• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
In all seriousness though, there is some foul **** out there. Some ******* on /v/ got so fed up with Reimuposting that he made it his life's mission to post the most vile yukkuri abuse out there in Smash threads just to spite supporters. It's such a stupid crusade and a wonder why people bother drawing **** like that.

For those sweet summer children on this thread who have just gotten into Touhou, please don't look up yukkuri abuse. Seriously... It's all shock for shock value's sake.
hell be careful looking up yukkuri stuff in general.
If Reimu DOES get in, I will PERSONALLY commission fanart of a bunch of various Yukkuri's hugging/rubbing Reimu while she is leaning back on the ground holding her Smash Invitation, all of them congratulating her.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I would absolutely love if bkub chen got in as a spirit. Honk honk

:nifty:

In all seriousness though, there is some foul **** out there. Some ******* on /v/ got so fed up with Reimuposting that he made it his life's mission to post the most vile yukkuri abuse out there in Smash threads just to spite supporters. It's such a stupid crusade and a wonder why people bother drawing **** like that.

For those sweet summer children on this thread who have just gotten into Touhou, please don't look up yukkuri abuse. Seriously... It's all shock for shock value's sake.
I saw that. I'm fine with bullying yukkuri since they deserve it for being little ****s, but abuse is too much. They don't deserve that. lol

zferolie

Smash Hero
I always hated the abuse those things got. I always found them super cute and seeinjg so much pain they got was sad. However I found some comic years ago that was all about saving and protecting those yukuri, and I loved that comic. sadly i don't know it anymore.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
:nifty:

I saw that. I'm fine with bullying yukkuri since they deserve it for being little ****s, but abuse is too much. They don't deserve that. lol
Nah, I get it. It's the whole Minions and Rabbids perception they get sometimes that justifies poking fun at them from time to time. That's The Scrappy for you (for as much as you can call them that, anyway). However... as Red Hood puts it in Injustice 2...
Red_Hood_Says.jpg

Last edited:

Lolishy

Smash Rookie
I recently attended MCM London Comic Con and found four Touhou games being played on Xbox One with their own stands.
I didn't get to try any of them since I was in a rush to fight people on Smash but I did take a few pics.

Gensou Skydrift
Azure Reflections
3rd Eye
Luna Nights

I'm not sure if they were in English and I apologise for the not-so-good pictures but yeah.
Since they were being played on Xbox Ones, it could be a sign that more Touhou games on Switch will be translated.

https://imgur.com/a/rsgdTYD

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I recently attended MCM London Comic Con and found four Touhou games being played on Xbox One with their own stands.
I didn't get to try any of them since I was in a rush to fight people on Smash but I did take a few pics.

Gensou Skydrift
Azure Reflections
3rd Eye
Luna Nights

I'm not sure if they were in English and I apologise for the not-so-good pictures but yeah.
Since they were being played on Xbox Ones, it could be a sign that more Touhou games on Switch will be translated.

https://imgur.com/a/W2tthQ1
Thanks for sharing!
I was visiting a con earlier this month too and they had a stand with Imperishable Night and Mountainof Faith. It's always pretty neat to see Touhou stuff in the west.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Ah yeah! I remember Tweets by UNTIES that they had these there. Here are more pics of their booths: https://twitter.com/UNTIESWORLD

These games were already confirmed to release on the Nintendo Switch. Theyre not planned to be released on Xbox One though.
Maybe they simply used XBox controllers anyways, or they run them on a computer.

Azure Reflections is already available on the Switch in English
Luna Nights and 3rd Eye does have an English version for PC and is planned to release on the Nintendo Switch.
Genso SkyDrift has an english Nintendo Switch trailer that implies an english release.

Last edited:

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Ayo! It's me, the Reimu For Smash Twitter guy! Just popping into the thread to see what's up and if there's things I missed in my various tweets that would make sense to tweet out. I try and stay on top with all this Reimu stuff.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ayo! It's me, the Reimu For Smash Twitter guy! Just popping into the thread to see what's up and if there's things I missed in my various tweets that would make sense to tweet out. I try and stay on top with all this Reimu stuff.
Welcome to Smashboards! And most importantly, welcome to the support thread! Enjoy your stay here!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How much do japanese people want Reimu?

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
From what I have gathered. It's a mixed bag. She's like the west's Sans situation but in Japan. There are people who genuinely want her because they think she'd be awesome. Then there are others who want her in because it'd be funny. Then there's people who don't want her in because "I don't want meme character in!" Then for us, it's like how Sans was for them where everyone who wants the character in thinks they'd be a really cool indie rep.

It's actually pretty funny.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
From what I have gathered. It's a mixed bag. She's like the west's Sans situation but in Japan. There are people who genuinely want her because they think she'd be awesome. Then there are others who want her in because it'd be funny. Then there's people who don't want her in because "I don't want meme character in!" Then for us, it's like how Sans was for them where everyone who wants the character in thinks they'd be a really cool indie rep.

Touhou certainly is more memetic over there.

Edit: Makes me wonder if she'll get a costume like Sans then.

Last edited:

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Makes me wonder if she'll get a costume like Sans then.
With the patterns we've been getting (I know I know "MUH PATTERNS"), Reimu is the most likely indie to be a fighter. I don't see her becoming a Mii costume, however, I'll be okay with it.

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
Hey there! Glad that you've stopped by. Just wanted to say that I follow your Twitter and appreciate the support you've been giving for Reimu in Smash and Touhou in general. I think it's incredible how much your Twitter has exploded over the last couple of months.

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Hey there! Glad that you've stopped by. Just wanted to say that I follow your Twitter and appreciate the support you've been giving for Reimu in Smash and Touhou in general. I think it's incredible how much your Twitter has exploded over the last couple of months.
Thanks for the greeting!
I'm surprised with how much its blown up too! I might have to do the follower rankings again in November since I'm nearing another 500 milestone so like. wew

Maybe one day I'll pass Bandana Dee? Haha just kidding! ...unless?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I might not be the best person to answer that, Ayumi would be ideal, but I will say it's kinda difficult for westerners to tell. For a long time, we kinda assumed they didn't since most times she was brought up on 2chan they dismissed her as a joke. Looking back, it's pretty clear that's typical message board shenanigans, but for a long while that was our only insight. Besides which, Touhou never really had a presence on Japanses polls, the 2015 SG poll comes to mind here, so it lent support to the idea that she wasn't popular. And to an extent I think that's still true... among smash fans. Again this should be confirmed by someone actually in Japan or at least more in the know of Japanese gaming fan communities, but I get the sense that similar to the west there isn't all too much crossover between the hardcore smash and touhou communities. Sure, Japanese smashers are more likely to be familiar with touhou and most touhou fans over there seems to like Nintendo well enough considering how many fan games are "loving homages" of old Nintendo titles, I'm just not feeling the overlap. However, another component is probably until very recently Reimu probably wasn't confirmed to be a viable option, or at least wasn't broadly considered. Since ZUN said he was interested in working towards touhou in smash, support seems to have exploded. From what little I've seen in Japanses comments sections and message boards, and make no mistake it is a very small sample size, people seem to be at least open to the idea, if not overly enthusiastic.

Still, if Ayumi comes around they'll give the best answer, unless I guess if Venus happens to be lurking idk

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the greeting!
I'm surprised with how much its blown up too! I might have to do the follower rankings again in November since I'm nearing another 500 milestone so like. wew

Maybe one day I'll pass Bandana Dee? Haha just kidding! ...unless?

Actually, around how many followers have you gained since the "leaks" started getting passed around?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I might not be the best person to answer that, Ayumi would be ideal, but I will say it's kinda difficult for westerners to tell. For a long time, we kinda assumed they didn't since most times she was brought up on 2chan they dismissed her as a joke. Looking back, it's pretty clear that's typical message board shenanigans, but for a long while that was our only insight. Besides which, Touhou never really had a presence on Japanses polls, the 2015 SG poll comes to mind here, so it lent support to the idea that she wasn't popular. And to an extent I think that's still true... among smash fans. Again this should be confirmed by someone actually in Japan or at least more in the know of Japanese gaming fan communities, but I get the sense that similar to the west there isn't all too much crossover between the hardcore smash and touhou communities. Sure, Japanese smashers are more likely to be familiar with touhou and most touhou fans over there seems to like Nintendo well enough considering how many fan games are "loving homages" of old Nintendo titles, I'm just not feeling the overlap. However, another component is probably until very recently Reimu probably wasn't confirmed to be a viable option, or at least wasn't broadly considered. Since ZUN said he was interested in working towards touhou in smash, support seems to have exploded. From what little I've seen in Japanses comments sections and message boards, and make no mistake it is a very small sample size, people seem to be at least open to the idea, if not overly enthusiastic.

Still, if Ayumi comes around they'll give the best answer, unless I guess if Venus happens to be lurking idk
It's funny, but questionable and even fake leaks really can influence perception of characters. I do think the things that happened for Reimu and KOS-MOS (not sure if she's still "hot" right now) definitely made people turn their heads and think of them as legit which brought supporters out of the woodwork. I know I personally never really considered Reimu a contender initially. I mean, ultimately, it doesn't have too much bearing on who gets in, but I suppose it's still nice for the fan support to be there.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's funny, but questionable and even fake leaks really can influence perception of characters. I do think the things that happened for Reimu and KOS-MOS (not sure if she's still "hot" right now) definitely made people turn their heads and think of them as legit which brought supporters out of the woodwork. I know I personally never really considered Reimu a contender initially. I mean, ultimately, it doesn't have too much bearing on who gets in, but I suppose it's still nice for the fan support to be there.
I can say that, for me, I felt Reimu had a shot around some time last year. I'm not even sure what the trigger even was. It was a similar feeling I had for Joker when the first trailer for PQ2 dropped. If I had to guess it MAY have been this trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHMwHF-0BXg), but I'm not too sure.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Touhou characters in the Smash 4 ballot, but I don't think I considered them all that likely. It was more like "you'll never get what you don't ask for" sort of sentiment, y'know? I can only hope others did the same for some early traction.

I only started to think Reimu had a real shot in early 2018 when speculation was at a fever pitch post inkling trailer, but I can't really say why. Maybe I was just listening to a lot of touhou music at the time, idk. It's been amazing to see support baloon since then, let me tell you. I actually had an irl conversation with local players about Reimu's likelihood the other day, can you believe it?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Has there been any new news since your posts on those leaks and rumors last week? Any other 2chan or 5chan stuff, or doujin circles commenting on these rumors and accusations?

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Has there been any new news since your posts on those leaks and rumors last week? Any other 2chan or 5chan stuff, or doujin circles commenting on these rumors and accusations?
Not much I've heard of. All I know is that this supports the January leak. I've been in contact with PapaGeno about this and have been giving him updates as things come out. Reimu should be appearing in his next Smash speculation video since the image artifacts were discovered. Other than that, there isn't much. We may be finding out if Reimu is Fighter 5 sooner than we thought tho.

Edit: Sabi hasn't commented on either leak too. Since Sabi is under a Cease and Desist, the fact that he isn't commenting on them despite being a character he wants and the doujin leak being put in the forefront alongside the Crash and Ryu leaks is a little sus. But what do I know? I'm just some guy who wants Reimu and will twist whatever I see into evidence for her.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not much I've heard of. All I know is that this supports the January leak. I've been in contact with PapaGeno about this and have been giving him updates as things come out. Reimu should be appearing in his next Smash speculation video since the image artifacts were discovered. Other than that, there isn't much. We may be finding out if Reimu is Fighter 5 sooner than we thought tho.

Edit: Sabi hasn't commented on either leak too. Since Sabi is under a Cease and Desist, the fact that he isn't commenting on them despite being a character he wants and the doujin leak being put in the forefront alongside the Crash and Ryu leaks is a little sus. But what do I know? I'm just some guy who wants Reimu and will twist whatever I see into evidence for her.
I look forward to that papagenos video, and if that snk copyright appearing with the next spirit event friday means anything, we may see terry and the next fighter Thursday or friday.

And it was interesting that sabi hasnt mentioned anything about reimu, but talked about the other 2 big names. Very interesting

Narp

Smash Cadet
Speculations aside, I really appreciate all the art and memes you share. And my, it's been quite the ride, these past couple weeks.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
I will now check the official Smash website every hour to see if Team Shanghai Alice appears anywhere ala the SNK leak

I know Reimu's chances of being the fifth pass fighter are pretty slim, but the hype's part of the fun

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

I think you guys are nailing it. Yeah, not that much difference in the west and here in Japan.
Since we don't have a website like Smashboards, I think the smash speculation threads in 5chan (used to be called 2chan) is where continuous discussions are going everyday. People do disscuss smash newcomers on Twitter, YouTube and Nico Nico too but only occasionally from what I can see.
There are some dedicated Touhou fans you can find in the 5chan threads but they're certainly not the majority. Because they're so into smash speculations, the second thing comes out from their mouth is "but the West". They're always very aware that the western recognition is one of key factors to join the roster. This was always the central point of discussion while the Brave speculation period, and the same thing is happening right now for characters like Arle, KOS-MOS, Monster Hunter, Tales of rep, and of course Reimu. And some people just don't want Touhou in general near smash because of the very same reason some on Smashboards says. Weeb Animu Girls.
Touhou fan communities are not active on 5chan anymore. Hardcore fans are on Futaba (you can say 5chan is the equivalent of 4chan in general, but Futaba is the one shares the same image board system with 4chan. These two are significantly different). I don't see much smash talk happening on Futaba but the reaction to that ZUN talk was quite calm. "If the shrine priest says so" was the general reaction overall. I think Twitter had the same kind of reaction too. They certainly don't want Touhou to be in the mainstream. However they do understand the decline of Touhou in the doujin scene and the generation shift. They already accepted Canonball and Lost World afterall.
I think the most genuine opinions about smash DLC you can find in the Japanese internet is YouTube's comment sections. They are the youngest of all. From what I see, most of them are welcoming Reimu with open hands. Based on the profiles of Twitter accounts and YouTube comment histories, I feel there is a gap between 20s and teenagers or more youngers. Latter aren't that vocal in smash speculation scenes anywhere, but looks like they are the one loving the idea of Touhou chracters in smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think you guys are nailing it. Yeah, not that much difference in the west and here in Japan.
Since we don't have a website like Smashboards, I think the smash speculation threads in 5chan (used to be called 2chan) is where continuous discussions are going everyday. People do disscuss smash newcomers on Twitter, YouTube and Nico Nico too but only occasionally from what I can see.
There are some dedicated Touhou fans you can find in the 5chan threads but they're certainly not the majority. Because they're so into smash speculations, the second thing comes out from their mouth is "but the West". They're always very aware that the western recognition is one of key factors to join the roster. This was always the central point of discussion while the Brave speculation period, and the same thing is happening right now for characters like Arle, KOS-MOS, Monster Hunter, Tales of rep, and of course Reimu. And some people just don't want Touhou in general near smash because of the very same reason some on Smashboards says. Weeb Animu Girls.
Touhou fan communities are not active on 5chan anymore. Hardcore fans are on Futaba (you can say 5chan is the equivalent of 4chan in general, but Futaba is the one shares the same image board system with 4chan. These two are significantly different). I don't see much smash talk happening on Futaba but the reaction to that ZUN talk was quite calm. "If the shrine priest says so" was the general reaction overall. I think Twitter had the same kind of reaction too. They certainly don't want Touhou to be in the mainstream. However they do understand the decline of Touhou in the doujin scene and the generation shift. They already accepted Canonball and Lost World afterall.
I think the most genuine opinions about smash DLC you can find in the Japanese internet is YouTube's comment sections. They are the youngest of all. From what I see, most of them are welcoming Reimu with open hands. Based on the profiles of Twitter accounts and YouTube comment histories, I feel there is a gap between 20s and teenagers or more youngers. Latter aren't that vocal in smash speculation scenes anywhere, but looks like they are the one loving the idea of Touhou chracters in smash.
Agree. It's mostly Smash's target audience anyways.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Thanks as always for the info! I do find it quite ironic that "but they're not known in the West" is actually probably a bigger strike against a character than "but they're not known in Japan" at this point. So many more of the newcomers from SSB4 onward have been Western-oriented than JP-oriented. It's quite a shift!

D

Deleted member

Thanks as always for the info! I do find it quite ironic that "but they're not known in the West" is actually probably a bigger strike against a character than "but they're not known in Japan" at this point. So many more of the newcomers from SSB4 onward have been Western-oriented than JP-oriented. It's quite a shift!
Nintendo: We'll have to cater to what others want, but anyway, here's your Banjo-Kazooie to keep you happy.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The prospect of this scares me a bit. This just makes Touhou representation in Smash that much more unlikely no matter how influential it's been to the Indie scene. Never mind some hints I heard in private regarding who Fighter #5 might be (spoiler alert: It ain't Reimu) based on insider talk. The only way she could ever be playable in Ultimate is through a miracle at this point.

Either that, or we wait for Smash 6 in a little less than a decade to see if she'll be a relevant choice by then with all the fan backings to boot, and maaaybe she'll get a Base-Roster-Level announcement trailer. We'll just have to contribute to the fandom until then and hope she gains some traction here in the West.
Shrug_Shulk.png

But until then, assume the worst and keep the Touhouposting here. I'm certain some of you lurk and post on /v/ threads, lol.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The prospect of this scares me a bit. This just makes Touhou representation in Smash that much more unlikely no matter how influential it's been to the Indie scene. Never mind some hints I heard in private regarding who Fighter #5 might be (spoiler alert: It ain't Reimu) based on insider talk. The only way she could ever be playable in Ultimate is through a miracle at this point.

Either that, or we wait for Smash 6 in a little less than a decade to see if she'll be a relevant choice by then with all the fan backings to boot, and maaaybe she'll get a Base-Roster-Level announcement trailer. We'll just have to contribute to the fandom until then and hope she gains some traction here in the West.
View attachment 243999
But until then, assume the worst and keep the Touhouposting here. I'm certain some of you lurk and post on /v/ threads, lol.
The main thing I keep hearing about FP5 is that nobody really knows who it is except for the ones that have said it's not Hayabusa and Crash and they aren't talking much besides that.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Touhou is a series that is big enough in Japan alone that it feels like “but the west” argument doesn’t mean anything. Especially when characters that have not see international release outside of Japan gets added as newcomers in past games. Sure it could be a factor when listing characters for DLC but the potential for a character like Reimu is definitely something to consider as a fighter.

It doesn’t really matter if insiders hint at the fifth fighter not being Reimu, there are still reasons to believe she is the fifth fighter. Insider info is still rumors until the character or characters is revealed, doesn’t matter who it comes from.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of all the Capcom rep/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer bandwagoning in the community. A lot of people act like fighter #5 and beyond can't be no one but those characters. I'm really tired of hearing those names.

D

Deleted member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of all the Capcom rep/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer bandwagoning in the community. A lot of people act like fighter #5 and beyond can't be no one but those characters. I'm really tired of hearing those names.
Definitely the same. Despite me hogging for a Capcom rep (Morrigan), I can't help but feel bad since speculation is limited to those names and is just quite bad if you think about it.

Top Bottom