• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Counterpicking seems to make the game uncompetitive. Since skill is the basis of competition at the end of the day, how does this work? Firstly, counterpicking provides a crutch to cover for your weaknesses. Therefore you actually suck at these matchups and are detracting time from your main's practice time. Look at all of the great players. Xyro, for example, goes straight Samus. Why? He's comfortable with his matchups and is certain that he can win them. Xyro exhibits pure skill, which is the nature of competition and its very base. Many other great players never counterpick, rather getting better with their main. I for example, plan to never counterpick. If you can go through with a single character, you can become great. Without counterpicking, the game would be more competitive and people would likely be beating MK easier, considering even a strong secondary doesn't get the same amount of training time as a main on average. So if you played an MK alot, and the matchup is 60:40 against you, eventually you could figure out out to defeat MK.

tl;dr: Counterpicking is bad for competition.

>_>
No, becuase Brawl is a stragety based game. Counterpicking demonstrates skill on many levels.

Example:Game one: I play Diddy on smashville against my opponents Wario. I win that game. They CP Brinstar. I obviously have No game here, so I switch to DK. Since it's one of DK's best stages as well, I remove the supposed advantage they should have gained. If they only play 1 character, they have to deal with another evenish matchup when they should be winning this game. Because I learned how to play more characters on more stages, I removed their CPing advantage. Because I learned to play more characters, I can remove their CP advantage. If they choose not to CP (go to a neutral, stay the same character, ect), thern it's still an evenish matchup. But what about the near unwinnables? I don't care how good people say they are, if you play a 70/30 matchup (falco vs d3), you will lose if your opponent is competent enough. Yes, CO18 can win against lesser falcos, but What happens when he plays SK92, Kismet, ect? He needs a stage or character to counter to realistically win. Because in brawl, unlike in melee, there is a very minor amount of techskill involved in the game for most characters. It's predominatley mindgames and spacing, something in every decent fighter. Since there is so little techs to master, its much more focused on matchups. In melee, we see marths lose to foxes and falcos fairly often. In brawl, you really rarley (really really) see a 70/30 or worse matchup og the other way, because its a lot easier to be on even player skill level. There aren't enough techs to push bad matchups in your favor, so you will almost universally lose a macthup heavily against you.

tl,dr: Brawl doesn't have enough techs to push uneven matchups in your favor. Once you reach a certain level, it's heavily character reliant.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Counterpicking seems to make the game uncompetitive. Since skill is the basis of competition at the end of the day, how does this work? Firstly, counterpicking provides a crutch to cover for your weaknesses. Therefore you actually suck at these matchups and are detracting time from your main's practice time. Look at all of the great players. Xyro, for example, goes straight Samus. Why? He's comfortable with his matchups and is certain that he can win them. Xyro exhibits pure skill, which is the nature of competition and its very base. Many other great players never counterpick, rather getting better with their main. I for example, plan to never counterpick. If you can go through with a single character, you can become great. Without counterpicking, the game would be more competitive and people would likely be beating MK easier, considering even a strong secondary doesn't get the same amount of training time as a main on average. So if you played an MK alot, and the matchup is 60:40 against you, eventually you could figure out out to defeat MK.

tl;dr: Counterpicking is bad for competition.

>_>

So your basically saying pick who you want no matter what. Thats what I see from the Xyro example.
play captain falcon at genesis and tell me how that turns out for you. :laugh:
People want to win. That axiom in itself make the game competitive.
Also you said play MK alot. I think people are doing that now. Face it if you are playing jigglypuff in tourney you dont have a very good chance of winning so competitively your really not legit.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
If all else fails, learn to Perfect Shield everything. A CF who can do that is well off.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Did we ever agree on the ledgegrab rule? If that was implemented, then MK would have a bad stage when it comes to Norfair.
GL with getting people to agree on smashboards. The only thing I know about it is that at genesis, you can't grab the ledge 6 times in a row (How they are going to enfoce this though, I have no idea)

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
GL with getting people to agree on smashboards. The only thing I know about it is that at genesis, you can't grab the ledge 6 times in a row (How they are going to enfoce this though, I have no idea)

-grabs ledge 5 times-

-Comes to stage and downsmashes opponent away then goes back to ledge-

-grabs another 5times-

rinse repeat.

I just won a national tournament.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master

-grabs ledge 5 times-

-Comes to stage and downsmashes opponent away then goes back to ledge-

-grabs another 5times-

rinse repeat.

I just won a national tournament.
I knew that. I meant how can you prove that they grabbed the legde 6 times in a row? If someone isn't watchcing (and there is no way in hell that they will have a judge for every game with a MK in it), it's my word VS theirs. Therefore, unenforcable with baisc reason.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
I knew that. I meant how can you prove that they grabbed the legde 6 times in a row? If someone isn't watchcing (and there is no way in hell that they will have a judge for every game with a MK in it), it's my word VS theirs. Therefore, unenforcable with baisc reason.

I was just pointing out how dumb the rule is, and how i can take advantage of it. lol

edit: the point of my post is to show you can just get them away from you and go back. >_>;

And japanese players camp like hell. Thats why they have their time set to 10min.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
the game should NOT have to come down to counterpicks

certain things like falco vs DDD (falco vs a LOT of chars) or DDD vs DK/Bowser are just unfair and the metagame evolving like that is the worst thing that could happen
LOLWUT?

Dont ban MK ban counter picks.

Also, don't ban MK, ban planking, lol.

Nic64

Smash Lord
LOLWUT?

Dont ban MK ban counter picks.

Also, don't ban MK, ban planking, lol.
planking will still need to be banned even if MK gets banned, he's not the only character that can abuse it.

Ehkoes

Smash Rookie
I hate that metaknight little freak. He's too great. If you were to give any other character just one of his "B" moves....that character would automatically be in high tier. But I don't believe he's perfect. He can be defeated and with more and more people out to defeat him, comes more and more ways to beating him. (or more and more ways for him to defend himself....hopefully not)

I don't go for the ban.....no matter how much I despise him.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7286237&postcount=3799

The counterpick system works. Stop whining about the game being better off if it depends on counterpicks, because it won't. First match is decided by skill, and whoever won the first match, wins the set practically, in an MK-less world. MK wasn't sent from a divine being to regulate Brawl's metagame, so stop being so ignorant and saying that whenever we emphasize the fact that MK actually DOES regulate the usage of characters that actually hinder diversity... How much better off will we be, if DDDs start running around chaingrabbing low tiers?

One thing is true, though... If MK is gone, we'll be seeing more of the other characters. But it's only because the MK mains will main THOSE other characters which we'll be seeing more of. Diddys will keep landing the same wins in tourneys, and so will everyone else.

Is MK the only obstacle between you and 1st place? Or are there other characters that are also beating you? How many times has a single Mk main beaten you? And how many MK mains have beaten you in contrast with that single MK?

My point is, you're not playing different MKs every tourney you go to, and losing to different people. If you actually DO have a problem with MK, it's probably the same person over and over again... Which you are failing to learn, and he is learning your failures... How many times has a random MK-maining nobody beaten you? I'm sure that you already know your local MK mains... But you stll don't know how to beat hem, because you do the same things over and over again: run, try to powershield+grab/evade, then get punished for being so predictable.

Tony_

Smash Ace
the game should NOT have to come down to counterpicks

certain things like falco vs DDD (falco vs a LOT of chars) or DDD vs DK/Bowser are just unfair and the metagame evolving like that is the worst thing that could happen
Basically, this. Brawl would evolve down into who gets the first grab first. CGs are broken in this game.

Well duh. Look at Brawl's sales. Then look at the sales of every other fighting game.
Sales don't mean **** when trying to compare gameplay with everything else.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Basically, this. Brawl would evolve down into who gets the first grab first. CGs are broken in this game.
Really?
Do tell me how Metaknight is stopping falco from CGing everyone else?
Hmm?
oh no my opponent may choose Mk so I should not CG everyone else?
That makes no sense.

Metaknight stops it because he is in the match. He doesn't stop theother characters.
how are CG's broken?
Stop sucking. Don't get grabbed/

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7286237&postcount=3799

The counterpick system works. Stop whining about the game being better off if it depends on counterpicks, because it won't. First match is decided by skill, and whoever won the first match, wins the set practically, in an MK-less world. MK wasn't sent from a divine being to regulate Brawl's metagame, so stop being so ignorant and saying that whenever we emphasize the fact that MK actually DOES regulate the usage of characters that actually hinder diversity... How much better off will we be, if DDDs start running around chaingrabbing low tiers?
HE CHAINGRABS THEM ANYWAY!
HOW DOES METAKNIGHT STOP DDD FROM CING THOSE CHARACTERS!?

You are acting like MK is regulating all matches. he doesn't.
Metaknight regulates his own matches not others.
DDD will still CG Sonic, Mario,Luigi,Samus,Bowser,DK,Pikachu,Peach etc etc when the chance comes up.

You think that will stop him? Hmm?
I mentioned this last time but how does MK stop anything that does not involve himself?

Let alone what the metagame becomes isnt the issue, it is if MK is causing overcentralizing. Simple as that.
One thing is true, though... If MK is gone, we'll be seeing more of the other characters. But it's only because the MK mains will main THOSE other characters which we'll be seeing more of. Diddys will keep landing the same wins in tourneys, and so will everyone else.
Marth, Luigi and Falco deal pretty well with Diddy.
Diddy wont be getting the same wins, because his more problematic matchups would appear considering they have issues with MK.
other stuff
Stop involving the player.
You and several other people here do it.
YOU are lost to MK. Get better.
What does that have to do with the ban?

Such ana rgument is flawed in that it automatically assumes the player has lost cause they suck. It assumes the capabilities of the player, it isnt dealing with the character.

other stuff
No one cares, discuss how the character is not broken. Not how everyone is sucking and losing to him. Since that is irrelevant in the face of what requires a ban.

Character issues is the matter not player one. It does nothing to end the debate by assuming that pro-an people are bad at the game.

No one cares if some newbie loses to Mk all the time. That doesn't change MKs capabilities, it doesn't change how well he does against characters. It doesn't have any effect on the criteria concerning a ban. So do not bring it up again.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
SL
DDD doesnt CG pika
he doesnt CG luigi either.

also, serious question.
I honestly REALLY want to know where the tourneys are that allow D3s infinites. cause i really never see them...

TLMSheikant

Smash Master

DDD will still CG Pikachu

I stopped reading and caring for ur post right there. Metaknight regulates DDDs because he might eliminate some DDDs from the tourney for those CGable characters. And btw, CG is not broken just dont get grabbed. I heard that works.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
SL
DDD doesnt CG pika
he doesnt CG luigi either.

also, serious question.
I honestly REALLY want to know where the tourneys are that allow D3s infinites. cause i really never see them...
Luigi gets infinited.
Kid there are other regions BESIDES Atlantic North.
They tend to allow the infinites.
Just as they allowed wobbling.

Even then I counted it because its part of what DDD can do to the character.
My mistake on pikachu.

I stopped reading and caring for your post right there.
Thats a shame. Going off of one thing is NEVER a good idea.
That ignores what is potentially good because you disagreed.

Metaknight regulates DDDs because he might eliminate some DDDs from the tourney for those CGable characters.
Key word being might.

Let alone the IC's can do the job better than Metaknight can.
OH and we can CP those IC users with other characters, several of which do not have CG's.

There is far too much emphasis on MK regulating things when there are characters who have better matchups against those characters.

Metaknight is a safe choice against those characters, he does well yes, but there are far better characters for those situations.

Even if MK was stopping the game from being camp and CG, it doesn't matter.
All that matters is that his banning means that the game is no longer overcentralizing around one character.

So the argument about " the metagame will turn into this if he is banned" doesn't mean anything.

No matte rhow boring the game may see that does no matter.
So its a , play Metaknight in order to POSSIBLY remoe some of those DDD' then Cp those characters with Marth/Luigi. Then cp hose characters with other characters.

Rather than just whipping out one character.

Do keep in mind I am anti-ban. I just find it silly that these arguments are being applied even though they are not part of the criteria for a ban.

Or rather, not in the way its being done.

gets the job done much more easily.
And btw, CG is not broken just dont get grabbed. I heard that works.[/COLOR]
This is why you should read the entire post, I mentioned that already.

MaNg0FanBoy09

Smash Rookie
after reading over this i dont understand why mango got banned everything he said was like mostly right and tarmacker if he came back mango would be there to **** him =D

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Really?
Do tell me how Metaknight is stopping falco from CGing everyone else?
Hmm?
oh no my opponent may choose Mk so I should not CG everyone else?
That makes no sense.

Metaknight stops it because he is in the match. He doesn't stop theother characters.
how are CG's broken?
Stop sucking. Don't get grabbed/

DDD will still CG Sonic, Mario,Luigi,Samus,Bowser,DK,Pikachu,Peach etc etc when the chance comes up.
Obviously, MK stops this by being a character who is not easily grabbed, therefore people choose him isntead of other easily-grabbed characters to avoid being CG'd. Plus, DDD's cg doesn't work on him, that's ONE way of regulating DDDs in tourneys: people tend to look for a better option against MK, rather than risk their luck with ******** grab games... Cuz that's practically what makes DDD "broken" in the right sense of the word.

MK doesn't stop other matches who don't have MK from NOT cg'ing people. But the option of being able to choose him, makes the DDD player NOT just jump in as DDD, but consider usign someone else if they know their opponent might be an MK user. You suck horribly at understanding the reactions a person might undergo upon a critical situation.

You think that will stop him? Hmm?
I mentioned this last time but how does MK stop anything that does not involve himself?
People don't want to try any of the broken tactics as much as they would, for fear that their opponent would choose MK. A normal DDD mainer would despise being matched up against an MK, so if the opponent has been seen using MK, and the player has been seen using DDD before, he will try to enter the first match as a different character, expecting the other player to use MK... When in reality, the other person MIGHT not use MK.

Let alone what the metagame becomes isnt the issue, it is if MK is causing overcentralizing. Simple as that.
If MK (according to you) overcentralizes, then the metagame revolves around MK too much. If you want him banned, then you want him to stop overcentralizing. Therefore, according to you yourself, you want to change the current metagame into something different, which will be loved by many more... Oh but wait, you said that what the metagame becomes isn't an issue. What redundancy is this of which you speak?

Of course... Who's to say the outcome will bring more to the Brawl world? This is a risk being taken into consideration, depending on where the community lies... And as I can see, half the community is pro-ban, and half could be anti-ban.

Marth, Luigi and Falco deal pretty well with Diddy.
Diddy wont be getting the same wins, because his more problematic matchups would appear considering they have issues with MK.
Stop involving the player.
You and several other people here do it.
YOU are lost to MK. Get better.
What does that have to do with the ban?

Such ana rgument is flawed in that it automatically assumes the player has lost cause they suck. It assumes the capabilities of the player, it isnt dealing with the character.
When did I say "top players" suck because they lose to MK? I am not claiming superiority, nor am I degrading anyone to a lesser degree than what they are. I'm SAYING, that their losses might be ATTRIBUTED to them not being able to LEARN how their opponent's STRATEGY works, so in conclusion, THEY get baited into doing things they SHOULDN'T do, where MK comes uin and punishes them, EARNING the win.

A perfect hypothetical player wouldn't lose against an imperfect REAL MK main, and people can get quite close to be considered 'near perfect', so they could beat MK in theory. And this is obviously true, as we've seen countless people defeating MK mains every once in a while, PLUS we've seen people whose character skill is so amazing, we just have to give them a hand for taking the time to 'semi-perfect' their game. Stop overexaggerating everything, MK is not broken..

No one cares, discuss how the character is not broken. Not how everyone is sucking and losing to him. Since that is irrelevant in the face of what requires a ban.
Trying to explain to you EVERYTHING is like trying to show a blind man what color looks like. The only way for the blind man to see the color is for him to gain sight by some method. So, in order for me to show you how MK isNOT broken, you'll have to see for yourself STARTING BY CONCENTRATING ON MK RATHER THAN THE WHOLE CAST! If you do horrible against everyone while trying to implement something new to your playstyle, deal with it, it'll pay off in the end. Same goes for fighting MK... If need be, CONCENTRATE ON THE MK MATCHUP FOR THE NEXT WEEK(s) and you'll see a sudden increase in your overall output against him.

If matchup ratios DO mean something, then start using the neutral/slightly disadvantageous characters whenever faced against MK, and avoid MK usage at all costs. The might not be the same thing, but their performance is. I used Kirby when faced against MKs at some situations, and now he has become one of my favorite characters of all time. ZSS, my other main, might do OK against MKs, but Kirby has the easiest time, so that's my natural choice against them... And it hasn't failed me yet! My losses have been because of my own mistakes, such as trying to dair-footstool MK offstage at unexpected moments...

Which bring me back to my point: RUSHING MINDLESSLY AGAINST MK WILL ONLY EARN YOU A GIMP! Change your strategies! I did, and 'm MUCH more defensive now than ever before... And it works for me.

Character issues is the matter not player one. It does nothing to end the debate by assuming that pro-an people are bad at the game.
Once again, did I ever say they were bad at the game? Stop reading invisible sentences, you're delusional.

No one cares if some newbie loses to Mk all the time.
Apparently whoever is in charge, does. Otherwise, they'd take the opinions of only REAL pros, and change the rules to however they desire, rather than post a public poll for the whole community, newbie and pro alike, to decide whether it is best to ban, or not...

That doesn't change MKs capabilities, it doesn't change how well he does against characters. It doesn't have any effect on the criteria concerning a ban. So do not bring it up again.
MK's capabilities do not warrant him a ban. The examples of banned characters I've seen so far, all have to do with their character traits that completely halts the game (due to a newfound infinite from the broken character on the rest of the cast, extreme attack:defense ratio where they are practically unbeatable, no skill needed in order to learn their cheap tactics which are unpunishable, etc etc etc...), and as far as I've seen, people win against MK, whether you like it or not. And NOT ALL OF THEM use MK to beat MK, according to the tourney results. So, either you're wrong, or the tourneys are wrong.

PS: Could someone change my vote from "yes" to "no"? I coted without noticing that I didn't click the "No" option right (if it's not too much trouble, that is... And if this poll actually means something. If it doesn'tm, forget I asked anything).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hello, Mango. Sorry you got banned, but hey, you were kinda looking for it. Really, you have the same posting style, and you joined the day that he was banned. I COULD report you, however I will not. All I ask is that you play Brawl Falco (not MK), or better yet, Lucario, and then give us your honest, unbiased opinion of the MK ban.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
....Okaaaaayyy.... you do know that we aren't the only ones to see through your ruse, but whatever. Please add to the discussion. How would banning MK be bad for the community, Mango?

MaNg0FanBoy09

Smash Rookie
My name is fanboy and i think it would be bad just because it shows that you cant beat a character and that ur sissys and banning him just so you dont have to worry about it .... you should learn to deal with it.. THERES NO WAY HES UNBEATABLE .... as mango would say Man Up orrr Man-Go Up...=D

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
My name is fanboy and i think it would be bad just because it shows that you cant beat a character and that ur sissys and banning him just so you dont have to worry about it .... you should learn to deal with it.. THERES NO WAY HES UNBEATABLE .... as mango would say Man Up orrr Man-Go Up...=D
LOL I love this dude XD

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
"Super Banned?" Lol what does that even mean?

On a more on-topic note, I voted against the ban. However, I'm now not entirely sure. While I do believe that MK is the best character in the game and breaks the CP system, which is definitely in place for a reason, I do see the metagame stagnating as "what can we do to make our character beat MK?" While this is definitely not true across the board, it is true enough to cause worry.

Screw it. I still vote No. Play against more MK's in friendlies so you can try to work out a way to beat them for yourselves. Besides that, just get better with your own character. There are plently of good non-MK mains out there.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You really should try harder. Don't make yourself so conspicuous. Don't tell me that this 15 year old can post far better than a 17 year old. Oh, and try, y'know, not having Mango in your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom