• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
By instant counter, you mean this right?

As SOON as you're hit, don't delay at all, press forward. So for example
:GCD::GCB: >Get hit by move< and IMMEDIATELY press forward
Or, if it helps you better to think of it this way, as soon as your hit and you see the blue aura around Monado Boy press forward.
Ohhhhhh, so it's not just timing it right, it's a button input. No wonder i could never get it.

"Timing is everything! Remember that!"
It's actually a great analogy you've got there.

Whenever I try it I hold forward as soon as I press down-B. If I get hit, I do the quick one. If I don't, not like it matters. I guess easier said than done, you don't have a lot of time to think in the heat of the moment.
Right, but at least with the forward one, you're more likely to hit if you're in the air, or just in general, since if the enemy's too close and you counter, the normal counter can easily go past and leave you open. Plus, i've heard the forward counter does a bit more damage/knockback than the normal one.

I tested the vision damage between the instant one and the normal one, the instant one made 13% damage meanwhile the normal made 10%, just and interesting fact.

Also I'm not so sure bit I think that the normal one have more knockback than the instant one, also the angles that the enemy goes after he's hit is different. The instant one sends him to your back and the normal one sends him in front of you. Some interesting facts.
Yeah, i definitely prefer the Instant one, it looks more useful and easier to hit with to me.

I'm not sure if you guys ever tried this, but believe it or not fsmash is actually a really good punish for laggy moves that hit on your shield. A Pit fsmashed on my shield and as the attack ended I fsmashed him and he had no time to react. Just something interesting I guess if you want to test it out
Yeah, it's pretty good. It's also good against people with Shorter ranged Counters(A.K.A. The Fire Emblem chars. and Mii Sword Fighter) if you're good with spacing. I've managed to use it from as far away as i can hit with it on people, when those people counter, they counter the first hit, but get hit when the Monado's beam extends out, and it's great. It's decently fast for a punish too.

Once a friend showed me a Xenoblade drink game that the main rule was take a drink every time someone says "The Monado". Also you can add a shot when Reyn says "It's Reyn time". That's a drink game that I would never do, I won't be making even to the Tephra Cave.
You just gave me a great idea for what to put as my taunt lines when i'm using Shulk. It's time for Shulk's time. :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So, I was shulk the other day and I got grab released to my death and I could not up B and I was not in free fall animation. Um what happened? Is there a grab release on shulk after he up bs or something? It was similar to grabbing snake out of his cypher thing. I didn't realize those were in this game as well. <_<

I hope it was just a mess up on my part or something, because that would be sad if people could grab release shulk to his death.
:(

RIP Bronado Bae </3
Did you have a monado art selection out? You cannot up-b while choosing an art, which would be my guess at what happened.

Right, but at least with the forward one, you're more likely to hit if you're in the air, or just in general, since if the enemy's too close and you counter, the normal counter can easily go past and leave you open. Plus, i've heard the forward counter does a bit more damage/knockback than the normal one.

Yeah, i definitely prefer the Instant one, it looks more useful and easier to hit with to me.
Hold your horses

You can't use that variation of counter in mid-air

Another reminder, I feel like it's a 60/40 hit or miss with counter against air borne opopnents so watch out

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I've practised instantcounter all day... phew. It's really just hadouken. Difficult at first to getting used to it, but it's now okay. Also, I've a 49/67!
*proud*

Whoa. What the hell? Palutena's invincible for a while when using her fireworks?

Damn. No wonder none of my hits were registering. Time to use speed then

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Whoa. What the hell? Palutena's invincible for a while when using her fireworks?

Wait what? Holy... That's quite nice to know! (I don't play with custom moves, but that's still pretty dang good!)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So, which match-ups do you people have the most problems with as Shulk? I personally can't stand projectile characters and Lil Mac, but that could have to do with online tactics I guess.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's mainly Sonic and Mac I have problems with.

I don't have problems with projectile users since in some scenarios I can simply break the attack using the neutral aerial or forward aerial or abuse Speed to go #yolo on their ass.

Opposite here. Rush downs are fine for me. Heavies are fine

Projectile ***** like Pacman and DHD. Oh and Rosalina to a lesser extent

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I played some amazing Megaman the other day and I just couldn't win at all. I normally am perfectly fine with projectile characters but Megaman.. super fighting robot y do u do this 2 us
It's ok though because I just destroyed him with Robin :4robinm:
Even though Robin works good for this matchup, could you guys please offer some advice on Shulk vs. Megaman?

I played some amazing Megaman the other day and I just couldn't win at all. I normally am perfectly fine with projectile characters but Megaman.. super fighting robot y do u do this 2 us
It's ok though because I just destroyed him with Robin :4robinm:
Even though Robin works good for this matchup, could you guys please offer some advice on Shulk vs. Megaman?
Nair. Jump. Speed

:3

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Does anyone know if Vision has that new property which lets moves ignore shield? I've visioned through a shield twice now. Seems like that'd be important to know in teams.

Yup. It's cause that's what it did in Uprising. It could be used to dodge and deal damage at the same time. Kind of a trolly counter. On the subject of Palutena, you can't counter her dash attack with the normal counter, cause he little shield blocks the attack. The instant one might work though.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Rosaluma & Lucario are mad annoying

Rosaluma. What an annoying PoS character.
I didn't have a problem against rosaluma... but okay, it's the main of my best friend. I'm kinda used to it by now.
Vision is Godlike against her, since even her luma can trigger it. But most of the time, a good placed Nair and the buster art helps. Because you can't really kill her easily, since her recovery is insane... smashing her upwards would be the best bet.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Just a word of advice to you guys having trouble with Rosalina, I use Rosalina sometimes and I've played against lots of good ones: at the start of the match activate Jump. That might sound strange, but at low percents she can do some craaaaazy uthrow > utilt > uair almost guaranteed combos. Since Shulk isn't a floaty character, he can be juggled easily and Rosalina can effortlessly get 40-50% on you, so I'd reccomend Jump to get out of this or maybe Speed to avoid her grab completely. Also, watch out for dthrow > fair

Instant vision her Luma when it's near her to KO Luma and hit Rosalina. Something else I've been doing is back slashing over her Luma when she sends it out to avoid it and hit her. Also, try using speed + nair a lot as she has no decent way to really respond. Just my advice when I play against her/her weaknesses when I use her, but do what works for you to launch that space princess back into the galaxy
she came from.
:rosalina:: We're blasting off again!!

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
The Luma is also suuuper easy to get rid off. It suffers any kind of knockback and it's not gonna recover unless it hits the ground, which means once you send it off stage in any way Rosalina's gonna be all by herself.

Also this happened last night

Shulk doesn't like Luma.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
They just announced one of the songs on the Wii U soundtrack is a Xenoblade medley. http://club2.nintendo.com/smash-promo/
I called this. Well... actually... I think I toyed around with the idea before Smash came out and then abandoned it thinking all we would have is Gaur Plains electric guitar remix for an arrangement. I guess that isn't really calling it then [/hindsight bias]

I can't wait for that medley!! I wonder what will be in it.
-
want to face some other shulk players here, maybe I can pick up a few things after facing y'all. I'll be using pit, sonic, and link startnig out though, after that I'll go shulk.

reason being is I'm sadly still not very good at all with shulk :/ so i feel i'll be a bigger challenge with those three while picking up anything from your own shulks.

sonic feels closer to his brawl incarnation than anyone else IMO, so he's been easy to adjust to despite not being my main in brawl(still used him a lot though) pit was my main in brawl and while its taken some time to get used to his changes i've adjusted. LInk its just cuz I liked playing him in all smash games.

anyhow here is my FC. 5413-0059-5559
I added you

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I smile at my dash attack and pivolt ftilt kos.
I dash attack very little often opting for the N-air, so when I do dash attack home boy is fresher then a newborn.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I vision countered a fully charged Ness PK Flash on For Glory yesterday. It dealt over 70% and OHKO'd him (in Buster mode).

Felt daaaaaaaaamn good.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Going better then it was, I still can't do anything very complicated but I'm a least having less fights where I have no control over the situation resulting in less continual losses.

Shabadoobie

Smash Rookie
So any other Shulk's have a problem fighting Pac-Man? I just can't get him to stay in range. I find Pac-Men always running away and pelting me with keys.

So any other Shulk's have a problem fighting Pac-Man? I just can't get him to stay in range. I find Pac-Men always running away and pelting me with keys.
Just tried out buster against Pacman. It works better than speed for me imo.

F-tilt hydrant. Counter forward B or dash attack. N-air. Tilts. Power shield. Jump art

I can relate to you very well. At first, Pacman was really annoying but I decided to switch up my tactics

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I was playing Smash with friends last night and I had a best of three with a friend using out mains. Shulk for me, Ganondorf for him. Second game he's destroying me. I'm at one stock, he's at three. Somehow I get him down to one stock but I'm at 120% and he's at 5%. Getting intense. Finally he's about to hit me with the warlock punch but last minute I hit an instant counter and he flies of the screen. My friend has a look of shock on his face, I instantly jumped off the couch and did a victory lap around the house shouting Shulk's taunts. That felt so good. Shulk may not end up being the best in this game, but I feel like once I get my hands on a gamecube controller (hard to do AT with Shulk on the 3DS since I don't want to break the circle pad) Shulk will be really good. More than people think at the moment.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Lately I've been trying to pull off backslashes out of upthrow, since they end up relatively close to me and the throw gives me some control over the direction they face. I've landed it a few times but never at high enough % for it to matter though. I'd probably land it more if my timing and reads weren't complete garbage though.

Also I tested Vision with some friends, and it definitely ignores peoples shields. Goes right through them if they manage to get it up.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
A lot of my buddies play pax man so it's honestly my most experienced MU. You need to know when is the right time for the right form cuz they all have a place in this MU.

Low % you want to stick with jump to approach campy pacs. Speed can also work but I don't like the decrease in smg compared to jump and I feel like jump is just more versatile.

If I'm losing early I'll switch to buster and try and bring it back, the downside of buster is minimized as the increase damage often means it's harder for characters to link into any kill moves.

If I'm winning early I like to stay neutral until 100~105 when smash kill options start opening up (notably air slash depending on your distance from the side your sending them).

If I get first blood I'll alternate between defense and jump. Pretty much play FOOTSIES with defense and use jump to counter PAC man when he tries to camp for keys and hydrants.

If I lose first stock I basically always go defense until they get to smash kill%.

Controlled use of buster is key, spamming it leaves you open to a lot of residual damage. Use it when you know you can keep him locked down with your air control, generally when you're pressuring him towards the ledge. His recovery can be pretty hard to edgeguard I've found as his side b tends to go through vision in my experience, so you have to catch him out with a well spaced fair or air slash. I've found jump the best when you send him deep offstage to force an immediate reaction and not let him drift too much, because PAC kind of has to start a side b and if you break the chain before he releases too early he won't get much horizontal distance, and his up bus rather easy to deal with when he's far offstage.

The rest is up to you to develop good spacing and fundamentals with your normals. Oh, and another random thing you can use backslash to jump over some of his items, and I THINK but not sure that the fire hydrant actually has a back and a front cuz I've noticed sometimes backslash will immediately knock a fresh hydrant and sometimes not. Could be dependent on a lot of things though, idk

Last edited:
I THINK but not sure that the fire hydrant actually has a back and a front cuz I've noticed sometimes backslash will immediately knock a fresh hydrant and sometimes not. Could be dependent on a lot of things though, idk
Tested it. Not sure when fire hydrants had backs but in this game, they do. Just to clarify, it depends where Pac is facing. If he faced right when using the hydrant, you have to go for the left

Oh and an up close (base) vanilla f-tilt instantly destroys it.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Attention! I'm gonna write my "progress" since I first started, so maybe a lot of you newcomers can relate with me.
... maybe I'm going to make it into an own thread, if it's actually helpfull.

Day -1:
I played it a day earlier, since Germany had an holiday on the 3rd. So Austria benefits from that too.
I played around with him, and was absolutely destroyed. It was very discouraging, I barely used the monado arts, spammed dash attacks and DSmashes. I went to Robin Link Palutena and Weegee to play with at first.

Day 1:
All of my Friends have begun playing it, we did so many smash runs, and I mostly just unlocked things for shulk. So I tried him again, and trained with him a little, and discovered his insane nair, and noticed that I played too singleminded. Also, vision was a thing, and the monado arts helped a lot in smash runs.

Day 2:
I began to play a bit more with my Friends, and noticed the benefits of the monado arts against players that counter a lot, or are just to freaking fast. I was bold enough to grab anyone who tried to charge up a smash attack.
Nair made my match-up against roalina also more pleasant, as it was the favourite Character of my best friend.

Day 3:
I knew there was some input laag, since barely a vision happened while trying to do it in the air. I was being juggled like a ball, but backslash often helped me out with that. Then experienced my first few self destruts because of that... Q.Q
A few Bowsers made me realize that Instantcounter was a thing.

Day 4:
I noticed, that I rolled to much, and everytime I tried to "punish" someone, I was punished instead.
I tried at first to instant smash counter, but it rarely happened.
I learned that I had to stay in shield sometimes, instead to just roll away, so I had a much easier time to punish people. Also, I'm not that good with the perfect timing of this "white" moment. But atleast I can use it in the air pretty good now.
Also, grab + speed is too good.

Day 5:
I hate falco so much. Stupid fast projectile spammer. Nair shall punish you all!
Also, I really like vision, I probably using it too much. dtilt is my favourite thing to do against these "rolling stones" characters. Also, standard jab combo is important too, since it's very fast... never ever try to win with only smash moves. Buster + tilt moves or jab combos are pretty helpfull too. Don't forget the grab!

Day 6:
I Succeeded in 8.0 Classic mode with default shulk, but I can't beat 9.0. These swords are just insane.
The positive thing about that, I manage to come to master hand with ease, even hard more in allstars isn't really a challange anymore. I guess I'm a little bit trained now!

Day 7:
I guess I'm getting good. Stupid Ninjafrogs tries to counter you? Grab him! He dash attacks you, while you just tried the same, but he rolled aside, and you can't stop? Try just to shield, and then ftil or dtilt him back, punish him!
I really appreaciate all the monado arts except shield now. I never really got into shield, it's clunky to play, and just wants you to be thrown around.

I was playing Smash with friends last night and I had a best of three with a friend using out mains. Shulk for me, Ganondorf for him. Second game he's destroying me. I'm at one stock, he's at three. Somehow I get him down to one stock but I'm at 120% and he's at 5%. Getting intense. Finally he's about to hit me with the warlock punch but last minute I hit an instant counter and he flies of the screen. My friend has a look of shock on his face, I instantly jumped off the couch and did a victory lap around the house shouting Shulk's taunts. That felt so good. Shulk may not end up being the best in this game, but I feel like once I get my hands on a gamecube controller (hard to do AT with Shulk on the 3DS since I don't want to break the circle pad) Shulk will be really good. More than people think at the moment.
God, I love you know. Shouting "I'm really feeling it" around would be such a relief for my soul, gotta try that too.

Last edited:
Something about Sheik: Shield sucks against her. Ironically at high %. You're still combo-able and you're easier to gimp (Bouncing fish will still destroy you in shield). You're better off "stock tanking" with jump or speed. Hell, I just resulted to using buster anyway for no rational reason

Oh, and any art is alright against her. Mostly, jump.

Shabadoobie

Smash Rookie
Oh and an up close (base) vanilla f-tilt instantly destroys it.
Yeah, I've been using base f-tilt to take out Hydrants.

God, I love you know. Shouting "I'm really feeling it" around would be such a relief for my soul, gotta try that too.
Its such wonderful catharsis, I used to have problems against Little Macs, but ever since I've started to have a bit of consistency in beating them, I've been really feeling it.

Shog

Smash Ace
So I found out what the equipment "smooth landing" in German is...and holy bananas, shulk is a indestructible behemoth with. FAir and BackAir have like no ending lag at all and you can combo with UpAir easily. And the best thing: The equipment doesn't change the air dodge lag for whatever reason(maybe they knew lagless air dodge would be broken?). If you get this equipment, try it out, it is fun as heck. I got one for the shoes, so that Dr. Mario F Air is lagless lol. I try out other characters which can wear it. But Shulk is definitely waaay to good lagless. Just another reason why Equips must be banned but are hilariously fun!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So I found out what the equipment "smooth landing" in German is...and holy bananas, shulk is a indestructible behemoth with. FAir and BackAir have like no ending lag at all and you can combo with UpAir easily. And the best thing: The equipment doesn't change the air dodge lag for whatever reason(maybe they knew lagless air dodge would be broken?). If you get this equipment, try it out, it is fun as heck. I got one for the shoes, so that Dr. Mario F Air is lagless lol. I try out other characters which can wear it. But Shulk is definitely waaay to good lagless. Just another reason why Equips must be banned but are hilariously fun!
Now I wanna know what it's called in german since... yeah. Guess.

Life

Smash Hero
So I got destroyed by a Robin at our weekly last night. Just got zoned really hard, and Levin Sword punishes very hard. Thoughts on that matchup? I didn't think to save the replay, but at a guess I'd have to say I needed to use the first two arts more and bait out Arcfires until he gets uncomfortable using it.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So I got destroyed by a Robin at our weekly last night. Just got zoned really hard, and Levin Sword punishes very hard. Thoughts on that matchup? I didn't think to save the replay, but at a guess I'd have to say I needed to use the first two arts more and bait out Arcfires until he gets uncomfortable using it.
Robin has a huge weakness. And that's he can't spamm. Counter is also very useful, and your utilt should be very good against his aerials. Also, nair interrupts most of his things, just try to learn in what path arkfire get's shot.

Top Bottom