• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zferolie

Smash Hero
This was posted on the KOSMOS thread but it ties to our girl reimu too

Potential game awards leak? KOS-MOS is there but.... other stuff is interesting

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/486057606

>The cult SNES game Clock Tower is getting a remaster, set for release in 2020.
>Kingdom Hearts 3 Re: Mind is getting another trailer, getting delayed to January 2020.
>SMT V is finally gonna get shown off again, after 2 years of waiting.
>The final character of the fighter pass is KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, then they reveal that 4 additional characters are being planned for 2020.
>A new game from the makers of Gone Home is gonna get revealed, don't know what it's called tho.
>A pack of Vocaloid songs are gonna get added to Beat Saber after the awards show.
>Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC exclusively on EGS.

We haven't seen SMT V for years.... it's a really great time for people to get back into it. KH3 DLC delay is very believable. This is SE we are talking about here. I'm not sure about Horizon Zero dawn PC but Death Stranding is coming to PC so that's always a huge possibility. Clock tower is a game people forgot about and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get remastered.

4 additional fighters would line up with the rule of 3 theory and Cat leak.
Who knows if this is real or not, but around now these game award leaks start happening. If KOSMOS happens, and she honestly is more and more likely, that is a big plus towards reimu due to that leak saying kosmos and reimu were coming

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Who knows if this is real or not, but around now these game award leaks start happening. If KOSMOS happens, and she honestly is more and more likely, that is a big plus towards reimu due to that leak saying kosmos and reimu were coming
Would be pretty neat but is Game Awards stuff usually leaked? I don't think they have a list of all the stuff being revealed; I imagine it would be a list of companies presenting and in what order, not like "Nintendo showing KOS-MOS at 10pm". If someone were to know all that info, they'd have to know people in lots of different companies.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Seems more like a random post to me. Still 3 weeks to go until the event goes live and the votes for the nominees are still pending, which leads me to believe that the lineup for reveals is still not set in stone yet. The different companies know what they want to present of course but I doubt that the staff at TGA has details on that, which is why I don't believe that anyone knows every reveal at the TGA yet.

But thats the problem with "leaks" and why I don't like them. You can neither prove nor disprove them until it gets live. I'm still holding unto the notion that its still anyone's game. Maybe we get the kid from Super Pang/Super Buster Bros. Who knows?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Eh, let's not put too much stock in random 4chan text leaks. Especially TGA stuff, they're usually pretty locked up tight when it comes to reveals

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
No "Big Marring" reveal? SMT V getting a mention at all? Yeah that's a fake leak. That said, KOSMOS would be an awesome addition, her design is very cool.

Last edited:

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
We’re 3 weeks away from game awards. We should be expecting a mass of fake leaks at every corner. Even if it fits our biases, we should be doubting before believing.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Random 4chan posts aren't even worth reposting, honestly. I could go on /v/ right now and make a "leak" that Wriggle Nightbug is FP5. This kind of stuff is only worth going through in hindsight.

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Not that I think this means anything by itself, but this was a thing that apparently happened:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pretty sure this piece of news doesn't say much of anything for any character's chances, but I think it's interesting enough that this even came up and was documented.

The article linked in the tweet has the translation for Sakurai's statements as "Today I also made things in the company, such as a fighter whom hasn’t been known by everybody yet. And I came here after the work has ended."

"Whom hasn't been known by everybody yet" is an awfully vague way of wording it, and can be interpreted in several different directions. So yea, I don't have much to say about this.

"Local video game developer found developing for his video game" may as well be the headline to me, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not that I think this means anything by itself, but this was a thing that apparently happened:

Pretty sure this piece of news doesn't say much of anything for any character's chances, but I think it's interesting enough that this even came up and was documented.

"Local video game developer found developing for his video game" may as well be the headline to me, lol.
Yeah it's pretty much just saying that Sakurai went to work but that's his job so of course he went to work. I think it's absolutely nothing at least.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

The article linked in the tweet has the translation for Sakurai's statements as "Today I also made things in the company, such as a fighter whom hasn’t been known by everybody yet. And I came here after the work has ended."

"Whom hasn't been known by everybody yet" is an awfully vague way of wording it, and can be interpreted in several different directions. So yea, I don't have much to say about this.

A good number of us were poking fun at the Captain Obvious nature of the tweet, but it could be referring to something else entirely. Remember the Rule of Three theory? Where three characters are worked at a time? What if he means the first Post-Pass character?

D

Deleted member

A good number of us were poking fun at the Captain Obvious nature of the tweet, but it could be referring to something else entirely. Remember the Rule of Three theory? Where three characters are worked at a time? What if he means the first Post-Pass character?
If we're including Piranha Plant, Joker and Hero as three then that would make Banjo, Terry and #5 the second batch. If we exclude Piranha Plant that would either mean he's working on the first or second post-pass DLC character.

Maybe if this theory is correct he's starting the third "batch" of characters. That or it's a load of nothing and it's just Captain Obvious over there cause I don't see the need for them to single out the second post-pass DLC character if we're not including PPlant as apart of the first "batch".

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If we're including Piranha Plant, Joker and Hero as three then that would make Banjo, Terry and #5 the second batch. If we exclude Piranha Plant that would either mean he's working on the first or second post-pass DLC character.

Maybe if this theory is correct he's starting the third "batch" of characters. That or it's a load of nothing and it's just Captain Obvious over there cause I don't see the need for them to single out the second post-pass DLC character if we're not including PPlant as apart of the first "batch".
At the least, we won't be calling out names any time soon. We can only assume he's hinting at something mundane, yet intriguing. It just seems odd of him to point out something so mind-numbingly simple. Then again... trying to make sense of his tweet is probably best left alone.
The_Ancient_One_Logic.jpg

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Reminder to vote for ZUN or any other character you'd like to see win in SiIvaGunner's King for Another Day Tournament!
And we're immediately getting greeted with an over 6 minute long medley of the best spin-off game!

Troykv

Smash Master
The current season of DLC Speculation is quite intriguing, we're so far from the days where everyone was desperately waiting for Roto/Eirdrick/Hero because everything pointed at him.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So, Chapter 1 of Lotus Eater was actually really good. The story hook is solid & the art is probably the best I've seen in any of the official manga, and FS & WaHH were by no means bad in that department. I'd encourage all of you guys to give it a read.

The current season of DLC Speculation is quite intriguing, we're so far from the days where everyone was desperately waiting for Roto/Eirdrick/Hero because everything pointed at him.
Makes things a lot more interesting, doesn't it!

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Already done so. Was pretty hyped for new mangas to hit the scene and they delivered. The detective Satori one is fun but damn, Lotus Eater hooked me. Miyoi is cute and uncanny at the same time.

Lets see who will aid Reimu in solving this one as I don't see Reimu getting far with the seemingly memory altering ability.

D019

Smash Cadet
Reminder to vote for ZUN or any other character you'd like to see win in SiIvaGunner's King for Another Day Tournament!
And we're immediately getting greeted with an over 6 minute long medley of the best spin-off game!

A close one, but touhou won this round

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
With a Resident Evil rep being deconfirmed out of nowhere today, it surprises me just how many characters have been "deconfirmed" by leakers and yet nothing at all has been said about Reimu's chances by any of them despite the doujin leak still standing strong without being deconfirmed yet either. Hot damn, our girl's rocking it with style currently.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Could be viewed from both angles. Maybe it's because Reimu isn't important or relevant enough, so why bother even mentioning it. These discussions are held in the western hemisphere and Reimu is for the majority of people just "some anime chick".

Sure, it may be the pessimist in me speaking but I still deem Reimu to be unlikely. That said, her inclusion would literally blow my mind. (and also lose me a bet)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

My thoughts on this, I think it's fake. It lacks Arkham Legacy which really should be revealed soon if all the rumors are anything to go by. I hate to use "Lacks x so fake" but this is a different story.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Could be viewed from both angles. Maybe it's because Reimu isn't important or relevant enough, so why bother even mentioning it. These discussions are held in the western hemisphere and Reimu is for the majority of people just "some anime chick".

Sure, it may be the pessimist in me speaking but I still deem Reimu to be unlikely. That said, her inclusion would literally blow my mind. (and also lose me a bet)
I sincerely doubt relevancy would matter, especially in the West, when characters like Goemon got a mii costume and so on. Also consider that the DLC pass so far has predominately featured characters more popular in the East than the West, which makes sense, Smash is a Japanese game done by a Japanese developer.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I sincerely doubt relevancy would matter, especially in the West, when characters like Goemon got a mii costume and so on. Also consider that the DLC pass so far has predominately featured characters more popular in the East than the West, which makes sense, Smash is a Japanese game done by a Japanese developer.
You are mixing stuff up. My first statement wasn't about her chances in getting in. I was addressing your point about the "deconfirming" of characters and how fans and leakers are speaking, or in this case not speaking, about Reimu. And in this case, the relevancy certainly does matter as more people are asking for it and leaks for the character are more interesting, giving an incentive for leakers to talk about it.

My second statement was meant to clarify that my seemingly pessimistic viewpoint is due to my disbelieve of her actually getting into smash. Though I am sorry that I may have worded that poorly.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
You are mixing stuff up. My first statement wasn't about her chances in getting in. I was addressing your point about the "deconfirming" of characters and how fans and leakers are speaking, or in this case not speaking, about Reimu. And in this case, the relevancy certainly does matter as more people are asking for it and leaks for the character are more interesting, giving an incentive for leakers to talk about it.

My second statement was meant to clarify that my seemingly pessimistic viewpoint is due to my disbelieve of her actually getting into smash. Though I am sorry that I may have worded that poorly.
Oh sorry! I got the wrong idea from reading your post ahah, ignore what I said in that case. Still I do see what you're saying, I find it funny now how the western-relevancy argument is starting to get challenged as well since Reimu supporters have gotten way more vocal over the past months, even got some bigger Smash players jumping on the train. That and how uncontested Reimu has been over the past few weeks really is starting to give me hope for her inclusion. I don't see her being FP5 unless we somehow get a reveal before the Game Awards, but otherwise I think she's becoming more and more of a possibility for the next fighter pass over just once being a pipe-dream.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, seeing how even Alphared has put #ReimuForAmash in his video really does paint a different picture as of late. I guess many people are just downplaying it because they are not "in" when it comes to Touhou. But then again, the majority of players are still the silent type, keeping off of forums and media. Its hard to generalise in this matter and at the end of the day irrelevant.

Most important is Sakurai's (and maybe a few more stakeholder in the background) viewpoint of this and Reimu certainly does check all his criteria with the given benefit that ZUN would probably give the licence without any hassle.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I still think Reimu's very unlikely, but with every major franchise assumed by many to be a surefire lock that bites the dust, her chances look better and better.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
12 hours later and I still cannot believe Dante and Resident Evil got deconfirmed for fighter 5 in the same day. That just seems so wild to me. Speculation for a character has rarely ever seemed as "lost" as it is now. I already put my bets on a Bamco or Capcom character months ago, but it's starting to feel that's becoming less likely by the day. I'm not convinced Reimu is fighter 5, but I really think it's going to be a character that blindsides the general community at this point.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, was a crazy morning having so many hopes shattered in such a short amount of time.

Still 2 weeks to go so I'm interested what kind of information we gonna get, if any at all. With so many deconfirmed characters, there is not much else left to purge.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We are in uncharted territory. I think judging by what has been going on, its either a Namco character(mostly due to no namco mii costumes have returned yet), or a niche unknown. An indie character is possible. Shantae and Reimu are the top choices there i think. For Namco i think KOSMOS is above a tales of character, mostly due to it seems sakurai wants to add characters that add something new and ones he likes. We know he loves the xeno series, and KOSMOS crosses over in a lot of games. Plus she would be unique.

But really, we have what, 2 weeks left till the awards? We will know for sure then

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm honestly not surprised that RE got deconfirmed. I love the series, but RE characters aren't great fits for Smash, and don't necessarily have a lot of unique gameplay to offer with Snake already occupying the "realistic human with explosive weaponry" niche.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with 11 characters near confirmed left, what is your wishlist of those 11?

1. Shantae. The little indie gal that keeps going. Would bring a very fun unique playstyle with her magic, hair whips, and more dancing playstyle with a bonus of transformations.

2. Reimu Hakurei. The top doujin/indie girl from japan. She has a long rangebif games, includingnfighting games, and a large doujin community. She would bring a very unique playstyle with a bullet hell type of gameplay.

3. Geno. The last big fan request that isnt a assist trophy. Been wanted since melee, and i think he will be in maybe even as just the last one as a big finale.

4. Crash. The last of the big 90s mascot rivalry missing in this game. With a new game supposedly coming its his time to shone. Can be not as unique as some of the others but more an ode to classic crash, like Banjo was. The reveal can be a parody of the old smash commercial too.

5. KOS-MOS. I think she would be a great new Xeno rep, and a good Namco rep. She is pretty well known, and can bring a fun mecha style gameplay to smash, and she is one of the faces of Namco.

6. Rex and Pyra. I know they are just a mii costume and spirit now but i really think Sakurao wanted them in if they were just slightly sooner. Plus i think they would a very fun first true tag team character in the game, swapping between rex and pyra like the dlc played.

7. Rythm Girl. Rythm heaven was a fun game, and she would be a very fun character that can pull from all the mini games.

8. Doomslayer. Quite different from my other picks, but i think he really deserves to be in smash, as the grandaddy of all fps. I used to think he needs his violence but he can be made to fit in smash while being more brutal in his motions without being grusome.

9. Dixie Kong. She is one of the last remaining brawl missing character left, and she could be quite fun to play as. Using her hair differently then shantae, and maybe having some animal buddys and her guitar.

10. Paper Mario. Paper mario games were fantastic and paper Mario could be a very unique player. Using his hammer for his main attacks, having allies for his specials or like pac man that he can choose which ally he pulls out.

11. Issac. I loved the golden sun games, and other then Geno he has been one of the most fan requested characters for years. If any assist trophy is getting an upgrade i think he deserves it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

1. Shantae. The little indie gal that keeps going. Would bring a very fun unique playstyle with her magic, hair whips, and more dancing playstyle with a bonus of transformations.

2. Reimu Hakurei. The top doujin/indie girl from japan. She has a long rangebif games, includingnfighting games, and a large doujin community. She would bring a very unique playstyle with a bullet hell type of gameplay.

3. Geno. The last big fan request that isnt a assist trophy. Been wanted since melee, and i think he will be in maybe even as just the last one as a big finale.

4. Crash. The last of the big 90s mascot rivalry missing in this game. With a new game supposedly coming its his time to shone. Can be not as unique as some of the others but more an ode to classic crash, like Banjo was. The reveal can be a parody of the old smash commercial too.

5. KOS-MOS. I think she would be a great new Xeno rep, and a good Namco rep. She is pretty well known, and can bring a fun mecha style gameplay to smash, and she is one of the faces of Namco.

6. Rex and Pyra. I know they are just a mii costume and spirit now but i really think Sakurao wanted them in if they were just slightly sooner. Plus i think they would a very fun first true tag team character in the game, swapping between rex and pyra like the dlc played.

7. Rythm Girl. Rythm heaven was a fun game, and she would be a very fun character that can pull from all the mini games.

8. Doomslayer. Quite different from my other picks, but i think he really deserves to be in smash, as the grandaddy of all fps. I used to think he needs his violence but he can be made to fit in smash while being more brutal in his motions without being grusome.

9. Dixie Kong. She is one of the last remaining brawl missing character left, and she could be quite fun to play as. Using her hair differently then shantae, and maybe having some animal buddys and her guitar.

10. Paper Mario. Paper mario games were fantastic and paper Mario could be a very unique player. Using his hammer for his main attacks, having allies for his specials or like pac man that he can choose which ally he pulls out.

11. Issac. I loved the golden sun games, and other then Geno he has been one of the most fan requested characters for years. If any assist trophy is getting an upgrade i think he deserves it.
11 is pretty tough! I don't think I could come up with 11 characters that I'm genuinely passionate about. My shortlist would be Andy or Sami, Reimu, Octoling, a Pearl & Marina tag character, and Edelgard.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Here is a little reminder that even if Reimu doesn't get in, at least we will get our own Smash game eventually one day!
It's really cool that those guys managed to find more developers thanks to the Reimu-Smash hype.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman

Didn't really thought about it much but after entering this speculation bubble, some came up. Mostly the games I spent the most time with.

1. Reimu
I'm a big Touhou fan so its obviously Touhou I'm rooting for. It is one of the few franchises that I followed for almost 10 years now, still going strong and had a significant impact on my life. Reimu wouldn't be my first choice but it doesn't make sense putting someone else there. She is the face of the series and has a wide array of unique abilities, which 2 already existing fighting games have already demonstrated. Who else is more fitting than the fetishized armpit fantasy of yore?

2. Nameless Undead - Dark Souls
No a likely one but still an interesting character nonetheless. He/she could be implemented to switch between weapons/builds alá Soul of Cinder and offer a unique style that is more than swordie with magic. I've played through all of From Softwares Soulsbone games multiple times so it is another franchise that I care about. Not sure how the ressurection mechanic could be implemented but still, a Dark Souls rep. would be nice.

3. Monster Hunter
Another franchise that I've put way to much time in. We already have Rathalos as a boss and the series wants to focus on the monsters, not the hunters. Still, the hunter brings so much on the table with so many different weapontypes. With so many games on Nintendo platforms, it would surprise me if we wouldn't see the Monster Hunter at some point.

4. Marina Liteyears - Mischief Makers
Alright, this one is a bit out there. An obscure platformer for the N64 not many have heard of, but its still a game I hold dearly. It was one of the games I got with my N64 and just loved it. It became almost a habit playing through the game every now and then. Not sure how shaking your enemy makes for an interesting fighting concept but hearing Marina say "shake shake" every time you grab an enemy would be hilarious.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Didn't really thought about it much but after entering this speculation bubble, some came up. Mostly the games I spent the most time with.

1. Reimu
I'm a big Touhou fan so its obviously Touhou I'm rooting for. It is one of the few franchises that I followed for almost 10 years now, still going strong and had a significant impact on my life. Reimu wouldn't be my first choice but it doesn't make sense putting someone else there. She is the face of the series and has a wide array of unique abilities, which 2 already existing fighting games have already demonstrated. Who else is more fitting than the fetishized armpit fantasy of yore?

2. Nameless Undead - Dark Souls
No a likely one but still an interesting character nonetheless. He/she could be implemented to switch between weapons/builds alá Soul of Cinder and offer a unique style that is more than swordie with magic. I've played through all of From Softwares Soulsbone games multiple times so it is another franchise that I care about. Not sure how the ressurection mechanic could be implemented but still, a Dark Souls rep. would be nice.

3. Monster Hunter
Another franchise that I've put way to much time in. We already have Rathalos as a boss and the series wants to focus on the monsters, not the hunters. Still, the hunter brings so much on the table with so many different weapontypes. With so many games on Nintendo platforms, it would surprise me if we wouldn't see the Monster Hunter at some point.

4. Marina Liteyears - Mischief Makers
Alright, this one is a bit out there. An obscure platformer for the N64 not many have heard of, but its still a game I hold dearly. It was one of the games I got with my N64 and just loved it. It became almost a habit playing through the game every now and then. Not sure how shaking your enemy makes for an interesting fighting concept but hearing Marina say "shake shake" every time you grab an enemy would be hilarious.
Very solid choices. People have discarded the Hunter as a possible character way too early imo and Mischief Makers would be awesome!

Top Bottom