• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of all the Capcom rep/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer bandwagoning in the community. A lot of people act like fighter #5 and beyond can't be no one but those characters. I'm really tired of hearing those names.
Well, Capcom has some pretty great IPs. I don't see a Capcom rep as a particularly bad thing personally.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, Capcom has some pretty great IPs. I don't see a Capcom rep as a particularly bad thing personally.
Me either, but I'm tired of hearing about insert Capcom characters/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer in general. The community sometimes acts like those are the only characters that exist.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Me either, but I'm tired of hearing about insert Capcom characters/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer in general. The community sometimes acts like those are the only characters that exist.
I agree. Seems like most of the requests comes from the western fanbase which makes its more annoying. Sure Reimu may have been speculated more in the past few weeks, but since everyone still talks about capcom/ryu/crash/doom, makes me want her as the fifth fighter even more.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I agree. Seems like most of the requests comes from the western fanbase which makes its more annoying. Sure Reimu may have been speculated more in the past few weeks, but since everyone still talks about capcom/ryu/crash/doom, makes me want her as the fifth fighter even more.
Even if Reimu is fighter #5, everyone will still go back to just talking about insert Capcom characters/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer lol.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The main thing I keep hearing about FP5 is that nobody really knows who it is except for the ones that have said it's not Hayabusa and Crash and they aren't talking much besides that.
Problem is, if Western presence continues to be the perception over in Japan, then maybe the tragic irony is that the Western niche section of Touhou's fanbase is the group that wants her the most. Based on Ayumi's description, the people there are indifferent at best and annoyed at the idea at worst.

Give me KOS-MOS, make that drunken cat leak miraculously true somehow, and we get Reimu and Ryu Hayabusa to finally lay this whole thing to rest. Then after I get what I want (and by proxy, the Reimu support group), the rest of the community can cross their fingers and hope they finally get theirs.
Malos_thinking.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Problem is, if Western presence continues to be the perception over in Japan, then maybe the tragic irony is that the Western niche section of Touhou's fanbase is the group that wants her the most. Based on Ayumi's description, the people there are indifferent at best and annoyed at the idea at worst.

Give me KOS-MOS, make that drunken cat leak miraculously true somehow, and we get Reimu and Ryu Hayabusa to finally lay this whole thing to rest. Then after I get what I want (and by proxy, the Reimu support group), the rest of the community can cross their fingers and hope they finally get theirs.
View attachment 244020
You just took the words out of my mouth, and I love it.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 244020
People will be indifferent anyways. Some will be annoyed at a specific characters inclusion, some will be excited. Some may support her but don’t see her happening for “reasons”. It is impossible to please everyone. Even if the “western” fanbase may want her in more than Japanese fans, it doesn’t change the fact that some characters like Reimu have more going for her inclusion than most characters do.

Last edited:

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
The perception of Reimu's popularity in the West will likely be changed when Sabi's official poll results come out. Reimu's been consistently 5-11 on outsider's results (I think she ranked top 5 in the ones I found) and in the most recently released version someone made, she was at 5. Otherwise she's like at 11. If those poll results spread to Japan and they see Reimu ranking high, I don't think there will be much doubt that she is popular in the West.

Of course, this is best cast scenario. (Funny thing, I didn't campaign as much for the poll compared to other For Smash accounts. I did it on the day it was announced and they day before it ended and Reimu is ranking super high.)

Edit: If "poll" results from out here that has results from Japan are anything to go by. These polls often results in people saying "Oh! This character is popular in <country>!" And people are more likely to support them outright because of that and it helps people realize that a character is bigger in a certain country than they believe.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Even if Reimu is fighter #5, everyone will still go back to just talking about insert Capcom characters/Ryu/Crash/Doom Slayer lol.
Well, the main reason why you'll keep hearing about Ryu and Crash is due to insider's leaking or suggesting that they are coming. When a character is mentioned with such certainty, discussion will still orbit around them until the rumor is either deconfirmed or they are released. Doesn't make much sense to expect the community to drop discussion or speculation on characters that are being leaked or heavily suggested by insiders lol.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Well, the main reason why you'll keep hearing about Ryu and Crash is due to insider's leaking or suggesting that they are coming. When a character is mentioned with such certainty, discussion will still orbit around them until the rumor is either deconfirmed or they are released. Doesn't make much sense to expect the community to drop discussion or speculation on characters that are being leaked or heavily suggested by insiders lol.
I mean despite Sakurai saying no 4th party characters and that they must originate from video games, people still want Goku from dragon ball.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I mean despite Sakurai saying no 4th party characters and that they must originate from video games, people still want Goku from dragon ball.
Yeah and I can understand why. Dragonball games have been around for quite a long time and he has quite the presence in all the different DBZGTS fighting games which would provide a good kit. Plus how can anyone hate on this face:

:p
Joking aside, I don't see people requesting too much but then again, I'm not on social networking outside of forums and Reddit so perhaps he is discussed a lot more than I perceive.

D

Deleted member

It's a shame though. They really want to make Smash lose its identity. It'll come to the point of "what's this game suppose to be about then:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I recently attended MCM London Comic Con and found four Touhou games being played on Xbox One with their own stands.
I didn't get to try any of them since I was in a rush to fight people on Smash but I did take a few pics.

Gensou Skydrift
Azure Reflections
3rd Eye
Luna Nights

I'm not sure if they were in English and I apologise for the not-so-good pictures but yeah.
Since they were being played on Xbox Ones, it could be a sign that more Touhou games on Switch will be translated.

https://imgur.com/a/rsgdTYD
I'm actually super hypered for skydrift. the game is great and can't wait to own it offically.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's a shame though. They really want to make Smash lose its identity. It'll come to the point of "what's this game suppose to be about then:
I would welcome any of my favorite manga/anime and comic book characters into Smash, but at the cost of less video games characters and almost zero Nintendo characters? Hell no.

D

Deleted member

I would welcome any of my favorite manga/anime and comic book characters into Smash, but at the cost of less video games characters and almost zero Nintendo characters? Hell no.
At this point, what is Smash all about then? Assjming we do get 4th parties?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At this point, what is Smash all about then? Assjming we do get 4th parties?
Exactly! Smash by then would just all be about pleasing the masses without any rhyme or spirit. Basically, no character, no matter what their origin is could get into Smash Bros. no matter how ridiculous they may sound. For Nintendo and the companies working alongside them to allow their IPs into the game, it would just be completely about the money at that point as 4th party characters would make the games sell a ton more than 3rd party and Nintendo characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exactly! Smash by then would just all be about pleasing the masses without any rhyme or spirit. Basically, no character, no matter what their origin is could get into Smash Bros. no matter how ridiculous they may sound. For Nintendo and the companies working alongside them to allow their IPs into the game, it would just be completely about the money.
And that, my friend, is why 4th parties should absolutely never be in Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
4th parties won't happen as the game is a celebration of video games. Yes dbz has had some great games, but you dont consider goku a video game character.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Just realized that this Smash OST mock up video hit 100k views! If it ever gets taken down you know what's about to happen...

D

Deleted member

Just realized that this Smash OST mock up video hit 100k views! If it ever gets taken down you know what's about to happen...
I don't listen to such fan remixes, knowing they're just ads for characters. And I don't listen to ads.

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I've been lurking this thread for quite a while and decided I finally speak my thoughts. But first, I want to say that I'm a big supporter for any Touhou representation in Smash, especailly in the form of a playable character. It would be pretty awesome! This series, along with Xenoblade and Baten Kaitos, have taught the kid me how important good and memorable music is to have in any quality video game. Thanks to that, Touhou doujin music has been my main genre/theme of choice for all my music listening to this day.

Anyway, this may be pretty old news to many of you here, but a couple of things about the ZUN interview have been bugging me recently and I wanted to put them out somewhere. With my limited knowledge of Japanese, I can indeed vouch for the translation given to everyone, so that's good. So here is what I got:

1. This may have been discussed before, but ZUN bringing up Smash unprompted in that interview still feels odd to me. Sure, Smash is very much the biggest crossover/collab game franchise there ever is, but I don't think that's enough of a reason for ZUN to casually bring it up on his own. It's probably just the first example that came to his mind, but I can't help but feel there's some very indirect teasing afoot. Or it's just me getting ahead of myself.
  2. The wording of this section got me thinking too: "Naturally, I want them to appear in Smash Bros. But that's not something I can make happen by just thinking about it." Wouldn't that also be able to be interpreted to be as though ZUN having already done something in regards to Smash? As in, he has done something beyond "just thinking about it" already and worded like this to be safe. Of course, I could just be putting words into ZUN's mouth at this point and none of this means much of anything beyond the surface.
That's pretty much what I wanted to get off my chest. All of this is still speculation of course, and either way the most we can all do is wait and hope for the best. That's the fun of fighter reveal season, isn't it?

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Looks like this was the video MindlessMage MindlessMage was talking about with Papagenos

At the very least, he explains it well.
Yeah, that's me in both bits. I'm making a thread on the leak on Twitter today with everything I know regarding it and my own thoughts as to what is happening here. Essentially, I don't think Reimu is 5 but if the leak is to be believed, she's soon.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I hope what’s happening with Terry right now doesn’t happen with Reimu, or any other potential DLC for that matter.

Seems like the “Coming Soon” and the copyright might’ve been by accident.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I hope what’s happening with Terry right now doesn’t happen with Reimu, or any other potential DLC for that matter.

Seems like the “Coming Soon” and the copyright might’ve been by accident.
Still think Terry is likely next week. The week after is pokemom and they would not want to release anything else that week, or the week after most likely

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna put this here...
Alpharad's with us, gamers!
Ahah, finally he says it!
I'm actually surprised how many big members of the smash community seem to be fans of Touhou. Leffen also retweeted a tweet celebrating Bad Apple's 10 year anniversary and Light himself said he wants Reimu in Smash. There's more support for her than one might've actually expected.

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
-Light
-Leffen
-Cosmos
-Alpharad
-PapaGeno's
-WeegeeTheGod

These are people in the Smash community who I know either supports Reimu or is at least aware of Touhou. It'd be nice if all of them posted more Reimu propaganda.

-Light posted Touhou music and did it again recently with the caption "I'm already over Terry".
-Leffen retweeted Bad Apple on its Birthday
-Cosmos quote RT'd Light's recent Reimu tweet saying he's down for Reimu.
-Alpharad's used Touhou music, used Touhou clips, and has mentioned Touhou in his videos. And as you can see above, he straight up wants her as she is top 5 for him.
-PapaGeno's is fine with Reimu being in and talks about Reimu from time to time so long as the leaks are there.
-WeegeeTheGod in his original Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass video he was listing characters that should be in the game (jokingly) and then mentioned Reimu.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's great to see more people talking about her! Can't wait to find out who the next fighter is, one way or another.

zferolie

Smash Hero
-Light
-Leffen
-Cosmos
-Alpharad
-PapaGeno's
-WeegeeTheGod

These are people in the Smash community who I know either supports Reimu or is at least aware of Touhou. It'd be nice if all of them posted more Reimu propaganda.

-Light posted Touhou music and did it again recently with the caption "I'm already over Terry".
-Leffen retweeted Bad Apple on its Birthday
-Cosmos quote RT'd Light's recent Reimu tweet saying he's down for Reimu.
-Alpharad's used Touhou music, used Touhou clips, and has mentioned Touhou in his videos. And as you can see above, he straight up wants her as she is top 5 for him.
-PapaGeno's is fine with Reimu being in and talks about Reimu from time to time so long as the leaks are there.
-WeegeeTheGod in his original Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass video he was listing characters that should be in the game (jokingly) and then mentioned Reimu.
I only know Papa there. got links to the others and their reimu talks?

Narp

Smash Cadet
At this point I just wanna see what they'd come up with for that invitation skit. Assuming they'll keep doing it.

Top Bottom