• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
So I just had a bunch of For Glory dittos with another fellow Shulk player tagged "Alex". If your in game name is Alex and you played a load of Shulk dittos with me (ign SDoom), you the real MVP. Seriously those sets were incredibly fun and it really felt like we were pretty even as the matches went back and forth.

I raise my Monado to you, sir.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Meh rough night for me in regards to attempts, everytime I feel like I progress some I seem to take several steps backwards off a cliff. Think I probably lost like 15 matches in a row. Kind of forgotten what it feels like to get thoroughly crushed. Though most of them to this one Wario who I couldn't seem to avoid falling into a trap from no matter how I approached or defended. So it goes.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I've destroyed pretty much every person I've played in for glory except this japanese mario player who was really good and we traded matches back and forth a few time. Most for glory people just spam roll and it's so easy to punish :/.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I haven't quite figured that kind of thing out. Since I didn't participate much in either Melee or Brawl's scene really at all so I'm not heavily used to approaching that way., I'm kind of starting from the bottom and begin to question or not whether my reflexes are actually up to it, hah.

Given that Shulk isn't the easiest character I am definitely try the hard way.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you think your opponent is going to roll behind you, just short hop nair and drift backwards with it. Even if they don't roll it covers most approach options. If you think they are going to roll away you have several options including grabbing, ftilt, dash attack..or you can just blue nair past them to cover the option and when they roll the other way run at them and grab :p. Which is one of the reasons I love speed monado.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you think your opponent is going to roll behind you, just short hop nair and drift backwards with it. Even if they don't roll it covers most approach options. If you think they are going to roll away you have several options including grabbing, ftilt, dash attack..or you can just blue nair past them to cover the option and when they roll the other way run at them and grab :p. Which is one of the reasons I love speed monado.
I've noticed for lesser skilled opponents when they roll behind you down smash can either launch them, or trap them inside the attack allowing you to rack up damage without even trying. It's a little risky to use though.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I'm new here, and reading all these posts makes me feel really sad.... :( I think I've lost all but one For Glory matches I've played. Any tips for someone just getting into the competitive side of Smash (especially as Shulk)?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm new here, and reading all these posts makes me feel really sad.... :( I think I've lost all but one For Glory matches I've played. Any tips for someone just getting into the competitive side of Smash (especially as Shulk)?
Only Smash attack when you are absolutely sure it will connect is probably the most basic rule I can think of when playing as Shulk.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's kind of the problem I often get into, I tend to forward smash accidentally and I mean a lot. It seems like I can't get out of the habit of quickly forcing the circle pad when trying to turn around causing me to put myself in bad positions too often. I'm still getting used to the feeling of short hopping which I find harder then it should be and I'm not entirely sure why

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just play a lot! Getting better comes with hard work. Most people who get good fast have been in the scene for years(I've been going to tournaments since 2003) so don't feel intimidated at the rate of others growth compared to your own. Watch videos and learn from other players, try to emulate them and understand why they would pick the options they do. Work on making your movement crisp and always being able to make your character do what you want it to do.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Just play a lot! Getting better comes with hard work. Most people who get good fast have been in the scene for years(I've been going to tournaments since 2003) so don't feel intimidated at the rate of others growth compared to your own. Watch videos and learn from other players, try to emulate them and understand why they would pick the options they do. Work on making your movement crisp and always being able to make your character do what you want it to do.
Probably the truth in general.

Though, I've forgotten how much the irritation of getting severely stomped in game is a surprisingly effective motivator.

Last edited:

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Played some For Glorys and I'm very frustrated because I fail in punish effectively, sometimes I don't punish some Smash attacks or Air dodge to the ground, still learning my ways with Shulk but every time I play with him I believe more and more that his Nair is awesome, you can use it to do almost anything and work excellent with Speed.

Some tips for punishing better with the Monado boy?

Also another little thing...how you put that transparent Shulk in your posts?

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Played some For Glorys and I'm very frustrated because I fail in punish effectively, sometimes I don't punish some Smash attacks or Air dodge to the ground, still learning my ways with Shulk but every time I play with him I believe more and more that his Nair is awesome, you can use it to do almost anything and work excellent with Speed.

Also another little thing...who you put that transparent Shulk in your posts?
Can't think of ways to punish off the top of the head, my mind's a bit scattered atm. But in regards to your other question, you need to be a premium member.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Am I terrible for enjoying the use of Grab -> Bthrow?

I wish I could run into more Shulk players on For Glory, at least that way I'd get some kind of idea of how some players use him.

Life

Smash Hero
Shulk's punishes include juggling with nair and utilt, along with edgeguarding using Monado Jump to get out to your opponent with that great aerial range, and using dsmash on rolls.

D

Deleted member

Hope Xenoblade's universe will have the representation it deserves with this home console games' trophy board.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

I wish I could run into more Shulk players on For Glory, at least that way I'd get some kind of idea of how some players use him.
That's pretty much what I've been doing to stop these endless rolling stones. Speed Monado is my favourite one, since it makes grabbing and aerials so much easier to use, also I can outrun little mac.

I barely use buster anymore, since the time I try to use it, I miss out good grabs or attacks against my enemy, which would have been just as much % dmg as with the few hits buster would've made.
Still, love it to go smash and then vision the hell out of them.

I just learned some things that are valuable today. Actually, multiple things

1) Jump against jiggs. Uh... I'm sticking with Speed and buster. Probably the only match up where using jump isn't really a good idea

2) I think I found out why I'm having a little trouble with Rosalina. It's because I'm too reckless with speed so I just switch to buster and pick Luma out then go after Rosa. Oh right, buster is pretty good against Rosa imo. Strong vision counter against Luma makes things simpler or less complicated

3) Yeeeeeaah. Don't use monado arts while jumping. It ****s up your jumping momentum :(

4) I don't know what's wrong with me. I didn't even use AS this way but air slash for KO'ing is beautiful. This is a solid KO option

5) Counter vs Diddy.... No.... Um.. There's a chance that Diddy will still hit you out of your dash animation if you countered a smash attack because his u-smash and f-smash are multi hits. Oh and I got KO'd for countering his u-smash so.......

6) Okay... Pacman match up is something that I'm getting used to but it's still mostly hell for me

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I just learned some things that are valuable today. Actually, multiple things

1) Jump against jiggs. Uh... I'm sticking with Speed and buster. Probably the only match up where using jump isn't really a good idea

2) I think I found out why I'm having a little trouble with Rosalina. It's because I'm too reckless with speed so I just switch to buster and pick Luma out then go after Rosa. Oh right, buster is pretty good against Rosa imo. Strong vision counter against Luma makes things simpler or less complicated

3) Yeeeeeaah. Don't use monado arts while jumping. It ****s up your jumping momentum :(

4) I don't know what's wrong with me. I didn't even use AS this way but air slash for KO'ing is beautiful. This is a solid KO option

5) Counter vs Diddy.... No.... Um.. There's a chance that Diddy will still hit you out of your dash animation if you countered a smash attack because his u-smash and f-smash are multi hits. Oh and I got KO'd for countering his u-smash so.......

6) Okay... Pacman match up is something that I'm getting used to but it's still mostly hell for me
Okay...
1. & 2. Yes. So much yes.

3. It depends, when you're falling you can just press once, wait for the sound, and then just jump. It takes a little practise not to kill yourself with backslash by accident.

4. I use it rarely, but have to agree. Maybe it's because I'm used to marths up special.

5. & 6. I've never really played against "for glory diddy", Pacman is something that is pretty okay to deal with.

Last edited:
Back slash is great for punishing.

U-smash against ledge hops is hilarious. Don't get predictable with it. More importantly, distance yourself properly from the ledge. They might roll so I'd rather charge the u-smash until they do something ooor.... Just use u-tilt which is way easier

Sometimes, I find f-smash to be a bit unreliable since I only land the first hit 40% of the time. Spacing it though is amazing. The 2nd hit does enough knockback. It also catches players off guard

D-smash is great against rollers BUT like what Hylian said, n-air works. IMO, it's probably even better
Okay...
1. & 2. Yes. So much yes.

3. It depends, when you're falling you can just press once, wait for the sound, and then just jump. It takes a little practise not to kill yourself with backslash by accident.

4. I use it rarely, but have to agree. Maybe it's because I'm used to marths up special.

5. & 6. I've never really played against "for glory diddy", Pacman is something that is pretty okay to deal with.
3. I think this happens when I do the activation animation in mid air. All of a sudden, my momentum gets ****ed up then I'm dumb founded

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Fight fire with fire, learn what each of his fruits do and throw then back at him. Fsmash the fire hydrant or wait in the stream of water to be pushed towards Pac-man and maybe usmash?? Also hit him out of the move where he follows the pellets, eat them to regain health. When he recovers low with his trampoline from below, if you feel risky you can dair him and spike him, then use the trampoline to bounce up and airslash. :4pacman:

edit: sorry accidentally posted before I was done typing

Last edited:
Fight fire with fire, learn what each of his fruits do and throw then back at him. Fsmash the fire hydrant or wait in the stream of water to be pushed towards Pac-man
I think f-tilt (Vanilla/Buster) works fine for me regarding the fire hydrant

I'm following the idea of using speed against him but it ain't working. For all I know, I think I might be better off using buster yet again

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I think f-tilt (Vanilla/Buster) works fine for me regarding the fire hydrant

I'm following the idea of using speed against him but it ain't working. For all I know, I think I might be better off using buster yet again
Ohh.. ftilt probably would work better... I'll have to try that later

Ohh.. ftilt probably would work better... I'll have to try that later
Fresh non tip f-tilt (Or tipped f-tilt I think) easily breaks hydrant. Buster anything easily breaks it too

I'm gonna try out buster against Pacman but I can't do that now. I don't wanna play against the CPU's. They're too easy >_> (I had to put myself at 100% to make it seem challenging but nothing changes)

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
want to face some other shulk players here, maybe I can pick up a few things after facing y'all. I'll be using pit, sonic, and link startnig out though, after that I'll go shulk.

reason being is I'm sadly still not very good at all with shulk :/ so i feel i'll be a bigger challenge with those three while picking up anything from your own shulks.

sonic feels closer to his brawl incarnation than anyone else IMO, so he's been easy to adjust to despite not being my main in brawl(still used him a lot though) pit was my main in brawl and while its taken some time to get used to his changes i've adjusted. LInk its just cuz I liked playing him in all smash games.

anyhow here is my FC. 5413-0059-5559

Should I go with Dash Counter or normal counter or the other one?
Normal

Dash is disappointingly weak

And power vision is practically only usable once per stock. Only thing good about it is that it looks like Shaker Edge (Xenoblade art) is used in this one
I love using Bthrow. Easily my favorite throw

Last edited:

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
So, I was shulk the other day and I got grab released to my death and I could not up B and I was not in free fall animation. Um what happened? Is there a grab release on shulk after he up bs or something? It was similar to grabbing snake out of his cypher thing. I didn't realize those were in this game as well. <_<

I hope it was just a mess up on my part or something, because that would be sad if people could grab release shulk to his death.
:(

RIP Bronado Bae </3

So, I was shulk the other day and I got grab released to my death and I could not up B and I was not in free fall animation. Um what happened? Is there a grab release on shulk after he up bs or something? It was similar to grabbing snake out of his cypher thing. I didn't realize those were in this game as well. <_<

I hope it was just a mess up on my part or something, because that would be sad if people could grab release shulk to his death.

RIP Bronado Bae </3
Hm.... I'm not sure... I think that also happened to me too but I was still able to use air slash

Dude. My avatar fits my feelings

Oh and non-Xenoblade topic, Naruto's ending soon so I picked my favorite Naruto character as my avy

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hm.... I'm not sure... I think that also happened to me too but I was still able to use air slash

Dude. My avatar fits my feelings

Oh and non-Xenoblade topic, Naruto's ending soon so I picked my favorite Naruto character as my avy
I hope they are gonna tell us what happened after the ending too... don't really like an end, where so many loose unanswered questions are...

.......... I still can't think of anything @ KassandraNova KassandraNova :(

What a drag :troll:
I hope they are gonna tell us what happened after the ending too... don't really like an end, where so many loose unanswered questions are...
Yeah. Why is Sasuke ********? That's a good question. The guy knows how to turn on and off, it gets so annoying

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

RIP Bronado Bae </3
Oh god, pls no.
I'll test this later today and hopefully find out you just made a mistake
pls monado boy, dont break down hahahagetit cuzinxenobladechroniclesairslashinflictsbreakhahahahha ok that was bad

Aaaaaand.... I got nothing >_>

Can anyone else try this out?

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
They just announced one of the songs on the Wii U soundtrack is a Xenoblade medley. http://club2.nintendo.com/smash-promo/
ENGAGE THE ENEMY AND MECHANICAL RHYTHM, SAKURAI PLS COME THROUGH. I will love him forever if those songs are in the melody. A melody sounds pretty cool too just in general, to encompass all the amazing music in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom