• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle IV - November 9th, 2013 - Columbus, OH

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I had a pretty good time seeing new and old faces at this venue despite me being late for all 5 main events I could've possibly entered into. I kinda made up for today by winning every small MM I went through, though.

I'm legit salty about it, though. I'm in a bind, as I feared, and it really will cut into my tourney-related activity during weekends. Someday I'll be able to enter one again, but all I can do now is hope that my job does a temporary Mon-Fri schedule again for the same Saturday I can attend a tourney. That's supposed to loosen up for me sometime during this month, but it has yet to happen.

gg NoMeow

Smash Rookie
Hey All!

Thanks for coming out to our undoubtedly biggest Smash tournament yet. Despite a few hiccups and a late start time, we were able to accomplish a ton and I think a lot of people had fun.

We are hoping to do this again next semester and knock out the kinks, get more people, and make it even better.

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way- first time I had ever seen/been at a Smash tournament, and it was awesome.

Thanks all,
Amar aka blue-shirted eSports Initiative Staff with da money box.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Had a ton of fun at this. Sucks that things went over and we had to split the pot but I guess I can't complain too much. Gooooo Raising Kanes.

(edit: Was our GF doubles set streamed? I can't find it on the ESI twitch page anywhere)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Had fun. Good matches.

tips for future events:
1) Don't cut pools. Make sure stuff runs on time.

2) Seed the brackets better. I shouldn't have been playing someone like gunpunch second round when there were that many people.

3) Don't run 4 brackets from the same computer.

4) have separate streams for the different events.

Overall, had a great time. It was a fun tournament and I was glad to get to see so many people again.
Really wish I could make it down to columbus tourneys more often.

and everyone should come to The Shape Of Melee III at Kent State in december!

SoulPech

Smash Master
Derf,

please understand that the people who were running the tournament didn't have too much experience running these types of events. 1 and 2 were because the tournament started later than expected, so these had to be cut in order to save time. 3 I agree and 4 isnt too much of a concern.

If these happen again, I'd like to help run this and make sure everything gets done on time.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
If you ^ weren't running it I don't see a reason for you to speak on people's concerns with how the tournament was run. It started very late and the staff wasn't communicating with each other let alone with participants. Also when things do get pushed back and multiple events are going on at the same time, separate streams would've been a great idea.

LOE1

Smash Lord
despite the tourney running late(like I planned :denzel:) I had a really fun time. was really fun seeing people I don't see often out of state and talking to them. everyone here was so nice lol. i'm going to have some good shoutouts when the results thread is up :)

SoulPech

Smash Master
Singles started later than expected, so by the time Top 5 occured, the venue had to close. It was unfortunate :(

I was offering to have them finish at my house lol.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Top 4 in Brawl wasn't played out, top 5 in Melee wasn't played out. For Melee, Jiano forfeited for 5th, Drephen forfeited for 4th, and Chu and I decided that Abu was TOO GOOD and just split 2nd/3rd.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

I just want to address some of the immediate issues that were talked about with the event. We are aware and apologize for the hectic start of the tournament, which forced us to change a few things (not having pools, not finishing on time). I want to thank you all for your patience and your willingness to help. You have all been helpful in giving advice and assistance, which is greatly appreciated. We have already started talks on how to improve for the next event. Any and all advice is welcome, we want our next event to run flawlessly!

I want to have a couple special shoutouts to a few people. Chauncey (sp?) for helping with seeding, and running project M solely. Those who helped seed Singles (Hael Phael, Mathos, and Zinoto), this tournament was so much easier with your guys' help! Finally to our casters Kiest and Jiffy, and everyone who came out and showed up to buff the Midwest/Cbus scene. We can't wait to hold next other tournament!

Suyon

Smash Lord
I've talked to the ESI members about the results so hopefully that will come soon. We have already begun discussing our mistakes and have a document on what we should do next time to make the event in spring semester better.

Oh was faster and more formal than me.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
****. I was so tired last night, I woke up at almost 12PM.

I'll post some shoutouts when the results thread goes up. I'm preparing and saving them now so I won't have to do it later when I lose some of my thoughts.

In the meantime, I took some pictures of the venue and ChuDat's interview if anyone wants them.

LOE1

Smash Lord
idk if I should tell the whole story with me, zinoto, chu, and fizzle lol

for now, i'll just say, there was grime. lots of it.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Hey guys,

I just want to address some of the immediate issues that were talked about with the event. We are aware and apologize for the hectic start of the tournament, which forced us to change a few things (not having pools, not finishing on time). I want to thank you all for your patience and your willingness to help. You have all been helpful in giving advice and assistance, which is greatly appreciated. We have already started talks on how to improve for the next event. Any and all advice is welcome, we want our next event to run flawlessly!

I want to have a couple special shoutouts to a few people. Chauncey (sp?) for helping with seeding, and running project M solely. Those who helped seed Singles (Hael Phael, Mathos, and Zinoto), this tournament was so much easier with your guys' help! Finally to our casters Kiest and Jiffy, and everyone who came out and showed up to buff the Midwest/Cbus scene. We can't wait to hold next other tournament!

NP. It's Chonce.

Tournament was a little rough, but all of the other bells and whistles were amazing. Free drinks, free pizza, free Buckeye Donuts... for the most part lots of space and a great willingness to be helped, answer inquiries, do interviews and more. Thank you very much for setting things up!

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
I was also disappointed by the lack of pools but that was unavoidable given the late start.

I definitely underperformed, and hopefully that won't happen again. Thank you to DR. X for teaming with me in brawl!! and ggs to everyone I played in bracket.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed this event despite the issues listed above. Sure, I could've done 1000 percent better if I had used the dinosaur, but I wasn't there to win. Just wanted to enjoy myself
With that being said, LOE1 lucked out :bowser2: :bowser2: :bowser2: :bowser2:

LOE1

Smash Lord
I really enjoyed this event despite the issues listed above. Sure, I could've done 1000 percent better if I had used the dinosaur, but I wasn't there to win. Just wanted to enjoy myself
With that being said, LOE1 lucked out :bowser: :bowser: :bowser: :bowser:
yo, that will never happen. ever....

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Mike,

why did you change your name? ;~;

I needed a change and a reminder of where my main priority is.

you can still call me MX though, since everybody else still is haha

Chris, it was gonna' be the greatest turtle'ing the world has yet to see. huehuehue

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to everyone who came out! Despite our issues everything was pretty fun. I was reminded why I use to enjoy brawl so much. I'll try to get back into the scene with good ol' Lucario!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ok my last comment seemed kinda harsh, to be fair it was like 3 in the morning and I just drove all the way home from columbus lol.

so I'm just gonna say, the tournament was a lot of fun (which is the important part)
I thought it was well thought out for what it was, I just don't think you all were ready for a tournament of this size.

And that's not a bad thing, It was still fun as ****, I just thought I'd give some advice to help with the next event, which I will still gladly attend :)

gg NoMeow

Smash Rookie
We run a ton of tournaments, and its hard to predict size.

Sometimes you predict 100 people and 20 show up, sometimes you predict 50 people and 200 show up.

I can guarantee we will be more prepared next time, so hopefully the slip ups weren't so much that it discouraged anyone from attending next semester!

We will definitely be bringing on an "advising" council of the people who said they would help plan/give suggestions, so I'm sure it will be awesome.

Amar

Suyon

Smash Lord
I have posted in the ESI Facebook group page that they should either make a results thread or send me the file. Currently no one has spoken up and Ballistaboy does not know who has the file.

Top Bottom