• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
he shouldnt be banned hes just like every other char but a little better
A better reason why he shouldn't be banned is that I didn't three stock a good Meta Knight main, until I do that, there shall be no banned on him, lol.

But seriously, if you play against Meta Knight good enough, you can able to see how to beat him with your chracter, like Mario, I mean Mario has better tilt combo's to rack up damage on Meat Knight with a few Up-Tilt to Up-Smash would be good, just the fact that your have to not let yourself open buy just chraging to him, Fire Ball approche him. If he use his Basic-B, then shield it, or attack from above. This got me thinking, I need to see more Toon Link's face Meta Knight's.

raydude

Smash Apprentice
A better reason why he shouldn't be banned is that I didn't three stock a good Meta Knight main, until I do that, there shall be no banned on him, lol.

But seriously, if you play against Meta Knight good enough, you can able to see how to beat him with your chracter, like Mario, I mean Mario has better tilt combo's to rack up damage on Meat Knight with a few Up-Tilt to Up-Smash would be good, just the fact that your have to not let yourself open buy just chraging to him, Fire Ball approche him. If he use his Basic-B, then shield it, or attack from above. This got me thinking, I need to see more Toon Link's face Meta Knight's.

yep i agree or my falco vs meta knights

XienZo

Smash Lord
Oh, oops, I forgot tier list=/=rankings.

Regardless, we all know they're top tier anyway...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
What's your point anyway?

Don't you like seeing this diversity among winning characters better than seeing "Meta Knight" 7 or 8 times in the top 10?

XienZo

Smash Lord
Well, I just made a comment saying:

Well, its only high tier characters.

But its a VARIETY of high tiers.

My point is up for interpretation

Edit:
No, we dont, quit saying **** that isn't true. Believe or not, their is a reason they aren't in the top, figure it out.

EDIT-You said they were top, not high.
Fine, fine ruin my fun... point is, results weren't too surprising.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I lost interest in what your point is. =/

Here is my point. That list shows that removing Meta Knight makes Brawl more balanced in high levels of play.

And if I remember correctly, Brawl is in need of being balanced.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I lost interest in what your point is. =/

Here is my point. That list shows that removing Meta Knight makes Brawl more balanced in high levels of play.

And if I remember correctly, Brawl is in need of being balanced.
Well, we can't take one tournament as proof, but yeah, its not a single character dominating anymore.

On the other hand, what if this changes if MK is banned?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Mk-devoid Brawl hasn't had time for overused characters to settle into place. Assuming he'll be banned, (and I do, honestly,) the best characters will take the majority of the top spots in a similar fashion, and regardless of by how large a margin it will be, we'll still have an uber tier.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Mk-devoid Brawl hasn't had time for overused characters to settle into place. Assuming he'll be banned, (and I do, honestly,) the best characters will take the majority of the top spots in a similar fashion, and regardless of by how large a margin it will be, we'll still have an uber tier.
It'll still be the top tiers and the very best of the high tiers dominating tournaments, but they'll be dominating tournaments together. That's alright with me. Better than just 1 character dominating.

Look at Melee. There was Fox, Marth, C. Falcon, Falco, Sheik, and Peach. The rest of the characters were seldom seen in high levels of play and if they were seen, would tend to get crushed. And no one complained about this. Brawl has a real chance to be just like that, except with even more characters dominating in unison.

XienZo

Smash Lord
It'll still be the top tiers and the best of the high tiers dominating tournaments, but they'll be dominating tournaments together. That's alright with me. Better than just 1 character dominating.

Look at Melee. There was Fox, Marth, C. Falcon, Falco, Sheik, and Peach. The rest of the characters were seldom seen in high levels of play and if they were seen, would tend to get crushed. And no one complained about this. Brawl has a chance to be just like that, except with even more characters dominating in unison.
What he says it that if MK is banned, when the non-MK metagame settles down, we have no proof a character wouldn't eventually become super dominant again.

I personally believe no one has good enough matchups for that to happen. For me, Marth is too, "Jack of all trades, King of none" to dominate (on the scale of MK) .

M15t3R E

Smash Master
What he says it that if MK is banned, when the non-MK metagame settles down, we have no proof a character wouldn't eventually become super dominant again.

I personally believe no one has good enough matchups for that to happen. For me, Marth is too, "Jack of all trades, King of none" to dominate.
How about this for your proof: With MK gone, every single character you can use in a tournament will have a true counter. This prohibits domination by one character.

XienZo

Smash Lord
How about this for your proof: With MK gone, every single character you can use in a tournament will have a true counter. This prohibits domination by one character.
I personally believe no one has good enough matchups for that to happen. For me, Marth is too, "Jack of all trades, King of none" to dominate (on the scale of MK) .
Yeah, thats what I believe, but some people might argue that having a true counter would not prohibit domination.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Don't you think MK would be FAR less dominant if there was just one character that can consistently make a MK main break a sweat? Of course. This is common sense.

Case in point- removing MK from high levels of play can only serve to balance out the competitive scenes.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I personally think it's massively overplayed how much worse one is than like two or three, and Snake is significantly downplayed in these talks, but whatever.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Don't you think MK would be FAR less dominant if there was just one character that can consistently make a MK main break a sweat? Of course. This is common sense.

Case in point- removing MK from high levels of play can only serve to balance out the competitive scenes.
But then, what if the metagame revolved around those 2 only? Or if the counter had terrible matchups against the rest of the high tier?

Also, what I just said isn't what I believe, but its what the anti-ban side would say.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
But then, what if the metagame revolved around those 2 only? Or if the counter had terrible matchups against the rest of the high tier?

Also, what I just said isn't what I believe, but its what the anti-ban side would say.
You're assuming that said counter doesn't also have a counter of his own. He would, and therefore the metagame would end up revolving around in an almost endless cycle, stopping to center around 10 or so different characters.

As it stands, MK is the weakest link that prevents this cycle from occurring.

EDIT: The second question you asked doesn't apply, so I don't need to answer it. It won't happen in Brawl. Snake has a counter- ROB. ROB has a counter- GW. GW has a counter- Snake. DDD has a counter- Marth. Marth has a couple bad match-ups in the top tier. Etc...

XienZo

Smash Lord
But the cycle could be as small as 3 characters. Also, some character's (only) counter aren't surefire, and are around 60:40, and we don't know if thats enough.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
But the cycle could be as small as 3 characters. Also, some character's (only) counter aren't surefire, and are around 60:40, and we don't know if thats enough.
But it certainly sounds promising to me. We need to see the results of more large-scale MK-banned tournaments or this will probably never be resolved.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
I just went into training mode and did Snake's uair against a 180% MK. Was the Snake that game using ONLY uair the entire game to diminish it like that? Best. Snake. Ever.

XienZo

Smash Lord
well, my point with the terrible matchups is that Yoshi, having a neutral matchup on MK (and desperate people were taking even neutrals as counters), was still ignored, mainly because he also sucks against other top-tiers, and his learning curve is pretty high so you can't really second him.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
well, my point with the terrible matchups is that Yoshi, having a neutral matchup on MK (and desperate people were taking even neutrals as counters), was still ignored, mainly because he also sucks against other top-tiers, and his learning curve is pretty high so you can't really second him.
Anyone that thinks Yoshi goes even with MK has no idea what they're talking about. Same thing applies to Olimar, which I've been seeing recently for some reason.

And the only way I could see the U-air not killing MK at 180%, other than staling, is if the MK DI'ed it perfectly and the Snake missed the sweetspot for it.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Anyone that thinks Yoshi goes even with MK has no idea what they're talking about. Same thing applies to Olimar, which I've been seeing recently for some reason.

And the only way I could see the U-air not killing MK at 180%, other than staling, is if the MK DI'ed it perfectly and the Snake missed the sweetspot for it.
Well, MK boards said Yoshi goes even so I assumed they were right...

with 55:45 still being even of course. Not like 1 out of 20 matches really matters.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Banning a character is stupid, just find ways around beating that character. I personally have no trouble playing, and beating good MKs and i main snake. Although he is high tier its still not just a walk in the park, i admit he is a challenging opponent but whats the fun of a game that is not challenging once and a while?

salaboB

Smash Champion
Banning a character is stupid, just find ways around beating that character. I personally have no trouble playing, and beating good MKs and i main snake. Although he is high tier its still not just a walk in the park, i admit he is a challenging opponent but whats the fun of a game that is not challenging once and a while?
What, your opponents can only provide a challenge for you if they play as MK?

Find better opponents.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
You're assuming that said counter doesn't also have a counter of his own. He would, and therefore the metagame would end up revolving around in an almost endless cycle, stopping to center around 10 or so different characters.

As it stands, MK is the weakest link that prevents this cycle from occurring.

EDIT: The second question you asked doesn't apply, so I don't need to answer it. It won't happen in Brawl. Snake has a counter- ROB. ROB has a counter- GW. GW has a counter- Snake. DDD has a counter- Marth. Marth has a couple bad match-ups in the top tier. Etc...
Marth doesn't counter Dedede. He actually has a slight disadvantage with Dedede, around 45-55.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
except that "once in a while" is gonna be at every tourney if you play competitively. and btw, which "good" MKs have you beaten?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom