• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I think I've settled on my new Reimu moveset. I've blown through so many of these. Hope this one will stick...
1609094147776.png

REIMU Crosses the Border!
Unlike my previous movesets, this one focuses mainly on adapting the gameplay mechanics and design philosophies of the mainline shoot-em-ups rather than creating a hodgepodge of gimmicks from various different sources. Of course, that isn't to say it's entirely based on the shooters. In fact, the majority of her animations are taken from other sources; The fighting games, Highly Responsive to Prayers, and Gouyoku Ibun. However, her pros, cons, and general playstyle is still largely based on the shooters, creating a unique interpretation of Reimu rather than taking a moveset from the fighters.

It should also be noted that she reuses a couple animations from other fighters, not out of laziness or lack of uniqueness, but because that's just what a lot of fighters do-For example, Joker has Sheik's up tilt, Hero has Ike's neutral aerial, Min Min has Sonic's down smash, etc.). It adds a bit of "realism" to the moveset, so to speak. It helps that some of her attacks from the actual games resemble some attacks from Smash.

Reimu's moveset is largely defensive, focused on staying out of harms' way with her high mobility and walling off opponents with her many projectiles. Reflecting Touhou's heavy usage of flight, Reimu has amazing aerial mobility, being able to move great distances without touching the ground even once. In addition, she has quite a few anti-zoning mechanics; If used right, projectiles can be rendered completely useless against her. However, she suffers from her light weight, being around Kirby's level, and lack of kill power. In addition, she has poor matchups against rushdown characters who can slip through her defenses, as well as fighters with long melee attacks who can bypass her defenses entirely.

Mechanics
  • Grazing - When Reimu is standing, walking, dodging, or using her up special, she becomes immune to projectiles. When this occurs, the Grazing sound effect from the Touhou games will play. Functionally, this is more or less the same as the shields used by the Links and the Heroes.
    Grazing is a staple of the series, occurring when the player just barely misses a projectile. This adds points to their score, so high-level players often go out of their way to cause Grazing to get a higher score. This mechanic is also present in the fighting games, where a fighter becomes immune to projectiles during a dash or a super jump; Ironically, this is more or less the inverse of Smash's take on the concept.
  • Shot Types - Reimu has two different shots, Hakurei Amulet and Persuasion Needle. In general, the Hakurei Amulet has a larger hitbox and is more defensive, while the Persuasion Needle is faster and stronger, and is better at offense. Reimu can switch between them with her down special, elaborated on below, and uses these shots for her jab, side tilt, up smash, forward and back aerials, up throw, and neutral special.
  • Reimu's gohei can destroy projectiles, much like the Belmont's whip. While this isn't directly taken from any Touhou media, it fits in with Reimu's anti-zoning capabilities and her distant nature.
  • When Reimu air dodges, she will stay in place after the dodge instead of falling, allowing her to maintain her position or right herself. This is an adaptation of Focusing and her ability to float, elaborated on under her up special.
Ground Attacks
  • Jab - Reimu shoots a volley of projectiles. Holding the button increases the duration of the move. The Hakurei Amulet has a wider spread, while the Persuasion Needle has slightly better range. Based on the standard shooting attack from the mainline games, as well as her 5B move from the ground fighters.
  • Dash Attack - A sliding kick. Pressing the button again causes Reimu to perform a flip kick. Based on the slide and Ascension Kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers, which in turn was adapted into the ground fighters.
  • Side Tilt - Reimu throws a larger-than-normal projectile. Based on the Hakurei Amulet and Persuasion Needle moves from the fighters.
  • Up Tilt - Reimu spins her gohei above her head. An original move, though it is based on her down tilt. Resembles Palutena's up tilt.
  • Down Tilt - Reimu spins her gohei on the ground. Based on her 2A move from the fighters. Resembles Palutena's down tilt.
  • Side Smash - A horizontal gohei swing. Based on her 6A move from the air fighters.
  • Up Smash - Reimu fires a projectile upward. Based on her shot move from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
  • Down Smash - Reimu creates a pair of barriers on either side. These barriers can deflect projectiles, much like Ness and Lucas' side smash or Min Min's up smash. An altered version of her Cautionary Border attack from the ground fighters. Resembles Pit's down special.
Aerial Attacks
  • Neutral Aerial - Reimu spins her gohei around herself like a fan. Based on her aerial attack from Gouyoku Ibun. Resembles Pit's neutral aerial.
  • Forward Aerial - Reimu fires three fast projectiles forward. The Hakurei Amulet spreads apart as it travels, while the Persuasion Needle deals more damage. Based on the Youkai Buster shot, specifically the version used in the fighters.
  • Back Aerial - Reimu fires a stream of projectiles behind her. Resembles her jab, but with less spread and more range. Based on her jumping 5B from the ground fighters.
  • Up Aerial - A flip kick. Based off the Ascension Kick from the fighters, which itself is adapted from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
  • Down Aerial - Reimu swings her gohei downward. An original move, though loosely resembles the killing blow used on the fortune teller. Also resembles Ike's down aerial, albeit a good deal faster.
Throws
  • Grab - Reimu traps the opponent using her Yin-Yang Orbs.
  • Pummel - Reimu sharply jabs the opponent with her gohei. Based off her far 5A move from the ground fighters.
  • Forward Throw - A crosscheck with the gohei. Based off her 6A move from the ground fighters.
  • Back Throw - Reimu warps the opponent behind her, then smacks them away with her gohei. Resembles Sephiroth's back throw.
  • Up Throw - Reimu throws the opponent upwards and fires a shot at them. Based on her shot move from Highly Responsive to Prayers, and resembles her up smash.
  • Down Throw - Reimu sticks a talisman on the opponent and throws them down, followed by the talisman exploding on the opponent.
Specials
  • Neutral Special - Options: Reimu fires a stream of projectiles from her Yin-Yang Orbs. Both shots have unique effects for this move. The Hakurei Amulet has a mild homing effect, and can be charged to increase the size, power, and homing capabilities. The Persuasion Needles are faster and stronger, and can be spammed by holding the button down.
    Options are a mainstay of the mainline games, being objects floating around your character that add some extra firepower to your shots. Depending on the game, you either have two Options or up to four. Reimu's Options are her ancestral Yin-Yang Orbs, elaborated on below.
  • Side Special - Yin-Yang Orbs: Reimu throws a Yin-Yang Orb forward. If it hits a wall, it will bounce off. The attack can be angled and charged, with the latter increasing the size, power, and speed of the orb. After a short amount of time, the orb will return to Reimu. Reimu can fire both orbs in rapid succession; During the attack, the Yin-Yang Orb will not fire projectiles during the neutral special. If charged, Reimu cannot fire the second orb.
    The Yin-Yang Orbs are magic, anti-youkai artifacts, and one of Reimu's signature items. In Highly Responsive to Prayers, Reimu had to guide a bouncing Yin-Yang Orb around the screen, while in the shooters they became Options. The fighting games have a move that harkens back to HRtP, which this attack is based on (Albeit shrunken down to fit in with the Option interpretation).
  • Up Special - Focusing: Reimu rises into the air, much like R.O.B.'s up special. Like R.O.B., Reimu does not go into freefall after using the move, allowing her to continue moving and attacking as usual. During this move, Reimu is capable of Grazing.
    Focusing is a very useful move from the mainline games that slows Reimu down and shows her hitbox, allowing her to dodge and Graze more easily. This is a staple of Touhou's gameplay, and the games would be that much harder withoutit. In addition, this move also adapts flying capabilities of pretty much every Touhou character, as well as Reimu's unique ability to float.
  • Down Special - Shot Changing: Reimu changes her shot type. This function much likes Min Min's ARMS Change; By default Reimu starts with the Hakurei Amulet, and can switch freely between shots on the fly.
    Changing shots is a recurring part of the Touhou series. Before starting a playthrough, the player can choose their character and which version they use, creating more ways to play. This usually takes the form of different shot types, though some games add a twist to it (Youkai partners, sub-shots instead of main shots, Animal Spirits, etc.). Due to the differences in gameplay, Reimu can swap on the fly in Smash rather than choosing from the beginning.
  • Final Smash - Fantasy Seal: Reimu creates a storm of multicolored orbs that home in on opponents, dealing damage all over the stage. Functions somewhat similarly to Diddy Kong's Final Smash.
    Fantasy Seal is Reimu's signature "Bomb," a limited-use attack that deals high damage all over the screen. Bombs have different requirements for obtainment throughout the series, but usually they must be collected. This is somewhat similar to grabbing a Smash Ball to pull off a Final Smash, meaning it doesn't have to be shoved into Reimu's normal moveset.
  • Alternate Final Smash - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's opponent is at 70% or higher, she will send out a burst of energy and talismans, dealing massive damage in a wide radius and instantly killing anyone over 100%. Notably, Mystic Oriental Love Consultation (End of Century) from Hisoutensoku will start playing during the Final Smash, and will continue to do so during the results screen if the match is ended with this attack.
    Fantasy Nature is the ultimate expression of Reimu's abilities, causing her to float away from reality itself and become invincible. This attack is so powerful that she refused to use it in spell card battles until Marisa put a name and time limit on it, despite Reimu being the biggest slacker in Gensokyo. This move has taken many forms through the series and is up to interpretation; In this case, Smash adapts the version from Hisoutensoku.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Thousand Daggers can also be used to get maximum graze from many attacks. It's costly, but the graze will sometimes recover all that MP and then some, not to mention the HP. The i-frames also ensure you don't take too much or any damage if the graze allows you to spam it.
Could you explain to me what "Big Cheese" is?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
A silly game exploit; a surprisingly effective technique
To elaborate, it's not exclusive to Touhou, or gaming in general. It's typically a slang word for cheap or something exploitable. To give another example, a few Street Fighter games have used a cheese icon for killing someone when they die to chip damage.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
To elaborate, it's not exclusive to Touhou, or gaming in general. It's typically a slang word for cheap or something exploitable. To give another example, a few Street Fighter games have used a cheese icon for killing someone and they die to chip damage.
It's also something on the border of humorous and cringe. Think how "cheesy" is used to describe movies. The term is used basically the same in games, just in the context of gameplay rather than acting. And just like cheesy movies, game cheese can be polarizing/

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Wow people there really don't know that much about Touhou and just make assumptions without searching for anything, they really underestimate Touhou's importance. Also the argument that characters that are too "Japan-only" can't be in is such a **** argument bc guess what? Smash is a Japanese game.

sessian

Smash Rookie
In the end, Rate Their Chances is still "how much I want this character". Always has been and always will be. Just look at how well peoples' given % chance correlates to their % wanted, except in standout cases. It's nothing to set store by.

If you think about it, putting a % chance on these things is silly anyway. Strictly speaking, the total % chances for all character options for a given fighter slot should add to 100%, meaning we should see low single digits at best for almost every character (especially with all the classic shoo-ins gone). A 10-point scale of likelihood would be more independent of other characters, and it's pretty much how people use the percentages anyway.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Wow people there really don't know that much about Touhou and just make assumptions without searching for anything, they really underestimate Touhou's importance. Also the argument that characters that are too "Japan-only" can't be in is such a **** argument bc guess what? Smash is a Japanese game.
I mean, I don't want to be that guy who called everyone an "uncultured swine" for not knowing the importance of Touhou. But, as you say, Touhou importance is far more bigger than people expected for an indie game where the popularity dominated an entire country and, even if the popularity is centralized at least the series isn't just a relic that is locked behind bars like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru which is the most common thing to reject games that is popular only in Japan whom only got popular or should I say "mentioned" worldwide because of Sakurai's comment about them and their appearance as a trophy, spirit, and assist trophy.

And speaking about popularity she's basically the equivalent of Terry Bogard but people won't admitted where those same people saying that "it's popular in South America" which is just a small half of an entire country and not as big as Japan even if the country is small and "it's popular in FGC" which kinda dumb as that could be said to Touhou where the whole internet know the series existed which is far more bigger than the FGC.

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I don't want to be that guy who called everyone an "uncultured swine" for not knowing the importance of Touhou. But, as you say, Touhou importance is far more bigger than people expected for an indie game where the popularity dominated an entire country and, even if the popularity is centralized at least the series isn't just a relic that is locked behind bars like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru which is the most common thing to reject games that is popular only in Japan whom only got popular or should I say "mentioned" worldwide because of Sakurai's comment about them and their appearance as a trophy, spirit, and assist trophy.

And speaking about popularity she's basically the equivalent of Terry Bogard but people won't admitted where those same people saying that "it's popular in South America" which is just a small half of an entire country and not as big as Japan even if the country is small and "it's popular in FGC" which kinda dumb as that could be said to Touhou where the whole internet know the series existed which is far more bigger than the FGC.
As someone from South America i have to say that i knew who Terry was since i was a little kid bc all the youtubers i watched talked about KOF and how fun it was and since i played a lot of Mortal Kombat growing up i decided to buy a KOF game for my PS2 and it was really fun, now i also have to say that i've known Touhou for pretty much all of my life (althought i didn't knew how it was called) since i know a lot of people that played it, so when i decided to play the series this year i was actually surprised when people said that Touhou was obscure since i thought it had Mega Man levels of popularity.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I think she's even more similar to Terry than you think. I've been trying to make a mathematical model to predict the content of FP2 using the DLCs we currently know. I try to grade each candidate for various metrics (popularity, legacy, moveset potential, sales, etc), weighting every metric so that FP1 characters score stronger or as strong as FP2. Strangely enough, Reimu always scores very well because she's very similar to Terry for most metrics and since Terry needs to score high enough to justify his inclusion, Reimu scores about as high. So in a sense, Terry is Reimu's best friend for dlc speculation.

Last edited:

sessian

Smash Rookie
If anything, the more interesting question to me is whether or not it matters that a lot of Touhou's popularity is centred on the non-video game aspects of it. I don't think it matters, but it's a more genuine point of contention than whether or not the series is "popular enough". I can't think of another Smash contender in a similar position.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I think she's even more similar to Terry than you think. I've been trying to make a mathematical model to predict the content of FP2 using the DLCs we currently now. I try to grade every candidate for various metrics (popularity, legacy, moveset potential, sales, etc), weighting every criterias so that FP1 characters score stronger or as strong as FP2. Strangely enough, Reimu always scores very well because she's very similar to Terry for most metrics and since Terry needs to score high enough to justify his inclusion, Reimu scores about as high. So in a sense, Terry is Reimu's best friend for dlc speculation.
I've been doing that too but more broader and simpler, essentially I compare FP1 to FP2 character and how they have oddly similar things going for them.

Banjo + Steve = Microsoft
Hero + Sephiroth = Square Enix
Byleth + Min Min (+ Piranha Plant)= Nintendo
Joker + [NAME REDACTED] = ???
Terry + [Reimu] = unexpected "Literally Who?"

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I like some people back then are now keep bringing up both Dragon Quest and SNK's cultural importance and the sizable presence of the western fanbase as a comparison whenever they discuss about supposed only Japan picks.

Rating Erdrick

Re-rating Erdrick

Rating SNK representative

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've been doing that too but more broader and simpler, essentially I compare FP1 to FP2 character and how they have oddly similar things going for them.

Banjo + Steve = Microsoft
Hero + Sephiroth = Square Enix
Byleth + Min Min (+ Piranha Plant)= Nintendo
Joker + [NAME REDACTED] = ???
Terry + [Reimu] = unexpected "Literally Who?"
My predictions are more or less similar in a sense:
Piranha Plant & Min Min: Left-field 1st party character
Joker + Steve: Third-party character from a game Sakurai enjoys (Persona 5 + Minecraft)
Hero + Sephiroth: Uber-popular Square-Enix swordfighter
Banjo + ???:
  • Highly-requested platforming animal character (Crash)
  • Ultra-popular Rareware character (Fulgore)
  • Character heavily requested since the near-start of the franchise (Geno)
Terry + ???:
  • Character from a game that shaped Sakurai's gaming career (Reimu. SNK games (mainly Fatal Fury) shaped what Smash would become today, and SHMUPs (while not necessarily Touhou), was still what brought Sakurai into game development.)
  • Character from a unique fighting game variant (Kazuya/Sol Badguy/Scorpion)
Byleth + ???:
  • Controversial first-party capping off the pass (Galar Pokemon)
  • Character from mega-popular recent entry of an existing franchise (Rex & Pyra/Impa)
So I can see why you draw the comparisons, and I respect your decision, but I personally am doing comparisons based on order of release.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
My predictions are more or less similar in a sense:
So I can see why you draw the comparisons, and I respect your decision, but I personally am doing comparisons based on order of release.
In this fanmade theory (far-fetched subjectivity altert!), the last 8 third-party fighters draw a parallel with the first 8 third-party.

screen 16 3rd-party reimu.png

Steve & Snake – bearded man, mine & explosives, infiltration or sandbox, incredible contrast. > Discarded: Altair, Dr. Wright, Ikari Warriors.
Sonic & Banjo-Kazooie – animal, toon & cereal mascot, platformer, Mario Kart-like. > Discarded: Rayman.
Mega Man & ? – kid, manga, mecha & non-human, shooter.
Discarded: Cuphead, Daemon X Machina, Geno, Psycho Soldier, Sans, Vault Boy, Warframe.
Other examples: Agumon, Doomguy, Mastef Chief, Metal Slug, Quote, Reimu Hakurei, Valve rep.

Pac Man & ? – toon, pixels & sprites, arcade & scoring, puzzle & labyrinth.
Discarded: Bomberman, Galaga, Katamari, Tetris.
Other examples: Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Space Invaders.

Ryu & Terry – original fighter before Smash Bros. > Discarded: Akira Yuki, Heihachi Mishima, River City, Samurai Shodown.
Cloud & Sephiroth – best rep from the best game from the best JRPG series.
Bayonetta & Joker – glasses, contemporary gothic, invocations, gunner. > Discarded: Alexandra Roivas, Resident Evil, Travis Touchdown, Wonder-Red, Yuri Kozukata.
Other examples: Dante, Demi-Fiend.

Simon & Hero – hero, hunter, warrior, (dark) fantasy.
Discarded: Astral Chain, Ganbare Goemon, Gilgamesh, Mana, Monster Hunter, Octopath Traveler, Shantae, Shovel Knight, The Last Story.
Other examples: Amaterasu, Cadence, Chosen Undead, Hollow Knight, Ryu Hayabusa, Warrior (Musou).

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one that finds the entire "japan only" criticism kind of like flimsy? I mean completely ignoring the cult status Touhou has in the west Touhou is also very popular in China and quite popular in Korea too. It's as if people think Japan is all of Asia, hell one of the most prominent touhou fanime projects is a Chinese production, Namely Hifuu Club Activity Record.

sessian

Smash Rookie
the cult status Touhou has in the west
That's really the most relevant bit. I think it's Takamaru that sometimes gets cited as an example of a character who was too Japan-centric to make the cut. But even by the most conservative of estimates, Touhou's western presence is light years ahead of that level of obscurity.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
O
That's really the most relevant bit. I think it's Takamaru that sometimes gets cited as an example of a character who was too Japan-centric to make the cut. But even by the most conservative of estimates, Touhou's western presence is light years ahead of that level of obscurity.
Oh yeah people in the Smash community do tend to downplay Touhou's popularity in the west even western made touhou memey/fan content cracks from tens of thousands to multiple millions of views, but what I mean is, even if you completely ignore that part of the fanbase there's still a huge presence in other countries not called Japan. China being the easy example given the fan content that has come out of there so the repeating of "She's only popular in Japan" is sort of hollow for me and yeah Comparing the Mysterious Murasame Castle to Touhou is sort of an absurd leap

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly you can argue both Terry and Banjo have strong regional popularity: Strong in one area and weaker in others. It certainly helps that they have a legacy behind them and Reimu certainly fits that bill.

Smash is pretty much an International game and given how Nintendo is Japanese, it would make sense to have someone that is Japan appealing all the while exposing more people to Touhou as well as be a small history lesson there.

Hell Touhou has a cult status in the West that is up for consideration at least. And of course, there's also China that would be a good, easy way to break into the Chinese market a bit.

It still seems silly to see someone claim "Reimu is too Japanese heavy" to be in Smash yet drool over wanting Scorpion/Subzero and Doom Guy in Smash, who to my knowledge don't have that strong of a Japanese fanbase and are basically the "Western" variants here for this argument.

And if this rule is really in place, we'd lose a few fighters already and we'd be limited to potential Newcomer possibilities which is something that shouldn't be a thing.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that finds the entire "japan only" criticism kind of like flimsy? I mean completely ignoring the cult status Touhou has in the west Touhou is also very popular in China and quite popular in Korea too. It's as if people think Japan is all of Asia, hell one of the most prominent touhou fanime projects is a Chinese production, Namely Hifuu Club Activity Record.
I think it's a fair critique, as ultimately the more popular a character is the better for their inclusion, but as others have noted, there's always going to be some characters aimed primarily at the JP/Asian audience. IMO, a better line of argument than "Touhou isn't popular enough worldwide to get in" is "Is Touhou popular enough in Japan to get in?"

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
This might be a weird question, but after Reimu and Marisa, what other Touhou reps do you want to see in Smash? I'm thinking Cirno would be pretty awesome, and now I'm genuinely curious to see how Sakuya would play in Smash Bros. I imagine she'd at least use her knives.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This might be a weird question, but after Reimu and Marisa, what other Touhou reps do you want to see in Smash? I'm thinking Cirno would be pretty awesome, and now I'm genuinely curious to see how Sakuya would play in Smash Bros. I imagine she'd at least use her knives.
Honestly, Koishi looks like a character with some powerful moveset potential. I mean, being a character whose existence is effectively comparable to a hallucination surely can give you some mighty fun stuff to work with.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Reimu, Marisa, Youmu, and Sanae are the only Touhou characters that I want playable for now.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Sakuya would be a good choice, she was fairly popular for a while and she'd definitely have a moveset different from Reimu and Marisa. Personally I'd pick Patchouli, her using different elemental magic for attacks could be pretty fun. On a little less biased choices, I think Youmu and Reisen would be good fighters.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Sakuya would be a good choice, she was fairly popular for a while and she'd definitely have a moveset different from Reimu and Marisa. Personally I'd pick Patchouli, her using different elemental magic for attacks could be pretty fun. On a little less biased choices, I think Youmu and Reisen would be good fighters.
Don't forget she does have that cool spellbook, it would be cool to see how it gets implimented in Smash Ultimate. :)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Sakurai tweeted a screenshot with two clocks.

We might actually get Sakuya given that Shovel Knight is an assist trophy, and Sakurai hinted that Steve (Minecraft) was coming once, and he eventually arrived.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that i probably won't like if Reimu is in is the Spirit reprensation, Spirits was one of the most fun things in any smash game and now i have all of them, the thing is that Touhou has so much characters that i would love to have a lot of them but sadly we'll probably get like 12 at max.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Komachi would bring an end to the constant distance demon one-upping by manipulating distance itself.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakuya would be a notable want from me as well, but that is probably just because I really like Luna Nights. No clue how full on time stopping could be implemented without a ton of frustration from opponents, but I would love to see them try.

Top Bottom