• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
My current win percentage is a little over 80% at the moment out of over 1100 games on For Glory 1v1. I mainly play Shulk but I have a good handful of characters that I'm using at the moment, namely Little Mac, Pit, Falco and Greninja with the very occasional bit of Falcon and Olimar.

It could probably be higher, but often when I stumble into a really good player I'll face them over and over again (a good 15-20 times) and lose most of them for the sake of match-up experience.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I feel I am getting better with 8/10 on my last 10 and like 9 of those 10 were as Shulk.I can't wait for c stick to do retreating fairs on people.

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
I feel I am getting better with 8/10 on my last 10 and like 9 of those 10 were as Shulk.I can't wait for c stick to do retreating fairs on people.
Oh god yes. C-Stick will be SO useful.

How many Shulks do you guys see online other than yourself? I haven't seen any since release...

How many Shulks do you guys see online other than yourself? I haven't seen any since release...
3 out of 36 matches

Seriously though, Shulk without a c-stick may turn off some players. Not surprised. Actually, his slow attacks may be the turn off but whatever. He's fun. Complicated. That's what we were expecting anyway

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I just noticed something about decisive arts.

Every buff gets multiplied slightly

but every debuff is not touched
I want to say every Art gets a +10% increase compared to the original.

Edit: Actually, it a combination of attributes either increasing or decreasing by 10% depending on the Monado Art. For example Speed reduces damage by 10%, but in exchange you move slightly faster.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
i only use decisive for smash run.

You know there's a feature in spectate mode where you can select a specific fighter to view for glory replays of. That would be good for the people I see looking to mimic the skill of other players.

I decided to compare the damage of decisive speed and default speed

This is all DMarts speed numbers

Neutral combo (2-2-3)
F-tilt (8-Base/7-tip)
U-tilt (5-base/4-tip)
D-tilt (5-base/4-tip)
F-smash (9/3)
U-smash (2/9)
D-smash (FIrst hit 9)
N-air (4-Blade/5-Base)
F-air (4-blade/3-beam)
U-air (3/6)
D-air (4/7)
F-special (Front) (6-tip/7-base)
F-special (Back) (10-back/11-base)
U-special (4/3)

Default u-air does (3/6) and u-smash does (2/9) btw. D-tilt default speed does 4 on tip and 5 base.

Seems to be all the same

Correct me if I wrong (Tested it but I may have missed something)

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually, I think the calculations for Decisive Monado Arts work differently then I thought. Originally I thought it was a simple increase/decrease by 10% for the original value, like Speed now reducing damage by 30% instead of 20% like it normally does. However, I noticed that the theory is inconsistent based on my research.

A basic example is the dash attack does 10% damage, which in mathmatics can translate to 100% or 1.00. When I activate Smash using Monado Arts the damage modifications recieve a 50% or .50 reduction, meaning now the dash attack does 5% damage. Based on my first theory, I presumed that it would be a 60% or 0.60 reduction with Decisive Monado Arts, meaning the dash attack would inflict 4%. However, it still inflicts 5%, and I do know it's some sort of modification because Speed with that custom does 7% instead of 8% with that dash attack.

My new theory is that the custom uses the original values of Monado Arts, but addionally adds an 10%-15% increase or decrease on top of it, meaning Smash caluculations are 50% + 10% = 55% instead of 60% like expected, which would explain why some values changed while others didn't.

Also, it's starting to make me think that Speed reduces damage by 25% instead of 20% like I originally estimated.

Edit: Turns out I made a fluke, the dash attacks regardless of either version does 7%, which is weird because I did remember it doing 8%. This means that the "more powerful arts" thing may be false advertisement. However it does help support the part about it being a 25% reduction instead of 20%.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336

Only a few one destroyed me it was insane.He monado air lag cancelled everything with perfect spacing and knew what to do with whatever art I had...

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I think the discussion over damage and stuff more belongs in this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/this...shulk-movelisting-metagame-discussion.369285/
There's a lot of juicy info there that any Shulk player could use to his advantage :3. They discuss the effects of the monado arts too.

Oh yeah! I just remembered that I forgot to upload the glitch where I go inside an ether crystal.
Just... wow. This thread is a "liiiittle" heavy. Gotta read it when I'm going to sleep.

Only a few one destroyed me it was insane.He monado air lag cancelled everything with perfect spacing and knew what to do with whatever art I had...
That's harsh. I wish I could make such predictings, but I'm too instinctive driven for that.

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah! I just remembered that I forgot to upload the glitch where I go inside an ether crystal.
In Xenoblade Chronicles? The physics are really glitchy sometimes. Go to the Great Battle Scar in Mechonis Field... It's a really steep ramp that you can jump up like 50 metres per jump. I might try and get it on video if I can.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The ice on Valak mountain is pure, 100% genuine physics :upsidedown:
I need to turn that final Xenoblade suicide in my top 10 Xenoblade suicides video into a gif...

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
The ice on Valak mountain is pure, 100% genuine physics :upsidedown:
I need to turn that final Xenoblade suicide in my top 10 Xenoblade suicides video into a gif...
As a massive Xenoblade fan, I need to see your channel. Can you link me please? :)

I took a look at your profile and you work on a Shulk PSA? Which one was that; the original one with Eater as side-B or the one with Monado Buster?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I got questions...How good is Xenoblade?How long does it last?What rpgs would you compare it to?

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
I got questions...How good is Xenoblade?How long does it last?What rpgs would you compare it to?
1. Outstanding. Awesome story, great music, one of the best worlds ever designed... the gameplay is love-it-or-hate-it but I personally love it. One of my favourite parts of the game, actually, is the British English voice acting. It's REALLY well done.

2. One of the longest JRPGs ever made. 60-80 hours for a story-centric playthrough, and easily hundreds of hours if you want to do all/most of the sidequests. If you want to do absolutely everything and collect every item... gosh, you might even break 1,000.

3. The battle system is a little like Final Fantasy XII in that you see enemies on the overworld and you can walk straight up and fight them, but most of the similarities end there. It does a lot of things differently (such as having fast travel to anywhere you've been available 95% of the time) so there aren't many comparisons.

To sum it up, I guess I could say it's like a single-player MMO, taking only the good things from the MMORPG genre. It doesn't have the limitations that most MMOs have because they're multiplayer.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
The story of Xenoblade is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Easily the best out of any game I've ever played. It makes you cry, the plot twists make you just stare at the tv screen with your mouth open for 10 minutes straight, and you really become attached to all the characters. I only bought this game cuz I heard some good things, but I never expected it to become my favorite game of all time and I'm so excited for Xenoblade Chronicles X. To me, it's a perfect 10/10, and if you can find it give it a try. It's completely worth it.

Last edited:

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Yes. The plot twists never end after a certain point in the game... The final cutscene with the oh-so-perfect ending theme helped cement its place as my favourite game of all time...

(Spoilers in the comments of that link BTW)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Yo How do you guys feel about Kirby. Kirby with monado is so annoying to fight like anbdnsjfuwjqbwkodq

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Monado Kirby is evil!He stole my best move!I think I would like Xenoblade since people are liking its story and has a lot of content but I like turn based combat so idk.I'll watch some gameplay first.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Nope, the modifiers are slightly stronger. Speed definitely has a shorter jump.
This is something I would have liked to know earlier

raggggeeeee

My current win percentage is a little over 80% at the moment out of over 1100 games on For Glory 1v1. I mainly play Shulk but I have a good handful of characters that I'm using at the moment, namely Little Mac, Pit, Falco and Greninja with the very occasional bit of Falcon and Olimar.

It could probably be higher, but often when I stumble into a really good player I'll face them over and over again (a good 15-20 times) and lose most of them for the sake of match-up experience.
ur basically me

except i use bowser in for glory

ALSO GUYS

SHULK IS WORKING VS LITTLE MAC

YOU GOT A KO PUNCH? LOL SHIELD

LOL I GOT HIT AT 60% AND DIDNT DIE BECAUSE SHIELD IS ~BALANCED~

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman

raggggeeeee

ur basically me

ALSO GUYS

Imagine if visions were possible on that attack, guaranteed K.O.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I havent fought a good Kirby yet, but I did just fight one and found out the two hits of fsmash don't link together very well against him.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I dunno if it's just because I've been fighting bad R.O.B.s, but Shulk seems to have an advantage on R.O.B..

Looks like the Monado is still particularly effective against Mechon.

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

raggggeeeee

ur basically me

ALSO GUYS

Its strange for me to hear that either one is more powerful than the other as they're my 2 mains and I have no problem beating one with the other. The only problem I'm having online is counter spammers.

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Why is it that whenever I do the instant counter, the game makes some weird monkey noise? Is my game weird? Or is Diddy Kong just really excited when I land that.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
As a massive Xenoblade fan, I need to see your channel. Can you link me please? :)

I took a look at your profile and you work on a Shulk PSA? Which one was that; the original one with Eater as side-B or the one with Monado Buster?
Sure! https://www.youtube.com/user/CowatusIoon
I do not have many videos though.

Oh yeah, I always forget that I made the Shulk mod even though I spent months working on it. I did the original one with Eater Side B/Purge Neutral B/Buster FS.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Any Bronados want to go a round or two? I haven't had the chance to fight other Shulks, since For Glory is rather lacking in them.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Any Bronados want to go a round or two? I haven't had the chance to fight other Shulks, since For Glory is rather lacking in them.
I can! I warn you though, you'll win. You'll win so hard. :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
After messing with air monado canceling more it's really useful. I always try and get speed because of the follow up potential if your aerial lands. All serious shulks should learn it asap

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I think it's best with dair. It basically makes it safe if you go through them (so they can't immediately shield grab).

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
@xenoblade chronicles
Gotta say, I played MANY games, this is one of the better ones. I "misplaced" mine onto the bookshelf, because I didn't liked the beginning, literally stopped after the first mechon attack... well, years later, I grabbed it (thankfully) and payed it my respect. Gotta say, the slow tutorial filled beginning is the only real bad point.

@For Glory
I have a win streak currently, but stopped until I succeded in 9.0 with him, no custom moves. And hell, I never hated my own vision so much, I somehow succeed with 2 stocks to the swords, loose one, and then get wrecked by myself...

Last edited:

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
I dunno if it's just because I've been fighting bad R.O.B.s, but Shulk seems to have an advantage on R.O.B..

Looks like the Monado is still particularly effective against Mechon.

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:
This is literally my new favourite forum post of all time.

I haven't been on Smashboards that long, but I've been on other forums for 8 years. You. Win.

Top Bottom