• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
(Finally, My time to SHINE) * ahem * Since SharkLord SharkLord got to posting Minamitsu's announcement in 17.5 before I could, I might as well announce that today marks the 12th year anniversary of UFO! To celebrate, Here's a little meme video I made about a month ago! I've been dying to share this. Thank god that17.5 Minamitsu announcement game me an excuse to upload it...

(Could you believe that this is my first time editing something outside of simple song mashups?! I haven't even used this software before(VideoPad), so I had to figure out EVERY. SINGLE. FUNCTION And completed it in a few days! Took a whole lot of trial and error.)

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Hey so I don't know if anyone's aware of this yet but playable Murasa
About time someone made another character be on a playable role, never really guessed Murasa earn that spot first since she's practically on the "not so popular" spectrum of Touhou. But regardless her new design look so cool, now she look like a captain of her own ship.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
From the recent Nikenme Radio Stream

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Random question, what Touhou fangames would you recommend? I feel like I need to play more of those (Sans Luna Nights, which I've already played). Preferably ones that can run on the Switch or a potato-tier laptop, since I'm kinda limited in that regard.

(Also I feel like we might want to update the list of games on the Switch on the main page? I feel like there's been a couple changes by now).

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Random question, what Touhou fangames would you recommend? I feel like I need to play more of those (Sans Luna Nights, which I've already played). Preferably ones that can run on the Switch or a potato-tier laptop, since I'm kinda limited in that regard.
For the Nintendo Switch, pretty much any Touhou game is nice to look into (except for Touhou Kobuto)
Genso SkyDrift is fun if you manage to get a lobby together.

Touhou Genso Wanderer -Reloaded- you will probably get the most content out of it. If you like Mystery Dungeon RPGs then you will really enjoy this one. Its likely one of the most "Touhou Fanservice-heaviest" games on Switch in regards to content.
Other games worth mentioning are Touhou Spell Bubble and Touhou Sky Arena.

On another note, I was surprised to see Source Gaming upload a video of Reimu for their "All Content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" series.
Give it a watch.~

Rikarte

Smash Ace

(Also I feel like we might want to update the list of games on the Switch on the main page? I feel like there's been a couple changes by now).
Play Touhou Puppet Dance Performance. It's a very well made Pokemon clone with a ton of heart put into it and it even features online netplay. Recently fans even made a mod that adds characters + locations from the games past LoLK. Can't recommend it enough, seriously.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I don't really play any of those "official-looking" Touhou fangames, but I have tried out a few Danmakufu scripts. Seriously, you should try them out! Even if some of them look outdated, but these scripts are free, and these well be some of the FUNNIEST games you will play as a Touhou (and even undertale) fan. I've only played Koishi Hell and a few others, but here are some videos on Youtube that I'm sure you'll like!

By AJS, probably the best Danmakufu scriptor:

There are some others made by other people, but these are just way to good. All of them should have links to download the games files in the descriptions. Just make sure you have the Danmakufu program and follow all the readme's to set up the game after downloading them (some games require the old dnh program, and some require the updated one).

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, CAVE made a Google Survey regarding their fangame of Touhou! It's basically like a 2nd Touhou Popularity poll. It will be running until Seotember 3rd.

Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdabna6QFS5DER8xt3VnXx56P3zTQt5AQcaUgTzK85RJ6ZCAw/viewform
(google) Translation (cannot answer): https://translate.google.com/transl...R8xt3VnXx56P3zTQt5AQcaUgTzK85RJ6ZCAw/viewform

One of the questions reads,
"From the following characters except "Reimu Hakurei" and "Marisa Kirisame", please tell us up to 3 characters you want to implement at the time of game release in this game work."

Obviously, my three choices were:
New Canvas.png

1. Himemushi Momoyo
2. Himemushi Momoyo
3. Himemushi Momoyo

Like, there is no other way to answer it, lol! It's a friggin' CAVE game!
(If you're wondering how I know this... I'm a 4chan lurker. Yes, I know, I know, Disgusting. But I genuinely would not have known about this otherwise. I lurk 4chan quite frequently. One thing I can tell you when you look at any thread is to never take anything they say on there seriously, because they don't even take what they say seriously. ...especially on the /jp/ board.)

Last edited:

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
For the Nintendo Switch, pretty much any Touhou game is nice to look into (except for Touhou Kobuto)
Genso SkyDrift is fun if you manage to get a lobby together.

Touhou Genso Wanderer -Reloaded- you will probably get the most content out of it. If you like Mystery Dungeon RPGs then you will really enjoy this one. Its likely one of the most "Touhou Fanservice-heaviest" games on Switch in regards to content.
Other games worth mentioning are Touhou Spell Bubble and Touhou Sky Arena.

On another note, I was surprised to see Source Gaming upload a video of Reimu for their "All Content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" series.
Give it a watch.~

quite detailed

but I have some issues about his classic mode choices

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
The Classic Mode Route was my biggest gripe about this too. Way too unrealistic and way out there in terms of how all the other classic mode routes look like.
You can do this without fairy stand-ins. Referencing EoSD is probably the easiest to replicate yeah. As lame and overdone that is.

Otherwise pretty neat.

Last edited:

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
I had a few issues with this video. It is very pre-Mountain of Faith heavy, with little to no care for any games after it (the music selection just barely). I think the cameos are poorly selected and should definitely be more varied, it’s the Hakurei Shrine, not the Scarlet Devil vacation home. Otherwise, I quite liked the care and attention to detail, and the moveset is very interesting!

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
Apparently, CAVE made a Google Survey regarding their fangame of Touhou! It's basically like a 2nd Touhou Popularity poll. It will be running until Seotember 3rd.

Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdabna6QFS5DER8xt3VnXx56P3zTQt5AQcaUgTzK85RJ6ZCAw/viewform
(google) Translation (cannot answer): https://translate.google.com/transl...R8xt3VnXx56P3zTQt5AQcaUgTzK85RJ6ZCAw/viewform

"From the following characters except "Reimu Hakurei" and "Marisa Kirisame", please tell us up to 3 characters you want to implement at the time of game release in this game work."

View attachment 328213

1. Himemushi Momoyo
2. Himemushi Momoyo
3. Himemushi Momoyo

(If you're wondering how I know this... I'm a 4chan lurker. Yes, I know, I know, Disgusting. But I genuinely would not have known about this otherwise. I lurk 4chan quite frequently. One thing I can tell you when you look at any thread is to never take anything they say on there seriously, because they don't even take what they say seriously. ...especially on the /jp/ board.)
The only thing that concerns me about this poll is the last question, basically confirming that they’re making a gacha game / mobile game. I was really hoping for a Touhou CAVE shmup…

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 328213

1. Himemushi Momoyo
2. Himemushi Momoyo
3. Himemushi Momoyo

1630287835222.png

Google Translate is a gift

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that concerns me about this poll is the last question, basically confirming that they’re making a gacha game / mobile game. I was really hoping for a Touhou CAVE shmup…
Yeah, that was the main gripe that everyone on that thread I was reading had. I believe, as of the mid 2010's, they have been making these type of games. However, they have always been in the style of shoot-em'-ups. I don't believe this one will be any different.

I had a few issues with this video. It is very pre-Mountain of Faith heavy, with little to no care for any games after it (the music selection just barely). I think the cameos are poorly selected and should definitely be more varied, it’s the Hakurei Shrine, not the Scarlet Devil vacation home.
I am SOOOO glad someone else thinks the same way I do. That is actually my concern regarding the poll and how they'll make the final product. I have vented about this (among other things) in a previous post regarding my frustrations with the Touhou fandom (East and West, but it's even worse in the west) and judging by the question I showed, many people would probably pick the same cast that is featured in SO many other fanworks, which will probably reinforce the belief that Modern touhou is not good or interesting. I HATE that EVERY. SINGLE. FANDOM has its Genwunners. I just hate how they make people feel like sh** for liking what they like! It doesn't even have to be bad, these people will always try to convince you that what you like is sh** and that you're a sh** person for liking it!

* Ahem * So, yeah. What I'm trying to say here is, I would not care about who they put in these games if it weren't for that.

But it doesn't have to be this way, if we ALL VOTE MOMOYO TO BE IN THIS GAME ALREADY! COME ON, WHY NOT VOTE FOR THE LIVING, BREATHING CAVE REFERENCE TO BE IN A CAVE GAME?!

Google Translate is a gift
DeepL sometimes translates it to Heilongjiang, lol. I swear, these two never translate the name of this game correctly.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Alright people I know jack **** about Touhou Project but if Reimu got in Smash and brought only ten songs with her, what would you say are the best? And for added challenge - pick songs solely from games that ZUN has worked on.
1) Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe
2) Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
3) Eternal Shrine Maiden
4) Bad Apple
5) Native Faith
6) Luna Clock ~ Luna Dial
7) Dragon-King-Slaying Princess
8) Where Is That Bustling Marketplace?
9) Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
10) Secret God Matara ~ Hidden Star In All Seasons

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Alright people I know jack **** about Touhou Project but if Reimu got in Smash and brought only ten songs with her, what would you say are the best? And for added challenge - pick songs solely from games that ZUN has worked on.
First of all: Hi, welcome! Please mind my insane ramblings and fangirling with awkward wording choices. Hopefully, they won't turn you off of this thread...

Second: The Gensoukyou the Gods loved. Yeah, just The Gensoukyou the Gods loved, the unofficial anthem of the series. Literally any other song could be a contender for the list, just so long The Gensoukyou the Gods loved is guaranteed to get in the game.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I am SOOOO glad someone else thinks the same way I do. That is actually my concern regarding the poll and how they'll make the final product. I have vented about this (among other things) in a previous post regarding my frustrations with the Touhou fandom (East and West, but it's even worse in the west) and judging by the question I showed, many people would probably pick the same cast that is featured in SO many other fanworks, which will probably reinforce the belief that Modern touhou is not good or interesting. I HATE that EVERY. SINGLE. FANDOM has its Genwunners. I just hate how they make people feel like sh** for liking what they like! It doesn't even have to be bad, these people will always try to convince you that what you like is sh** and that you're a sh** person for liking it!
You seem to be very confused. If more people like old Touhou, it should be the one that's represented. No one's forcing you to think old Touhou is best, but you have to accept it if you're in a minority, otherwise you would be doing what you seem to hate, that is forcing your taste onto others. You can't blame fans for making fan content about what they like. If you feel some character is under-represented, it's your duty to create something to make her look good and give her the representation she deserves. If nobody's making it, it means that character isn't inspiring enough. That's just how Touhou works, so if you hate that, you'll have a hard time with Touhou.

Personally, I'm not excited at all by that CAVE game, I don't feel this is who Touhou needs. That said, I looked into their last mobile game "world witches united front", and the gameplay is actually quite close to Touhou already, but it doesn't look like a good game honestly.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
1. Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
2. Love Colored Master Spark
3. Flowering Night
4. U. N. Owen was Her?
5. Legendary Illusion ~ Infinite Being
6. Strawberry Crisis!!
7. Plain Asia
8. Judgement in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years
9. Necrofantasia
10. Pierrot of the Star Spangled Banner

I definitely didn't deliberately pick different songs than Goliso, Nope!

Well you kinda preempted me with this post. I've been thinking about making my own prompt for a "forum speculation game" music list kinda deal, but I couldn't really decide on what the best parameters were. I guess 10 songs is fine for those purposes lol.

But (thankfully) I doubt Reimu would come with so few tracks. As has been said many times before, there's no reason to think ZUN wouldn't be extremely generous with song licensing, nor does Touhou have a shortage of great songs to choose from. Idk what amount Sakurai would go with, but 50 tracks (as speculated in the SourceGaming Video) is as good a guess as any.

Besides, even as a forum game, I think 10 tracks is a little restrictive. The lists will probably end up looking fairly generic as most of the tracks will be what's popular & agreed to be good with either a regency or nostalgia bias and maybe a few eclectic tracks that are added as personal favorites.

Still, since you posted first I don't mind waiting to post my version, since it'd be redundant. Plus I'd like to see other people's answer to your prompt.

And hey! It's been a while since I've posted. Not too much interesting to talk about lately. But I've been lurking off and on anyway.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
You seem to be very confused. If more people like old Touhou, it should be the one that's represented. No one's forcing you to think old Touhou is best, but you have to accept it if you're in a minority, otherwise you would be doing what you seem to hate, that is forcing your taste onto others. You can't blame fans for making fan content about what they like. If you feel some character is under-represented, it's your duty to create something to make her look good and give her the representation she deserves. If nobody's making it, it means that character isn't inspiring enough. That's just how Touhou works, so if you hate that, you'll have a hard time with Touhou.

Personally, I'm not excited at all by that CAVE game, I don't feel this is who Touhou needs. That said, I looked into their last mobile game "world witches united front", and the gameplay is actually quite close to Touhou already, but it doesn't look like a good game honestly.
Honestly, thank you for telling me this. I've already admitted, I often have trouble with wording my sentences, even in the outside world, when conversing with others. This has been something I have been struggling with for the longest time, and I don't really know why. I could spend minutes constructing a sentence in my head, or rewriting a sentence I want to submit, and it still wouldn't turn out right. I didn't mean to make you think that way about me, I just felt (very) strongly about what is basically an opinion—an opinion that doesn't matter more than everyone else's.
I appreciate when anyone makes any content regarding Touhou—Hell, some of my fondest memories are of all those super old PVs that people made that were on Niconico 13 years ago—and I still enjoy it the same way I did whwn I first knew about it, I just wish more people could see what I see in ALL of Touhou, and that some would not act like there's nothing to enjoy anymore. That's kinda frustrating. Regardless of what my original message was, you're right, I can't force people to like what I like. Appreciate you, man.

1. Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
2. Love Colored Master Spark
3. Flowering Night
4. U. N. Owen was Her?
5. Legendary Illusion ~ Infinite Being
6. Strawberry Crisis!!
7. Plain Asia
8. Judgement in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years
9. Necrofantasia
10. Pierrot of the Star Spangled Banner

I definitely didn't deliberately pick different songs than Goliso, Nope!

Well you kinda preempted me with this post. I've been thinking about making my own prompt for a "forum speculation game" music list kinda deal, but I couldn't really decide on what the best parameters were. I guess 10 songs is fine for those purposes lol.

But (thankfully) I doubt Reimu would come with so few tracks. As has been said many times before, there's no reason to think ZUN wouldn't be extremely generous with song licensing, nor does Touhou have a shortage of great songs to choose from. Idk what amount Sakurai would go with, but 50 tracks (as speculated in the SourceGaming Video) is as good a guess as any.

Besides, even as a forum game, I think 10 tracks is a little restrictive. The lists will probably end up looking fairly generic as most of the tracks will be what's popular & agreed to be good with either a regency or nostalgia bias and maybe a few eclectic tracks that are added as personal favorites.

Still, since you posted first I don't mind waiting to post my version, since it'd be redundant. Plus I'd like to see other people's answer to your prompt.

And hey! It's been a while since I've posted. Not too much interesting to talk about lately. But I've been lurking off and on anyway.
Hey, welcome back! You didn't miss much.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I was digging through my mess of a room trying to find [REDACTED] when I decided to uncover this: a red basket that held all of these tiny cutout dolls of Touhou characters that my sister made for me! She covered all of the windows games at the time, and even one PC-98 character (I know it only shows a couple characters for 13, but I remember her making cutouts of the characters from that game and 14 as well). Can you believe these dolls just turn 7 years old? They have been cramped up in that basket for that long! We literally made a time capsule, and I went back in time. Sorry for the poor quality recording.

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
Heheh, good thing ZUN works on all of the games, by himself!
* indicates a new remix.
1. *Dream Medley (Eternal Shrine Maiden, Maiden’s Capriccio, Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly) refer to this
2. The Gensokyo the Gods Loved
3. *Love-Colored Master Spark
4. Touhou Retro Medley (in the same vein as Kirby Retro Medley, includes several PC-98 songs)
5. Complete Darkness
6. Tomboyish Girl in Love (Hisoutensoku ver.)
7. *U.N. Owen Was Her?
8. Faith is for the Transient People
9. Necrofantasia (Magical Astronomy ver.)
10. Entrusting This World to Idols ~ Idolatrize World

It’s so hard to properly define Touhou Project in only ten songs, ZUN literally makes these games as music videos for his songs. I think this is a good combination of awesome themes and popular themes that people would want to see in Smash.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So somebody contacting PapaGenos brought up something interesting:
This post on the official Smash Facebook oddly says "84" fighters, and not 82. This sounds rather suspicious to me.

I'm posting here because while the Tweet predicts the Galaxy Team Explorer with Pokemon Trainer-style mechanics to promote Legends Arceus, I think this revives the idea I had pre-Pyra/Mythra for a Touhou character that can swap on the fly. But this time, I think this time, it'll be more like Pokemon Trainer's swap mechanics for good reason.

Most Windows-era Touhou games have had at least 3 playable characters, with the exceptions being EoSD (Albeit there were plans to include a third for it RIP Rin Satsuki), Mountain of Faith, and Subterranean Animism. The first two playable characters are obviously Reimu and Marisa, who have been mainstays in the Windows era since it began. But what about the third? Let's break down the candidates:

• Sakuya Izayoi: The Perfect and Elegant Maid who debuted in EoSD, Sakuya has seen consistent enough popularity to be a playable character in 4 separate mainline games. She'd arguably be a good candidate because of her knife-based attacks and a potential Time Freeze mechanic a la Axl Low in Guilty Gear Strive. She's also the one to have joined Reimu and Marisa in the Taiko no Tatsujin crossover alongside Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight, too, so there's an added benefit.
  • Youmu Konpaku: For those who want to piss off the "anti-swordfighter" crowd. Youmu Konpaku made her debut in PCB, and has apparently garnered enough popularity to be the one character with the most mainline playable appearances, clocking in at 5 appearances total. What's got her at an advantage is that she's a dual-wielder, something that Lloyd Irving fans say would give him an added appeal, and playing as a half-phantom would be pretty fun.
  • Sanae Kochiya: The "good girl" of the quintet, Sanae is a Stage 5 boss that made her debut in Mountain of Faith as Reimu's rival. Sanae is a demigod shrine maiden of the Moriya Shrine with power over miracles. She, like Sakuya, has made 4 playable appearances in the mainline games. While Sanae is still a popular character, it would be strange to have two playable shrine maidens in Smash as opposed to a time-stopping maid or a sword-toting half-phantom, but hey, she's still a viable option.
  • Reisen Udongein Inaba: The "useless bunny only good for her sex appeal", Reisen Udongein Inaba is a character who made her debut as a Stage 4 boss in Imperishable Night. She has only made two playable appearances, one in PoFV and the other in LoLK, and though she has a reputation as the butt-monkey of the IN group, Reisen has shown to be combat-capable, and her signature Lunatic Red Eyes could give her a very unique mechanic revolving around control reversal, or perhaps illusions she can make for foes at any time.
  • Aya Shameimaru: The last of the non-Reimu, non-Marisa playable characters is the fastest living being in the entire Touhou franchise, Aya. She is a tengu reporter who has an infamous reputation for spinning up outlandish headlines for the Bunbunmaru newspaper. Although she shares Reisen's status as being playable in only two games, one in PoFV and the other in HSiFS, Aya has a distinct advantage of being ZUN's admitted favorite character, with jokes actually going around about how she's his wife.
So, here we have our candidates. Now I don't know if our final challenger pack is consisting of Fighters 82, 83, and 84, or just 82, but if this tweet is anything to go by, I think this might be the case. Having a Touhou Challenger Pack with 3 playable characters Pokemon Trainer-style would be sort of unique, though I don't know how well it would fit the spirit of Touhou aside from just traditions. Furthermore, with the other playable characters changing with each new entry in the series, it can be rather difficult to pinpoint exactly who would be the third playable character out of the five above. But regardless, I just wanted to throw this out there.

Last edited:

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
I never would have thought that we could get more than two Touhou girls in a single slot, let alone two. I've always believed that if Touhou got a fighter in Ultimate it would only be Reimu. I'm so used to seeing how the fighting games and Rivals of Aether modders treat her and always thought it would only work with one girl.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
So somebody contacting PapaGenos brought up something interesting:
This post on the official Smash Facebook oddly says "84" fighters, and not 82. This sounds rather suspicious to me.

I'm posting here because while the Tweet predicts the Galaxy Team Explorer with Pokemon Trainer-style mechanics to promote Legends Arceus, I think this revives the idea I had pre-Pyra/Mythra for a Touhou character that can swap on the fly. But this time, I think this time, it'll be more like Pokemon Trainer's swap mechanics for good reason.

Most Windows-era Touhou games have had at least 3 playable characters, with the exceptions being EoSD (Albeit there were plans to include a third for it RIP Rin Satsuki), Mountain of Faith, and Subterranean Animism. The first two playable characters are obviously Reimu and Marisa, who have been mainstays in the Windows era since it began. But what about the third? Let's break down the candidates:

• Sakuya Izayoi: The Perfect and Elegant Maid who debuted in EoSD, Sakuya has seen consistent enough popularity to be a playable character in 4 separate mainline games. She'd arguably be a good candidate because of her knife-based attacks and a potential Time Freeze mechanic a la Axl Low in Guilty Gear Strive. She's also the one to have joined Reimu and Marisa in the Taiko no Tatsujin crossover alongside Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight, too, so there's an added benefit.
  • Youmu Konpaku: For those who want to piss off the "anti-swordfighter" crowd. Youmu Konpaku made her debut in PCB, and has apparently garnered enough popularity to be the one character with the most mainline playable appearances, clocking in at 5 appearances total. What's got her at an advantage is that she's a dual-wielder, something that Lloyd Irving fans say would give him an added appeal, and playing as a half-phantom would be pretty fun.
  • Sanae Kochiya: The "good girl" of the quintet, Sanae is a Stage 5 boss that made her debut in Mountain of Faith as Reimu's rival. Sanae is a demigod shrine maiden of the Moriya Shrine with power over miracles. She, like Sakuya, has made 4 playable appearances in the mainline games. While Sanae is still a popular character, it would be strange to have two playable shrine maidens in Smash as opposed to a time-stopping maid or a sword-toting half-phantom, but hey, she's still a viable option.
  • Reisen Udongein Inaba: The "useless bunny only good for her sex appeal", Reisen Udongein Inaba is a character who made her debut as a Stage 4 boss in Imperishable Night. She has only made two playable appearances, one in PoFV and the other in LoLK, and though she has a reputation as the butt-monkey of the IN group, Reisen has shown to be combat-capable, and her signature Lunatic Red Eyes could give her a very unique mechanic revolving around control reversal, or perhaps illusions she can make for foes at any time.
  • Aya Shameimaru: The last of the non-Reimu, non-Marisa playable characters is the fastest living being in the entire Touhou franchise, Aya. She is a tengu reporter who has an infamous reputation for spinning up outlandish headlines for the Bunbunmaru newspaper. Although she shares Reisen's status as being playable in only two games, one in PoFV and the other in HSiFS, Aya has a distinct advantage of being ZUN's admitted favorite character, with jokes actually going around about how she's his wife.
So, here we have our candidates. Now I don't know if our final challenger pack is consisting of Fighters 82, 83, and 84, or just 82, but if this tweet is anything to go by, I think this might be the case. Having a Touhou Challenger Pack with 3 playable characters Pokemon Trainer-style would be sort of unique, though I don't know how well it would fit the spirit of Touhou aside from just traditions. Furthermore, with the other playable characters changing with each new entry in the series, it can be rather difficult to pinpoint exactly who would be the third playable character out of the five above. But regardless, I just wanted to throw this out there.
I think "84" refers to the total number of slots for the Character Select Screen in Version 11, not the grand total of fighters excluding echoes.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think "84" refers to the total number of slots for the Character Select Screen in Version 11, not the grand total of fighters excluding echoes.
Huh. Just counted them up. What a weird way to tally it up. Why would they say "84 Fighters" and not "80" at the time of writing? That's just misleading. They could've just said something like "With this addition, we have 80 unique fighters and 7 Echos on the roster!" Back to square one, I guess...

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that seems like a pretty obvious mistake. But if Touhou were to get 3 fighters, it would be Reimu then Marisa then Sakuya 100%

Top Bottom