• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Weird question: How do you pronounce Shulk?

The announcer says it like "Shulk" as in "Hulk" with a "Sh" for the beginning, but I sometimes hear "Shoolk" from some people.

Edit: I'm not good with phonetics.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Haven't been on here for too long... But I uploaded Part 3 of Shulk and Friends commentating the Smash Wii U direct!

I think I must've completely missed Part 2... I'll have some catching up to do!

The announcer says it like "Sh-ulk", but I sometimes hear "Shoo-lk" from some people.
It's kind of hard to tell which is which from what you've written. Assuming I'm mentally pronouncing those right, in Xenoblade they say it more like the second one, I think. It doesn't rhyme with "Hulk". The 'u' is pronounced more like 'oo' as in 'cook' or 'book'.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

The announcer says it like "Sh-ulk", but I sometimes hear "Shoo-lk" from some people.
Sh-UH-lk , basically Hulk with the Sh sound

Haven't been on here for too long... But I uploaded Part 3 of Shulk and Friends commentating the Smash Wii U direct!

"
:4shulk::4shulk::4shulk:"I'M REALLY REALLY REALLY FEELING IT" :4shulk::4shulk::4shulk:
RIKI WANT TO PLAY WITH ITEMS AND TIME makes makes a glorious comeback
Also, I'm not sure why but Sharla wanting free keychains made me die laughing

You do such a good job with these and they're so hillarious ;; Thanks for taking the time to do them, I might try and make one too

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think I must've completely missed Part 2... I'll have some catching up to do!

It's kind of hard to tell which is which from what you've written. Assuming I'm mentally pronouncing those right, in Xenoblade they say it more like the second one, I think. It doesn't rhyme with "Hulk". The 'u' is pronounced more like 'oo' as in 'cook' or 'book'.
The weird thing is that I remember people, NPCs and other characters, saying "Shoolk" in Xenoblade from what I saw in Chuggaaconroy's playthrough, but I also remember people saying "Shulk" in Xenoblade as well. So, it makes it more confusing than Ajay Ghale in Far Cry 4 which can be explained as language differences.

In English, Ajay is like "A.J.", but in India, Nepal, and Tibet - the game's set in fictional Kyrat -, it's "Arh-jay" which could have been fixed if Ajay's name was spelled like "Arjay". Ghale is pronounced like "gale" in English; in his motherland, it's "Gah-lay".

Then there's the whole "ZEE-no-blade" and "ZEN-oh-blade" when pronouncing "Xenoblade". Maybe we should just listen to the devs' pronunciation and stick with it. Oh, wait. There's the whole dialect thing where "idea" becomes "idear", "to-may-to" becomes "to-mah-to", and "Mar-ri-oh" becomes "Mare-ri-oh".

Never say geyser as "gee-zer" to Chuggaa. Never.

I just say "Shulk" in one syllable.
Yeah, I kind of meant that with some saying it like Hulk with a "Sh" sound while others say "Shoolk".

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117

Dang, that was perfect, great job! If i ever get my hands on something like Sony Vegas, i might try to do a feat. for the Xenoblade Cast watching some of the newcomer trailers(not just Shulk, i'd probably do Mega Man's and Duck Hunt's).

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968

Look what I fooound. >u<

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93

:link:
Awesome! I imagine these videos must take up quite some time to edit and what-have-you. Anyways, two lines in particular that I was fond of in part 3 were. . .

- The bit about the internet connection, when Shulk said "The Bionis's wi-fi is great!"
- The bit about the online voice communication(s), when again, Shulk said "I'm really speaking it!"

Edit: No "Unfinished Battle" in SSBIV's OST is a flaw.

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Ok guys, so Chugga just got past the part in his LP where
Metal Face dies. I'll admit, i did not see Shulk stopping Dunban from landing the killing blow coming, i was sure he'd be all for it. But aside from that, i'm glad that this happened. This whole time so far, all of the cast's goals (except Riki, he just wants to help his friends, and Melia at first) have been about revenge and achieving it, to make the Mechon pay.

But see, the thing is, we all know Revenge isn't a good thing. All it does is corrupt you, cloud your judgement, and really, it won't bring back Fiora or the Emperor(Even though she came back, but even if she didn't, getting revenge wouldn't have brought her back anyway is my point), or anyone who was killed by the Mechon. It's shown as a bad thing in most media for a reason, and really, i was hoping at some point in the story Shulk and co. would realize that it shouldn't be the only thing their focused on, and it took awhile, but Shulk has finally realized this. He sees that there's more they should be looking at and what Revenge could influence them to do. (As in, revenge almost made Dunban kill another Homs, and if say, Fiora was in Mumkhar's position with her mind warped, who's to say he wouldn't have killed his own sister, to avenge their colony?)

So again, i'm glad that this happened, because IMO, this honestly had a long time coming.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
That's pretty cool. It would be neat if Shulk's taunts also changed to talk directly to Metal Face.
I'LL KILL YOOOOUUUU!!!
Those words... will be your laaaaast!

Watching the video, all I could think was Xord's "Want some more? Monado moron!"

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I'LL KILL YOOOOUUUU!!!
Those words... will be your laaaaast!

Watching the video, all I could think was Xord's "Want some more? Monado moron!"
Welp, now we know why Shulk has no specialized taunts to say to Metal Face. They'd be too dark for Smash. XD

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Have you all seen the conquest that started today and lasts til Friday? "Bunch of Jokers" featuring Shulk, Little Mac, and Bowser.

I'd put my money on Bowser actually, Little Mac still probably has the lowest win ratio. We'll do what we can with Shulk tho.
Eh. We'll see. The back slashes are strong in Shulk.

Actually, I hope Shulk loses hard. Let him get some unneeded buffs

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Well I'm going Reyn Time all over For Glory right now.
Huh? Here in europe the conquest mode is still "Omega Ruby" VS "Alpha Saphire"... weird.
That was last week's conquest

...Well I've only had one of my matches count towards conquest so far, even though after that battle I fought a Bowser with Shulk (and won). Can you only get one match to count towards Conquest or something?

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
You get one conquest battle like every 24 hours or something.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Found this - done by FlameTorchic on deviantart.

Damn.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
You know, i never bring this up enough, i'm glad that things are looking great for Xenoblade's future, and that Shulk got into Smash. Seriously, being a hardcore Mother fan, i can safely say i probably know the suffering fans of franchises like Mega Man's go through when the Company doesn't care for the series or even acknowledge it. Although i will say, if Xenoblade wasn't as incredible as it is, there's a good chance it would've ended up like Mother, but, being the Best RPG of last Gen has it's many perks.

Still, i'm really hoping Shulk doesn't end up getting cut in the next Smash (if there's a Smash 5). After being on the end of a fan of a character who got cut, whose franchise is basically in the situation Xenoblade could've ended up in (i don't think i need to specify who it is), i'm really hoping this doesn't happen to Shulk. I mean seriously, its been a month, still not over how this char. got cut. If it had been anyone else, i would've been a bit sad but i would've gotten over it, but this was a special case. Considering this chars. franchise is basically stomped on and ignored by Nintendo, it feels entirely like injustice and completely unfair, even to the point where it feels like Sakurai has become part of the majority of Nintendo who does this (i know he didn't want to do it, and i don't blame him, but i'm just saying what it feels like).

So for what it's worth, i'm grateful that Xenoblade has a bright future ahead and that Shulk is finally getting the recognition that he definitely deserves.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
You know, i never bring this up enough, i'm glad that things are looking great for Xenoblade's future, and that Shulk got into Smash. Seriously, being a hardcore Mother fan, i can safely say i probably know the suffering fans of franchises like Mega Man's go through when the Company doesn't care for the series or even acknowledge it. Although i will say, if Xenoblade wasn't as incredible as it is, there's a good chance it would've ended up like Mother, but, being the Best RPG of last Gen has it's many perks.

Still, i'm really hoping Shulk doesn't end up getting cut in the next Smash (if there's a Smash 5). After being on the end of a fan of a character who got cut, whose franchise is basically in the situation Xenoblade could've ended up in (i don't think i need to specify who it is), i'm really hoping this doesn't happen to Shulk. I mean seriously, its been a month, still not over how this char. got cut. If it had been anyone else, i would've been a bit sad but i would've gotten over it, but this was a special case. Considering this chars. franchise is basically stomped on and ignored by Nintendo, it feels entirely like injustice and completely unfair, even to the point where it feels like Sakurai has become part of the majority of Nintendo who does this (i know he didn't want to do it, and i don't blame him, but i'm just saying what it feels like).

So for what it's worth, i'm grateful that Xenoblade has a bright future ahead and that Shulk is finally getting the recognition that he definitely deserves.
I really don't think he'll get cut. He's now the "Xeno series" poster-boy now, and unlike Ice Climber, this series has a future.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand why people think Shulk will get cut in the next game.

The franchise has a future and it has gained a pretty big following (hell, look back at the old thread to see us get ready what we assumed was "Monado Monday"). Nintendo seems to be promoting X as their next big game and, by extension, the Xenoblade franchise as their next big franchise seeing as how Shulk is in Smash and there will be a remake on the New 3DS. Now that the Xenoblade franchise is an established franchise, the series has its foot firmly into Smash. I think that we will get the protagonist of X in the next game alongside Shulk, who at this point will be seen as the Marth of the franchise.

I think that Shulk is here to stay in the Smash franchise. Even if Xenoblade's sales aren't up to Nintendo's standards, the franchise still has a following and I don't think Sakurai would cut Shulk because of failure in sales or anything like that. Keep in mind that he wanted to keep the Ice Climbers; he couldn't keep them because of technical limitations, thus making them low priority because their franchise didn't have a future and eventually cut them. I doubt Shulk will fall in this scenario.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Contributed to the Conquest using Shulk.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen Bowser or Little Mac at all lately. People are probablt realzing that those characters aren't easy modo.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Contributed to the Conquest using Shulk.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen Bowser or Little Mac at all lately. People are probablt realzing that those characters aren't easy modo.
Well Bowswercides are gone so that probably discouraged a lot of people. As for Mac... they probably decided to actually learn a real character.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, so something really weird happened to me, this seems like the place to ask.
I was playing as little mac against Shulk on Garden of Hope. Items are off.
Towards the end of the match, shulk grabs me, hits me with a back throw and I shrink. I kid you not I shrunk, just like I would with a poison mushroom. I have a replay, so it definitely happened.
Does anyone here know anything about this?

Last edited:
Hey, so something really weird happened to me, this seems like the place to ask.
I was playing as little mac against Shulk on Garden of Hope. Items are off.
Towards the end of the match, shulk grabs me, hits me with a back throw and I shrink. I kid you not I shrunk, just like I would with a poison mushroom. I have a replay, so it definitely happened.
Does anyone here know anything about this?
..... That's new..... That never happened to me @_@

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would be very interested in seeing this replay. Could you record it?
I'm not sure how, I don't have a capture card, but I suppose I could just record the screen.
I'll work on it.

Jje09

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but I think shulk's swimming animation in the wii u version is the same as it is on xenoblade. I love how many animations they brought over

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm not sure how, I don't have a capture card, but I suppose I could just record the screen.
I'll work on it.
Screen will be good =]. Umm I just have to make sure - items were off right?
Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but I think shulk's swimming animation in the wii u version is the same as it is on xenoblade. I love how many animations they brought over
Trying this right now.

edit: lol it actually looks just like Dunban's when standing still. Doesn't look like Shulk's though :3

Last edited:
Top Bottom