• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Facing my first good link atm. I can see why people say he's good now!

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
So I got destroyed by a Robin at our weekly last night. Just got zoned really hard, and Levin Sword punishes very hard. Thoughts on that matchup? I didn't think to save the replay, but at a guess I'd have to say I needed to use the first two arts more and bait out Arcfires until he gets uncomfortable using it.
I co-main Shulk and Robin so I'll try and tell you the weaknesses I notice when I use him.
First off, he/she has a problem with people rushing in their face, especially from the air. His/her ftilt and dtilt are really fast against people rushing in on the ground, but in the air is more of a problem, so try using Speed to pressure the tactician, or Jump to juggle in the air. Also, if you see Arcfire or Arcthunder coming towards you at high percents DEAR GOD SHIELD IT FOR YOUR LIFE. If Robin can do a fair/uair/any smash while you're stuck in that, you can kiss your stock goodbye. About your problem with Arcfire, it isn't like PK Fire where it comes out super fast, it's a little slower and at an angle so you should have time to retreat. Also one more thing, if he/she tosses the Levin Sword or a tome and has it in their hand at over 100%, watch out. For some reason they do a loooooooot of knockback when thrown. Also, if you can Jump gimp Robin off the edge, you might be able to keep him/her off as they continously use Elwind to recover, the tome might run out and they'll have no way to recover.

whenever im doing shulk vs robin or the other way around all I can think of is pretty boy battle :4shulk::4robinm:

edit:
Facing my first good link atm. I can see why people say he's good now!
I love hearing stuff like this. Obviously some characters will still be better than others, but I honestly have not seen any matchup at all in this game where it's absolutely impossible, like Ganondorf vs MK in Brawl. Everyone has a fair chance in this game and I feel like the development team did an amazing job doing that

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The matches were always really close, with us both second stock, him 70% and me 100%. I got him once, but like the other 5 times he got me.

Honestly, my main issue was I used back slash too often. Always resulted in a shield grab.

Eventually he left and then came in a player using little mac. I took the advice I had read on these forums and sort of stuck near the edges, forcing little mac to come to me. After giving some damage to him, it was just a matter of shield grab, back throw, gimp with Nair, KO. The second stock was even easier.

Then this player switched to ZSS. I remembered someone saying to use monado jump against her, and they were right. This was not as easy as little mac, but I still prevailed

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
The matches were always really close, with us both second stock, him 70% and me 100%. I got him once, but like the other 5 times he got me.

Honestly, my main issue was I used back slash too often. Always resulted in a shield grab.

Eventually he left and then came in a player using little mac. I took the advice I had read on these forums and sort of stuck near the edges, forcing little mac to come to me. After giving some damage to him, it was just a matter of shield grab, back throw, gimp with Nair, KO. The second stock was even easier.

Then this player switched to ZSS. I remembered someone saying to use monado jump against her, and they were right. This was not as easy as little mac, but I still prevailed
Good to hear that these forums are somewhat useful, and that thinking like in Xenoblade "which art is the most useful..." helps even in smash!
Also... I always tear up a little when a little mac get's smashed. Thank you.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
It either has to be very fun or very weird for a Kirby that sucks Shulk up. It matters on if they know how to use Monado arts. Kirby with Monado Jump is just ridiculous .-.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
By instant counter, you mean this right?

As SOON as you're hit, don't delay at all, press forward. So for example
:GCD::GCB: >Get hit by move< and IMMEDIATELY press forward
Or, if it helps you better to think of it this way, as soon as your hit and you see the blue aura around Monado Boy press forward.
I can't tell you how helpful this was. I FINALLY got the achievement for killing 4 miis in Cruel Smash thanks to this tip! You're awesome man.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm picking up Shulk just to deal with Little Mac.

I am already sick to death of this unshieldable KO punch bull****

So I will just use Shield Art instead.

H4H4H4H4H4H4.

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've wanted Shulk in smash since I played Xenoblade Chronicles in 2011... Really enjoying feeling Shulk in Smash 4 at the moment!

I'm loving the avatars/signatures people have of Shulk/Xenoblade, as well as the OP's graphics... makes me really jealous! :D

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hey guys, I've wanted Shulk in smash since I played Xenoblade Chronicles in 2011... Really enjoying feeling Shulk in Smash 4 at the moment!

I'm loving the avatars/signatures people have of Shulk/Xenoblade, as well as the OP's graphics... makes me really jealous! :D
Welcome aboard then! Here is everytime, shulk time.

Is anyone using custom monado arts? Decisive sounds good buuuut...
Nah. Standard ones are too valuable, the "stong" arts don't go well, since speed/jump throws you completly off, and have a too short duration. And the longer arts blocking your ability to change... which can be really bad when you want to switch to jump/smash.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
More like the difference is minor as hell.
Buster normal - 14 dmg jab combo
Buster decisive - 15 dmg jab combo
Buster Extreme - 17 damage jab combo.

Oh and the shorthop of Decisive and extreme Speed stance is very...short.

Last edited:

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
It either has to be very fun or very weird for a Kirby that sucks Shulk up. It matters on if they know how to use Monado arts. Kirby with Monado Jump is just ridiculous .-.
I'm really excited for this. You know that one day, in the future, there's gonna be one really good Shulk in a crew, and some other players is just gonna master Kirby vs Shulk for an upcoming crew battle just to JV that guy.

Jump kirby will rule the world.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I use Decisive whenever there's customs, since usually i have strategies for what artes to use, and im pretty good at using the right ones and not flubbing it up(well, choosing the right ones i want to use anyway). Although, i'm fine with either one, i dont bother with Hyper since they last literally 10 seconds and they're gone. Decisive is just for the players who don't switch between artes really quickly honestly, and it rewards the ones who know what they want and want to stick with it until it wears off.

I can't tell you how helpful this was. I FINALLY got the achievement for killing 4 miis in Cruel Smash thanks to this tip! You're awesome man.
Hmmmm, interesting. I'll remember this next time i try cruel Smash. I love that Instant Counter.

Also, gonna ask a Noob question here, how do you turn on Global Smash Power for everyone to see? I'm guessing you need Wifi, since i don't have Wifi at my house. XD

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I use Decisive whenever there's customs, since usually i have strategies for what artes to use, and im pretty good at using the right ones and not flubbing it up(well, choosing the right ones i want to use anyway). Although, i'm fine with either one, i dont bother with Hyper since they last literally 10 seconds and they're gone. Decisive is just for the players who don't switch between artes really quickly honestly, and it rewards the ones who know what they want and want to stick with it until it wears off.

Hmmmm, interesting. I'll remember this next time i try cruel Smash. I love that Instant Counter.

Also, gonna ask a Noob question here, how do you turn on Global Smash Power for everyone to see? I'm guessing you need Wifi, since i don't have Wifi at my house. XD
When you go online for the first time it should give you your GSP for all the various things in smash bros. It's notsomething others can view (I think)... just you personally.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Instant counter got me the 4 cruel smash kills too. Good stuff

Doing this feels so good.

Soooooo good.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Oh man that looks nice! Gonna try that tactic next time I fight my friends with the Monado boy.

About the Monado Arts, I use default because I still fail sometimes when I'm choosing and also if I'm off stage use a lot Jump for the recovery. There's also the fact that I change arts a lot depending on the situation, I think I have a more dynamic playstyle.

The Sheik match up is fun

If you never touch buster or shield. Ever

Actually, just stick to using any art that buffs mobility

You know what? I'm gonna try not touching buster. Sure I've been doing well with it but I wonder if I'll actually do much better without it.... To be honest, I can see myself do better without it.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Sorry for interrupting Shulkle but for the German Name of smooth landing, it is called "Agil nach Landung" and the equipment I got is "Schuhe -Sanfte Landung-" , stats are +26 speed -34 attack.

Note that not everyone can equip shoes in this game: There boots, sandals etc. For example I can give it to Shulk and Dr. Mario, but not to Samus.

Last edited:
Well. I gave For Glory a shot. I just remembered why I didn't play it anymore. Lol. I can't believe my win loss is at 60%+. Thought it would be sub 50%.

Still sucks. Gonna stick to local >___>

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Well. I gave For Glory a shot. I just remembered why I didn't play it anymore. Lol. I can't believe my win loss is at 60%+. Thought it would be sub 50%.

Still sucks. Gonna stick to local >___>
Yeah, just tried some For Glory myself. Got stuck against a Sheik that basically rolled and projectile spammed the entire match, then tried to time it out to sudden death. Didn't work, thankfully, because they used the exact same pattern of rolls every time :I

Then I came up against a Samus who did the EXACT SAME THING except they taunted me with crouches over and over.

Yeah, let's stick to local :p

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Sorry for interrupting Shulkle but for the German Name of smooth landing, it is called "Agil nach Landung" and the equipment I got is "Schuhe -Sanfte Landung-" , stats are +26 speed -34 attack.

Note that not everyone can equip shoes in this game: There boots, sandals etc. For example I can give it to Shulk and Dr. Mario, but not to Samus.
God bless you, thanks!

Then again if I tried to ignore the lag and look, I just noticed that most FG players roll. Actually, half of the FG players are worse than CPU's. I fought one that used Rosalina and didn't luma shot at all and just kept recovering upwards. The match preceding that, I got wrecked by a Rosaluma because lag and back slash to hell

The only useful thing I learned was to grab more

I went local and won against my pal's Dark Pit and Sheik. Didn't even touch buster or smash. I know which art custom I'm using now :p (Decisive)

Anyone that wants to take advantage of the monado arts techs should use hyper monado arts

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hm... I know this isn't the place to ask, but...
Does anyone has the audio file for "Now it's shulk time" taunt?
I can't seem to find it, and it would be a blizz to have it as notification sound.

Also, decisive is kinda okay, but why using hyper?

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Hm... I know this isn't the place to ask, but...
Does anyone has the audio file for "Now it's shulk time" taunt?
I can't seem to find it, and it would be a blizz to have it as notification sound.

Also, decisive is kinda okay, but why using hyper?
I have all the battle voice soundfiles from Xenoblade Chronicles which took me a good few days to label with what they say, but sadly Shulk doesn't say that in the game ("Now it's Reyn Time!"). If you want, though, I can upload the Shulk files for you if you're looking for that sort of thing.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I have all the battle voice soundfiles from Xenoblade Chronicles which took me a good few days to label with what they say, but sadly Shulk doesn't say that in the game ("Now it's Reyn Time!"). If you want, though, I can upload the Shulk files for you if you're looking for that sort of thing.
That would be sweet, pretty much every battle Sound that shulk makes is golden. Oh well, atleast he's really feeling it in xenoblade!
... so yes, that would be awesome.

Oh mai god. I don't even need smash or buster anymore. Just gimp with jump or speed. I can just commit to any of these two arts (And shield for tanking)

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
That would be sweet, pretty much every battle Sound that shulk makes is golden. Oh well, atleast he's really feeling it in xenoblade!
... so yes, that would be awesome.
I need 10 posts before I can post links since I'm new... I'll go make some meaningful comments on other threads and get back to you soon. Sorry for the delay!

Edit: Done!

Here's the soundfiles: Shulk Xenoblade Battlesounds (Some Xenoblade Spoilers)

Here's two videos I made with them:
Shulk and Melia Commentate the Robin & Lucina Reveal Trailer
Shulk, Reyn and Fiora Commentate the Smash Direct Characters
(Xenoblade Spoilers in the second one)

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Why have I not posted here yet?!I have of colony 6 and a Shulk main and let me tell you, I'm really feeling it!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I need 10 posts before I can post links since I'm new... I'll go make some meaningful comments on other threads and get back to you soon. Sorry for the delay!

Edit: Done!

Here's the soundfiles: Shulk Battlesounds (Some Xenoblade Spoilers)

Here's two videos I made with them:
Shulk and Melia Commentate the Robin & Lucina Reveal Trailer
Shulk, Reyn and Fiora Commentate the Smash Direct Characters
(Xenoblade Spoilers in the second one)
Sweet jesus, thank you. You are the real mvp.

Why have I not posted here yet?!I have of colony 6 and a Shulk main and let me tell you, I'm really feeling it!
Welcome to colony 6, where we kill ourselfes with backslash, and create crazy drinkimg games that involves "the monado".

Aggyyu

Smash Cadet
Thank you glad to suicide with back slash anytime!
Yes, I've done that before. Usually I just try to avoid using it when getting back onstage, or towards the edge. But sometimes I'll somehow mess up the direction, and... yeah :p

B-throw/U-throw to back slash

hnggghhh

Sucks if you do it near the edge because back slash..... :p

Question about back throw/up throw to Back Slash, but how consistent is it between characters?
To be honest and based on experience, it's hard to pull off but I think it's consistent between characters. Smaller characters are a bit harder to hit but it's mostly consistent

Still, it's satisfying to land

Last edited:
Top Bottom