• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should nintendo continue with the ssb on ds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I wouldn't want them to. I can't imagine how playing smash on the DS would be the same. It just wouldn't feel the same I think and I'm sure many others think so as well.

edit: There will be some who will differ in thought.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
No, I don't like the idea of playing Smash through the DS. And for it to be competitive, we'll need wireless linking... Which might get interference from other DS's and the such.

I guess it's tolerable as a casual experience.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
it would be weird playing it on ds

if you really think about it.

and if it WAS brought out on ds, based on what "pictures"or"videos" you've seen

do you think it would match up to the world ends with you?

plus no c-stick, the animation would probably be horrible, online? don't get me started
its a fun idea to bring something out on ds similar to brawl, but brawl itself,ehhh no..

I'd personally be happy if they didn't make another SSB. Period..
i would like to just have one more with an insanley BIG roster to end the series
and you can be able to install add-ons

"The Brawl To End Them All"

day-day

Smash Ace
The models would probably look close to or worse than the n64 version. The no c-stick thing is a pick problem too, I wouldn't want to hit the touch screen in a direction just to do a smash attack..
Edit: It might work though never know..

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
You mean they've already started? Awesome!

I wouldn't playing Smash on DS. Great franchise, I don't see why not.

bleyva

Smash Ace
no, the smash franchise is just a little too epic to be relegated to the ds.

galekill

Banned via Administration
Hell yeah, I'd play it. It'd be totally different, and probably use sprites instead of models, but if done well, it'd be very fun.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Really you guys, have you even tried Jump Ultimate Stars? It's on DS and it works great. So i don't see how a Super Smash Bros game on DS would be terrible.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Really you guys, have you even tried Jump Ultimate Stars? It's on DS and it works great. So i don't see how a Super Smash Bros game on DS would be terrible.

^This

JUS definitely wasn't nearly as good as smash, but it held it's own with a small competitive fan base. Smash on the DS would most likely be a lot like SSB64. And that didn't have a C-Stick either, didn't it? If it didn't even have one, I don't see why this one not having one will be a huge problem.

The main problem is going to be the competitive scene and whether it stays entirely online or whether an offline scene can pick up. The fact that each person has to have their own DS and Cartridge could be a problem, when compared to the other smash games in which you only needed a controller. Having the console was definitely important to getting better, but not entirely necessary.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure how I would feel about this. It'd be pretty fun, but you'd most likely be stuck playing against the computer instead of friends.

Someone said sprites instead of the 3-D models. For the DS, I think that'd be pretty sweet to play Smash Bros. with. Besides, wouldn't that allow more space to add other things. I'm not much into that kind of thing, but it does seem like common sense.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
What's with the DS hate? Firstly, you don't need a c-stick. I play just fine without it. Secondly....it'll practically be the same, except with only a D-pad instead of stick. Nintendo wouldn't use the touch screen for the DS except for possibly a c-stick alt....like what they did with shake smash. They wouldn't make the controls completely touch-based. Just look at Kirby Super Star Ultra, Pokemon Platinum, or New Super Mario Bros.

Anyways, storage wouldn't be an issue. Again, look at New Super Mario Bros. Lot's of stages, items, features, enemies, and models. That didn't bog it down. If they do go down the strictly 2-D route, Kirby would be a good example(which, btw, the original SS is where Smash's gameplay came from). Look at all of the stuff they got in there.

Further more, the DS is more powerful than the SNES....which handled fighting games just fine. A Smash would work out perfectly on the DS, and quite honestly I've been waiting for one for a while.

AeryEcho

Smash Cadet
I see nothing wrong with Smash being sold on the DS. I can't say I'd buy it, though...

...Reason being that I don't know how well Wi-Fi competitive smash would work on the DS. As others brought up, there is the issue of a smaller roster, less detail, etc. They will likely need to cut corners, and I don't know if the touch screen could successfully bring much else new to the series. It would limit the competitive scene, which would lead me to play it locally with friends.
And at that point, we may as well play a full console version.

I guess that means that unless they do something unique on the DS version, I personally would be neutral to its release.
I can't say that I understand why people would dislike a new game's release, though...poor DS

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What's with the DS hate? Firstly, you don't need a c-stick. I play just fine without it. Secondly....it'll practically be the same, except with only a D-pad instead of stick. Nintendo wouldn't use the touch screen for the DS except for possibly a c-stick alt....like what they did with shake smash. They wouldn't make the controls completely touch-based. Just look at Kirby Super Star Ultra, Pokemon Platinum, or New Super Mario Bros.
See, these are exactly why the game wouldn't be competitive.

1) You need a c-stick. In SSB64, the Smash community wasn't as advanced as it is now, and we found out that the addition of the c-stick is a great spacing helper. You could do it without the c-stick, but spacing wouldn't be the same, and the community has gotten used to one.

2) You can't pull of certain maneuvers with the d-pad. It only has 8 directions: 4 diagonal and 4 cardinal ones. Smash is a game that deals a los with precision and movement control, how that would apply to a D-pad would be below all types of expectations.

3) You're talking about Nintendo, the ones who love "revolutionizing" and "catering to the casual community". Talking so sure about the problem isn't really going to make the game less problematic than the trend we've seen lately in games suggests.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
See, these are exactly why the game wouldn't be competitive.

1) You need a c-stick. In SSB64, the Smash community wasn't as advanced as it is now, and we found out that the addition of the c-stick is a great spacing helper. You could do it without the c-stick, but spacing wouldn't be the same, and the community has gotten used to one.

2) You can't pull of certain maneuvers with the d-pad. It only has 8 directions: 4 diagonal and 4 cardinal ones. Smash is a game that deals a los with precision and movement control, how that would apply to a D-pad would be below all types of expectations.

3) You're talking about Nintendo, the ones who love "revolutionizing" and "catering to the casual community". Talking so sure about the problem isn't really going to make the game less problematic than the trend we've seen lately in games suggests.
1: lol no you don't

2: lol, once again, no. Think about how Brawl is played with Wiimote and SSB64 is played with Keyboard (Emulator).

3: Yes, true. So Nintendo wouldn't care about all the competive controlling.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I would get a Smash DS game if the controls were good. Even if it didn't have a c-stick, I would play it if you don't have to use the touch screen that much.

jaaboy

Smash Cadet
frame rate drop, which has always been something that the series excelled in, would probably be a problem. I would rather them put their energy into creating a wholy different but as entertaining fighting game on the DS, rather than water down the experience.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have a question= If they make a Smash game on the DS, does it have to be competitive?

Or can it just be what it's supposed to be- a game for Nintendo fans?

And I see no reason why it wouldn't work on DS anyway. The DS can run 3D games smoothly, and Wi-Fi and wireless are usually lag free most of the time. The only problem I see is Nintendo putting in lots of touch screen controls during the fights, and taking out a lot of characters, and replacing say 10 existing characters with one new one.

twiblets

Smash Cadet
I played ssb64 for years on emu, w/ keyboard. You honestly don't need c / analogue sticks to have tight control. Not saying i could see how controls on the ds would work, but I dont think lack of sticks is necessarily an issue.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
1: lol no you don't
Uhh, yes you do. Whatever gave you the impression that top level play doesn't need a C-stick, or a C-stick substitute? In Melee, it was the best way to space. In Brawl, it still is AND it's crucial to some ATs. Spacing is important in high level play. How would you say that you don't? Plus the strain on the thumb from pressing the D-pad for movement and practically never letting go isn't worth it.

2: lol, once again, no. Think about how Brawl is played with Wiimote and SSB64 is played with Keyboard (Emulator).
You can go on 0*, 45*, 90*, 135*, 180*, 225*, 270*, and 315* angles. Try and hold a direction of 80* or 70*, I bet you'll never be able to... And that's exactly what you need if you want to optimize your zoning abilities: be able to move in ANY direction and limit your opponent's movements. SSB-DS wouldn't have the depth the console versions provide.

Plus, on they keyboard you have as many buttons as desired for any inputs. In DS, you have L, R, A, B, Y, and X... Translate Melee and Brawl buttons into a handheld which lack button inputs. If you want to make it like Smash64, run it with sprites rather than models or polygons, and have a lower frame rate (all stated before this post), be my guest... But it will not be competitive.

Bertroll

Smash Cadet
It would be fun for ****s n giggles but nothing more. Waste of time for the development company imo when they could be making greater and better things.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
Hmm, I would think it would be possible if they used the N64 playing style...you could even taunt with the L button :laugh:

There's only so much memory the DS holds, I don't even think it's possible unless it's a knockoff of the N64 game

Now, if it was on the DSi and it was upgradeable, I would think it'd be alot more likely.

maybeway36

Smash Rookie
Maybe it could be just 2D vector graphics instead of 3D graphics. I imagine it would play a lot like Kirby, with double-tap=run and so on.

Prince17

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Phaz#755
NNID
Legendlar
3DS FC
3840-7049-1098
well it would be nice to have for collection and stuff but..ehh brawl would still be better. id say smash is more of a console game

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Alright guys, here is the thing:

SMASH IS NOT MEANT TO BE PLAYED AS A COMPETITIVE GAME.

Yes, the game is deep, and yes, you can play it competitively. Doesn't mean it's supposed to be played like that.

Also, Smash would never be possible on the DS if it used just the touch screen. The most I see it being used for is a c-stick alt, with four buttons for each direction.

Anyways, do you really think Nintendo gives a crap about the competitive scene? No. They're too busy making money off classic game series....some of which died years ago. That is the sad truth. The thing with games like Brawl is that they're money makers. Nintendo fills them to the brim with classic AND new stuff, which gets the attention of the fans who'll learn about the other franchises. This is why we have Fire Emblem over here now, because Nintendo learned they could make money off it.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a downer, but it's money first, fans second. We are lucky we haven't got another Mario Party, which would make Ninty big bucks, rather than Metroid: Other M, which isn't exactly a money maker compared to Mario, Pokemon, and even Kirby.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It'd work surprisingly well, but I'd rather have something on a bigger screen to play the Smash games. It's kind of like Phantom Hourglass. I wasn't fond of the idea, but it worked and it was interesting for the most part. But still, I'd rather have it on the regular home console. The controls would work, too. And I have no idea why people feel the need to use the C-stick so much. It doesn't make your attack quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom