• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
That said, in current times it might be best to be careful about claming that anything game-related is in a good position due to support from China. Even if the government has nothing to do with it (which is the case with Reimu), this is something that more dedicated detractors would love to use to misinform people.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
That said, in current times it might be best to be careful about claming that anything game-related is in a good position due to support from China. Even if the government has nothing to do with it (which is the case with Reimu), this is something that more dedicated detractors would love to use to misinform people.
I'd say it could only really be used to detract from Reimu if ZUN catered to China in any sort of way, which he hasn't since Touhou's fanbase is largely Japanese with expanses over Asia in general and (hopefully) a blooming western fanbase, especially if she manages to get into Smash. I'd say it's still a largely different circumstance compared to, say, Tracer's chances of being in Smash if anything.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
All this tag team stuff could line up with the Milk Bosatu leaks. Remember those?
They said the female character isn't Reimu but has a flying weapon and Japanese clothes.
None of the female background characters in the King Of Fighters stadium had any flying weapons.
Perhaps the leaker was looking at Reimu's tag team partner.
Milk Bosatu's leaks were pretty accurate at some things like an Akira Koriyama character getting in and this being the Dragon Quest hero without female alts and the Nintendo VR (though the VR was rumored earlier).
I honestly think if the Milk Bosatsu leak's legit then he must've got a vague look at the character, enough so to presume it was Reimu but backtracked and claimed it was Nakoruru instead after finding out the 4th DLC character was going to be from SNK in order to make himself seem more creditable as a leaker. Course I don't really have much faith in what he said, but still.

Also that's Lunar Nights, Gensou Skydrift and AoCF that still have to make their way to the system, would be quite fun to see those announced in a direct this month followed by a certain character reveal.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Also that's Lunar Nights, Gensou Skydrift and AoCF that still have to make their way to the system, would be quite fun to see those announced in a direct this month followed by a certain character reveal.
That would be perfect indeed.

I'm told that former Nintendo staff that worked on Mario Kart Double Dash were involved with the development of Gensou Skydrift. It looks like a spiritual successor anyway, so that makes sense. That's pretty neat.

SKX31

Smash Master
It's a difficult position, certainly. Which is why I've been cautious about how I've talked about the whole deal in the Newcomer Thread, and clarified the positions there so it's not a useful tool for the dedicated detractors*. Especially since A) Nintendo's partner for the Chinese release is the really infamous Tencent, and B) Tencent wants to start producing games with Nintendo characters. The reason for the latter is a long story, but it started with a massive scandal in China leading to really harsh laws.

Still though, Nintendo's clearly aiming to expand in there. So I could def. see Reimu being on Furukawa's mind. Not just because of China, no, but perhaps part of it.

*(For example, noting that many Chinese really dislike Tencent's knock offs, and the fact that many Chinese kids are trying to circumvent the new systems limiting minors from playing more than 90 mins a day.)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just tried out Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and can I just say, I can see why Touhou is loved here. I mean, geez, I haven't played a game this challenging since Dark Souls! I'm glad grazing is a big part of Touhou, because I wouldn't have to Level 3.

Either way, sign me the hell up! I want Sakurai to donate a Smash invite to the Hakurei Shrine! I want Touhou represented in Smash! I. Want. Reimu. In. Smash!

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
So I just tried out Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and can I just say, I can see why Touhou is loved here. I mean, geez, I haven't played a game this challenging since Dark Souls! I'm glad grazing is a big part of Touhou, because I wouldn't have to Level 3.

Either way, sign me the hell up! I want Sakurai to donate a Smash invite to the Hakurei Shrine! I want Touhou represented in Smash! I. Want. Reimu. In. Smash!
If it’s the difficulty that strikes your fancy, try out Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism or Touhou 15: Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. If you want an easier beginner’s game, try out Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom or Touhou 17: Wily Beast and Weakest Creature.
By the way, holding shift slows you down (and shows your hit box in games past 6). A lot of beginners miss that in their first few runs.

Last edited:

EDEN_TO_INFINITY

Smash Rookie
I would be absolutely ecstatic to have Reimu in Smash. Touhou games are what kept me entertained through my years as a broke college kid when I couldn't really afford any other games. She'd simultaneously fit the bill as a female fighter and an excellent representative of the manic shooter genre. Plus, Touhou remixes in Smash can only be a good thing.

As far as first games go, in addition to the choices above, I'd also highly recommend Touhou 8: Imperishable Night. It'd widely regarded as one of the easiest to get into when you're first starting out, and the music, atmosphere, and gameplay are all really top notch. But really, you can start with just about any of them that pique your fancy. Easy mode is generally tame enough across all the games that they'll offer a moderate amount of challenge while still being reasonable for your first time playing. If a challenge is what you're after, most normal modes are still relatively doable once you've gotten a grasp on the basic mechanics of the game and you've practiced a bit.

The only one I really wouldn't recommend touching until you're pretty comfortable is Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom. Its central gimmick, Pointdevice Mode, resulted in most of the bullet patterns of the main game being made far, far more difficult and annoying than those of the other games. It is almost always regarded as the hardest game in the series, and it's also my least favorite. The game that's typically regarded as the second hardest, Subterranean Animism, is actually my personal favorite, and I feel that it handles difficulty in a much better manner.

I guess to keep the conversation going in the lull between character reveals, what about you guys? Do you have any personal favorites out of the games in the series?

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Do you have any personal favorites out of the games in the series?
It's EoSD for me. Not only my favorite Touhou but also one of my favorite games in general. I'll never forget the first time I managed to reach the good ending on Normal mode and got to listen to the wonderful staff roll theme.
Though recently I've been trying to get into DDC. Wanted to give the game another try after angrily deleting it in 2014, haha. It also has one of the few extra stages I'm still missing so there is something to keep me motivated at least.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
In the same boat as Rikarte. EoSD, while having technical difficulties as the first windows iteration, it is still my all time favorite. That feeling of getting the good ending after hours of trying many years ago was just so satisfying that I still get goosebumbs whenever I hear the credits theme. Fantastic characters, music, gameplay and still visually pleasing to look at, even if the character portraits weren't artistic masterpieces. It was my first contact with the series and after that I just had to complete each and every game in the series.

Hard to pin down multiple favorites though as I deem all the games fantastic, well, except for 1, 3 and 9. The first one is a Breakout clone. Played though it once but really didn't like it. 3 and 9 are the two player shmups with a cheating AI that kills itself on a specific timer. Might be fun against a human player but no one of my friends is into Touhou or shmups. As a solo player I prefer handcrafted stages and bosses. Though, if I had to pin it down it would probably be Subterranean Animism, Mystic Square and Imperisable Night.

As a sidenote: If you play with keyboard but struggle playing with the arrow keys, I recommend autohotkey to remap the keys. Was a godsend for me as someone who grew up with WASD. Controller is possible as well but it held me back due to imprecise movement.

If Reimu gets into Smash, the hardest challenge awaits. A no miss run at EVO, where you basically have to Jv4 each and every opponent.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I guess to keep the conversation going in the lull between character reveals, what about you guys? Do you have any personal favorites out of the games in the series?
Might not be en vogue to admit it, but I'm more of a secondary fan, honestly, and most of my fondness for the series comes from the setting, the characters, and fan-works.
I'm actually not into shmups, so the only official titles that I've really latched onto at all have been the fighting games.
Of those, Hisoutensoku was the one I gravitated most to, though even then it's been a long while since I've touched it.

While I'm not one to actually play the mainline titles, the ones I like the most in terms of character, music, and story are probably EoSD, IN, MoF, and SA.

Alla wala town

Smash Rookie
Might not be en vogue to admit it, but I'm more of a secondary fan, honestly, and most of my fondness for the series comes from the setting, the characters, and fan-works.
I'm actually not into shmups, so the only official titles that I've really latched onto at all have been the fighting games.
Of those, Hisoutensoku was the one I gravitated most to, though even then it's been a long while since I've touched it.

While I'm not one to actually play the mainline titles, the ones I like the most in terms of character, music, and story are probably EoSD, IN, MoF, and SA.
Well, I would say that this actually represents a big part of the Touhou fandom. For example, look at all the excellent Touhou memes and fanfictions there are on youtube and google, pretty sure they have more views than anything directly related to the games themselves.

In my case, I got introduced to the community by my friend who showed me a popular Touhou meme song "cirno's perfect math class" by IOSYS and got pretty addicted to the song. I then looked for a ****ton of good Touhou fan-made music but wasn't really part of the fandom for about a whole year. It was only after that that I began really delving into the characters, the world and the lore behind Touhou and got only more and more addicted. To this day, I have only played 2 games from the series but consider myself a huge Touhou fan that would cream my pants if I saw Reimu getting in smash.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
IN is definitely my favorite out of all the ones I've played. The atmosphere is top-notch, the music is amazing, it's got the best playable roster of the series, and you can fight Reimu and Marisa! Doesn't get any better than that. HSiFS would actually probably be second for me so far. If MoF had real bombs I'd say that one as second, but the dinky hula hoop bombs just don't measure up.

D

Deleted member

How many other characters can say they have Walmart backing them being in Smash? None! Thank you Walmart, lmao what even is going on anymore I love this.
Walmart is like, the last place you want to turn to in terms of speculation lmao

D

Deleted member

Watch Reimu get in and Walmart become the next hotly-followed twitter account for potential character leaks instead of Ben or Sabi, ahah
Wouldn't pour my money on it but okay.

Been watching some Touhou content to pass the time, holy **** this franchise is sick.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't pour my money on it but okay.

Been watching some Touhou content to pass the time, holy **** this franchise is sick.
100% worth giving the games a shot too! Bullethell games are seriously super fun, if not punishing as all hell.

Ah- I wanted to give my opinion on my favorite Touhou games in response to the posts earlier on this page. I love every game in the series but I think my personal favorites at this point would have to be LoLK and WBaWC. LoLK is so ball-bustingly difficult but insanely fun to play all the while, I will never not feel proud of beating Clownpiece after it took me like 40 minutes of continuous trial and error. It also has one of the best OSTs in the series hands down, Pure Furies is such a fantastic stage 6 boss theme and the fight itself is really good too. I also just love how ZUN threw such a big curveball with the plot when we were mostly expecting it to be the main girls going up against the Lunarians, only for the real antagonists to be invaders from Hell including a fairy dressed in the American flag and a Goddess that looked like she'd came right out of Hot Topic.

WBaWC has such an incredibly fun tone on top of it having a pretty unique OST as far as the mainline games go, playing through the game going with expectations of a more serious story only to find out it could basically be summarized as the gang interfering with yakuza-style gangster disputes and toppling a human uprising all on the same day reminded me of why I'm so in love with the series and it's unique yet extremely memorable sense of world-building and creating fun characters. Also the stage 6 boss fight and her theme are just ridiculously good, ZUN really pulled out all stops with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0VYKbTSxu0 Plus admittedly part of my love for the game comes from my bias since it's the first game in the series I've bought physically from Comiket this year, it was hell on earth but getting to meet ZUN in person and come back with a copy of the game signed by him has been my goal for years now.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
So I noticed I'm not on the list. Did I not sign up to support Reimu or something? I call shenanigans!

D

Deleted member

100% worth giving the games a shot too! Bullethell games are seriously super fun, if not punishing as all hell.

Ah- I wanted to give my opinion on my favorite Touhou games in response to the posts earlier on this page. I love every game in the series but I think my personal favorites at this point would have to be LoLK and WBaWC. LoLK is so ball-bustingly difficult but insanely fun to play all the while, I will never not feel proud of beating Clownpiece after it took me like 40 minutes of continuous trial and error. It also has one of the best OSTs in the series hands down, Pure Furies is such a fantastic stage 6 boss theme and the fight itself is really good too. I also just love how ZUN threw such a big curveball with the plot when we were mostly expecting it to be the main girls going up against the Lunarians, only for the real antagonists to be invaders from Hell including a fairy dressed in the American flag and a Goddess that looked like she'd came right out of Hot Topic.

WBaWC has such an incredibly fun tone on top of it having a pretty unique OST as far as the mainline games go, playing through the game going with expectations of a more serious story only to find out it could basically be summarized as the gang interfering with yakuza-style gangster disputes and toppling a human uprising all on the same day reminded me of why I'm so in love with the series and it's unique yet extremely memorable sense of world-building and creating fun characters. Also the stage 6 boss fight and her theme are just ridiculously good, ZUN really pulled out all stops with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0VYKbTSxu0 Plus admittedly part of my love for the game comes from my bias since it's the first game in the series I've bought physically from Comiket this year, it was hell on earth but getting to meet ZUN in person and come back with a copy of the game signed by him has been my goal for years now.
Eh, I'll give it the same treatment I gave pre-Smash SNK. I didn;t focus on it too much, then Terry came and I just immersed myself completely into the franchise. As for Touhou...well...let's just wait and see.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How many other characters can say they have Walmart backing them being in Smash? None! Thank you Walmart, lmao what even is going on anymore I love this.
They backed Geno, too. Pretty cool.

-and, uh, hello everyone. I haven’t played Touhou, but I am interested and would like to see Reimu get in; I think she’s cool, and Touhou’s music rocks. I’ve kinda been a lurker in this thread for a bit since that one doujin “leak,” seeing if anything is going on; y’all can count me as a supporter :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
So what mii costumes would you all want if Reimu gets in.

I just want an Utsuho Gunner. That’s it.
I would love that. Okuu is one of my faves. A tewi brawler would be nice as well, as she is my fav.

We better have a Tenshi sword fighter though

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I would love that. Okuu is one of my faves. A tewi brawler would be nice as well, as she is my fav.

We better have a Tenshi sword fighter though
Tenshi would be perfect. I think Marisa should get one too if she doesn't show up with Reimu in some manner, as she's pretty much next to her in protagonism.

Personally, I think a Mokou brawler would be cool.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie

I think a mob cap would be a good choice seeing as it fits Remilia, Flandre, Patchouli, Yukari, Ran, and Chen (not exactly the same, but it's the same type of hat).

For full costumes, I'd choose a Miko Swordfighter and a Byakuren Brawler. That way we get the other two religion reps to compliment Reimu.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Even if Marisa appears as a taunt/FS/what have you, she should definitely get a costume. I'm thinking as follows (this is my opinion on likelihood, not wants):
- Marisa Gunner
- Sanae Gunner
- Youmu Swordfighter
- Sakuya Swordfighter
- Yukari Brawler
- Kasen Brawler

I'd love a Joon Brawler, but that's probably not in the cards.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Tenshi would be perfect. I think Marisa should get one too if she doesn't show up with Reimu in some manner, as she's pretty much next to her in protagonism.

Personally, I think a Mokou brawler would be cool.
The Brawler even has Mokou's fire kick, she would fit so perfectly
I hope at least all the other playable humans are getting outfits. Marisa would work well as a Gunner with the Mini-Hakkero on her arm and Sakuya, Youmu and Sanae could all be Swordfighters.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hey, I just came across a reupload of my all time favorite Touhou video. Too bad all the views are gone now where the original has been terminated. It really is a shame, so many historic Touhou channels have been destroyed within the last couple of years...
Anyway, please enjoy~

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Oh if we're posting our favorite videos, I've been listening to this on and off again a ton recently. Honestly prefer it over Bad Apple, god this track is fantastic.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Nerfnow has a Reimu comic up(not for smash just general Reimu

4119.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom