• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Soulor

Smash Cadet
So I just completed Luna Nights 100%.

When I first played it on PC long ago I didn't get around to collecting everything, but this time I did!

Anyways, It's still good. Cool Cirno is included, a shame Rumia is not but oh well...

Eh, how does LUNATIC NIGHTS with Reisen as the main character sound? lol

A variety of guns and bullet types, maybe has something to do with the Lunarians, Wriggle, all that IN goodness.

edit: oh and I just found out a few days ago more DLC for spell bubble is available. Cirno side story and more music packs. Which is good, because I completed EVERYTHING a few weeks ago and was in serious need of more lv10 challenges to do and songs!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

When I first played it on PC long ago I didn't get around to collecting everything, but this time I did!

Anyways, It's still good. Cool Cirno is included, a shame Rumia is not but oh well...

Eh, how does LUNATIC NIGHTS with Reisen as the main character sound? lol

A variety of guns and bullet types, maybe has something to do with the Lunarians, Wriggle, all that IN goodness.
I was actually wondering who else would be a good Touhou metroidvania protagonist. Reisen sounds like a good pick, especially since it gives me an opportunity to shove Junko in there.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

Funny, I just did the same lol. Aside from Joycon drift which isn't the game's fault, still buttery smooth on controller; the game only stuttered once or twice. I was surprised how well I could handle the bosses by this point, the Final Boss only took me 1 try. And the Cirno fight was fun.

I'd like to see a follow up, especially one that's IN themed, but honestly I don't think it's in the cards. Narratively I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with a good link between Luna Nights and a sequel, although it's not like the story of this game isn't at least a little contrived. More importantly though, Team Ladybug seem to leave projects as one and dones, preferring to move on to new games.

Anyway, this playthrough cemented Luna Nights for me as a high bar of fangames. I hope more fan games of it's quality are made and come to the Switch, and I hope Luna Nights does well to encourage game designers/circles.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Say, I just realized: the Doujin leak might not be as farfetched as once thought:

The leak suggests that Doujin circles are responsible for making new remixes for Smash, and you guys have said that that's unlikely before. But here's one factor that brings credibility to this leak: Sephiroth. As of CP8, Final Fantasy has 3 tracks hailing from Advent Children, making these the first songs to hail from a movie of all things. While that admittedly seems to have nothing to do with the leak on the surface, what with movies and Doujin circles being two separate things and Sakurai being a massive Advent Children fan, it shows that Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to look to stuff beyond video games for Smash's music line-up.

In conclusion? The most divisive Final Fantasy movie ever is what may give the Doujin leak more credibility than when it was initially cast into the vast ocean that is the internet.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I think there's a difference between taking music from a non game medium vs having that remixed from outside. Probably the most compelling precedent on that front isn't the Advent Children music, but something from the base game: The Breath of the Wild E3 trailer music was remixed and put in smash. Still, I think the difference is not only are they taking from non-game sources, but most importantly they're letting outside parties in on the remix process rather than using the in-house/usual composers. That's what always felt shaky, since it seems risky to use a bunch of doujjin circles like that. I guess NDAs, Grant Kirkhope, etc... but with each circle added you increase the risk of leaks.

Either way, the doujin rumor has plenty more problems than just the music concerns. It's already like 2 years old for cryin' out loud!

Paraster

Smash Lord
Say, I just realized: the Doujin leak might not be as farfetched as once thought:

The leak suggests that Doujin circles are responsible for making new remixes for Smash, and you guys have said that that's unlikely before. But here's one factor that brings credibility to this leak: Sephiroth. As of CP8, Final Fantasy has 3 tracks hailing from Advent Children, making these the first songs to hail from a movie of all things. While that admittedly seems to have nothing to do with the leak on the surface, what with movies and Doujin circles being two separate things and Sakurai being a massive Advent Children fan, it shows that Nintendo and Sakurai are willing to look to stuff beyond video games for Smash's music line-up.

In conclusion? The most divisive Final Fantasy movie ever is what may give the Doujin leak more credibility than when it was initially cast into the vast ocean that is the internet.
Even before that, MEGALOVANIA and Spiral Mountain were arranged by Toby Fox and Grant Kirkhope, respectively, and they are both external from Nintendo.

Is that relevant or am I misinterpreting the implications of doujin circles doing arrangements?

Oborochi

Smash Rookie

Alright, if this is the 4-chan doujin circle leak you're talking, I'm sorry, but that wasn't "leak by any reason (unless you're talking about something else then please ignore this). It was a mistranslation (and possible miscommunication) leading to all of this confusion. As far as I know, the twitter account Reimu for Smash did contact some of the composers about the doujin circles composing for Smash. Due to poor communication and translation this led to the following results

"So they (Reimu for Smash) thought they got 3 circles saying that "Yeah, we heard rumors of Touhou people composing for smash."

When in actuality, what they actually said was "We haven't heard anything about Touhou getting in smash, but we heard that some of the people who composed for smash have done Touhou arrangements before". (such as ZUNTATA).

So, because of this huge misunderstanding, this created a "leak" that wasn't actually a leak. Also the leaker predicting things like Houshou Marine and Cool&Create collaboration, is not true, as this information was mentioned in the previous broadcast( and the doujin leaker just said that those things were a sign of Touhou popularity).

This is a post not say that'll ruin Reimu's chances, but rather to spread the right information to all readers.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean, I think there's a difference between taking music from a non game medium vs having that remixed from outside. Probably the most compelling precedent on that front isn't the Advent Children music, but something from the base game: The Breath of the Wild E3 trailer music was remixed and put in smash. Still, I think the difference is not only are they taking from non-game sources, but most importantly they're letting outside parties in on the remix process rather than using the in-house/usual composers. That's what always felt shaky, since it seems risky to use a bunch of doujjin circles like that. I guess NDAs, Grant Kirkhope, etc... but with each circle added you increase the risk of leaks.

Either way, the doujin rumor has plenty more problems than just the music concerns. It's already like 2 years old for cryin' out loud!
Pretty much all the composers for Smash are contracted except for those made by Bandai Namco's team (BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc.) so I don't think outside composers are too big a deal so long as they adhere to NDAs.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Say, about music and remixes, isn't the Touhou fighting game all have the music be remixed by different doujin circles? And considering the fighting game are all direct spin-off to the main game there's a high chance that they're directly work together with ZUN which shows that they're not just a random Touhou fans you found in the internet but someone that could be trusted like COOL&CREATE and U2 Akiyama to name a few who, like I said, directly work with ZUN.

although Ultimate is a big project for them even if it's for the sake ZUN it'll be easy to make their mouth shut.

Note; I'm not directly talking about the Doujin Leak.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Now i'm sad, i died at the last spell card in PCB. I almost completed my first 1cc....
That sounds like the average Yuyuko experience lol. I recommend moving up a little when she fires the red waves on Resurrection Butterfly. You can dodge the whole thing at the bottom but it's a lot harder imo. Good luck with your 1cc!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That sounds like the average Yuyuko experience lol. I recommend moving up a little when she fires the red waves on Resurrection Butterfly. You can dodge the whole thing at the bottom but it's a lot harder imo. Good luck with your 1cc!
Not complaining, but how difficult is the Touhou series?

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Assuming the doujin leak is real, what circles do you hope are included?
Personally I'm hoping for O-Life Japan or Floating Cloud.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Assuming the doujin leak is real, what circles do you hope are included?
Personally I'm hoping for O-Life Japan or Floating Cloud.
Demitori. I want those guitars.

Somehow getting Akatsuki Records tracks in there would be amazing. To think we could get Stack's vocals playing in the background as Solid Snake beats the %$#@ out if Creeper Sans on the Hakurei Shrine would be legendary.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
To everyone in this thread, speaking of Touhou music, what songs would you like to see in Smash?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
To everyone in this thread, speaking of Touhou music, what songs would you like to see in Smash?
Disclaimer: I probably have much less experience with Touhou and its music than everyone else here; most of the picks here are just cribbed from this playlist I found.

Theme of Eastern Story
Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle (my choice for a reveal trailer theme)
U.N. Owen Was Her?
Beloved Tomboyish Girl
Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Red and White
The Ground's Color Is Yellow
Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom
Necro-Fantasia

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Disclaimer: I probably have much less experience with Touhou and its music than everyone else here; most of the picks here are just cribbed from this playlist I found.

Theme of Eastern Story
Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle
U.N. Owen Was Her?
Beloved Tomboyish Girl
Necro-Fantasia
Already got some solid picks there 👌

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Like with previous entries of Touhou Mahjong,
ZUN is being added to the recent Touhou Genso Mahjong for Switch via DLC. (the Game is JP only)

Well there arent many series (albeit unofficial) where you are able to play as the creator himself.

Paraster

Smash Lord
The latter, to the point people spell it Raymoo for jokes
Ah. I kept pronouncing it the former.

I think that's because Reimu's name is extremely similar to Raimu (Rhyme) from TWEWY, and I always assumed that was pronounced "rhyme-oo" based on her nickname, so my brain did some transitive property shenanigans.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Like with previous entries of Touhou Mahjong,
ZUN is being added to the recent Touhou Genso Mahjong for Switch via DLC. (the Game is JP only)
Why is this game released exclusively in Japan?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do wonder tho what design Reimu would use

ZUN’s policy for non-Touhou games is you can’t use assets directly from the mainline games right? I imagine that includes her usual official designs. Maybe basing her design off one of her Figmas?

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice

Theme of Eastern Story
Maiden's Capriccio ~ Dream Battle (my choice for a reveal trailer theme)
U.N. Owen Was Her?
Beloved Tomboyish Girl
Necro-Fantasia
Some songs i would like to have in smash.

Flowering Night
Because Princess Inada is Scolding Me
Doll Judgment
The Gensokyo the Gods Loved
Hartmann's Youkai Girl
Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner
Dullahan Under the Willows
Septette For a Dead Princess
Diao ye zong
The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood
Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17

SharkLord

Smash Hero

ZUN’s policy for non-Touhou games is you can’t use assets directly from the mainline games right? I imagine that includes her usual official designs. Maybe basing her design off one of her Figmas?
I'd imagine the assets would just account for the in-game sprites and models and such. I think designs would be fair game, though seeing as the manga and fighters use more detailed designs I'd assume she'd have proportions based on those.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'd imagine the assets would just account for the in-game sprites and models and such. I think designs would be fair game, though seeing as the manga and fighters use more detailed designs I'd assume she'd have proportions based on those.
Plus, Spirits use their artwork from their original source.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

No, official assets in fan games is the sticking point. Most fan games stick pretty close to Reimu's typical outfit. Though, Reimu's outfit is changed, if only slightly, in basically every game so "standard design" has a bit of wiggle room. Sakurai would probably keep it very close to the official games.

Though, would ZUN's "no official assets" rule affect whether spirits get into the game? Probably not. The rule's likely there to stop people from being too lazy with their fangames, in the context of Smash I'd guess ZUN would understand what spirits are and be ok with it. Still worth considering ig, if only to dismiss the thought.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No, official assets in fan games is the sticking point. Most fan games stick pretty close to Reimu's typical outfit. Though, Reimu's outfit is changed, if only slightly, in basically every game so "standard design" has a bit of wiggle room. Sakurai would probably keep it very close to the official games.

Though, would ZUN's "no official assets" rule affect whether spirits get into the game? Probably not. The rule's likely there to stop people from being too lazy with their fangames, in the context of Smash I'd guess ZUN would understand what spirits are and be ok with it. Still worth considering ig, if only to dismiss the thought.
I feel like they’d definitely include one of her PC-98 costumes as an alt, like a throwback to her origins

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I feel like they’d definitely include one of her PC-98 costumes as an alt, like a throwback to her origins
I'd imagine PoDD or MS. I like the pants outfits, but they might be more trouble rigging than they're worth.

Edit: but even if they don't go all out and make a different model outfit, one of the alts will def be a PC98 recolor, purple hair and everything

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen/made any Reimu moveset concepts they really like?

I personally like BrawlFan1's. I know some in this thread have criticized it drawing from fangames, but I think that's a minor sticking point given there's only like two moves that are inspired exclusively by fan content; it wouldn't be too hard to revamp them into/replace them with something derived from the main games.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

I personally like BrawlFan1's. I know some in this thread have criticized it drawing from fangames, but I think that's a minor sticking point given there's only like two moves that are inspired exclusively by fan content; it wouldn't be too hard to revamp them into/replace them with something derived from the main games.
I've seen a couple, unfortunately though I didn't save any of them, plus mods for Rivals of Aether. Overall people stick close to what I think Reimu's moveset ideally should be (with wiggle room ofc), namely a mix of kicks and gohei strikes for physical attacks plus her plethora of projectiles (ofuda, needles, ying-yang orbs, barriers, general danmaku).

From a general playstyle, I think Reimu should have emphasis on her projectile game but still have solid normals. In the fighting games and bullet hells, she's generally portrayed as having middling to low mobility and being a general all rounder. I think smash should translate this to above average air mobility but below average ground mobility, and while she should have good projectiles her normals should be competent (think Zelda, Palu, Min-Min as examples of keep away characters with useable boxing)

In terms of moves, Sakurai generally has no compunction with taking moves straight from games of origin, so I think taking most of Reimu's moves from Each generation of fighting games is fine: it reduces the workload for the devs while keeping Reimu true to her origins. Throw in the slide kick from HRtP and you're basically good. I mean, the bullet hells don't offer too much for inspiration. Like, you could incorporate the homing amulets I guess, maybe a focus mode? I've seen some suggest a graze or power mechanic, but I wonder if that'd be overly complicated. Eitherway, in terms of move inspiration, you have to admit there's a lot more to take from the fighting games.

At this point, I think most people can visualize how Reimu would play. I know these days it's a cliché to say "Sakurai can give anyone a moveset, potential is not a reason for or against a character" but at least it's not something we have to debate on Reimu's part. If nothing else, there's a 15 year history demonstrating her viability in 2D fighters. Still, this shouldn't discourage people for putting together new moveset infographics together. Aside from their benefit in building support for Reimu, it's a fun endeavor to try and make a cohesive moveset and have others critique it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I've actually gone through quite a few Reimu movesets. I can't seem to decide on if I want to draw primarily from the fighters or If I want to freestyle, if I want her to be balanced or if I want to go more projectile-heavy, or how to implement Grazing, or if I want to incorporate shot switching, etc. There's the Reimu moveset in the Touhou Challenger's Pack that's linked in my signature, but I've already moved on to planning another moveset. I just can't make up my mind.

Top Bottom