• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's a shame that the only good arguments have been anti-ban vs anti-ban.
It's inevitable.

The core of all MK-banning is whining about a character in a video game. No matter how sophisticated or crude the argument is... no matter whether it is just calling him "cheap" or offering some long and drawn out philosophical argument about the metagame... it all boils down to whining johns.

It has been said that MK is unbeatable, when he obviously isn't.
It has been said that MK has too many good matchups, when he obviously doesn't.
It has been said that MK has no bad or even matchups, when he obviously does.
It has been said that everyone will switch to MK, when they obviously aren't.
It has been said that MK is "overcentralizing" the scene, when data shows this isn't true at all.

Since day one, all talk of banning Meta Knight has centered around exaggeration, hyperbole, and nonsensical speculation. End of story.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yes, you should.
Thanks, flattering to hear that from an intelligent poster :)
When are they taking new researchers again anyways?

And yes, Ness & Lucas can use EIDI to force Marth to dash grab each time. That being said, he can still chain them off the stage and finish with a dsmash. I think it's actually an infinite if you use the retreating pivot grab thing I found, though I'm yet to test it.

On a side note, I wish "making the game more fun at a competitive level" was proper grounds for banning >_>

I think almost everyone that doesn't main MK would have more fun if he was out.

salaboB

Smash Champion
It's inevitable.

The core of all MK-banning is whining about a character in a video game. No matter how sophisticated or crude the argument is... no matter whether it is just calling him "cheap" or offering some long and drawn out philosophical argument about the metagame... it all boils down to whining johns.

It has been said that MK is unbeatable, when he obviously isn't.
It has been said that MK has too many good matchups, when he obviously doesn't.
It has been said that MK has no bad or even matchups, when he obviously does.
It has been said that everyone will switch to MK, when they obviously aren't.
It has been said that MK is "overcentralizing" the scene, when data shows this isn't true at all.

Since day one, all talk of banning Meta Knight has centered around exaggeration, hyperbole, and nonsensical speculation. End of story.
What's funny is how you're just accepting that the anti-ban vs anti-ban would be good arguments - that means that at least one side of the anti-ban is being so stupid that someone else who agrees with their final view on this matter is smacking them down. Personally, I gave up arguing against the stupid anti-banners ages ago due to the sheer volume of them present.

For a different view on things:
It has been said that MK has at worst even matchups, which hasn't been disproven.
It has been said that MK has no bad stages, which hasn't been disproven.
It has been said that MK is counterpick resistant in a way no other character in the game is, which hasn't been disproven.
It has been said that MK can be beaten if you just "practice more", which is a gross generalization.
It has been said that Snake beating MK shows MK is not broken, when it shows nothing more than that the accepted matchup is at least close to accurate.
It has been said that if MK is banned Snake would be banned next, when obviously he wouldn't be.
It has been said that if MK is temporarily banned everyone will forget how to fight him and then will perma-ban him, when they obviously wouldn't (For that reason, at the least).
It has been said that MK's been partially soft banned due to community dislike for people playing him, which hasn't been disproven or proven to be immaterial.

I could probably go on, but ... that's really quite enough.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Link get Cged by d3 and Falco. Falco can get the spike at the end of the CG and get free stocks off of grabs.
You can tech the spike if you DI into the stage or just cancel it out if you saved your jump.

Falco ***** due to his ability to shut down Link's camp attempts and getting free 40% with a single grab.

If Link is smart, he won't die to a CG to spike.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Concerning the EIDI thing. It makes little sense because of the video that had been provided.
There is no knockback to grab releases I am quite sure and I do know that the distance Ness and Lucas break away sometimes seems larger. Hmm
Probably a speed thing. I'll conduct the debug code test as well. This has me rather interested.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I planned on not posting anymore, but these are too easy; I can't resist.

It has been said that MK has at worst even matchups, which hasn't been disproven.
First, even if this was true, how is this ban-worthy criteria? Is it a law that all characters must have counters?

Second, SNAKE. SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE. The more it is yelled, the more it is ignored.

This claim has been nonsense from the moment it has been uttered. Clearly MK does better on some stages and worse on others based on the matchup. Many characters like FD against MK, many like Norfair. "No bad stages" is a phrase that doesn't even make sense.

It has been said that MK is counterpick resistant in a way no other character in the game is, which hasn't been disproven.
Even if this were true, what does it have to do with ban-worthiness? You are just repeating your first point, and it's just as irrelevant and wrong the second time.

It has been said that MK can be beaten if you just "practice more", which is a gross generalization.
A gross generalization? Better players beat weaker players that are using Meta Knight ALL THE TIME! MK is far, far, far from a one-way ticket to success. I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

It has been said that Snake beating MK shows MK is not broken, when it shows nothing more than that the accepted matchup is at least close to accurate.
You aren't saying anything here. Snake has an advantage against MK. Even if he didn't, MK still wouldn't be broken. What's your point?

It has been said that if MK is banned Snake would be banned next, when obviously he wouldn't be.
Many pro-banners would not try to ban Snake, DDD, or any other characters after banning Meta Knight. Others would. You can find posts in this very thread of people also wanting to ban Snake.

The slippery slope argument is ignorant and pointless anyway. Arguing against it is strawman-ing the issue, no one intelligent brings it up.

It has been said that if MK is temporarily banned everyone will forget how to fight him and then will perma-ban him, when they obviously wouldn't (For that reason, at the least).
If Meta Knight was truly temp-banned, all his matchups would freeze. No one would get better or worse against him, and he wouldn't get better or worse against anyone.

The idea that the best way to give people practice against Meta Knight is to ban all the Meta Knights so that there are none to practice against is pretty hilarious.

However, only the most obtuse posters are actually arguing for a temp-ban, so it's silly for either of us to bring up.

It has been said that MK's been partially soft banned due to community dislike for people playing him, which hasn't been disproven or proven to be immaterial.
XD!

Meta Knight is in no way "soft-banned". If anyone says "Well, I could have beat you with Meta Knight, but I didn't want to be cheap and play him", they are a lying scrub. They couldn't have beat you with MK. They probably couldn't have beat you with any character. All they are doing is latching on the MK as the hottest new john.

I see the same number of MKs at tourneys now that I did months and months ago: About 10-12% of total tourney entrants.

No, please! It's like shooting Sonics in the barrel! All you are giving is confirmation to what everyone already knows:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy

Nobody is going to disprove MK's match-ups or stage advantages, because they're facts that everyone recognizes, and nobody has said that MK isn't counterpick resistant. None of those help push him to a ban. That's called being the best character in the game... not to mention that there ARE stages and match-ups that do make things tougher on MK.

MK is not so godly that you can't beat him. A lot of these players FIT that generalization because they suck. That's yet another fact which doesn't help your side at all.

Snake beating MK shows more than "oh, it's just close to accurate of what the match-up entails." It also disproves the above point; it turns from a gross generalization to a cold, hard fact. Plus, it disproves that "MK can't be beaten" and "MK is a god above everyone else", because last time I checked, godly characters played against rabble between two players of roughly equal skill meant that the godly character would shut out the opposition all the time, which is not the case.

Why is it obvious that Snake wouldn't be banned? I thought it would be obvious that MK wouldn't be pushed for a ban, yet here we are in thread number 3. Explain this point. Also, you have no proof because the MK ban has not happened. This is just slippery slope anyway, and who cares about that.

Your next point must've been said by some idiot. The closest I've said is that if MK were to return, there's a good chance that he'd get right back to the top again.

The partial soft-ban thing (community influence on someone else's choice) is kinda stupid. It probably exists, but that does nothing to help the pro-ban side. Every game has a character that people avoid, but they avoid them for many reasons. Maybe they act like in that example and avoid MK because "he's cheap." Maybe they avoid him because they don't like him. Maybe they avoid him because they have a better character to use, or because people ***** and moan whenever they see an MK and they don't want to deal with that bull****, or because they simply don't want to use him. Community pressure is almost worthless in this discussion (almost) because you can't tell who doesn't play MK because of it unless you ask everyone, and unless I am mistaken, players who want to win won't avoid him because the guy sitting next to him whines about MK.

Some of that info was disproven, some of it comprises of facts that everyone acknowledges, and some of it comprises of facts that do nothing to help you and are better off not being posted to try and answer something like what you quoted.

RDK

Smash Hero
What's funny is how you're just accepting that the anti-ban vs anti-ban would be good arguments - that means that at least one side of the anti-ban is being so stupid that someone else who agrees with their final view on this matter is smacking them down. Personally, I gave up arguing against the stupid anti-banners ages ago due to the sheer volume of them present.

Speaking of anti-ban vs. anti-ban, Think has yet to respond to my last post about his grievous mathematical errors.

Your point is? Yes, he has no disadvantageous matchups. Must we drag in O. Sagat again?

I fail to see how being counterpick resistant is in any way, shape, or form is compelling evidence for warranting a ban.

You do realize that unless the roster is 100% balanced, there has to be at least one best character, right? It's a matter of degrees, and MK just doesn't cut it when it comes to brokenness.

Annoying? Certainly. Broken? Definitely not.

Wow, I was never aware that practice was not considered to be the defining cornerstone of all competitive play.

In fact, why don't we just get rid of the need for all practicing? And end up with a game that's more like what Sakurai originally intended. Something like Mario Party 57.

If it's five points within the range of accuracy why is there a problem? The next step down from Snake having a slightly advantageous matchup is them going even. Imagine that! MK having even matchups.

Also, this thing you guys have about painting no disadvantageous matchups as "broken" is asinine. You do realize that broken characters can't possibly have neutral matchups, right?

No intelligent anti-banner has made this point. Unfortunately I can't account for the rest of them.

This simply means that people are scrubs.

SourPuff

Smash Rookie
This is just turning into a chicken-egg argument.

What came first? Players developing MK's metagame, or MK's metagame drawing players to develop?

Though, I have to ask, are the character matchup discussions way outdated? Because I've been looking through them and the only character I've seen go even against MK is MK...

RDK

Smash Hero
This is just turning into a chicken-egg argument.

What came first? Players developing MK's metagame, or MK's metagame drawing players to develop?

Though, I have to ask, are the character matchup discussions way outdated? Because I've been looking through them and the only character I've seen go even against MK is MK...
Snake is generally considered to have a slightly advantageous matchup with MK, although he tends to get pegged anywhere between 45-55 MK's favor to 55-45 Snake's favor.

salaboB

Smash Champion
First, even if this was true, how is this ban-worthy criteria? Is it a law that all characters must have counters?

Second, SNAKE. SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE. The more it is yelled, the more it is ignored.
The more it is yelled, the less thought goes into it -- but it's still not been demonstrated that Snake actually has a better than even matchup against MK. The closest currently accepted is 50:50. Do you not understand that 50:50 is not better than even? Why do you think this is proven by you saying it over and over? It's not.

This claim has been nonsense from the moment it has been uttered. Clearly MK does better on some stages and worse on others based on the matchup. Many characters like FD against MK, many like Norfair. "No bad stages" is a phrase that doesn't even make sense.
A "bad stage" is one that actually causes the character to suffer a disadvantaged matchup. A good stage is one where the matchup tips strongly in his favor. Neutral stages for the character are where the matchups tend towards the middle ground between bad and good. Does MK have a proven stage where an opponent gains an advantage against him? I didn't think so.

Even if this were true, what does it have to do with ban-worthiness? You are just repeating your first point, and it's just as irrelevant and wrong the second time.
They're all related when put together, how is this disproving anything?

A gross generalization? Better players beat weaker players that are using Meta Knight ALL THE TIME! MK is far, far, far from a one-way ticket to success. I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.
My point was that it's not saying anything except that MK has some close enough matchups where if you spend more time than your opponent practicing you can beat them -- which can apply to any disadvantaged matchup that isn't too bad a disadvantage. It in no way demonstrates that MK is not ban-worthy. The gross generalization is that getting better somehow magically fixes the problem, that it's all you have to do.

You aren't saying anything here. Snake has an advantage against MK. Even if he didn't, MK still wouldn't be broken. What's your point?
I was saying exactly the same thing you were saying with most of your items: I listed a false thing that someone on the anti-ban side has said proves something and said it didn't prove it. What was your point with your entire list?

Many pro-banners would not try to ban Snake, DDD, or any other characters after banning Meta Knight. Others would. You can find posts in this very thread of peopel also wanting to ban Snake.
People wanting something does not mean it would happen. Are you seriously going to take me up on this and try to prove that people would in fact ban Snake if MK were banned? Because otherwise you should just accept my point.

The slipper slope argument is ignorant and pointless anyway. Arguing against it is strawman-ing the issue, no one intelligent brings it up.
Nobody intelligent would make at least 3 of those claims you listed, yet you listed them anyway. I was imitating your list when I constructed this one, and yes this is one of the points I included to match your "No duh that won't happen" points.

If Meta Knight was truly temp-banned, all his matchups would freeze. No one would get better or worse against him, and he wouldn't get better or worse against anyone.

The idea that the best way to give people practice against Meta Knight is to ban all the Meta Knights so that there are none to practice against is pretty hilarious.

However, only the most obtuse posters are actually arguing for a temp-ban, so it's silyl for either of us to bring up.
Again, bringing up something unproven that an anti-banner has said as a reason to not do something. Does it matter if it takes intelligence to support that argument? Not based on your list...

Meta Knight is in no way "soft-banned". If anyone says "Well, I could have beat you with Meta Knight, but I didn't want to be cheap and play him", they are a lying scrub. They couldn't have beat you with MK. They probably couldn't have beat you with any character. All they are doing is latching on the MK as the hottest new john.

I see the same number of MKs at tourneys now that I did months and months ago: About 10-12% of total tourney entrants.
MK is partially "soft-banned", there is so much community distaste for him that it simply has to influence people being willing to pick him up and main him. That's just human nature -- when a large group of peers frowns on something, people will tend to not do it. It doesn't mean all of them will, it doesn't mean most who already were playing him will switch off of him, it means that some who would have picked him up if there were no stigma attached to him (Like Sheik in Melee never had this level of hatred against) more people would play as him. You'll have to prove that there is no stigma against playing as MK if you want to disprove this one, you can't disprove it just by saying "But some people still play MK" (And seriously, the % playing MK seems severely low compared to what it should be for the undisputed best, and easiest to learn, character in the game)

No, please! It's like shooting Sonics in the barrel! All you are giving is confirmation to what everyone already knows:
You didn't even understand that half my list was poor anti-ban arguments that I included so that mine would be a closer imitation of yours, yet feel you so easily discredited the whole thing. I suppose you think you included the smartest of the pro-ban arguments even though at least half of those were some of the worst exaggerations that had been presented in these discussions.
I fail to see how being counterpick resistant is in any way, shape, or form is compelling evidence for warranting a ban.

You do realize that unless the roster is 100% balanced, there has to be at least one best character, right? It's a matter of degrees, and MK just doesn't cut it when it comes to brokenness.

Annoying? Certainly. Broken? Definitely not.
The issue is that he's the only one who does this. That is why it is a contribution to making him ban-worthy. Even in an unbalanced game, the one best character can have a bad matchup and still be the best character. MK does not have even that one bad matchup.

So that isn't enough on its own, no. But that's how it can matter for the discussion.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Snake is amazingly controversial within the community, MAYBE he beats MK. M2K says they go even (after arguing for several pages with me that he had an advantage, lol, ally did in one match what I couldn't do in days, though I said it was MK's advantage), MAYBE Mk beats him. Either way, it's a close match-up.

It seems he's suggesting that the fact that a character is "beatable" doesn't mean it's not banworthy.

No, Snake doesn't.

Many pro-banners would not try to ban Snake, DDD, or any other characters after banning Meta Knight. Others would. You can find posts in this very thread of people also wanting to ban Snake.

The slippery slope argument is ignorant and pointless anyway. Arguing against it is strawman-ing the issue, no one intelligent brings it up.
Well, understand, it DOES depend on the ban criteria. If MK is banned based on a sufficiently weak criteria, then it can easily be applied to other characters or techniques (avalanche of bans).

However, the way the unintelligent anti-banners used it was just assuming the next best person will be banned.

Basically, Reductio Ad Absurdium (when you apply the same criteria to something else that it should be applicable to and get a ridiculous result) is logically valid, Slippery Slope (when you just assume that the criteria will get looser and looser) is not.

Me and Yuna had a very good Reductio Ad Absurdium argument going in the early stages of the second anti-ban thread using Marth. Perfectly logical and intelligent, and illustrated quite a few flaws in pro-ban's arguments.

Not quite true, he's not soft-banned, but there is a stigma attached to playing him, just like there's a stigma attached to planking. Personally, I think people should just play who they wanna play so we get accurate results.

Thanks, flattering to hear that from an intelligent poster :)
When are they taking new researchers again anyways?

And yes, Ness & Lucas can use EIDI to force Marth to dash grab each time. That being said, he can still chain them off the stage and finish with a dsmash. I think it's actually an infinite if you use the retreating pivot grab thing I found, though I'm yet to test it.

On a side note, I wish "making the game more fun at a competitive level" was proper grounds for banning >_>

I think almost everyone that doesn't main MK would have more fun if he was out.
NP.

Nice to hear that at least one of the more respected Marths respects me and thinks I'm intelligent. I thought I managed to piss off the Marth community a while back.

Regardless, nice to know, ok folks, EIDI DOES WORK, but it only prevents the standing grab, you can still be dashgrabbed and retreating pivot grab might make it an infinite anyway.

I think so does everyone, but having fun it's way too subjective.

No intelligent anti-banner has made this point. Unfortunately I can't account for the rest of them.
No, it was Marth, lol.

Read back to the second ban thread, pro-ban was sloppy with it's "what warrants banning" criteria, so me and Yuna spent several pages explaining that if that ban criteria was correct, Marth was banworthy.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
MK shouldn't be banned (reiteration) i beat an MK fairly easily in a tourney, but i could have had an even easier time if i didnt agree to Jungle Japes.... dang klaptrap.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord

How do you attempt to disprove that? It's been said by many notable mains of characters of Snake, Wario, Falco, and MK that their match-ups against MK are even to the point where at top levels of play, the better player wins. In a match-up that even, how do you attempt to really know the match-up based on subjective things like, "How much does his gimp game mess up the match-up," or, "how well does camping work against him?"

People have been saying forever that at top levels of play, matchups aren't concrete and matchup numbers at best give a general point of where the matchup lies. Hylian said it early on in the thread, I've been saying it multiple times, and it hasn't been directly addressed.

Plus, at worst even matchups don't make a character broken, nor do they make everybody flock to said character. Look at Sagat in SFIV; at worst even matchups, but the metagame is still thriving well.

Before someone says, "DON'T COMPARE MK TO OTHER GAMES!" I'm not comparing MK himself to other game characters, I'm comparing the situations. People are saying that diversity is going to deteriorate and everyone is just going to flock to the best character, yet it's been shown multiple times that characters in games that are just like MK, if not worse, exist just fine in said games and still have healthy communities.

MK having no bad stages hasn't been disproven, but it's shown to be completely irrelevant because many other high tiers also don't have bad stages, just stages that are worse for them. For MK, this is FD. For Snake, this is RC. For Diddy, this is Brinstar. For Wario, this is Mansion, if it's even legal. None of these are BAD stages, just stages that they're worse on.

He has the best matchups. Woo. A character is GOING to have the best matchups no matter what. Even with MK gone, despite the fact that there are clear-cut disadvantageous matchups for the rest of the cast, there's still going to be a character with the best overall matchups.

Plus, as aforementioned, arguably Snake, Wario, Falco, and Diddy could all have advantages on MK, but this links with the whole matchup subjectivity thing.

This is a horrible argument anyway.

It has been said that Ally (and Lain) beating M2K shows that MK is not broken? Is that what you mean? If so, it shows that the best MK in the world is still able to be beaten by another top player. AKA, MK doesn't get this automatic clean sweep in large tournaments. Plus, the fact that the next sole MK main without a secondary was ranked 9th (or 13th, can't exactly remember) with representation from essentially all top MKs with the exception of DSF, who mains other characters also.

APEX tournament results DO mean a lot. People have been saying that they'll wait for APEX and Genesis, now that APEX has come and gone, some people from the pro-ban side have been writing off the results as unimportant.

Obviously he wouldn't be. This is another horrible argument.

What do you mean obviously wouldn't?

MK is temporarily banned=MK can't be used in tournaments. This means that there's no point for any of these other characters to learn the matchup if they aren't ever going to fight him in a serious situation. This also means that there's no point for anyone playing MK if they can't play him in tournament. With the exception of some random people playing friendlied with top MKs, no one is getting the matchup experience.

He comes back, it's the same matchup that people don't know, and the matchup is relatively unchanged. The only different thing is that now, a bunch of people will whine and say, "I like it better without MK, he's cheap and not fun to play against!" or some other variant of that, and now there's even more pressure to ban him.

There is no point of a temp ban. It gets nothing accomplished; you can predict what the metagame would be like without MK with the tournament results of the no MK tournaments scattered around. All a temp ban does is make the situation worse. And there's no point in temporarily banning something if it's not banworthy in the first place.

You pulled up the partial soft-banned thing right after the APEX results to counter the MK-not-placing-well thing, and it was said that all the good MKs were there, and then you changed it to the general statement, which was STILL disproven many times the next like 10 pages on. People don't bend into community pressure, and the people who do aren't good and don't affect high level of play tournament results. But those people are few and far between.

No notable MK main or notable main of anyone is going to drop or not consider using him because of community pressure. How many (good) competitive players don't play Sagat in SFIV, Marth/Fox in Melee, Xianghua in SCII, for the reason that, "They're cheap! I don't want to use them because of the peer-pressure."

ohrightlol. Plus, do you think in a tournament somebody's going to walk up to an MK main and say, "I hate your character, he needs to be banned, pick someone else." People aren't going to do that. And if they did, then the MK main isn't going to buckle into the pressure.

Besides all of that, what point are you trying to make about the MK "soft-banned" thing? Even if it was true (which it isn't) then it's completely irrelevant. Saying that more people WOULD use MK is irrelevant, because you aren't looking at that and you can't tell how many people would. You have to take data from how many people ARE using him.

With that logic, more people WOULD use ICs if they didn't find the CGs hard to do/cheap, more people WOULD use Pit if they didn't find his voice annoying, more people WOULD use Falco if people didn't complain about laser camping and CGs, more people WOULD use D3 if the community didn't complain about infinites, etc.

It's all irrelevant.

Curaga

Smash Ace
1 It has been said that MK has at worst even matchups, which hasn't been disproven.
2 It has been said that MK has no bad stages, which hasn't been disproven.
3 It has been said that MK is counterpick resistant in a way no other character in the game is, which hasn't been disproven.
4 It has been said that MK can be beaten if you just "practice more", which is a gross generalization.
5 It has been said that Snake beating MK shows MK is not broken, when it shows nothing more than that the accepted matchup is at least close to accurate.
6 It has been said that if MK is banned Snake would be banned next, when obviously he wouldn't be.
7 It has been said that if MK is temporarily banned everyone will forget how to fight him and then will perma-ban him, when they obviously wouldn't (For that reason, at the least).
8 It has been said that MK's been partially soft banned due to community dislike for people playing him, which hasn't been disproven or proven to be immaterial.

I could probably go on, but ... blargh blargh blargh witty?.
1. Based on this community's match-up threads the consensus is that he is at worst even. Players personal opinions may be skewed differently. So as far as Smashboards is concerned, this statement is true.

2. Seems general consensus is Green Greens. There are other characters who have no bad stages.

3. Going back to the same idea of the community match up, counter picks would actually be considered a changing of character to compliment one's own playstyle and comfort level with an MK opponent. Or, going off the match-ups, to pick a character that is more advantageous compared to their first character pick. However, even picking a hard counter versus other characters obviously doesn't guarantee a win.

4. This "gross generalization" is just common sense. Players who practice heavily against high level MK players will generally play better against a MK, than players who don't have that luxury. This is how metagames are progressed. Obviously, players who play against MKs on a regular basis have more of an opinion and backing on this actual topic.

5. This has been pulled and twisted in so many ways. All the results of Apex show is that MK is beatable at an extremely high level. This was only proof to people who previously thought that high-level MKs were unstoppable. Really why even bring this up?

6. You pretty much answered this scenario. He wouldn't be. But the accepted idea is, if you can ban one character for "said reasons", then what is stopping the community from pushing to ban another character for those same "said reasons".

7. This is just more stupidity that people (you) keep jumping on. The idea is that competitive players will focus more and more on match-ups that don't involve MK if MK were to be banned. No one will "forget how to fight MK" it will just stunt the metagame "a little bit" for those competitive level players who focus on tournaments. Obviously, no one can reach into your Wii and delete MK so this is just taken far too out of context.

8. Uh. It has been said that some tournament organizers will occaisonally ban MKs from their tournaments to see how characters will do and place without him, and generally for the idea of fun. (read as: ****s and giggles) This would be the same as banning Ken, Ryu, and Chun-Li (sorry for another SF reference) just for the sake of seeing more characters being used in a tournament. Proven to be immaterial is right, this isn't related to the topic at hand.

RDK

Smash Hero
Snake is amazingly controversial within the community, MAYBE he beats MK. M2K says they go even (after arguing for several pages with me that he had an advantage, lol, ally did in one match what I couldn't do in days, though I said it was MK's advantage), MAYBE Mk beats him. Either way, it's a close match-up.

I think Snake does have a slightly advantageous matchup. Slightly means anywhere from just above neutral to 55-45.

Quite a lot of pros agree with it In fact, the only player that comes quickly to mind who doesn't think so is M2K. But he has a lot of weird opinions anyway, so whatever.

And if you're pulling your stats from the Tactical matchup threads, those are ridiculously outdated.

Edit: Holy ****, speak of the devil lol.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
I think Snake does have a slightly advantageous matchup. Slightly means anywhere from just above neutral to 55-45.

Quite a lot of pros agree with it In fact, the only player that comes quickly to mind who doesn't think so is M2K. But he has a lot of weird opinions anyway, so whatever.

And if you're pulling your stats from the Tactical matchup threads, those are ridiculously outdated.
Both the Snake and the MK boards' "official matchup" threads say that it's 55:45 MK. It's no surprise that people just casually looking at the matchup would assume that MK has the advantage.

[Edit] Maybe those are the threads you're referring to. At any rate, they're a bit too easy to find if they're completely outdated :p

salaboB

Smash Champion
Not quite true, he's not soft-banned, but there is a stigma attached to playing him, just like there's a stigma attached to planking. Personally, I think people should just play who they wanna play so we get accurate results.
Which is why I called it a "partial" soft-ban. It's just a label for the stigma against MK influencing people's decision to play as him. Since a soft-ban is a non-rule enforced choice by players to not use a certain character, the effect is similar. Apparently modified terminology confuses people, and I should use your term in the future.

No, it was Marth, lol.

Read back to the second ban thread, pro-ban was sloppy with it's "what warrants banning" criteria, so me and Yuna spent several pages explaining that if that ban criteria was correct, Marth was banworthy.
According to the Marth boards, Marth actually has a couple bad matchups (Snake and DDD are both listed as 60:40, their advantage) -- I believe also there are some stages that can put him at a disadvantage against more. I don't recall who you were arguing it against, but it was some specific pro-ban people and certainly not a fully supported "pro-ban" criteria. Also considering that I've yet to see a generally supported ban criteria that didn't include "No disadvantaged matchups" I'd say you and Yuna took your counterexample a bit overboard on your claims (Either that or Marth's matchup knowledge has changed since then so he no longer would work for it).

If Marth truly has no disadvantaged matchups, that information needs cleaning up, but it's what I got from the official stickied matchup thread.

RDK

Smash Hero
According to the Marth boards, Marth actually has a couple bad matchups (Snake and DDD are both listed as 60:40, their advantage) -- I believe also there are some stages that can put him at a disadvantage against more. I don't recall who you were arguing it against, but it was some specific pro-ban people and certainly not a fully supported "pro-ban" criteria. Also considering that I've yet to see a generally supported ban criteria that didn't include "No disadvantaged matchups" I'd say you and Yuna took your counterexample a bit overboard on your claims (Either that or Marth's matchup knowledge has changed since then so he no longer would work for it).

If Marth truly has no disadvantaged matchups, that information needs cleaning up, but it's what I got from the official stickied matchup thread.
This is what I'd like to know: do two slightly disadvantageous matchups (which is arguable in the first place BTW) really make Marth that much different in respect to Meta Knight? What exactly is your objective limit to when MK stops being broken? If he loses a technique? If we crank down some of his attacks by a few frames? When is enough, and when is too much?

Then the question becomes "Why doesn't Marth fit this criteria?" Refer back to my previous two posts.

It's all a matter of degrees. Meta's annoyingly good, but still not ban-worthy; not by any stretch of the imagination. If Marth's matchups are any indication of how close he is to MK, then surely it should spark some sort of concern about him being "too good" as well?

And if he's only two disadvantageous matchups away from being another Meta Knight, then getting rid of Meta Knight doesn't even fix the problem--you just created another one in Marth. This is exactly why the "no disadvantageous matchups" thing doesn't work; at least not on its own.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I just thought I'd mention this, salaboB. If we were to add "no disadvantaged MUs" to ban criteria for competitive games to a game that had one character that had all 50-50s against the rest of the cast, and all other characters had at least one bad MU even if the rest were 50-50 or better, would that mean that the character with 50-50s only was ban worthy? This is the type of scenario that I was referring to when I was talking about "underlying truths" in our discussion regarding ban criteria.

Also, I apologize if I missed it, but I still haven't seen your answers to my questions regarding your opinions on ban criteria and why you think the standards should be lower. Could you either re-state them or give me a general idea of when you did (aprox. days ago, aprox. pages ago, etc.) so that I can see them? Thanks in advance.

RDK

Smash Hero
Snake beats MK if MK doesn't gimp him

if MK gets a gimp then he wins

it's balanced out and really fun
You're probably right, but if you are then that means stages heavily effect this matchup. Whether it sways to one side or the other depends on who's picking stages.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Meta Knight isn't broken. But he is especially unbalanced and has become center of the metagame. Brawl DOES revolve around him; if not, we wouldn't be here.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
How do you attempt to disprove that? It's been said by many notable mains of characters of Snake, Wario, Falco, and MK that their match-ups against MK are even to the point where at top levels of play, the better player wins. In a match-up that even, how do you attempt to really know the match-up based on subjective things like, "How much does his gimp game mess up the match-up," or, "how well does camping work against him?"

People have been saying forever that at top levels of play, matchups aren't concrete and matchup numbers at best give a general point of where the matchup lies. Hylian said it early on in the thread, I've been saying it multiple times, and it hasn't been directly addressed.
Appeal to authority fallacy, though it should be CLOSE. Unless they're missing something ridiculous.

That said, for Falco, I completely disagree, planking destroys him. Possibly Wario as well, I'm not sure how effective bike parts are against Planking.

Edit: Holy ****, speak of the devil lol.
Actually, it's more like I've been debating about this since the early days of Brawl, back when Snake was the ****.

I always though Snake had a 60-40, but I revised my opinions slightly after my debate with M2K, Inui, and others on the previous pro-ban thread because I hadn't fully accounted for the effectiveness of grenades, primarily cause I didn't know they were that good. I'm now a proponent of 55-45 MK, based on the technical data of the characters and their respective mindgames potential as I understand it.

Lol, me? Pull my info from that? Yeah, you noticed the irony of the situation too.

Which is why I called it a "partial" soft-ban. It's just a label for the stigma against MK influencing people's decision to play as him. Since a soft-ban is a non-rule enforced choice by players to not use a certain character, the effect is similar. Apparently modified terminology confuses people, and I should use your term in the future.
The thing is, conceptually they contradict each other, "ban" is universal, so partial just doesn't work from it.

I understood what you meant, but I figured it would be better to give you a better buzzword to use.

Well, at the time, Marth had at worst 55-45 match-ups though the thread does need clean-up. Technically speaking, DDD is Marth's only 60-40, because Snake only gets the advantage with controller port priority (yes, it changes the game that much), otherwise it's a 55-45.

This leaves out MK for obvious reasons.

Those are, in community parlance, neutrals (except on Marth boards), which brought up the discussion.

Yes, we did take it a bit too far, but we did get our point across pretty well.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I just thought I'd mention this, salaboB. If we were to add "no disadvantaged MUs" to ban criteria for competitive games to a game that had one character that had all 50-50s against the rest of the cast, and all other characters had at least one bad MU even if the rest were 50-50 or better, would that mean that the character with 50-50s only was ban worthy? This is the type of scenario that I was referring to when I was talking about "underlying truths" in our discussion regarding ban criteria.
Depends how bad the bad matchups for those characters are, and who they're to. This scenario is far too vague for me to answer you on with the given details, I'm not going to commit to anything specific unless you outline who the bad matchups are to for the other "high" tier characters (ie, it makes a difference if the one bad matchup is another high tier and who that high tier's bad matchups are, or if it's against a low tier). It could go either way, though I'd likely say yes the character should be banned since it would break that game's rock-paper-scissors strategy and be the universal fall-back (Unless such existing was a desired goal for the community to have present -- last I checked, that wasn't something people especially wanted in Brawl).
Also, I apologize if I missed it, but I still haven't seen your answers to my questions regarding your opinions on ban criteria and why you think the standards should be lower. Could you either re-state them or give me a general idea of when you did (aprox. days ago, aprox. pages ago, etc.) so that I can see them? Thanks in advance.
I haven't been logged in for the last few days, but to put it succinctly: You required an explanation for why a competitive game would be improved with a reasonably level playing field for selection among the available characters, and that shows an inherently different view of things from the way I see it. I honestly believe it would take far too much effort for me to explain it, and even my best might not be enough to reach an understanding between our two views. It's been noted that my view tends towards more the way the Japanese community views things than the American one, if that helps you understand where this disconnect might be originating from (ie, I'm not drawing it from the Japanese community but some of the things that make people go, "Huh?" for Japanese reasoning contribute here).
This is what I'd like to know: do two slightly disadvantageous matchups (which is arguable in the first place BTW) really make Marth that much different in respect to Meta Knight? What exactly is your objective limit to when MK stops being broken? If he loses a technique? If we crank down some of his attacks by a few frames? When is enough, and when is too much?
The difference is that what you're describing right there (Two slightly disadvantaged matchups) is pretty much what Snake has -- so suddenly you have a relatively level field of selection between Marth and Snake. Add in that DDD is also a strong character and a threat to both of them, and you've got a solid three characters that you could reasonably choose from as the best option available to start a match with. Right now? You're smartest if you pick MK, as anyone else could be forced to a disadvantaged initial round (Assuming your opponent reads you correctly and has a counter available -- feel like gambling when you don't have to?)

salaboB

Smash Champion
You can edit your settings so it doesn't.
What gets me is when people include things that should be part of their signature as a post sign-off (In every single post they make -- ie, exactly what a signature is supposed to be). I have signatures disabled for a reason...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Appeal to authority fallacy, though it should be CLOSE. Unless they're missing something ridiculous.

That said, for Falco, I completely disagree, planking destroys him. Possibly Wario as well, I'm not sure how effective bike parts are against Planking.
The bike works pretty well from what I've seen.

Falco can combat planking if he's smart. SK98 was able to do fine against Plank.

Granted I don't think Planking should be legal, but regardless, it doesn't completely destroy Falco.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Wario doesn't fall fast, has a fine recovery and has projectiles he can make fall slow enough to catch MK should he slip a few frames. How does planking touch him?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Wario doesn't fall fast, has a fine recovery and has projectiles he can make fall slow enough to catch MK should he slip a few frames. How does planking touch him?
Wario? Projectiles??????????????????????

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Depends how bad the bad matchups for those characters are, and who they're to. This scenario is far too vague for me to answer you on with the given details, I'm not going to commit to anything specific unless you outline who the bad matchups are to for the other "high" tier characters (ie, it makes a difference if the one bad matchup is another high tier and who that high tier's bad matchups are, or if it's against a low tier). It could go either way, though I'd likely say yes the character should be banned since it would break that game's rock-paper-scissors strategy and be the universal fall-back (Unless such existing was a desired goal for the community to have present -- last I checked, that wasn't something people especially wanted in Brawl).

This was my fault, I should have been more clear. I'll put more specifics into it. There are a total of 10 characters in this game (this is hypothetical, mind you). The Match-Up chart would look something like this...

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Char. 1 50-50 / 10-90 / 45-55 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 65-35 / 55-45 / 60-40

Char. 2 90-10 / 50-50 / 80-20 / 70-30 / 50-50 / 75-25 / 50-50 / 60-40 / 45-55 / 50-50

Char. 3 55-45 / 20-80 / 50-50 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 60-40 / 30-70 / 75-25 / 40-60 / 45-55

Char. 4 60-40 / 30-70 / 60-40 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 30-70 / 65-35 / 60-40 / 55-45

Char. 5 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50

Char. 6 60-40 / 25-75 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 30-70 / 60-40 / 55-45 / 50-50

Char. 7 50-50 / 50-50 / 70-30 / 70-30 / 50-50 / 70-30 / 50-50 / 55-45 / 70-30 / 40-60

Char. 8 35-65 / 40-60 / 25-75 / 35-65 / 50-50 / 40-60 / 45-55 / 50-50 / 60-40 / 45-55

Char. 9 45-55 / 55-45 / 60-40 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 45-55 / 30-70 / 40-60 / 50-50 / 50-50

Char. 10 40-60 / 50-50 / 55-45 / 45-55 / 50-50 / 50-50 / 60-40 / 55-45 / 50-50 / 50-50

Match-Up Numbers are read with 1st number being character in the left column, followed by character in the top column. The only even Match-Ups are 50-50, all others are either adv./dis. or dis./adv. There are no discrepancies, and no debatable MUs. It is also assumed that the way of competing is that of Smash Bros., meaning sets of three are played and all counter-pick rules are applied. All stages are static and offer no advantages between characters.

Please forgive me if the formatting doesn't work on the post, or if there are errors (I did this rather hastily). Am I correct in understanding that according to this data, the only character ban-worthy is character 5? If so, please state why this should be so.

Also, how do you know that the "rock paper scissors" aspect of the game is what people in brawl generally want? Last I had checked the "Do People Counter-pick?" thread made by RK, people claimed to only cp characters that completely destroyed their main or something similar, rather than for the strategic element. Why is it important to overall game-play and competition to have the "rock, paper, scissors" aspect to overall strategy? Finally, Brawl isn't a true "rock paper scissors" type of game due to the fact that both players don't blind pick their characters every time.

I haven't been logged in for the last few days, but to put it succinctly: You required an explanation for why a competitive game would be improved with a reasonably level playing field for selection among the available characters, and that shows an inherently different view of things from the way I see it.
I wasn't asking how it would improve it, I was asking why it was necessary. Why is a more level playing field the goal of a competitive game and why should we ban things for that goal?

I honestly believe it would take far too much effort for me to explain it, and even my best might not be enough to reach an understanding between our two views. It's been noted that my view tends towards more the way the Japanese community views things than the American one, if that helps you understand where this disconnect might be originating from (ie, I'm not drawing it from the Japanese community but some of the things that make people go, "Huh?" for Japanese reasoning contribute here).
I think I've been reasonable up until this point, but I can't help but begin to feel a bit insulted at your constant attempts to avoid answering my questions. If this issue is important enough for you to post arguments in, it should be important enough for you to explain the reasoning behind your opinions (which you have claimed are the basis for your arguments). I've stated that at least three times and I will continue to state it until you will at least acknowledge what I am asking you and make some sort of attempt to answer. As to the Japanese community reference, what aspect of the community? Outside of Smash, I'm an opera singer by trade. It's my job to understand other cultures and ways of thinking, so very few of them sound all that strange to me as long as the reasoning behind why is provided. In short, what is the Japanese way of thinking that you are referring to and how does it apply here? On a side note, if it is a Japanese cultural way of thinking that you are deriving your way of thinking from, why have the Japanese not already banned Metaknight, or at least had discussions about it?

I apologize for being so confrontational about this, but I really would appreciate a direct response. My only intention is to understand the truth of the matter, and I pursue that end in earnest.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Wario can c-stick downthrow his bike to beat Planking. Without it, his aerial DI makes it easier for him to maneuver, but the c-stick downthrow bike is going to hit the planker unless they stop and move.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Match-Up Numbers are read with 1st number being character in the left column, followed by character in the top column. The only even Match-Ups are 50-50, all others are either adv./dis. or dis./adv. There are no discrepancies, and no debatable MUs. It is also assumed that the way of competing is that of Smash Bros., meaning sets of three are played and all counter-pick rules are applied. All stages are static and offer no advantages between characters.

Please forgive me if the formatting doesn't work on the post, or if there are errors (I did this rather hastily). Am I correct in understanding that according to this data, the only character ban-worthy is character 5? If so, please state why this should be so.
No, character 2 is more broken than character 5 with the way you have it laid out - a 45:55 is so close it may as well be considered neutral. Given that there are two "even" characters character 5 would not need a ban, as it would simply be a natural response to character 2 -- there are two characters that it's intelligent to select between (The extremely strong 2 with only one very minor disadvantaged matchup, or the ensured safe against it or anyone else 5). It would depend on the goals of the community if they wanted to ban both to try to open up more diversity, from just a dry example for a nonexistant game I couldn't possibly make even a recommendation on whether leaving both or banning both would create better results.
Also, how do you know that the "rock paper scissors" aspect of the game is what people in brawl generally want? Last I had checked the "Do People Counter-pick?" thread made by RK, people claimed to only cp characters that completely destroyed their main or something similar, rather than for the strategic element. Why is it important to overall game-play and competition to have the "rock, paper, scissors" aspect to overall strategy? Finally, Brawl isn't a true "rock paper scissors" type of game due to the fact that both players don't blind pick their characters every time.[/COLOR]
I don't know that they don't want it, but I was referencing specifically a character with only 50:50 matchups. MK not only has that as his worst but has better for many. Don't change the focus of your argument like that and expect my response to still be relevant.

I wasn't asking how it would improve it, I was asking why it was necessary. Why is a more level playing field the goal of a competitive game and why should we ban things for that goal?
If basic time investment being even matters, MK is a problem. If you're okay with MK users getting off easy on it, then nothing I can say will convince you. It comes down to this: Everyone except MK has "Master two characters or deal with bad matchups" to face. You either spend your time on two characters, one your main and one to cover that main's bad matchups, or you spend your time perfecting the bad matchups so you have more ability at them. MK does not have to spend more time at either of those - he needs no secondary to cover his bad matchups, and he doesn't take more practicing so that you can beat those of slightly lower skill than you at them.

Note that this only really applies to high tier characters for the fairness, I'm not trying to do something ridiculous like balancing out the time investment required to cover a lower tier character's weaknesses (Though even there you should be able to find a second character to cover their drawbacks, and use the lower tier one when not facing a horribly offset matchup so the option of mastering two characters or just dealing with the bad matchups still holds true even there for effort requirements.)

I think I've been reasonable up until this point, but I can't help but begin to feel a bit insulted at your constant attempts to avoid answering my questions. If this issue is important enough for you to post arguments in, it should be important enough for you to explain the reasoning behind your opinions (which you have claimed are the basis for your arguments). I've stated that at least three times and I will continue to state it until you will at least acknowledge what I am asking you and make some sort of attempt to answer. As to the Japanese community reference, what aspect of the community? Outside of Smash, I'm an opera singer by trade. It's my job to understand other cultures and ways of thinking, so very few of them sound all that strange to me as long as the reasoning behind why is provided. In short, what is the Japanese way of thinking that you are referring to and how does it apply here? On a side note, if it is a Japanese cultural way of thinking that you are deriving your way of thinking from, why have the Japanese not already banned Metaknight, or at least had discussions about it?

I apologize for being so confrontational about this, but I really would appreciate a direct response. My only intention is to understand the truth of the matter, and I pursue that end in earnest.
I'm fed up with your assumptions about why I hold these views. I said "Bans are opinions" and you started in on me accusing my view of having no basis in fact. Opinions can and generally are based in fact. I went into significant detail about why all ban criteria in Brawl is opinion based - there is no governing board that's laid out rules, so there's no other option. Yet even with that explanation you persisted in working from the viewpoint that my ban criteria were purely opinion and had no basis in fact unless I suddenly answered the questions you had demanded an answer for - questions I'd provided the answers for throughout this thread, and had even largely answered in my previous posts to you. All of my reasoning has justification behind it, but it's still just my opinion because there are no guidelines for Brawl from any official ruling group to base decisions on. That would be when it would cease to just be popular opinion driving the banning or not. That entirely insulting basic assumption is why you didn't receive an answer from me up to this point, and frankly you're not getting any more after this post - you can read it from what I say with other people if this one doesn't explain enough.

I will not play dog and pony show for you, jumping through hoops you've set up to get the answers you're looking for simply because my response was not in the line you were expecting.

As far as the culture, the Japanese Brawl community has, from what I understand, more of a "Play fair and fun" aspect to it - they're far more liberal with their bans (Especially soft banning the stronger or campier characters) in many games than Americans are. Americans have some kind of obsession with "Every option that's available must be left in the game if possible" that leaves soft bans unheard of and hard bans very rare.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
Why is a more level playing field the goal of a competitive game and why should we ban things for that goal?
This question is so ridiculous I feel compelled to answer.

Why is a level playing field the goal of a competitive game? Because without a level playing field, you have no competitive game.

Why should we ban things for that goal? See the first answer.

Now, a question that might be more appropriate could be "when is a playing field level enough?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom