• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Ya Gimps! Pit General Disc.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
yeah.if you glide from the ground you can glide again in the air.basically like other characters with their double jump. but also its not super helpful but if u want to be fancy, pit has a moonwalk like the spacies where u have to walk in one direction and moonwalk the other way and u get a boost on your back jump using the momentum.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
So uh, I'm sure this a known thing, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it ever so I'll put it here just in case.
Very similar to how Pit's up-b was in SSBB, if you use Wings of Icarus (side-b) while on the ground you can use it again in the air after you have finished, which is very handy for edgeguarding.
I'm assuming this is an obvious thing, but I have never seen anyone use it before...
What applications do y'all have for this? I'm mostly using it for edgehogging atm.
edgeguarding, hehe, I tend to use the ground glide for pursuit... not so much "and stay off" as it is "I'm not done attacking you"

having a glide still available helps if I flub it. :smash:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Canada's largest ever tournament went down last weekend (118 entrants) and I managed to get 3rd going all Pit. Had to try Wolf / Fox against M2k in Winner's Semis though. Other matches can be found in the sidebar. Just looking for your thoughts on what I could have possibly done better, thanks yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkbmLDvs7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jigxr24O8ro

M2k and I played alot on stream and before the event, he said he needed practice for Armada. We had a ton of close games in Pit v Marth (he's convinced its bad for Marth and tbh so do I), but when he went Fox I got eviscerated. Do you guys think Pit does well vs. Marth?

Last edited:

BlinkIV

Avenger
Pit does do well against Marth. Pit can do well against Fox, I played a good amount of friendlies with M2K at Forte when he came down here. Also, I want to know what Pit mains are going to be at APEX? I'll be there, and would like to play friendlies, well mainly Pit dittos with ya peeps. I'm also down for MM's.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I only watched the first 2 matches of your linked set

Fsmash edgegarding has been weird for me (the 2 hits don't combo sometmes, just trying to hit with the 2nd hit is awkward) and I find ftilt much easier. Dtilt -> fair if they go lower. If they go really high you can usually just back air them on their way down depending on the character.

I think the ideal low damage (<50%ish) throw combo is "down throw -> SHFFL fair -> grab -> repeat". "Down throw -> SHFFL fair -> dash attack" and "down throw -> Up smash" both have worse/harder/nonexistent follow ups against good DI. Once the SHFFL fair will whiff I do SHFFL up air instead and always get a good follow afterwards. Fastfallers are a different scenario because SHFFL fair -> grab doesn't link.

I think you should try more standing arrows in neutral at least until the character shows that they have sufficient counterstrategies. You come up with a 'threat range' based on their character where you don't think arrows will be safe, and once they enter it you stop pestering them with it. The upside from this is they still have to be wary of arrows and this really opens up the dashdance game and short hop aerial game. You can have arrows influence their close-mid game without having to fire one.

Leaving for APEX tomorrow!

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Hylian says no nerfs, so I'm hoping he's right. The only thing I can honestly see getting nerfed is his dtilt.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That would be missing the point. Arrows are probably going to get further scrutiny, if I had to guess on any one specific thing

otter

Smash Ace
That would be missing the point. Arrows are probably going to get further scrutiny, if I had to guess on any one specific thing
They do 2 percent damage and halt mobility. That would pretty much confirm they'll nerf whatever the elite players try out.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Re: Apex results

We've waited a long, long time for this. Pit is finally on top!

I'm anticipating nerfs, but I hope he's still a top competitor afterwards.

cmart

Smash Lord
This isn't the first time Armada's Pit has won a tournament guys. He's already been through several major releases, and received fewer and fewer tweaks with each release. I wouldn't expect that pattern to change.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
^

I don't expect Pit to actually get changed, but Arrows are still probably the #1 thing that would be up for tweaking.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Re: Apex results

We've waited a long, long time for this. Pit is finally on top!

I'm anticipating nerfs, but I hope he's still a top competitor afterwards.
Winning is no reason for changes. That's just silly.

Pit is fine as is and should see no changes.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I started maining pit in Brawl and PM since I always wanted to pick him up.
Hope people don't think I only use him in PM just because he won the tournament. I just thought the character was really fun. >.<

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm really surprised no one came here and complained about Armada's Pit and "Nerf Pit blah blah blah"
I hope they don't nerf/"tweak" him. It's way too early in the meta to do anything about anyone. Especially when Pit's had so little done to him for a while. And Pit is by no means overpowered. I think it was just the match-up.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm not saying Armada is bad or anything. I know he's an amazing Smasher. But the way Armada played Pit against M2K just made Pit look completely free. Plus some of those edge guards were a little extreme. Fair-ing all the way to the blast zone and making it back was pretty surprising. My one friend actually got angry watching that. But then again he gets angry at just about everything. Pit has so many mobility options that it's insane.
I was just surprised because last I checked Pit was considered the worst in PM. But that was many-a demo ago. I just wasn't ready yet.
Anyway sorry for sounding super ignorant. I'm not trying to start any fights. I just assumed dumb people would come and complain. Because it's the internet! And the Project M boards can sometimes be a little... silly. People asking for certain tweaks that don't even make sense and such.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you DI away/down away, you can get away from a lot of Pit combos. The downside to this though is being much further offstage, and being vulnerable to arrows

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I think people discount the fact that the set was extremely close overall. There was by no means a sweep in Grand Finals. Armada was playing better and took the set.

otter

Smash Ace
I'm really surprised no one came here and complained about Armada's Pit and "Nerf Pit blah blah blah"
I hope they don't nerf/"tweak" him. It's way too early in the meta to do anything about anyone. Especially when Pit's had so little done to him for a while. And Pit is by no means overpowered. I think it was just the match-up.
That's funny because a few pages ago the general tone of the thread was that arrows are mediocre and spacies are very hard to fight as pit.

Armada is simply broken.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Eh, Armada is really good and all. Congrats to him winning APEX while barely utilizing most of Pits tools.
I don't think I've ever seen an "Eh, [filler] and all" statement without the word "but" in it o_0

I loved Armada's play if only because I didn't know Pit was capable of doing all that. Definitely picking him up as a main, especially if you say that's only a little of what he can do :D

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yep, I called it right. I knew people would bandwagon Pit if Armada won APEX. I hate being right sometimes. =x

Annnd...-insert me dipping out-

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yep, I called it right. I knew people would bandwagon Pit if Armada won APEX. I hate being right sometimes. =x

Annnd...-insert me dipping out-
lol, I've used Pit before, like I'm sure a lot of people have. I only dropped him because I found I wanted to focus on Lucas and Mario instead. Plus I beat all 3 KI games and I like them all, so genuinely liked Pit as a character as well. What's wrong with a tournament reviving interest in using a character?

BlinkIV

Avenger
It was a joke. Relax, the both of ya. I didn't say anything was wrong with a tournament reviving interest. I said that because I was speaking with Mizuki (Vixen) at APEX, and we discussed that this would happen. So it's cool, Pits real fun.

otter

Smash Ace
It is fun to play an underused character so I feel people's pain but I love pit too much to let go. Funny thing is I've been playing yoshi for a Few weeks too, the two stars of apex! I'm not that attached to yoshi though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
It was a joke. Relax, the both of ya. I didn't say anything was wrong with a tournament reviving interest. I said that because I was speaking with Mizuki (Vixen) at APEX, and we discussed that this would happen. So it's cool, Pits real fun.
Oh well, I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. I hope my reply wasn't too bad.

And yes, Pit is INDEED fun :D

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Eh, Armada is really good and all. Congrats to him winning APEX while barely utilizing most of Pits tools.
You sound salty as ****. Pit won! You should be celebrating man. Perhaps it doesn't sit well with you and your preconceived standards of what a Pit main "should" be doing, but you have to overlook that. He doesn't have to use all the tools, he just has to play efficiently. Which standout tools were even neglected anyways? Armada has incredible fundamentals (spacing, conversions, tech-chasing) so if anything you should be excited that he was able to do that well despite "not using most of Pit's tools". This means the ceiling for the character's potential has yet be seen, which is fantastic news.

Or maybe I misinterpreted your post and it wasn't condescending at all. In the event that happens my bad haha

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Not a bad thing if more people play Pit, so they might see he isn't OP after all... I also think Mew2King DId the Fairs up too often which lead to more arrows+ more fairs. When he recovered low and covered the first arrow with a shine, doublejumped then and upbed he actually survived more often. But I think it is some kind of muscle memory to DI up when hit offstage

Top Bottom