• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie
We discussed the Facebook post on Reimucord and concluded it’s almost definitely just a silly typo, it happens.
I don’t think a Touhou rep would use swapping between characters, though. Perfect Possession doesn’t really define the series properly, it’s only in one game, and outside of that you always choose one character and stick with them for your whole credit. Considering how faithfully the Smash developers have portrayed Terry, Kazuya, Sephiroth, etc., I can only see Reimu with a moveset lightly based on the fighting games with completely new shmup-esque special moves.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
We discussed the Facebook post on Reimucord and concluded it’s almost definitely just a silly typo, it happens.
I don’t think a Touhou rep would use swapping between characters, though. Perfect Possession doesn’t really define the series properly, it’s only in one game, and outside of that you always choose one character and stick with them for your whole credit. Considering how faithfully the Smash developers have portrayed Terry, Kazuya, Sephiroth, etc., I can only see Reimu with a moveset lightly based on the fighting games with completely new shmup-esque special moves.
Um, the whole vharacter swapping mechanic has been a thing in another game as well. It was in the 8th game, in which there were 4 groups of two, with each team member consisting of one human and one youkai. I don't think it would be out of place for Smash to stay true to the source material.

Also,

AAAHHHHH hOLY SH** GolisoPower GolisoPower USED MY PICTURE AS HIS PP! THIS IS THE BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE!!! I...feel so honored...!
Can I...marry you? please onegai senpai uwu?

(And scene)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Um, the whole vharacter swapping mechanic has been a thing in another game as well. It was in the 8th game, in which there were 4 groups of two, with each team member consisting of one human and one youkai. I don't think it would be out of place for Smash to stay true to the source material.

Also,

AAAHHHHH hOLY SH** GolisoPower GolisoPower USED MY PICTURE AS HIS PP! THIS IS THE BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE!!! I...feel so honored...!
Can I...marry you? please onegai senpai uwu?

(And scene)
HUH????
1631074857332.png

Uhh...I honestly don't know what to say to that lol

But seriously, glad you're happy.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 330034
It's this girl right here. She's called Lulu. She first appeared in WarioWare Gold. I can understand how you could mistake her for Reimu, though.
Lol, watching other people see Touhou references in where there's nothing, and doing it yourself, is so amusing. It's like a fun little pass time for us Touhou fans. (I love it, never stop doing it!)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Regardless, I just wanna know if there's gonna be a Direct this week so we can get our final fighter.

EDIT:
SO EVERYBODY LISTEN THE HELL UP:

Ever since 2017, Nintendo has had a Direct about a week before the Tokyo Games Show. This year's TGS starts on September 30th and ending October 3rd. So guess what? WE MIGHT ACTUALLY GET A DIRECT THIS WEEK! Let's hope there's an announcement for a Direct tomorrow!

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Regardless, I just wanna know if there's gonna be a Direct this week so we can get our final fighter.

EDIT:
SO EVERYBODY LISTEN THE HELL UP:

Ever since 2017, Nintendo has had a Direct about a week before the Tokyo Games Show. This year's TGS starts on September 30th and ending October 3rd. So guess what? WE MIGHT ACTUALLY GET A DIRECT THIS WEEK! Let's hope there's an announcement for a Direct tomorrow!
Hopefully, it will be happening before the end of the week, 'cause I have a birthday coming up! (And yes, I fully expect everyone on this thread to bring me scalped fumo plushies from the internet if Reimu isn't the last DLC fighter~)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hopefully, it will be happening before the end of the week, 'cause I have a birthday coming up! (And yes, I fully expect everyone on this thread to bring me scalped fumo plushies from the internet if Reimu isn't the last DLC fighter~)
You know, this makes me remember that theory that the colors of the DLC fighters will be almost entirely mirrored.
1632112906565.jpeg

If that's the case, I'd say Reimu would be a perfect, albeit indirect, fit because from what I remember, purple is a very common and significant color in the Touhou Project franchise. From some of the games being dominantly purple (PCB, Imperishable Night, etc) to a big chunk of the cast's color schemes being majorly purple (Yukari, Reisen, Byakuren, Sumireko), the color's dominance could be scaled back to as far as Highly Responsive to Prayers!

And before you go about saying "Reimu's color would have to be red because that's also a pretty major color", I'd argue that's only the case because Reimu herself is red. Besides, Terry's color is blue for some reason when it could logically be red, so I'm personally holding out my nervousness-laden hope.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, guys, big hypothetical question before we get our final reveal: what would be the most obscure tipoff that it would be Reimu that isn't apparently obvious?

With Sephiroth we didn't know it was him until OWA started playing. For Steve, we couldn't tell it was him until after the in-game fights with Mario and noticed the blocky environment and projectiles. For the Belmonts it was some of the monsters. For Hero, it was the Luminary riding the horse.

So what would be something to put in the trailer that only tells the most diehard of fans that she's in?

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Okay, guys, big hypothetical question before we get our final reveal: what would be the most obscure tipoff that it would be Reimu that isn't apparently obvious?

With Sephiroth we didn't know it was him until OWA started playing. For Steve, we couldn't tell it was him until after the in-game fights with Mario and noticed the blocky environment and projectiles. For the Belmonts it was some of the monsters. For Hero, it was the Luminary riding the horse.

So what would be something to put in the trailer that only tells the most diehard of fans that she's in?
It shows Mr. Sakurai looking for the letter because he misplaced it and forgotten where it is. Next thing we know, it ends up in Gensokyo. Boom, done.

* mic drop *

Last edited:

sessian

Smash Rookie

Letter sitting in darkness, lit only by a slatted pattern of lights. Cut to a letter's-eye view of someone in shadow, lifting the cover off the donation box.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

A character gets chased by Cirno's icicle projectiles (we then don't see Cirno until a bit after) before ending up in the Hakurei Shrine and getting saved by Reimu.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice

Reimu helping Simon beat the s**t out of Dharkon

Last edited:

gooeyPhantasm

Smash Rookie

I think Nintendo would absolutely reference the Bad Apple doujin music video, with black & white silhouettes of all the DLC characters so far ending with Reimu catching an invitation.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I think Nintendo would absolutely reference the Bad Apple doujin music video, with black & white silhouettes of all the DLC characters so far ending with Reimu catching an invitation.
huhuhuhu when that's the one that everyone thinks is gonna happen lol

Has any smash trailer ever made any references to popular internet memes of the game or character they are revealing? I think this would be extremely unlikely if not. Still like to see it anyways!

(By the way, in case anyone cared, yes, that Nintendo Direct announcement nearly did put me in a hospital. If Reimu gets announced and I die, will anyone kill this game with it so that I may get to play this game in Gensokyo? We all know I know both of us are gonna be forgotten anyway, so I'd wanna speed up the process.)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
(By the way, in case anyone cared, yes, that Nintendo Direct announcement nearly did put me in a hospital. If Reimu gets announced and I die, will anyone kill this game with it so that I may get to play this game in Gensokyo? We all know I know both of us are gonna be forgotten anyway, so I'd wanna speed up the process.)
I mean, you could always commission Nitori to recreate it, she's practically the ingenious inventor in Gensokyo.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
huhuhuhu when that's the one that everyone thinks is gonna happen lol

Has any smash trailer ever made any references to popular internet memes of the game or character they are revealing? I think this would be extremely unlikely if not. Still like to see it anyways!

Ridley being too big to be in Smash

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I don't know if you guys saw it already or not, but Houshou Marine supports Reimu for Smash too, though she's also sad that she won't be able to stream her reaction since her throats hurts right now

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
OK here me out about the last trailer

The incident happens after Sephiroth killed Galeem. (just like Banjo happened after K.Rool)

Since Galeem is gone, it's Dhakron's ture to murder all the characters. (We haven't see how Dhakron "exactly" kill those characters in previous trailers)

Finally, the last DLC character is the ONE saving others from Dhakron and put an end to the whole "World of Light" thing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
While i really want reimu shown today, i honestly dont think we will get the final fighter today. I think at most we will be told when the sakurai presents will be.

I do think we may see some smash news, like some extra stages, or some ither new updates. A big dream is a nice surprise echo fighter pack shadow dropping, if sakurai found time to make some a few echos. Ms Pac Man, Medusa, Black Shadow, and Impa

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
While i really want reimu shown today, i honestly dont think we will get the final fighter today. I think at most we will be told when the sakurai presents will be.

I do think we may see some smash news, like some extra stages, or some ither new updates. A big dream is a nice surprise echo fighter pack shadow dropping, if sakurai found time to make some a few echos. Ms Pac Man, Medusa, Black Shadow, and Impa
I think that they probably would have told us if there wouldn't be Smash news in this Direct.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Well guys, this is it. This is the moment we've been waiting for. Even if we don't get Reimu or any other touhou character for smash, at least we've all had fun discussing and speculating who it might be. Maybe the Reimu in Smash is the friends we made along the way. My 7-month stay on this thread has been a wild ride. But alas, we will have to part ways soon. * sniff * Trying not to cry...

I LOVE EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!!! I'M GONNA MISS YOU ALL!!!!!

blondes, video games, Touhou, death, tears, long hair, friends, purple hair  - Free Wallpaper / WallpaperJam.com

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Well then, looks like this is gonna be the end of this long ride. And what a ride it was! Even if Reimu doesn't show up as our fabled final fighter Touhou has had a never seen before boom in the western speculation scene. Despite being short, there were moments where all eyes were turned on her and that's very impressive for such a niche character. Seeing new people get into Touhou and discover genuine love for a franchise that is so dear to me was honestly just amazing. That's the power of Smash!
I don't think Reimu is gonna be our last character but one can still hope... gonna post all the DorimeDoremys I have for some good luck!
1632413517876.png

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Well then, looks like this is gonna be the end of this long ride. And what a ride it was! Even if Reimu doesn't show up as our fabled final fighter Touhou has had a never seen before boom in the western speculation scene. Despite being short, there were moments where all eyes were turned on her and that's very impressive for such a niche character. Seeing new people get into Touhou and discover genuine love for a franchise that is so dear to me was honestly just amazing. That's the power of Smash!
I don't think Reimu is gonna be our last character but one can still hope... gonna post all the DorimeDoremys I have for some good luck!
View attachment 331273
Aw, is that supposed to represent me?

Well, don't mind if I do~

Top Bottom