• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
Flandre is in there as well. I think Clowpiece and Flandre are unlockable characters because I didn't have them when I started the game.

swinn

Smash Rookie
Oh my god guys i just thought of something. RichaadEB usually uploads on Thursday but hasn't uploaded yet, what if he's waiting on The Game Awards? He's been involved with official video game soundtracks before, watch his upload today be Maiden's Capriccio

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Nice to see that some notion of hope is still left here. :nifty:

I'll just go to University and keep away from news until I come home. Might as well play some Subterranian Animsim again to get my Touhou goodness anyway. That, and Reimu is OP in that game, like in many others.

At this point I hope its the Chief, because Halo is one of my most played franchises. Though, KOS-MOS would be a nice addition, too.

swinn swinn Man, that brings back memories. Had that avatar on Steam for a while, years ago.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Nice to see that some notion of hope is still left here. :nifty:

I'll just go to University and keep away from news until I come home. Might as well play some Subterranian Animsim again to get my Touhou goodness anyway. That, and Reimu is OP in that game, like in many others.

At this point I hope its the Chief, because Halo is one of my most played franchises. Though, KOS-MOS would be a nice addition, too.

swinn swinn Man, that brings back memories. Had that avatar on Steam for a while, years ago.
I don't think Chief has a chance for Ultimate, unfortunately.

I still re-call back when Frank O'Connor (Director of Halo at 343 Industries) straight up said that Chief wasn't planned for Ultimate at all.

https://twitter.com/franklez/status/1076911083909132289

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully, I don't really care anymore. At this point I'd even take Bubsy with a fall damage mechanic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next pass gonna be lit, though.

InkyNeko

Smash Rookie
Hey resident lurker here. I don't have anything of value to add that hasn't already been said pertaining to our beloved Red and White's inclusion in Smash. I usually don't engage much on this site much but with TGAs just a few minutes away (which will likely reveal our final fighter of the pass) and Reimu being my current most wanted I felt compelled to add my name to the supporter list as well as express my thoughts before the years end.

I was first introduced to the Touhou Project in middle school around the start of the decade through a string Synthesia videos that eventually led me to a cover of Necrofantasia. From there I guess you could say I was "spirited away" to the world of Gensokyo. Yukari happens to be the the youkai responsible for that phenomenon so it's a rather fitting coincidence that her theme was my first direct interaction with the Touhou. It hardly needs to be stated but Touhou is a massively unique and inspired franchise from it's whimsical characters and lore to the fantastic soundtrack that never fails to leave me in awe with each entry. Touhou absolutely deserves to be represented in Smash in some way due to its legacy alone as an indie/doujin game dating back to the 90s and still alive and kicking but im preaching to the choir at this point.

However as Touhou fans and Smash fans its important to keep in mind that her inclusion in smash is not the be-all end-all. sure it'll sting but its no reason to undermine the game, Sakurai or any other inclusion simply because we believe a Touhou rep deserves a spot. That being said I do still believe Reimu or Touhou representation is still pretty likely all things considered. Outside of smash Touhou seems to be on the rise yet again with ZUN now being more open to the idea of breaking Touhou into the mainstream and even outright saying he wants Touhou to appear in Smash, More Touhou games finding their way to the Switch and a Touhou fan game winning China's IndiePlay "Best Overseas Game" this year. This can only spell good news for the future of Touhou and I couldn't be happier.

Well thats my two cents. In the off chance that Reimu appears tonight in TGAs I look foward to watching the suprise and hype from you guys. If she doesn't then we still have the next pass to hope for. In either event 2020 looks like its gearing up to be a wild year for Touhou and an even crazier decade. Hope to see yall there.

swinn

Smash Rookie
he still hasn't uploaded and it's about to start. i'm holding on to hope

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Nothing at the VGA. I honestly wasn't expecting anything again but oh well.

edit: now that we can finally put anything VGA related behind us, is there anything else we should be awaiting? Other than an actual Nintendo direct, that is if one should happen sometime this month at the earliest.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Well that was extremely underwhelming. On the plus side, Reimu's chances as FP5 are back up in my books now that the "t-there's no way they'd show off a japanese game character as FP5 at an american game awards show!" 'stipulation' is out. Can't wait to see how Virgeyboy and Sabi backtrack on their claims now.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well that was extremely underwhelming. On the plus side, Reimu's chances as FP5 are back up in my books now that the "t-there's no way they'd show off a japanese game character as FP5 at an american game awards show!" 'stipulation' is out. Can't wait to see how Virgeyboy and Sabi backtrack on their claims now.
Agreed. I find the wait as frustrating as anyone, but Reimu's definitely the kind of character to be revealed in a Direct or a Japanese event (like EVO Japan, perhaps?), so I can't say I'm too upset that we didn't see FP5 tonight. I do wonder what they're waiting so long for. It seems like it has to be either production problems or sitting on the character for some reason, right? I could see a reveal at EVO Japan, but that's so close to the deadline that they'd have to drop the character almost immediately after the reveal.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nothing in the VGA. I honestly wasn't expecting anything again but oh well.
Exactly as expected.

Eh, Verge already said no and Sabi nor Verge ever implied a Smash reveal at the VGAs.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. I find the wait as frustrating as anyone, but Reimu's definitely the kind of character to be revealed in a Direct or a Japanese event (like EVO Japan, perhaps?), so I can't say I'm too upset that we didn't see FP5 tonight. I do wonder what they're waiting so long for. It seems like it has to be either production problems or sitting on the character for some reason, right? I could see a reveal at EVO Japan, but that's so close to the deadline that they'd have to drop the character almost immediately after the reveal.
I hadn't even considered that, when is EVO Japan? And yeah I'd presume they're either still working on the fighter or mostly are just ironing out all the kinks/all the other arrangements for them. Either way, Reimu's still got a fighting chance and once again the "insiders" we were so certain about in terms of deconfirmations were made a fool of once more. I really don't know why people put so much favor into the words of verge and sabi when they just keep on slipping then backpedalling by saying "a-actually I DIDN'T say that there'd be a Game Awards reveal, I didn't deny it and heavily implied it but I didn't SPECIFICALLY say it!!!"

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I hadn't even considered that, when is EVO Japan? And yeah I'd presume they're either still working on the fighter or mostly are just ironing out all the kinks/all the other arrangements for them. Either way, Reimu's still got a fighting chance and once again the "insiders" we were so certain about in terms of deconfirmations were made a fool of once more. I really don't know why people put so much favor into the words of verge and sabi when they just keep on slipping then backpedalling by saying "a-actually I DIDN'T say that there'd be a Game Awards reveal, I didn't deny it and heavily implied it but I didn't SPECIFICALLY say it!!!"
A cursory Google suggests it's the last week of January, which would be really late for a FP5 reveal, but still technically possible.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
A cursory Google suggests it's the last week of January, which would be really late for a FP5 reveal, but still technically possible.
I mean it'd work out I'd imagine still, didn't it take months after Joker's reveal for him to be dropped as a character? They could hypothetically do an opposite scenario with Reimu.
I think what's more likely is a Christmas direct revealing FP5 though, either that or a January one, if not I can definitely see FP5 being revealed at EVO Japan. GOD imagine if that's where Reimu's revealed to cap off the fighter pass.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Exactly as expected.

Eh, Verge already said no and Sabi nor Verge ever implied a Smash reveal at the VGAs.
Sabi implied numerous games were gonna be shown at the VGA's and Virge is a notorious fence-sitter that piggybacks off of so many leaks and manages to get a lot of stuff wrong continuously, they're as far from being genuine insiders as can be in my books. I'm just waiting for a character they've "deconfirmed" to be announced so their credibility can go out the window again.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am betting on a January Direct to reveal FP5. I doubt it will be this month.... but it IS possible. We didn't even get a game specific Nocember direct like that has happened the past few years.... So we will see. I am looking at Mid January.

I doubt they will reveal the fighter at Japan Evo, as every reveal has been a world wide event and thats not that world wide.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Hey, a bit off topic from this thread, but does anyone still play Smash 3DS? lol Anyone wanna play?

*I sold my Wii U and Smash U long ago, I don't own a Switch or Smash Ultimate. I still play Smash 3DS online quite frequently.

Last edited:

Dextructor28

Smash Rookie
So not even a glimpse of FP5? Dang, I wanted to know what leaks were correct.
Welp, I think Nintendo might do a Direct before the end of the year, and hopefully show FP5 and if i can hope ambitioisly, the first post-pass character.
Time to further wait. At least the "It cant be a japanese character because it's a global event" it's out of the question

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just played some skydrift. Still learning but seems pretty fun. but I seem to suck at drifting, or not doing it right, as I tend to keep being passed by cpu whenever i drift

Narp

Smash Cadet
Well, The Game Awards were pretty boring this year.
Just played some skydrift. Still learning but seems pretty fun. but I seem to suck at drifting, or not doing it right, as I tend to keep being passed by cpu whenever i drift
I've played Skydrift for a few hours now, and it seems to me the AI is ruthless in offline versus and a lot more lenient in the story mode. And it appears some characters just drift better than others, though I'm not sure exactly what your issue could be.

Now if only they would give us that region select already so we don't have to fiddle around with VPNs and Steam and whatnot to make the online multiplayer actually work with who we want.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, The Game Awards were pretty boring this year.

I've played Skydrift for a few hours now, and it seems to me the AI is ruthless in offline versus and a lot more lenient in the story mode. And it appears some characters just drift better than others, though I'm not sure exactly what your issue could be.

Now if only they would give us that region select already so we don't have to fiddle around with VPNs and Steam and whatnot to make the online multiplayer actually work with who we want.
I may just suck and not used to the controls yet, keep thinking of trying to be like mario kart or crash CTR lol.

Anyway sleeping now, but leaving this hear to keep peoples minds of the awards. This thread is not nearly as bad as some of the otheres though.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I may just suck and not used to the controls yet, keep thinking of trying to be like mario kart or crash CTR lol.

Anyway sleeping now, but leaving this hear to keep peoples minds of the awards. This thread is not nearly as bad as some of the otheres though.

Character I want: Ashley
Character I don't want: Waluigi/Isaac
Make a friend happy: Travis Touchdown
Unrepped Series: Reimu
Joke Character: I have no idea. Maybe Otton from Moero Chronicle because he's voiced by Tomokazu Sugita

Soulor

Smash Cadet
If we seriously aren't getting Reimu as FP5, then try looking at this:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-other-shrine-maiden-pocky-sayo-chan-for-smash.495486/
Ah, Pocky. I own that one Pocky and Rocky on SNES still. I always enjoyed playing this when I was younger, the raft stage with the kappas was tough as a kid lol.

Shame that the last game, that introduced Becky, was pretty much their last game long ago. I highly doubt they'd make it to Smash, but If they do people's reactions would be interesting.

Also, wasn't Zun inspired from the Pocky and Rocky game on the NES? Forgot what it was called, and Rocky was an enemy in it, but yeah I think I remember hearing that its what inspired Zun to make Touhou. Though HRtP was more of a breakout clone of sorts, lol.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Man, that was not worth waking up at 2 am in the slightest, haha. Been speculating about no Smash for a while but not having any big Nintendo announcement at all was pretty disappointing. Oh well, see y'all in the January Direct

1) Reimu
2) Sora
3) KOS-MOS
4) Gonna make a big stretch and say Crash Bandicoot as a representative of western games as well as Playstation games
U3FYujB8_400x400.jpg
If we seriously aren't getting Reimu as FP5, then try looking at this:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-other-shrine-maiden-pocky-sayo-chan-for-smash.495486/
Never played her games but always though they looked super cool. She's no Reimu but I'd take her.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
As people are still recouping from the VGA, here is something nice for the eyes. (not ears sadly)

Newest episode of Memories of Phantasm just dropped.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As people are still recouping from the VGA, here is something nice for the eyes. (not ears sadly)

Newest episode of Memories of Phantasm just dropped.
Nice! I wish ZUN would do an actual anime. I kind of expect him to sooner rather than later, given how he's talked about wanting the series to branch out.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Nice! I wish ZUN would do an actual anime. I kind of expect him to sooner rather than later, given how he's talked about wanting the series to branch out.
I honestly hope not. The main issue I have with most of these animation projects (namely memories of phantasm) is that they flanderize the characters to a certain degree by having them act the way they do in fanon, which I think removes a lot of the character's charms in general by giving a bigger focus on fanservice. Don't get me wrong, the animation is fantastic and so is the art and OST in all of them but I don't think Touhou should ever get an official anime unless it was perhaps headed by ZUN himself in terms of writing. That said, there was that one anime that focused on the backstories of certain Touhou characters from the perspective of Maribel and Renko which was super neat in terms of concept and seemed quite interesting, I'd be far more down for something like that rather than the "straight-adaptations" of MoP.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I honestly hope not. The main issue I have with most of these animation projects (namely memories of phantasm) is that they flanderize the characters to a certain degree by having them act the way they do in fanon, which I think removes a lot of the character's charms in general by giving a bigger focus on fanservice. Don't get me wrong, the animation is fantastic and so is the art and OST in all of them but I don't think Touhou should ever get an official anime unless it was perhaps headed by ZUN himself in terms of writing. That said, there was that one anime that focused on the backstories of certain Touhou characters from the perspective of Maribel and Renko which was super neat in terms of concept and seemed quite interesting, I'd be far more down for something like that rather than the "straight-adaptations" of MoP.
"Flanderize". Now where have I heard that term before?

An official anime would have to be directed or confirmed by ZUN, otherwise it wouldn't be really an official anime, would it? I mean, ZUN does "flanderize", his characters as well in his works to a certain point. Though that term is incorrect for what I'm getting at, as anything ZUN touches becomes canon for obvious reasons. What I'm refering to is his different chracterizations of each character in his different works. Its no secret that characters have striking differences in both personality and appearance from work to work. If we take Reimu for example:
Exaggeratet but still different enough to raise an eyebrow. Sure, one explanation could be that each work is viewed from the eyes of each main character (Kosuzu, Kasen, the fairies, Rinnouske) but still, viewed as a sole work the characters become a lot more "flat". We deem the characters to have a lot of facets and character to them because we have seen them in multiple works and under a variety of conditions.

An Anime has a lot of ways how it could pan out and doesn't have to boil down character to single traits or make them just fanservice to please the audience. Though it is hard to flesh out characters in the span of just 12 episodes (or less even). Pretty sure ZUN would make sure that the Anime has the same depth as his mangas. That said, I'm not sure if we would see an official Anime anytime soon. Anime are seldom profitable and are mostly used as a marketing tool to gain some more fans for the source material. But seeing that ZUN tries new avenues in regaining some of the lost popularity, I can see him going the anime route at some point.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Eh, I don't think it's fair to tar a hypothetical anime made by a major studio with the same brush as fan animation projects. These projects express so much fanon because they're made by die-hard fans. You're not going to see that in a project done by professional writers who most likely aren't actually big fans of the series.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
1) Reimu
Obviously

2) Geno
I personally don't have any attachments to Geno or Mario RPG in general, but it's been so long. After Ridley and Banjo, Geno is the only "most popular most-wanted" character left that is not yet in the game. Just add him already, and make Ultimate the game that brought us literally everything fans wanted for over a decade.

3) Doomslayer
I have a friend who's an Xbox fan, and after playing Smash on my Switch he's seriously considering buying the console with it. Doomguy being added will certainly make that decision go easier for him.

4) Arle
Either add Arle or fix Dr Mario. The puzzle genre isn't even represented by a stage in this game. And I think it's about time we change that.

5) Waluigi
Yeah I said it /s

Last edited:

swinn

Smash Rookie

Anyway sleeping now, but leaving this hear to keep peoples minds of the awards. This thread is not nearly as bad as some of the others though.

lmao i already answered this in the original reddit post, my pass was Sakuya, Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Reimu, and Jester from DMC3:SE

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Sucks that I had to stay up until half four in the morning for nothing but in terms of the characters I would pick for those five:

1 (Character I want). Reimu (don't really have to explain it, do I (I mean, this IS the Reimu support thread and you guys should all know WHY she deserves a place in Smash))

2 (Character I'm not familiar with but would be fine with adding to please the fans). KOS-MOS (never played Xenosaga, as I haven't had much time to sit down and play really long JRPGs (I have played a little bit of some JRPGs like Xenoblade 2, the first two Dragon Quest games and a bit of Persona 1 / 3 but still not a lot))

3 (Character to make someone happy (in this case, a certain YouTuber)). Geno (yeah, I went with a PapaGenos pick on this one, plus I do kind of want him in anyway)

4 (Character that would help further represent an UNDERREPRESENTED series (figured I'd point that out since everyone's misread it as not represented / unrepresented)). This one's a bit of a hard one but it's a tie between Eggman (because he's such an iconic villain besides Bowser and could bring an interesting moveset besides "put in Shadow because he's the ultimate lifefor- second most popular character in the Sonic series"), Bass (a bit more of an interesting pick than Proto Man, if you ask me, as he could bring his multi-directional shot / add representation for Mega Man 7 to & Bass, since that era isn't represented enough in Smash) and Christopher Belmont (yes, I want a better moveset for the Belmonts and he's the only non-spirit canon Belmont (plus he could have a lot of unique moves that no other Belmont has, like the Bullet Whip, Rope Climbing or even summoning his son to use that Homing Sword attack instead of the Axe))

5 (Joke character / Stupidest Thing I can come up with). I have a few ideas for this one... Like Balrog from Cave Story, Miror B from Pokemon or an Octorock from Zelda. Balrog because well, he's the lovable idiot (besides Cirno but hey), Miror B because he's that one cool Pokemon Team Admin that everybody loves simply because of his afro, shades, themes and Ludicolos... And finally an Octorock from Zelda because Mario has an enemy playable so why not Zelda with an Octorock (sure, I could have gone with something like a Deku Scrub but that might have been a bit too similar to Piranha Plant, while Octorock is the classic first enemy you encounter in Zelda 1)?

zferolie

Smash Hero

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
After Vergebens kill list, I have officially given up on FP5. My focus is now on post pass, and I have made peace with the fact that Monokuma will never be in a Smash game at all. So I will focus on other characters for the remainder of this cycle.

That being said, Reimu would be an awesome addition, especially with all of the potential music she could bring. So add me to the support list ASAP.

Dutonix

Smash Rookie
Character I want: Master Chief
Character I'm not familiar with: Black Mage (I had final fantasy I on the GBA but lost it before I finished)
Character to make someone happy: Monster Hunter
Character for underreped series: Dark Matter Swordsman/Marx
Joke Character: Reimu

H3ra

Smash Rookie

Character I want: Suguri (Suguri)
Character I don't want, but would add for the fans: Master Chief
Character to make a friend happy: Amaterasu
Character to help rep an underrepresented series: Either Gooey or Melia Antiqua
Joke/Random character: Dyna Blade

Top Bottom