• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
Hey ho, First time posting but lurkin' for a really long time always wanted to talk about Reimu as a smash concept but deathly fearful of human interaction so never have. Figured now's as good a time as any as I really just want to post a bit about Reimu both as a character and in smash after binge playing through a tonne of Gensou Wanderer and replaying Megamari recently all I got is touhou on the brain.

Anywho the big thing I wanted to talk about is the premise of Reimu's moveset. More the idea of how people usually suggest she work. Long range zoner floaty projectile monster. Which is like the most intuitive way to make her, but to me I've always thought she'd be way more interesting if she was built around a big concept of risk and grazing as well as a unique gimmick of having a P meter, after all, in most touhou games staying far away all the time is asking to be killed and it's all about weaving in and out of ranges all the time.

I thought of a few fun mechanics that would be unique to Reimu that may or may not be busted or super flawed in reality. First being that in my head she wouldn't have a shield at all. Instead using the shield button would put her in focus mode, making her semi transparant with a glowing red orb around her waist area, rather than projecting a shield Reimu shrinks her hitbox while turning the rest of her body into a graze box. Grazing a move would add to her P meter which ranges from 1.0 to 5.0 with her specials becoming stronger after each full number is achieved. With her neutral b just being her ofuda that cover more and more space/do more and more damage as her power raises but not flinching the enemy like a fox laser unless she fires it while focused. Stuff like rolling through attacks or parrying moves would also give her graze effect and points towards her P meter in different rates.

The other neat concept I thought would be fun would be if every stage had a "collection line" where you could knock p blocks out of your opponent with strong hits that would fall slowly and vanish if they touched the ground, but having her go high on the stage past the collection point would suck them all into her, giving her more Risk vs reward by giving up positional advantage for power.

Sorry for the big old text block froma nobody out of nowhere with their first post on a random tangental topic! As for being on topic I actually think her victory theme should be "Today's front page headline" from Hopeless masquerade, with one of her victory poses being her throwing the advertisement of the Hakurei shrine into the camera.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So uh

azure Reflections is great but I kinda uhhhh suck at it

even on easy lmao

mechanics are solid tho. Maybe I’ll turn on having the hit box be visible at all times

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Hey ho, First time posting but lurkin' for a really long time always wanted to talk about Reimu as a smash concept but deathly fearful of human interaction so never have. Figured now's as good a time as any as I really just want to post a bit about Reimu both as a character and in smash after binge playing through a tonne of Gensou Wanderer and replaying Megamari recently all I got is touhou on the brain.

Anywho the big thing I wanted to talk about is the premise of Reimu's moveset. More the idea of how people usually suggest she work. Long range zoner floaty projectile monster. Which is like the most intuitive way to make her, but to me I've always thought she'd be way more interesting if she was built around a big concept of risk and grazing as well as a unique gimmick of having a P meter, after all, in most touhou games staying far away all the time is asking to be killed and it's all about weaving in and out of ranges all the time.
I had another idea for Reimu, Reimu's down special could be switching between different shot types. And her neutral special could be firing her shots.

To everyone in this thread merry christmas!

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
how's Azure Reflections and Sky Arena Matsuri CLIMAX?
Azure Reflections is a more forgiving bullet hell in general, it's got fun voices, plus some extra gimmicks and a lot of optional accessories to combine to make the game harder, easier, or just different.

Sky Arena is a cool, fast aerial arena fighter, but, as is common with many 3D flying games, the sudden camera movements can be dizzying when you and your opponent zip around. Pretty much all the characters felt good to control however.

Gensou Skydrift and Sky Arena both have pretty short story modes, so they don't have too much solo play content.
azure Reflections is great but I kinda uhhhh suck at it
I had trouble getting used to the game even with a decent amount of bullet hell experience. Going from keyboard to controller for sure didn't help me either.

Just keep at it!

Last edited:

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
I had another idea for Reimu, Reimu's down special could be switching between different shot types. And her neutral special could be firing her shots.

To everyone in this thread merry christmas!

For me I think it'd be funny if her down B was a bomb. Probably not Fantasy Seal cause you want to save that for her Final Smash so Evil Sealing Circle could work. where you get 2 bombs and it becomes useless like banjo's feathers once used up. I was toying around with the idea of her bombs not recovering when she lost stocks but allowing her to deathbomb if she saved her two bombs till the final "zoom in" hit of the game if you hit Down b just right you halt your momentum and knock your foe off you resetting neutral like a Burst in Guilty gear or something giving you a super strong limited resource attack that if you choose to forgo can allow you one get out of jail free card when you really need it, really brings in the feel of deathbombing in the games where a DB takes 2 bombs to use as opposed to a normal one.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
For me I think it'd be funny if her down B was a bomb. Probably not Fantasy Seal cause you want to save that for her Final Smash so Evil Sealing Circle could work. where you get 2 bombs and it becomes useless like banjo's feathers once used up. I was toying around with the idea of her bombs not recovering when she lost stocks but allowing her to deathbomb if she saved her two bombs till the final "zoom in" hit of the game if you hit Down b just right you halt your momentum and knock your foe off you resetting neutral like a Burst in Guilty gear or something giving you a super strong limited resource attack that if you choose to forgo can allow you one get out of jail free card when you really need it, really brings in the feel of deathbombing in the games where a DB takes 2 bombs to use as opposed to a normal one.
Ok a deathbomb would be really funny. Imagine a 10 game last stock last hit Grand Finals ends with a deathbomb no u!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Of course Fantasy Seal would be her final smash. Also, I thought that Reimu could have a stance switch that allows her to toggle her gohei on and off. The same could go for Marisa, Youmu, and Sanae with their respective melee weapons.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Merry Christmas!

Here's a Smash video!

Maybe something more Yukkuri oriented tomorrow, lol.

Last edited:

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
Ok a deathbomb would be really funny. Imagine a 10 game last stock last hit Grand Finals ends with a deathbomb no u!
Well I wouldn't want it to feel super unfair or anything so in my head the deathbomb would have a fixed knockback so you couldn't like reverse kill someone with it unless you used it in a really weird understage position. More of a "get off me" option. Using the bomb normally however would be really strong to make up for the fact you only get 2 or 3 per game. More or less push the opponent to the other side of the stage where both characters more or less regain control at the same time.

I also think she could have a really fun variation of the "down-air dive kick" where you can hit down A again in the middle of your animation to open up a portal below her and another one slightly above and infront of her so she goes in one and out the other, mimicking one of her moves in Hopeless masquerade.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Azure Reflections is the only Touhou game I've played and it's pretty good. I do want to play more of the shmup fan spinoffs and the mainline Touhou games. I did thought Marisa and Cirno were pretty cool. Which makes me wonder if Cirno ever got into Smash Ultimate what type of Final Smash she would have. I know she would have ice based attacks for her moveset.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
Azure Reflections is the only Touhou game I've played and it's pretty good. I do want to play more of the shmup fan spinoffs and the mainline Touhou games. I did thought Marisa and Cirno were pretty cool. Which makes me wonder if Cirno ever got into Smash Ultimate what type of Final Smash she would have. I know she would have ice based attacks for her moveset.
Perfect freeze but it only hits enemies that are above or below her and has a complete miss on anyone directly in front of her even if they're crouching like the true strongest would.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I already have my list of songs in my SSBU X Touhou page. You can see it here:
https://fantendo.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate_X_Touhou_Project#Music
Yep, that's right. 106 songs. Yeah, definitely went overboard on this one.

But it was worth it.
I read through this, noted a few errors (like listing the same mix of Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple twice), but the biggest complaint I can think of is this- why the hell is Suwako represented by Ivysaur and not, y'know, Greninja, given Suwako's frog motif?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I read through this, noted a few errors (like listing the same mix of Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple twice), but the biggest complaint I can think of is this- why the hell is Suwako represented by Ivysaur and not, y'know, Greninja, given Suwako's frog motif?
I thought Ivysaur was sufficiently froggy enough, and that it fit Suwako a bit better since it was a slower Grass-type Pokemon. Seeing as Suwako's an earth goddess, I felt a Grass-type would fit her better than a Water-type.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
I thought Ivysaur was sufficiently froggy enough, and that it fit Suwako a bit better since it was a slower Grass-type Pokemon. Seeing as Suwako's an earth goddess, I felt a Grass-type would fit her better than a Water-type.
Suwako uses Earth plant based and water attacks in Hisoutensoku so either Ivysaur or Greninja work for her. She spits watter from her mouth can make a bunch of bubbles water teleport. An for plants she can spawn a lilypad and also instantly grow a tree out of the ground to smack people with villager style. I do think if you do a Suwako spirit as Ivysaur it'd be better for it to be a paired Spirit with Kanako as Charizard with an Ore club or gust bellows, with prince sable periodically spawning in as an assist trophy. since he can turn into a frog and a snake for his attacks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Suwako uses Earth plant based and water attacks in Hisoutensoku so either Ivysaur or Greninja work for her. She spits watter from her mouth can make a bunch of bubbles water teleport. An for plants she can spawn a lilypad and also instantly grow a tree out of the ground to smack people with villager style. I do think if you do a Suwako spirit as Ivysaur it'd be better for it to be a paired Spirit with Kanako as Charizard with an Ore club or gust bellows, with prince sable periodically spawning in as an assist trophy. since he can turn into a frog and a snake for his attacks.
The... Ore Club...
Of course there should be an Ore Club...

Guess I just blanked on that one. In hindsight I probably should've spruced up Sanae's Spirit Battle a little more. Though, for Kanako as Charizard, I felt like Palutena would fit best, being the elegant and worshipped goddess and all. Suwako's quirkier in comparison, and gets the Pokemon instead.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
The... Ore Club...
Of course there should be an Ore Club...

Guess I just blanked on that one. In hindsight I probably should've spruced up Sanae's Spirit Battle a little more. Though, for Kanako as Charizard, I felt like Palutena would fit best, being the elegant and worshipped goddess and all. Suwako's quirkier in comparison, and gets the Pokemon instead.
The main thing I'd be going for with Charizard is just to have the natural link form in peoples mind that these two characters are inherently linked, just like how Ivysaur and Charizard are in Smash, you definitely need prince sable to be a big part in both their and Sanae's Spirit battle though. But yeah my first thought when seeing Kanako as an option my brain said "yes Ore club"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, lets just say Reimu gets a Terry tier amount of music. What songs would she come with? Remixes? Please I want some tunes to listen to as I play some DKC 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, lets just say Reimu gets a Terry tier amount of music. What songs would she come with? Remixes? Please I want some tunes to listen to as I play some DKC 2.
if doujin leak is true, they'll probably all be remixes from famous circles as im sure also ZUN's "No Ripped Assets" rule for non-official 2hu games includes the music

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
I'll toss in a song list as well as describe my weird idea for a stage for her as well (it's relevant!)
Seen lots of people suggest just the hakurei shrine, but I think it'd be more fun if the stage was a travelling one, starting at the shrine then as night falls travelling through the sky and over the misty lake encountering Rumia Daiyousei and Cirno on the way before setting down in front of the Scarlet Devil mansion where Meiling is there and a hazard when hazards are turned on.

After a short while it rises again and you can see Flan moving past the windows of the mansion as the stage rises and passes by the library on its way to the roof where it sets down again near the clock tower and Remi and Sakuya can be seen.

It then begins to snow and pulls out into the sky where you encounter Letty then flies over the lost village of Mayohiga, with Chen flying past followed by Alice in the skies above Gensokyo before it settles on the great gate to the netherworld with one half of the stage being the living world and the second half being the etheral world of Hakugyokurou the music chosen becomes louder as the Prismrivers come on screen and lily white begins throwing cherry blossoms around.
The music then fades and becomes quieter as the prismrivers are left behind and it shifts fully into the netherworld where it sets down one last time at the Saigyou Ayakashi and we see Yuyuko and Youmu before finally passing through a gap to end up back at the shrine now with all the characters in the previous scenes at the shrine for a party in addition to Ran and Yukari, as well as a light haze around the stage.

The stage then repeats but with none of the characters in their backgrounds, if the match lasts long enough for a second lap of the stage the haze dissipates and Suika is there at the party, encapsulating EoSD PCB and Immaterial and Missing power in one package.

As for songs based on this stage idea I'd say all stage and boss themes from EoSD to IaMP should be included as well as Maidens Capriccio, Mystical Oriental Love Consultation & Dichromatic Lotus butterfly both zunpets versions as well as smash specific remixes of them, Same for Marisa's themes.Beyond those boundaries there's a bunch of songs I think are needed.
Also even though I cut it down to mostly "important" character songs with a few exceptions I still ended up with a playlist of 85 songs sheesh. Tried to pull from a variety of genres in the playlist and obvs a lot of these are proxies for "Smash made version of X song."

1. Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly~ Ancients.
2.Mystic Oriental Love Consultation
3. Maidens Capriccio Immaterial and missing power version.
4. Maidens Capriccio ~ Dream Battle.
5.Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path : Reimu's Hopeless masquerade theme.
1.A Soul as red as a ground cherry EoSD Stage 1.
2. Apparitions Stalk the Night: Rumia's theme.
3.Lunate elf ~ EoSD stage 2 : Daiyousei's theme.
4. Beloved Tomboyish girl : Cirno's Theme.
5. Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea EoSD stage 3
6.Shanghai alice of Meiji 17 : Hong Meilings Theme.
7. Voile the Magic LIbrary: EoSD stage 4
8.Locked girl ~ The girls secret room: Patchouli Knowledge theme.
9.The Maid and the pocket watch of blood: EoSD Stage 5.
10. Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial: Sakuya Izayois' boss theme.
11. Lunar Dial ~ Luna Clock: Sakuya Izayois' boss theme arrange.
12. Flowering night : Sakuya Izayoi alternate theme.
13. The young descendant of Tepes~ Septette for the dead princess. : EoSD stage 6 theme + Remilia Scarlet boss theme.
14. Septette for the dead princess Scarlet Weather Rhapsody arrange. : Remilia Scarlet theme
15. Septette for the dead princess Immaterial and missing power arrange: Remilia Scarlet theme
16. The Centennial Festival for Magical girls: EoSD EX stage theme.
17. The Centennial Festival for Magical girls arrange : EoSD ex Stage theme arrange.
18. U.N. Owen was her? : Flandre Scarlets' Boss theme.
1.Paradise ~ Deep Mountain : PCB Stage 1 theme
2. Crystalized Siler: Letty Whiterocks' boss theme.
3.The Fantastic Legend of Tohno: PCB Stage 2 theme.
4. Diao ye zong (Withered leaf) : Chens' Boss theme.
5. The Doll maker of Bucuresti : PCB Stage 3 theme.
6. Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With Peoples' Shapes : Alice Margatroids' theme.
7. The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky: PCB stage 4 theme.
8. Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble : The Prismriver Sisters' theme.
9. Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensmeble COOL&CREATE : Prismrivers arrange (meme)
10. Mystic Oriental Dream~ Ancient Temple : PCB Stage 5 theme.
11. Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When? : Youmu Boss theme.
12. Ultimate Truth : PCB Stage 6 theme.
13. Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Border of Life. Yuyuko Saigyoujis' theme.
14. Border of Life arrange. : Yuyuko Saigyouji's theme arrange.
15. Charming Domination: PCB EX stage theme.
16. A maidens Illusionary Funeral - Necro-Fantasy: Ran Yakumos' theme.
17. Necrofantasia : Yukari Yakumos' theme.
1.Broken Moon : Suika's theme.
2.Broken Moon Scenario version : Different Arrange of Suikas Ibukis' theme.
3.Oni's Island in the Fairland ~ Missing Power : Suika Ibukis' Boss theme.
1.Magus Night: Marisa Kirisames' theme.
2,Magus Night arrange.
3.Dance of Witches : Alternate Marisa Theme.
4.Love Coloured Master Spark : Marisa's main theme.
5.The Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl : Ichirin Kumois' theme.
6.The Lost Emotion : Hata No Kokoros' theme.
7.Heartmann's Youkai girl : Koishi Komeijis' theme.
8. Futatsuiwa from Gensokyo/Sado : Mamizou Futatsuiwas' theme.
9.Shoutoku Legend~ True Administrator: Toyosatomimi no Mikos' theme.
10. Omiwa Legend/ Legend of the great gods. :Mononobe no Futos' theme.
11. Inchlings of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess : Shinmyoumaru Sukuna's theme.
12. Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind : Byakuren Hijiris' theme.
13.Tomorrow will be Special yesterday was not folk arange. . : Mountain of Faith EX theme, represents Suwako Moriya who's theme I think doesn't fit the pace of Smash.
14. The Venerable Ancient Battlefield: Kanako Yasakas' theme.
15.Wind God Girl : Aya Shimeimaru's theme.
16. Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's"Kappa" ~ Candid Friend. : Nitori Kawashiros' theme.
17.The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Watched: Mof Stage 5 theme/Sanaes' secondary theme.
18. Faith is for Transient People : Sanae Kochiyas' theme.
19. Higan Retour ~ Riverside View: Komachi Onozuka's theme.
20. Fate of Sixty Years : Shikieiki Yamaxanadus' theme.
21. Feint Dream~ Inanimate Dream : Yuuka Kazami's theme.
22.Pure Furies~ Whereabouts of the Heart : Junkos' theme.
23. Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess : Kaguya Houraisans' theme.
24. Gensokyo Millennium ~ history of the moon. : Eirin Yagokoros theme.
25. Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon : Reisen Undongin Inaba's theme.
26.Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke: Fujiwara No Mokou's theme.
27. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion : Utsuho "Okuu" Reiuji's theme.
28. Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye : Satori Komeiji's theme.
29.Pandemonic Planet : Hecatia Lapislazuli's Theme
1. Today's Front Page Headline: Touhou Hopeless masquerade victory theme, (What I would like as Reimus win theme in Smash.)
2. Youkai Back Shrine Road: Ten Desires EX stage theme.
3.The Gensokyo The Gods Loved : MoF stage 3 theme, iconic often considered the "Theme" of Gensokyo itself.
4.Lets Live in a lovely Cemetary : Ten Desires Stage 3 theme, Personal preference.
5.The Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner : Clownpieces' theme.
6. Dullahan Under the Willows. Sekibankis' theme.
7. Plain Asia : Keine Kamishirasawa's theme.
8. Mecha Patchouli the Final Battle: Megamari Patchouli Knowledges final boss battle. (personal bias again)
9. Bad Apple : Elly's theme.
10. Kid's Festival ~ Innocent Treasures. : The theme of Maribel and Renko, as well as ZUN himself.
11. Wedding Day ~ Innocent Treasures orchestral Arrange.
12. Theme of Eastern Story: The main recurring theme of the touhou series.
Playlist of songs listed.

I legit been working on this post for like 3 hours or something holy moly, Hope you like the playlist oxo.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Seen lots of people suggest just the hakurei shrine, but I think it'd be more fun if the stage was a travelling one
I had that kind of idea as well, except not just the locales from EoSD and PCB, but also from other works- Eientei and the Bamboo Forest, the Human Village, the Forest of Magic, Myouren Temple, the Divine Spirit Mausoleum, the Palace of the Earth Spirits, the Former Capitol, going the whole nine miles.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh now that I’ve played enough Azure Reflections I think they’ll base Reimu’s model off that with some liberties

It’s PERFECT for Smash.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
I had that kind of idea as well, except not just the locales from EoSD and PCB, but also from other works- Eientei and the Bamboo Forest, the Human Village, the Forest of Magic, Myouren Temple, the Divine Spirit Mausoleum, the Palace of the Earth Spirits, the Former Capitol, going the whole nine miles.
I thought about that but I thought it'd be too much for a stage to see it all and I liked the thematic loop with Immaterial and Missing power as well as the consistency of retracing the narrative steps of the characters exactly rather than just zipping right to the stage 6 areas of each game.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
As we head into the new year, remember to keep your expectations accordingly. Even if Reimu doesn't get it (which is likely), we'll still have a good amount of upcoming Touhou content in 2021!
Uh, what Touhou content will we get in Smash? I can imagine Reimu getting a mii costume with additional music.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Been playing through Luna Nights on the Switch and it has been a great time! Glad it finally came out on the Switch, as I can see myself playing it again and again whenever I have the time. It makes me really hope that Sakuya gets some sort of representation if Reimu gets in, but that isn't exactly an unlikely cameo in the first place.
Currently trying to deal with Flandre. Only got to her once so far and died to the second phase when I got stuck in the mass lazer attack. When I saw that I would have to fight the Nitori part of the fight again, I decided I had enough for the night. I am curious though, would you guys suggest selling all the gems and buying upgrades or saving them up? I already sold enough where she has some sort of power boost, so I imagine I can't do any more harm than I already have. There is the boost the gems give, but I can't tell if its worth it.

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Been playing through Luna Nights on the Switch and it has been a great time! Glad it finally came out on the Switch, as I can see myself playing it again and again whenever I have the time. It makes me really hope that Sakuya gets some sort of representation if Reimu gets in, but that isn't exactly an unlikely cameo in the first place.
Currently trying to deal with Flandre. Only got to her once so far and died to the second phase when I got stuck in the mass lazer attack. When I saw that I would have to fight the Nitori part of the fight again, I decided I had enough for the night. I am curious though, would you guys suggest selling all the gems and buying upgrades or saving them up? I already sold enough where she has some sort of power boost, so I imagine I can't do any more harm than I already have. There is the boost the gems give, but I can't tell if its worth it.
[/Soiler]
If Reimu makes it in i'm pretty sure she would atleast get a spirit.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
[/Soiler]
Generally, the gems only give a minor boost unless you've been grinding like a loon. Whenever you're stuck on a boss, you're better off stocking up on healing items and memorizing their patterns. Don't be afraid to just do some throwaway matches to see how their attacks work.
Also, get the Lost Holy Sword. That thing is a lifesaver.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I myself got Luna Nights and it’s a blast, lemme tell ya! I feel like the one thing I struggle with a lot is the grazing. I know it’s generally how you recover MP and HP (Albeit marginally), but half the time I just get hit and take damage. Got any advice? I just beat Marisa and am on my way to Patchouli for context as to where I am right now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I myself got Luna Nights and it’s a blast, lemme tell ya! I feel like the one thing I struggle with a lot is the grazing. I know it’s generally how you recover MP and HP (Albeit marginally), but half the time I just get hit and take damage. Got any advice? I just beat Marisa and am on my way to Patchouli for context as to where I am right now.
To be honest I didn't end up using Grazing that much. It's a lifesaver in boss fights, though; The projectile spam lets you stock up on MP during timestops, and each boss seems to have one specific attack that's just Graze fodder once you figure it out. Once you find that one attack, you can get a breather in the middle of the chaotic projectile spamming.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Even though it's a totally different genre, most of the good Touhou advice actually still applies. Similar to deceptive hit/hurtboxes in the bullet hells, the window for grazing is slightly larger than the projectiles and enemies themselves so you don't have to get as close as you might think. Focus on small, tight movement. If you run around too much you're more likely to be hit by random crap. You'd also be surprised how much you can duck/slide underneath. Grazing might only recover slight health, but it really does add up. Especially on later bossfights, even if you get hit every attack pattern, there's usually one or two where you recover so much health you can extend the fight in perpetuity without the health items from the store. I really admire that skill-based game design: if you can hang on, graze, and get in one or two shots here and there you will win, so long as you can keep up your execution. Honestly it's very generous. But if you're still having trouble, explore and find the health upgrades, they make a huge difference.

Also Chainsaw's OP

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In terms of subweapons, Stun Knife is pretty good for quick, direct damage, Chainsaw is great for flying enemies, and Lost Holy Sword is basically free damage, though kinda impracticale since it's a very late-game weapons and chews through MP like crazy. Thousand Daggers is good for brute forcing your way through things, but for boss fights is might be better to focus on quicker, less costly subweapons.

Narp

Smash Cadet
In my experience, the generic enemy hitboxes are a little inconsistent so grazing can be really tricky, and trying to jump over some enemies, inside and outside of time stop, is a bit of a pain. Boss hitboxes seem a lot more consistent and lenient however.

Thousand Daggers can also be used to get maximum graze from many attacks. It's costly, but the graze will sometimes recover all that MP and then some, not to mention the HP. The i-frames also ensure you don't take too much or any damage if the graze allows you to spam it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The biggest trick for grazing is to always be charging and using time slow (not time stop). You can have it up nigh-constantly if you're always using it. It may seem at first that you don't need it thanks to being able to stop time, but it has better uptime than stopping time and it makes grazing way, way easier.

Top Bottom