• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Touhou is a great franchise and I'd argue the progenitor of indies as a whole (or y'know at the very least popularized them) so to see it get in would be really cool.
It's certainly instrumental in the current wave, but indie games have always been a big thing in any PC community (Japan and the UK being particularly notable). While stuff like Manic Miner might have died off with Doom Japan normalised indie games coexisting with published games, and I'd say Puyo Puyo was the most influential in that regard, though it is ofcourse no longer indie so wouldn't be so great as an indie rep.

Still love Reimu, but I think it's a bit much to say she popularized indie games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's certainly instrumental in the current wave, but indie games have always been a big thing in any PC community (Japan and the UK being particularly notable). While stuff like Manic Miner might have died off with Doom Japan normalised indie games coexisting with published games, and I'd say Puyo Puyo was the most influential in that regard, though it is ofcourse no longer indie so wouldn't be so great as an indie rep.

Still love Reimu, but I think it's a bit much to say she popularized indie games.
Well I'm not counting Indie games that aren't indie anymore so stuff like Puyo Puyo and Minecraft don't fit in that regard. I may have overdone it a bit but I don't think it's a stretch to at least say it's a very well known indie series that helped push the indie scene forward, at least in Japan that is.

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
Just your neighborhood KOS-MOS supporter comming through to show you all love.
Add me to the supporters list :D

Hope Reimu Makes it in <3

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
How high do you guys think for Reimu to get in? Think she has a high chance for FP5 or you all think we should wait for the second pass

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
How high do you guys think for Reimu to get in? Think she has a high chance for FP5 or you all think we should wait for the second pass
Given how the FP has gone I'd think she'd come afterwards. Who knows, though. Hopefully there's an announcement or something soon-ish, but I can wait.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
FP5: I'm somewhere between very unlikely and not a chance.

If the leakers are to be believed then Reimu is out. There could be some wiggle room for Bandai Namco to change the order of characters (Which is certainly doable with proper resource allocation) and push Reimu for an earlier release but that is even more unlikely, as it would not only require Reimu to be in in the first place, she would also have to be the next in line, which is the start up for the next FP. And that won't be a niche pick as you want to drive sales home.

Even for the next pass, Reimu's chances are low. The Doujin leak might be a glimmer of hope but even that will eventually fade.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
In the end, it does have to go through ZUN and the Smash team. And I just keep getting the nagging feeling he hasn’t talked with the Smash team about it yet. The DLC lineup has very likely been decided for quite a while now. So if ZUN really hasn’t sat down with them, then it’s either not happening or it’s waaaaay down the line.

If he was under an NDA in the March interview, he would probably play it safe and not have mentioned Smash at all. It’s not even far fetched for him to mention Smash without an NDA given the nature of the discussion at the time.

As for leaks and rumors, there have been so many especially during this round of speculation that I’m not finding myself convinced until after all is said and done.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I don't think Reimu is too likely of a character but with how the DLC pass has been going and with a lot of heavy hitters already in or deconfirmed, it does bring some more spotlight onto her.

I can see her being a Post-Pass character, really. At least depending on how the Post-pass route goes.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if they announce the next pass to be just trophy upgrades or something, that would be bad.

Though I would be looking forward to Alucard and Zero. And the memers might finally get their hands on Waluigi. Isaac would also be nifty but we already have enough JRPG swordies, even if the psy powers would be cool.

ElenoreBR

Smash Rookie
I think that Touhou as a series has a pretty good shot at getting some form of representation, i mean, with all the popular western indie franchises getting something in the game it feels weird that one of the more popular japanese ones hasn't gotten anything yet.

With that being said, whether or not that representation is as a playable character it's a different story, they could go with either a mii costume or spirits, personally this is what i've been bracing myself for for a while now.

But assuming we get her as a full fledged character, i'm thinking post fighters pass, i don't believe the leakers a 100% but they've also got enough things right that i won't completely dismiss them either.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think she's got a very small but non-zero chance at inclusion, whether it be FP5 or the continued DLC.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My thoughts on Reimu's chances have relatively remained static. I still think she's going to be one of the first characters revealed for around the time of Smash's Chinese release.

Hey there! I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas time!
Lol. This is great.

Merry Christmas, Reimu Thread~

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Merry Christmas y'all! It's been an interesting, hectic, and somewhat disappointing year of speculation to say the least. As we approach a new decade, here's to hoping for even happier and more prosperous times.

Regardless of whether or not Reimu is FP5 or even makes it to Ultimate's DLC cycle at all, we are a strong force and our voices will eventually allow her to become playable in a future installment.

Nerkama

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see Reimu get in, be it this smash fighter or one of the next ones. Count me in for supporting this. (Also congratulations on 2.5k posts. Took longer than expected to read through, but was worth it)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Lotus Eater Ch. 2 is out! Still going strong so far. Seeing Reimu immediately flip into kill mode was hilarious. If the level of quality remains consistent, I think it will be by far the best official manga.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think Reimu has a decent shot at Fighter 5 since it seems like the heavy hitters are getting deconfirmed and I think Fighter 5 will be an unexpected character for most people.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Lotus Eater Ch. 2 is out! Still going strong so far. Seeing Reimu immediately flip into kill mode was hilarious. If the level of quality remains consistent, I think it will be by far the best official manga.
I mean, what would you do if someone was messing with your bae? German Suplex that sucker!

Most interesting is that Miyoi was already revealed. I thought that this "mystery" would play out for a couple more chapters.
I like Miyoi. A sleep inducing youkai that uses alcohol. A pretty good match for our alcohol loving cast. I wonder why the dream always consists of fighting to your death, though. The forgetting part seems to be inconsistent with Marisa being able to recall the events, roughly. Such are dreams. We might even see Doremy showing up at some point.

This manga is already really good.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So guys, probably been asked before, but what was the first touhou thing you saw that got you interested or learned about the series?

For me, I remember one day being on Danbooru WAY back in collage, and found this flash video.

I had absolutly no idea what was going on, but I liked the music, and the characters were cute. So I started looking things up, and here I am now a touhou nut

D

Deleted member

So guys, probably been asked before, but what was the first touhou thing you saw that got you interested or learned about the series?

For me, I remember one day being on Danbooru WAY back in collage, and found this flash video.

I had absolutly no idea what was going on, but I liked the music, and the characters were cute. So I started looking things up, and here I am now a touhou nut
It was oddly enough a philosophy presentation for high school made by one of my friends.

It was about the kinds of intelligence regarding art, and my friend showed the video Bad Apple as an example of art through sillouettes.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman

Eins, Zwei, Guten Morgen! Always weird to see random German pop up.

I remember hating the IOSYS videos back then. This noisy repetitive music really left me annoyed fast. Now I grew fond of them but IOSYS has much better pieces than the famous ones.

As for me:
Bad Apple!! by Alstroemeria Records.

Actually the song, not the video. Gotta be 10 years ago or something, not sure. Just a damn long time ago. Back than I just started listening to music and was exclusively into metalcore like Linkin Park, Bullet for my Valentine and Sonic Syndicate. Then I heard that song blasting out of my older brothers room and I loved that song so much that I had to have it on my mp3 player.

Obviously I had to find out were to get more music like this. I found the famous video I linked and Youtube promptly recommended me more music like Sound Holic, East New Sound, Undead Corporation, Get in the Ring and by that point I had fallen in love. I looked up what this Touhou thing is, downloaded EoSD and well, that would lead to me becoming a huge fan. In the end, Touhou was the reason why I picked up learning Japanese and why I am in Japan in the first place.

I'm glad that Touhou is still pretty much the same it was back when I first discovered it, while still being alive as a growing franchise.

Nerkama

Smash Rookie

If I remember correctly I want to say it was these four songs in particular that I initially stumbled upon from ScarletFlameFlandre's osts they posted. Like most others, Bad Apple brought me to the fandom, albeit not the same way.

Around 7ish years ago I eventually stumbled upon a nightcore variant of bad apple, but didn't realize at the time it was touhou related. The thing was youtube's algorithm recommended the original bad apple from touhou to me thanks to this, which in turn led to me finding the rest of the OST (Such as Civilization of Magic which ended up being my favorite song until Pandemonic Planet came out) and becoming interested into Touhou as a whole.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
First time I was introduced to Touhou was in the mid 2000's. Very likely from the McRoll. From there I found out that it was Flandre's theme and She was cute so I looked up where she was from which led me to finding out about the series proper. This is why Flandre is my favorite character.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Gaijin Hunter (MH Youtuber) made a little introduction guide for Touhou! He even shows off some of the art his daughter made at the end. Very cute!
I'd like to see Reimu get in, be it this smash fighter or one of the next ones. Count me in for supporting this. (Also congratulations on 2.5k posts. Took longer than expected to read through, but was worth it)
Welcome to the forums!

My first exposure to the series was in 2010 thanks to Touhoumon but I only got hooked through minusTs animations and Demetori - specifically the Offering to The Sukhavati album.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
My way of getting into the franchise is a bit longer than most but it all started with a now deleted SomeOrdinaryGamers creepypasta video about a guy trying to download Touhou 14 online and instead getting the typical .EXE fare... Soon after an anime reviewer I watched (ShadowACS) reviewed episodes 1-4 of Memories of Phantasm and A Summer Day's Dream. Then later down the line, in high school I was playing dodgeball as a part of P.E. and was pretty good at dodging but not actually hitting anybody so I was pretty much the last person left and a thought popped into my mind, "this is like something out of Touhou" (they were throwing it so hard, it felt like they had the intent to kill)... And with that one thought, I figured, "it's about time I actually checked that series out". I'd later recommend it to some friends I made in later high school (about 5th or 6th year in) / showing them some of the Memories of Phantasm episodes during lunch break.

Now I have some of the Taito plushies of the characters (a cheaper but fancier looking set of plushies, compared to the Fumos (I'd recommend them, the frills for example have a ridiculous amount of detail in them)) and Genso Skydrift on Switch to prove my love for the series (I actually just got an email to provide feedback on it so I said that some items are a bit hard to land, some more games could use stage representation (I specifically mentioned 13 because Futo's playable) and that some of the alternate versions of stages could have different music).

Edit: Forgot a bit... I also at one point watched a guy called MasterMax888 (who reacted to a whole bunch of meme stuff / played horror games, though I knew him through a guy called LuigiKid who I also watched back then), who had Septette for the Dead Princess as outro music... That also had a part in introducing me to the series and by extension to Saitama Saisyu Heiki (S.S.H.) who made the remix he used for the outro theme. Someone even made a Touhou style fan-game for him, though the game was never actually completed (only up to Stage 3).

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
When I was 9, I found Cirno's Math Class on Youtube on a ****ty iPod Touch. It froze every 5 minutes but I always played the song on my way to school. Then when I was 11, I researched and found out that Touhou had games. I've loved it since.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
For me it was a one minute battle between Sakuya vs Dio. Then I watched a view more like Sakuya vs Chara and then it was Marisa vs that goat from Undertale. Then a notification came which introduced me to MinusT. I was really in awe in these and finally decided to look it up and the rest is history.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me it was a one minute battle between Sakuya vs Dio. Then I watched a view more like Sakuya vs Chara and then it was Marisa vs that goat from Undertale. Then a notification came which introduced me to MinusT. I was really in awe in these and finally decided to look it up and the rest is history.
oh god, i love that animation, and still watch it. Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Soulor

Smash Cadet

Some Yukkuri playing Mario Party videos finally got me actually into it about 2 years ago. I was like "Oh, It's Touhou characters playing Mario Party. Mmm I'll give it a shot. Surely it cant be worse than these gamer friends videos". But then I'm also a sucker for characters with great facial expressions to convey emotions, which is one of the charms of a Yu'. That and I loved their reactions to the happenings in MP and the things they would say, lol.

Before that though I knew what it was but was never really into it, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. I would always see things Touhou related here and there like 1MM as others have said, stop motion animation videos, mentioned on gaming sites for it's difficulty and what not, bad apple, music and artwork, but the very 1st thing I saw was that Ronald McDonald Insanity video in 08'. I'd see Marisa or Flandre here and there as well, I figured they were rather popular.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Some Yukkuri playing Mario Party videos finally got me actually into it about 2 years ago. I was like "Oh, It's Touhou characters playing Mario Party. Mmm I'll give it a shot. Surely it cant be worse than these gamer friends videos". But then I'm also a sucker for characters with great facial expressions to convey emotions, which is one of the charms of a Yu'. That and I loved their reactions to the happenings in MP and the things they would say, lol.

Before that though I knew what it was but was never really into it, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. I would always see things Touhou related here and there like 1MM as others have said, stop motion animation videos, mentioned on gaming sites for it's difficulty and what not, bad apple, music and artwork, but the very 1st thing I saw was that Ronald McDonald Insanity video in 08'. I'd see Marisa or Flandre here and there as well, I figured they were rather popular.
We got a youngling fan here huh haha :p.

I like yukkuris a lot, but when i first was getting into touhou was the time it was very popular to abuse those poor things. It almoat made me stop liking them amd touhou woth how much abuse those things got. But there were a few really wholesome yukkuri stories too

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure I watched the classic Flandre McRoll video at some point, but what really got me in was a fangame called MegaMari, that game is part of why I like Marisa a ton too. After playing it, I just went and looked for EoSD (after finding out it was basically the general starting one after the PC-98 ones), and gradually got into more of the series. I gotta say though, I found the mainline fighters really good, I recall playing those more at first since I wasn't too good at the bullet hell per se, lol. But it just takes practice, I suppose. 11 has been the hardest for me, so far. Goddamn Utsuho...

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
My way of getting into Touhou was none other than Nights of Nights, followed shortly after by the Sakuya vs DIO one minute melee, then Bad Apple and Rampaging Sakuya. And the UT vs Touhou stuff from 2016 or something also pulled me further into Touhou. After that, I discovered U.N. owen was her?, and at this point, I was furriously listening to Touhou music, until one day I finaly tried EoSD.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I got McRoll’d. A lot. To the point where I memorized the url for the video. That led to seeing the other meme videos and being at least familiar with the songs. I didn’t dare touch the games because they looked too hard from what I saw online, but I kept listening to the music.

Five-ish years later in my last year of high school, one of my classmates and the Calculus teacher would play Touhou 7 and Touhou 9 PvP after the lessons. Touhou 7 looked pretty manageable so I ended up trying to get one of the games. I thought what I saw was Touhou 6, so I actually ended up starting with that one instead of 7 like I was hoping.

Top Bottom