• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Prior to SSB4, Mega Man had voice clips in the Marvel Vs. Capcom games he appeared in and has had dialogue in some of his own games (including voice acting in 8 & 11) but is mute in the Smash Bros. games. He does come with the traditional death sound, though.
Touhou fighting games like AoCF have no voice-acting whatsoever, and you'd expect that to at least have grunts and stuff. Reimu CAN have the traditional death sound when she gets KO'd.
Mega Man having no voice whatsoever in Smash makes him seem kinda creepy too! As I said, I think the most important thing for Reimu in Smash would be selling as many people on Touhou as possible rather than adhering to some perception of purity to the original games, and VA of some kind makes the character a lot more accessible.

I think the 2hu fighting games don't have VA because they are clearly a very low-budget indie operation and paying for VA for 12-24 characters costs $$$. That's not a problem for Smash.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not familiar with the name, who has she voiced?
Let's see...some of her roles include:
  • Makoto Niijima (Persona 5)
  • Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail) (No doubt one of her most famous roles)
  • Rhea (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  • Caeda (Fire Emblem)
  • Noi (Dorohedoro)
  • Plutia (HyperDimension Neptunia)
  • Anaak Jahad (Tower of God)
  • Rottytops (Shantae)
  • Kris & Mina (Pokemon Masters)
  • Red Blood Cell (Cells at Work!)
  • A2 (NieR: Automata)
  • Gaige (Borderlands)
Amongst a whole catalogue of others.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Let's see...some of her roles include:
  • Makoto Niijima (Persona 5)
  • Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail) (No doubt one of her most famous roles)
  • Rhea (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  • Caeda (Fire Emblem)
  • Noi (Dorohedoro)
  • Plutia (HyperDimension Neptunia)
  • Anaak Jahad (Tower of God)
  • Rottytops (Shantae)
  • Kris & Mina (Pokemon Masters)
  • Red Blood Cell (Cells at Work!)
  • A2 (NieR: Automata)
  • Gaige (Borderlands)
Amongst a whole catalogue of others.
I actually still need to watch fairy tail, but i know a few of those others

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I think the 2hu fighting games don't have VA because they are clearly a very low-budget indie operation and paying for VA for 12-24 characters costs $$$. That's not a problem for Smash.
I think I remember ZUN himself saying that he chooses not to have voices in his games, because he wanted his games to give off a sort of retro-arcade feeling when people play them. In an interview in his radio show, Nikenme Radio, He mentions that he would be dissapointed at the mere idea of having his characters being voiced in the PS4 exclusive of 14.5 and says, "I'll do my best to prevent it." I think he wouldn't even be able to afford to pay all of those voice actresses anyways, at least back then.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Mega Man having no voice whatsoever in Smash makes him seem kinda creepy too! As I said, I think the most important thing for Reimu in Smash would be selling as many people on Touhou as possible rather than adhering to some perception of purity to the original games, and VA of some kind makes the character a lot more accessible.
I don't think VA will affect or even sell the series to many people honestly, selling Touhou with a character that isn't even voiced in the OG game is such a false advertisement, even if in MvC MegaMan talks in his original series he is mostly mute cause authenticity matters which Sakurai going as far as using the original sound effect (tho he is a robot and I'm well aware that Ness were voiced despite being mute). I'm mostly fine if she only grunts but having her fully talks is more weird since I mostly love how fans interpret her voice.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think VA will affect or even sell the series to many people honestly, selling Touhou with a character that isn't even voiced in the OG game is such a false advertisement, even if in MvC MegaMan talks in his original series he is mostly mute cause authenticity matters which Sakurai going as far as using the original sound effect (tho he is a robot and I'm well aware that Ness were voiced despite being mute). I'm mostly fine if she only grunts but having her fully talks is more weird since I mostly love how fans interpret her voice.
We're talking whether she should have even just effort noises or be completely silent.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
In terms of Reimu having a voice, I think grunts and **** is the least they can do. She doesn't have to talk or anything, but being completely mute would just be a bit awkward. Even the Ice Climbers have that much.
Hero was originally going to be completely mute before the Switch version of DQ11 was announced. Reimu could be voiceless in reference to the OFFICIAL Touhou games (and by ZUN's request). There are assist trophies that have no voice clips when they should've (like Ashley).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hero was originally going to be completely mute before the Switch version of DQ11 was announced. Reimu could be voiceless in reference to the OFFICIAL Touhou games (and by ZUN's request). There are assist trophies that have no voice clips when they should've (like Ashley).
She could be. She could also be voiced in Smash because ultimately, it's alternate interpretations from person to person that's part of the magic of Touhou.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I feel like we should have ourselves a little democratic vote just for the topic considering how long we've been debating this, lol. Though, I wouldn't care that much if they give her a voice in the game anyway, I'm on team no voice! We shall call ourselves team ANARCHY!

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
On the voice or no voice for Reimu if she gets in, would you all like a poll at the top of the thread?

As for me, it doesn’t really matter, if she’s in, she’s in.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
On the voice or no voice for Reimu if she gets in, would you all like a poll at the top of the thread?

As for me, it doesn’t really matter, if she’s in, she’s in.
Wait, you mean that literally?! I only said that as a joke, LOL! Sure, I'm down for a poll! TEAM ANARCHY!!!!

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Wait, you mean that literally?! I only said that as a joke, LOL! Sure, I'm down for a poll! TEAM ANARCHY!!!!
If there's gonna be a poll, then just note that if Reimu does get in, the choice with the most votes may not necessarily be the official outcome.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Points in favor of giving Reimu a voice:

El Numero Uno: The Magic of Interpretation
As mentioned before, part of the magic of the Touhou Project is the interpretation of not just the characters, but in the story and world they're in: you'd be surprised to find just how many interpretations are in even the slightest details in Touhou. From the over-the-top comedy of Warugaki to the gothic setting and dark interpretations of Koumajou Densetsu, the interpretations are through the roof. If Sakurai were to put Reimu in Smash, then it would be HIS interpretation of the world of Gensokyo and its inhabitants, and his alone.

El Numero Dos: Other Mute Characters in Smash Have Voices
Ever since Smash 64, normally-mute characters have been given talking voices. Ness and Lucas. Captain Falcon. Pit. Meta Knight. Marth and Roy. They normally could never talk by the time they debuted in the Smash series, yet Smash seems to have greatly developed their vocal cords. Hell, this is still a thing that happens today, with Arusu, Solo, and Eight, alternate costumes for the Hero, getting their own voices in the mix, too! Reimu having a talking voice would not be too out there as far as I'm concerned.

El Numero Tres: Reimu Has Had A Voice Before
Believe it or not, despite not being the case in the official video games, Reimu has been given VAs in other Touhou-related media. Mai Nakahara in Summer Day's Dream, Kanzaki Kanari in Touhou M1 Grand Prix, Asami Imai in The Sealed Esoteric History, there are a good number of VAs who have provided their voices to Reimu, because since it was their interpretation, they were free to give Reimu a voice. Sakurai giving Reimu a voice would just be par for the course in terms of the many interpretations of Touhou.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, we are really doing this. 😶

If there's gonna be a poll, then just note that if Reimu does get in, the choice with the most votes may not necessarily be the official outcome.
Oh, I should've clarified that this didn't need clarifying. Trust me, I am totally aware that this is not going to affect her chances of getting a voice or not, because there is still a chance of her not even getting in the game at all.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Voice or no voice doesn't really matter to me, but I'd prefer if they went with no dialogue similar to Melee Roy, Ness, Marth, etc. Mostly because I prefer having a JP VA for series so popular and loved in that region moreso than anywhere else. That and you have like 3 candidates for a female english VA like every other animu game. If you want bonus points, make a taunt show a dialogue up box directly from one of the games as a callback.

But then again, that's if the stars align and we get that sweet miniscule chance she'll get in. So not likely.

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
I’m not sure if it’s been brought up before, but what logo do we think Smash would use for the Touhou Project? Is there an official one that I haven’t seen before? Or would it just be “REIMU” in a generic font…

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’m not sure if it’s been brought up before, but what logo do we think Smash would use for the Touhou Project? Is there an official one that I haven’t seen before? Or would it just be “REIMU” in a generic font…
In my honest opinion, they could just make one from scratch. I imagine it being the Touhou kanji in Japanese inkbrush style with the English "Touhou Project" being splayed over it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I imagine the options would be the shrine logo for the 25th anniversary, a Yin Yang symbol or something like this:

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
I imagine the options would be the shrine logo for the 25th anniversary, a Yin Yang symbol or something like this:

I like this one! I didn’t know it existed, thank you for bringing it to my attention :).
The lack of a constant logo for the project definitely felt detrimental to her chances, even though they’ve been more than able to make boring stand-in logos when necessary.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
The lack of a constant logo for the project definitely felt detrimental to her chances, even though they’ve been more than able to make boring stand-in logos when necessary.
Hey, Don't worry so much. I thought the same thing as well. I thought it would be extremely detrimental, and that it would be the biggest obstacle she would have to get through, then I realized it really doesn't matter.

If you want bonus points, make a taunt show a dialogue up box directly from one of the games as a callback.
You know what would be extremely cute? If they could get her to do all those wacky expressions that ZUN draws in the games as her taunt! Smug faces, clouds puffs and everything! I would coo and gaw so much~
Dammit, we just need to get everything cute from the original games and put it in this game!

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
You know what would be extremely cute? If they could get her to do all those wacky expressions that ZUN draws in the games as her taunt! Smug faces, clouds puffs and everything! I would coo and gaw so much~
Dammit, we just need to get everything cute from the original games and put it in this game!
Imagine you get 0-3'd by some anime girl and she hits you with this face.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
She certainly could be, I just think it would be a bad idea that would make her come across as weird to the broader audience. Slavish faithfulness to the original games when they operate in a completely different genre and context isn't automatically a good idea (example: I certainly don't think anyone would argue that Reimu should be implemented as a top-down sprite to be faithful to the original games!)

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
(Spy voice)
Gentlemen,

I will be going away for 5 days, because.... I gotta eat all these nightmares! Y-yeah, that's it, that's totally it! Everyone seems to be experiencing this collective fever dream that simulates a pandemic of some sort. Well, do not worry, everyone! I'm sure you'll wake up in a different reality from this one where we're all in gensokyo and instead of the residents killing you, you'll get to sniff each other's hair and put flower crowns on jizou statues! IT'LL BE OVER GUYS I PROMISE I TOTALLY PROMISE
(Ok, in all seriousness, I'm going to a camping trip with my sister. I hope you can come up with interesting ideas while I'm gone!)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
CAVE has aquired the licensing rights for Touhou. This is huge lol. Touhou wouldn't exist if it wasn't for CAVE and a lot of people wouldn't know about CAVE games if Touhou wouldn't have introduced them to shmups. It's probably just gonna be a mobile game unfortunately but there's at least some hope it could be on PC.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
WAIT A F***ING MINUTE!! There were 3 cave STG's that made it onto the Switch last month in the E3 direct, and they were Japan-only! Listen, I'm not saying anything about Reimu's chances in Super Smash Bros, let's just appreciate the face that CAVE GAMES ARE NOW ON SWITCH AND ARE COLLABING WITH TOUHOU! WE COULD BE GETTING MORE OFFICIAL TOUHOU GAMES ON THE SWITCH!

Wait, I'm not supposed to be here...
I mean, uh.... oooi'vealreadydisappearedandyouaremearleyhallucinatingallofthisooooo!

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
CAVE has aquired the licensing rights for Touhou. This is huge lol. Touhou wouldn't exist if it wasn't for CAVE and a lot of people wouldn't know about CAVE games if Touhou wouldn't have introduced them to shmups. It's probably just gonna be a mobile game unfortunately but there's at least some hope it could be on PC.
1CC players: I'm in danger

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
Oh dang! I just bought Mushihimesama on the Switch! (I highly recommend it if you haven’t played, it’s another shmup where you play as a magical girl instead of a spaceship)
WAIT A F***ING MINUTE!! There were 3 cave STG's that made it onto the Switch last month in the E3 direct, and they were Japan-only! CAVE GAMES ARE NOW ON SWITCH AND ARE COLLABING WITH TOUHOU! WE COULD BE GETTING MORE OFFICIAL TOUHOU GAMES ON THE SWITCH!
And the other day I was just thinking about how well done of a port it was to the original arcade version. If CAVE gets to port Touhou shmups, i promise they would be amazingly done and be worth your money.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice

INDIE SPIRITS at this moment?

kinda sus to me

zferolie

Smash Hero

INDIE SPIRITS at this moment?

kinda sus to me
Glad this game is getting more love. I keep meaning to play it but it looks fantastic

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Gonna use the silence to say that a Friends Dev Circle made a Game inspired by Touhou 1 ~ Highly Responsive to Prayers !
There was a problem fetching the tweet

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1551230/Demon_Slayer_Akagi/

In other, Touhou related news, Touhou Danmaku Kagura releases on August 4. Japan only Region Locked as usual.
Also the BeatMario collab album has a new song by ZUN which is mostly an arrangement of Eternal Shrine Maiden.

Staarih

Smash Master
Came across this for those interested, the Swacchao!-versions of Reimu and Marisa nendoroid available for preorder:

Last edited:
Top Bottom