matchup.384697/

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Beat you to it :p
Lol, i know the feeling. PERsonally, i can deal with CF fine with just Shulk or ZSS, they're good against them. Also, that tourney wouldnt' happen to be the Starmen.net tourney would it?

I know your pain, hate the ROB match up. Gives me trouble with most of my mains, havent tried ZSS yet though/
It's events2compete's tourny.

RegularFriend

Smash Rookie
Hey has anyone tested the length of shulk's speed form perfect pivot. I know that in normal form he has a average one so I'm thinking that in speed form with his added slipperiness it'll probably be ridiculous. If not, I'm down to test it just want to same some time if possible.

Hey has anyone tested the length of shulk's speed form perfect pivot. I know that in normal form he has a average one so I'm thinking that in speed form with his added slipperiness it'll probably be ridiculous. If not, I'm down to test it just want to same some time if possible.
PP distance in vanilla/buster/smash/jump is at 4
PP distance in speed is at 7 (The highest)
PP distance in shield is at 2

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I don't know what to do anymore guys. I've hit a brick wall. The Sheiks, Diddys, and various other good characters around here have finally learned the match-up and now I'm losing to people who I've never lost to in another Smash game. It's mind numbingly frustrated to not know what I can do to improve and outplay the good characters in this game. I think Shulk is probably the most overrated character in this game.

If anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear, but I am thinking really hard about switching characters. I don't think Shulk is good enough in this game, and this is coming from someone ranked in state for Melee and Brawl with Roy and Ike.

Save me.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
So there was that "Awesome Games Played Quick" speedrunning thing for charity this week, and it got me thinking... How long would a Xenoblade speedrun take? I think at least 24 hours...

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So there was that "Awesome Games Played Quick" speedrunning thing for charity this week, and it got me thinking... How long would a Xenoblade speedrun take? I think at least 24 hours...
Certainly over 24 hours. I did consider doing this, I'm just not able to stream and even if I did, I don't have any friends living nearby who would join and make things less boring.
You'd need to consider things like which enemies drop the most EXP quickest in each area, EXP granted by discovering locations. Maybe you could Topple-spam some high-levelled things (or punt them off cliffs) and get a huge EXP boost early on, armour/weapon drops, probably want some speed(?) gems to improve the character's running speed ASAP.

I don't know what to do anymore guys. I've hit a brick wall. The Sheiks, Diddys, and various other good characters around here have finally learned the match-up and now I'm losing to people who I've never lost to in another Smash game. It's mind numbingly frustrated to not know what I can do to improve and outplay the good characters in this game. I think Shulk is probably the most overrated character in this game.

If anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear, but I am thinking really hard about switching characters. I don't think Shulk is good enough in this game, and this is coming from someone ranked in state for Melee and Brawl with Roy and Ike.

Save me.
If you still want to remain with Shulk, you have to know that there are those characters who he has difficulty against so countering that certain character with another character (not Shulk) is a good idea. Having another character to back up Shulk usually really helps. I do think it is possible to get through and win a local tournament with Shulk alone but like I said, be ready to outplay the top tiers. If you're not for that life, then do what I (and a lot of Shulks) did and get another character that you prefer using against a certain character

If you don't want to pick up a secondary/back up, I guess your only option is to watch your matches and see what you've done wrong. Losing anyway is something that happens and as frustrating as it is, it does help in improving you.

If all else fails and you're really not feeling it anymore, just switch. There's no problem with switching if it's for the best. Back in Brawl, I used to main Link but he wasn't good at all. I switched to Snake and won more and I didn't look back

Good luck, and do what you think will benefit ya

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

Save me.
The best I thing I can say have try playing defense? You will be a lot better if you bait them to attack you first and then attack them, and start off with speed for fast characters to keep them on their toes, I find it a lot easier to punish characters than to go up a attack them face forward, it like you have to play mind games when you'er playing as Shulk.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I regret posting that on the morning after because it was fueled by frustration and salt at losing and a large number of people telling me I can do it without having any input on telling me how.

I don't actually expect people to be able to give me decent feedback based on that.

I regret posting that on the morning after because it was fueled by frustration and salt at losing and a large number of people telling me I can do it without having any input on telling me how.

I don't actually expect people to be able to give me decent feedback based on that.
Oh, it's fine.

I do remember. I got bodied by a Ganondorf because of a bunch of hard reads. I didn't remain loyal to the "tech the knockdown of flame choke" trick and got destroyed and 2-stocked, 2-0'd. After doing so well, this all happened then I was really salty and I even vented it out in the Zelda boards >_>

Then again, it helps that singles started at 2 am and doubles went first. I'm against that arrangement btw. PLEASE START WITH SINGLES.

Edit: I was kicked to Loser's finals then I forfeited because I was tired at that point

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
The world record for a Xenoblade Chronicles speedrun is about under 4 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6vFle3idk
New Game+ though with Lv.99 characters, all you really need to do is run from place to place. Impressive, but I think with Lv.99 characters I think I could match that fairly easily.

Correction: There's no reason to use Dark Pit over Pit
I could probably just read one of their threads to be sure, but to remind myself, the only difference is sensitivity when angling arrows, DP has a stronger(?) arm with different launch angle, and Final Smash, right?

I could probably just read one of their threads to be sure, but to remind myself, the only difference is sensitivity when angling arrows, DP has a stronger(?) arm with different launch angle, and Final Smash, right?
Final Smash is not really something to note about (It's also shamelessly ripped from Zelda's final smash)

Vertical KO power is more preferable horizontal KO power, even with the 0.5% damage difference

Also, Pit's arrows >> DPit's arrows

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93

Save me.
:link:
I do agree in your belief that Shulk is overrated. . . And I'm not entirely sure as to why he is (though I still believe he can manage when played soundly). Regardless, though, I still choose to use him, just because I genuinely love how he plays / the game he is from. I suppose it is fortunate for me that before SSBIV had released, I decided for my mains to be Shulk and Sheik, so I always can fall back on my girl if need be (though I generally prefer to only choose one or the other for personal reasons). I mean, you just need superior reads and spacing with Shulk. . . At high-level play (which, like myself, you seem to have experience in), I think the best (and perhaps only) way to look at Shulk is to outplay the actual player you are playing against (spacing and reads, to be specific). Knowing the character match-up is critical too, of course, but. . . That's how l perceive it, anyway.

Last edited:
But what if you wanted to be a 13 year old edge lord?
Have fun~

I don't think Shulk's top 10 (and I don't know why some perceive him at that position). Maybe he sounds good in theory, but playing him in general is really difficult especially if you waste art usage (another way of saying, you're taking more damage than dealing damage). Solo'ing a tournament and winning with Shulk would require you to outplay some top tiers like Sheik and Diddy which is hard and intimidating but not impossible. It's a lot easier to win with Shulk if you have back up. I only see a character as top 10 if I can breeze through the tournament with that character alone (Snake in Brawl). I don't think Shulk is bad, and he's really far from even being considered as a bad character in comparison to the cast BUT he's not top tier (Mid tier at worst, Mid portion of high tier at best imo). Maybe in the near distant future, Shulk players will learn how to not get hit with buster and jump even though that's ridiculous as ****, but whatever. That's my stance for now.

Edit: There's also the wind up on his attacks AND the lag. Doesn't smell like top 10, but anyway he's not bad by all means

Also, I have a new plan. I usually start with buster now at the start to test my luck. If it works and I manage to rack up damage from 0-90% out of no where, I'll keep starting with buster. If it back fires or I don't get that much, I'll stick to speed->buster until I feel like pulling out buster again at the start of a match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think that Shulk is bottom tier, but he isn't top tier by any means. Maybe mid tier.
While Shulk has Monado Arts to help him in various situations, they don't make him more versatile. He still has a very mediocre recovery, his attacks have some end-lag, and some of his attacks can easily be shielded. I think that it was nice that he received damage buffs, but they don't fix the core of his problems. I think that for Shulk to be top tier, his attacks need to come out faster, have less end-lag, have more air mobility and control (that would have saved me a few deaths), fix the animations on some of his attacks because they can whiff, and perhaps have faster run speed.
I am maining Shulk for simple reasons; I love Xenoblade, I love Shulk as a character, he was my most wanted character during speculation. As a result, he clicked with me very quickly and I was starting to do well as him. However, I think I might need a third main to take care of the Shieks and Diddy Kongs... I dunno if Luigi will be the best character against them.

But what if you wanted to be a 13 year old edge lord?
Play Marth since his sword is the most powerful at the tip of the edge.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Correction: There's no reason to use Dark Pit over Pit
But dark.

Dark > Light

Oh and I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles recently. Great game as you all know. I thought it leaves high notes towards a sequel.
Maybe Shulk really is a god now.

Last edited:
Dunban's just chilling

Regarding FF XV, what's with the costume design? Like, they're all black and stylish. I'm excited for the game despite Square Enix being stupid, but it still bothers me a bit

I'm still at a loss with the gameplay. I have no idea how the gameplay works until now.... I think someone replied to me about this but my memory is a mess

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Regarding FF XV, what's with the costume design? Like, they're all black and stylish. I'm excited for the game despite Square Enix being stupid, but it still bothers me a bit
Isn't everyone working together in the same mob family or something? I guess black and stylish is what they go for there.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Alright, I kinda missed the tiers talk but this is something I feel strongly about so, if you like a character but you're not doing that well with them or they just aren't that good, don't give up. If you want to be good, no matter with who, just be determined. I mained Zelda in Melee, Brawl, and I still do in this game. Let me tell you, her moveset design is like practically picked out of a dumpster and forced onto her. She might be better in this game, but she still isn't very good. You can't pity yourself about your character being bad, you just have to work harder to outplay the other player and get into their mind regardless of who you play. Lower tier = more risky to play, simple as that. If you like Shulk but you're having problems against top tiers, just try to learn the matchup more and be more careful. There's no way I'm dropping Shulk or Zelda just because they suck against Sheik, Diddy, etc. Just work around the impossible.

tldr; If you like a character, use them. Skill is what's going to prevail.

I'm still at a loss with the gameplay. I have no idea how the gameplay works until now.... I think someone replied to me about this but my memory is a mess
I think the gameplay isn't an RPG anymore and it's closer to a hack and slash like Bayo or MGS Rising. lol inb4 it's another final fantasy xiii

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Guys, guys... why should anyone play dark pit, when they can have boob suit samus.
Or even Shiek, HE'S a pretty good ninja and all. And charizard. Man.

Don't forget ganon is in here too, the Lord of DARKNESS.
And we all know, when Snake returns in DLC, he'll be the favourite beside dark-Sanic and MetaKNIGHT.

... I feel a little sad now.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Frankly I don't find Sheik and Diddy to be that obnoxious.

To be honest if people are having problems with those, then I fear for those that will branch out to more traditional fighting games quickly realizing there are far more disgusting things out there.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

To be honest if people are having problems with those, then I fear for those that will branch out to more traditional fighting games quickly realizing there are far more disgusting things out there.
Always depends on your oponents level of skill, and your own.
I just hate diddy.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
But dark.

Dark > Light

Oh and I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles recently. Great game as you all know. I thought it leaves high notes towards a sequel. Maybe Shulk ****** ** * *** now.
You might wanna put that last part in spoilers, lol.

Alright, I kinda missed the tiers talk but this is something I feel strongly about so, if you like a character but you're not doing that well with them or they just aren't that good, don't give up. If you want to be good, no matter with who, just be determined. I mained Zelda in Melee, Brawl, and I still do in this game. Let me tell you, her moveset design is like practically picked out of a dumpster and forced onto her. She might be better in this game, but she still isn't very good. You can't pity yourself about your character being bad, you just have to work harder to outplay the other player and get into their mind regardless of who you play. Lower tier = more risky to play, simple as that. If you like Shulk but you're having problems against top tiers, just try to learn the matchup more and be more careful. There's no way I'm dropping Shulk or Zelda just because they suck against Sheik, Diddy, etc. Just work around the impossible.

tldr; If you like a character, use them. Skill is what's going to prevail.

I think the gameplay isn't an RPG anymore and it's closer to a hack and slash like Bayo or MGS Rising. lol inb4 it's another final fantasy xiii
The gameplay's basically a mash up genre known as an Action RPG. Another good example of this would be KIngdom Hearts for anyone who's heard of it.

I hate Diddy more than SHeik as banana makes it hard for me to get in IMO.

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

It's a matter of context. Zero is unfair, but then again, so is almost all of Marvel (to use a common example). Guilty Gear has plenty of characters who are absolutely disgusting, but the loops Elephet is capable of are comparable to complaints about Diddy and Sheik.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
The gameplay's basically a mash up genre known as an Action RPG. Another good example of this would be KIngdom Hearts for anyone who's heard of it.
Considering that Tetsuya Nomura (the creator of Kingdom Hearts) is directing the game, I'd expect the combat to be very similar to KH.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Tetsuya Nomura (the creator of Kingdom Hearts) is directing the game, I'd expect the combat to be very similar to KH.
That would be a pretty cool approach for FF. Kingdom Hearts had some really solid combat mechanics, and I think that Nomura could translate it over to FF well.

Top Bottom