• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Planking (i.e. Ledgestalling) be Banned?

Should Planking be Banned?

• Total voters

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I still want someone to convince me that the ledge grab rule isn't good. So far, all I hear is "it's not broken, doesn't need to be banned." The rule doesn't ban it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I still want someone to convince me that the ledge grab rule isn't good. So far, all I hear is "it's not broken, doesn't need to be banned." The rule doesn't ban it.
One could argue there is no need for a restriction on something that isn't broken. Which would of course would lead to an argument that I dont have the patience or health to argue anymore.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
One could argue there is no need for a restriction on something that isn't broken. Which would of course would lead to an argument that I dont have the patience or health to argue anymore.
I've already argued that point, and I don't feel like doing it anymore, either (hint: it's nearly the same answer I gave to "it's not broken, don't ban it").

Really nothing else to say about this topic, haha.

Planking is by definition of stalling, an act of deliberatly avoiding combat. thus if its not banned then ok call it stalling and they throw the match round, cant remember. either way lucario can just D-Air their face.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
It's possible to hit the other person. It's not stalling unless it's physically impossible to hit the person stalling, like with IDC, or Jiggs' Rising Pound Stall.

XienZo

Smash Lord
It's possible to hit the other person. It's not stalling unless it's physically impossible to hit the person stalling, like with IDC, or Jiggs' Rising Pound Stall.
Its not PHYSICALLY impossible though, and neither is gliding under the stage. Even running in loops in banned stages won't make you physically impossible to hit, but they're all banned.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
I say don't ban it, and the only reason is because there's nearly nothing hard to do that you can do in this game anyway. It took a lot of fun out of smash. It could at least make there one more thing to think about while playing this game. I'm nearly braindead when I play. I need to have some type of challenge.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Are you autistic?
Yes he is. He probably doesn't know the first thing about communism, just one-sided American text-book anti-(insert a non-american country here) propaganda. Sure its not that good, but you need to at least have your own reason for it other than "well, everyone else is thinks that."

Also, there should be either a ledge grab limit or a ban on planking...not for it being cheap or unfair, but to stop it from boring the hell out of everyone. :dizzy:

RP`

Smash Apprentice
Yes he is. He probably doesn't know the first thing about communism, just one-sided American text-book anti-(insert a non-american country here) propaganda. Sure its not that good, but you need to at least have your own reason for it other than "well, everyone else is thinks that."

Also, there should be either a ledge grab limit or a ban on planking...not for it being cheap or unfair, but to stop it from boring the hell out of everyone. :dizzy:
On the contrary I am going to school for engineering. :)

And in case you are two slow, the picture is meant to be a play on words/pun with a little tongue-in-cheek humor thrown in... not an actual accusation.

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I don't really mind. He is obviously poking fun at Americans being "ignorant"which is being stereotypical... which is also ignorant. Ironic, eh?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
SO,

I've encountered planking once.
Am I qualified to make a respectable opinion on whether or not it should be banned?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
No, I've literally faced one Yoshi on Luigi's Mansion, online, one time.

I'm just wondering, I kinda wanna hear what everyone's experiences are in comparison to how they voted.

i actually heard something about an imposed limit in japan its something around 50-60 times and any more than that you throw the ENTIRE set, again my intel isnt always right though ive heard many statements about japan has a limit on it idk SWF proved its stupidity to me this morning, this game has a chance for a national circuit but no a mod has to come along and shoot that down for SSBB

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Japan's rule is pretty bad. I don't count my overall ledges and I am not like a planker but it'd be so hard to implement
Read the thread. Its incredibly easy to implement. All you have to do is check your post game stats. Game keeps track for you. Takes all of 3 seconds to find out. Plus it would only take effect in matches that time out, so you are already looking at only 1/20 or so matches, if not fewer.

Also, a normal player will never approach a limit like 40 or 50 in an 8 minute match.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Read the thread. Its incredibly easy to implement. All you have to do is check your post game stats. Game keeps track for you. Takes all of 3 seconds to find out. Plus it would only take effect in matches that time out, so you are already looking at only 1/20 or so matches, if not fewer.

Also, a normal player will never approach a limit like 40 or 50 in an 8 minute match.
Unless its a ledge based gameplay. I've had a few games where both of us are attacking offstage so we get like 40 or so with neither of us planking.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Unless its a ledge based gameplay. I've had a few games where both of us are attacking offstage so we get like 40 or so with neither of us planking.
Which is a byproduct of this rule. Why would you do something that HURTS you if you know this rule exists? More over, edge based gameplay is FINE so long as you don't run out the timer. If it runs out, its your own fault for not adapting to the existence to this rule and being to liberal with your edge grabs to an excessive extent.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Which is a byproduct of this rule. Why would you do something that HURTS you if you know this rule exists? More over, edge based gameplay is FINE so long as you don't run out the timer. If it runs out, its your own fault for not adapting to the existence to this rule and being to liberal with your edge grabs to an excessive extent.
Thanks for showing how doubley wrong I am lol. No but seriously, it shouldn't interfere with just a higher risk level of gameplay. I think it should only go against those who are actively trying to make it so the opponent cannot attack them, like Metaknight or G&W, I feel that solely using jumps off-stage shouldn't be banned either and its the opponents fault if they don't approach you personally. You are just putting yourself in a slightly higher position but its not like you can stop it all that effectively.

I don't like say the judge decided so I personally think it should be based off consecutive grabs without hitting the opponent. Just my idea imo. Because then the opponent can back up so whoever it is has to get off the stage.

Brennivin

Smash Rookie
i like the ledge grab count. option 2. as a meta main, i know how easy and cheap it is to plank. thats why i dont do it. but other characters can do it also like marth. i didnt vote option one because the judges could be biased.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Marth's faster re-grab to the edge.
Theres a thread about it somewhere.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I don't like say the judge decided so I personally think it should be based off consecutive grabs without hitting the opponent. Just my idea imo. Because then the opponent can back up so whoever it is has to get off the stage.
Going by consecutive grabs targets way more people than plankers.

Example: I'm a Diddy on the ledge and there's an Marth right above me, waiting to kill me. I'm trying to get an opening because I know if I just jump on the stage, I'll meet a fair/tippered Fsmash. So I keep jumping off and regrabbing the ledge for invincibility, waiting for him to either move away or come towards me so I can get back on the stage safely. If I regrabbed the ledge 6 times, according to consecutive grabs, I'd be planking.

The ledge-grab rule is easily the best rule, but that's only if planking gets to become a problem (which I don't believe it is). Because there's ways to get around it, and possibly more that don't have a disadvantageous outcome if people experiment with it, I don't feel like banning or putting restrictions on planking is in order.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I know but its very hard in many ways to ban planking. Like total grabs disrupts a ledge game. Now, is that fair if characters are alternating attacking each other offstage and are grabbing the ledge and pushing away for the invincibility? So now I really think it has to be a complex rule or judge's discretion.

Top Bottom