• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It doesn't ****ing matter. You're not taking the message out of my post:

<insert argument>

History is not an especially solid indication of what happens when you do something anyway. Only idiots think that, especially in this case.
First off, I never made the claim, "Because decision d happens in tradition/history, d is correct." In fact, nobody sensible has made this claim. Again, stop talking about all of this "Appeal to Tradition" and "Appeal to Authority" stuff, because you're doing similar stuff.

Second, there's a difference between "MK shouldn't be compared to Old Sagat when talking about a ban" and "Fighting game history doesn't matter." You said the second and now you're trying to make it sound like the first. That was sectioned off into its own miniature paragraph, and it didn't even tie into the next one, which was just something targeting another poster.

Third, only an idiot would think that a model is an especially solid indication of what happens when you do something anyway. The term "model" was used because it is just that - a model. A model of what could happen, not what will happen. They're not crystal balls, but they do provide data that can be of some value to Brawl, even.

I was pretty reasonable earlier in the thread.
And thus you admit that you're being unreasonable now.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
History of other gaming communities in similar situations: Doesn't matter - why? Isn't answered
It doesn't matter because they aren't playing this game. Even so, MK is a unique situation. Old Sagat is the closest one we've got and he had even match-ups, Meta Knight doesn't. It's true that MK isn't Akuma, but MK also is not Sagat.

But none of that matters, because Brawl's not Street Fighter. They are different games, both with long, complex unique histories that don't benefit from side-by-side comparison.
The FACT that Meta Knight only destroys 3 characters that are viable: Doesn't matter - why? Isn't answered.
It is way, way more complicated than MK hard-countering a character. MK makes it more difficult, for say, Diddy, to win tourneys. Not much harder, but Diddy is a really great character.

Removing MK makes Diddy more likely to win tourneys, in addition to certain other characters. These characters are counter-picked by other characters. In the case of Diddy Kong, Peach is a good CP against Diddy, thus making her more viable than she was before, even though Meta Knight might not be her biggest problem. There are plenty of other examples and you're probably smart enough that I dont' need to spell out every single one.
Meta Knight not being played by everyone: Doesn't matter - why? Isn't answered.
MK is played by nearly everyone who wants to win and doesn't have an underdog complex. The others are playing characters with close-to-even matchups vs Meta Knight like Snake or Wario (neither of who are truly even and get beaten at the highest level, assuming equal skill).
Personal insults and throwing around strong wording: Oh, there we are. Neat-o!
At your service.
I had to ignore him because the amount of sheer ****ing fail was ****ing ludicrous.
Great. Hopefully Yuna will ignore me next and I won't have to reply to either of you.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
It doesn't matter because they aren't playing this game. Even so, MK is a unique situation. Old Sagat is the closest one we've got and he had even match-ups, Meta Knight doesn't. It's true that MK isn't Akuma, but MK also is not Sagat.
MK has even matchups.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Wario is actually even. According to the Wario boards and someone else earlier in the thread (like two days back?) who said that the MK boards are reconsidering matchups. In fact they're generally getting 5 worse for MK.

That and it's widely agreed that Snake has the advantage on FD.

Curaga

Smash Ace
Outside of the past couple of pages which is just two/three people Q.Qing to each other~

Meta Knight is a trump card. Not undefeatable, just requires certain measures and playing styles.
Clearly, in this game, its not best to just carry one character but to master two or more. So wouldn't it be logical to insure that one of your characters works well against Meta Knight?

I'm trying to understand why this is still a big issue with such a close poll.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Sorry. Snake, Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, ZSS, whoever else that people used to think were even, are not even.
They still are winnable. Meta Knight does not destroy any viable character but Marth, ROB, and Peach. That's 3 characters that are "made unviable" by Meta Knight. If you are talking about Low Tiers - those are suffering far more problems than just Meta Knight. True, Meta Knight destroys many Low Tiers, but so do other Top Tier characters.

If you say "half the cast", this means that Meta Knight has to make at least 13 characters unviable. Maybe you can squeeze up 13, but only 3 of them actually matter, which are Marth, ROB and Peach. Also, these 13 characters better not have any other problem but Meta Knight, otherwise your argument is moot.

And by "make unviable", I mean a matchup of at least 65:35 in Meta Knight's favor, and not any outdated information, please. Many matchup threads are outdated or downright wrong.

Last but not least, where is your proof that these matchups are not even or close to even, despite the fact that the character boards mutually agreed and many top players stated it (as is the case for Snake, Wario and Diddy)?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
First off, lies are intentional.
From dictionary.com
A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.
Learn the English language.
Oh, I'm sorry for having English as my 3rd language! I made one lingual mistake! Woe is me! You were spreading falsehoods then!

And you didn't even own up to it! Just admit you were making **** up and/or spreading falsehoods instead of arguing semantics.
I know Yuna's arguments are stronger than mine.

I still did refute other points.

I did however get stopped by Eyada...
You got "stopped" by Eyada?
No, I don't reply to your entire posts because I get exhausted just reading a single one. Your aggressive, offensive, long-winded style of argumentation is off-putting and is not condusive to a debate with a positive outcome (regardless of what it actually is).
Aggresive, yes. Offensive, only to those of a faint heart. And if you don't want to read people's posts in their entirety (or at least more than 1 sence here and there), don't reply to them.

You are cherry-picking/randomly picking what to reply to. Thus, hypocrisy.

None of what you've even said matters. Fighting game history doesn't matter. Brawl is not a fighting game in the traditional sense and characters are not sacred no matter how much you keep spouting on about them. Even if they were, it's appeal to tradition. Look that up, buddy. Tournament results are in the pro-ban argument's favor.
I just told you why it matters. Because we have precedence that proves that the doomsday scenario your side loves to paint up will not occur.

Every time you start posting, you say the same ****. "That's not good enough." Well, I think it is good enough. The whole argument is opinion. There's no fact here. There's no definitive answer. We're going back and forth over how we think a situation in the game should be handled.
I used several facts in the post you just replied to. You used zero facts in this post I'm currently replying to. Hypocrisy, much?

Cold, hard reality (and I mean, non-idealist, no-bull**** reality) is this: Meta Knight is ****ing ridiculous and it's not going away. There's not going to be some hero character or AT discovered in the next year or two years or five years that magically makes MK less prominent, less important, less absurdly centralizing. It isn't going to decrease the sense that not picking up MK as a secondary at the very least makes you less competitive. Nothing is going to be discovered that makes competitive players less inclined to do what makes them win. You don't have a problem with that? You don't care that most people are playing one character? You think that's just the way figilhting games are? Are you really going to claim to be the most logical person here and ****ing appeal to tradition in the same breath, you *******?
Most Competitive video games have a character like MK, a character that's a great counterpick or main. We've already showed you why this isn't enough for a ban, especially since people are winning with characters other than MK. You're the one who wants an idealist BS world where at least half the cast is viable or some such BS.

Guess what, the MK gone, the number of viable characters will increase by one: Marth. Yay!

Well, *******, I do have a problem with it and as of right now, at least 48.70% of the people who voted in this poll do, as well as at least half the SBR.
And you know this since when? You're not in the SBR. Are you making stuff up as usual?

Even more of them are waiting for the Apex and Genesis results if you were standing next to me, you couldn't look me in the eye and tell me what you thought the results were going to be without there being at least six MK mains and secondaries in the top 10.
Yes, and? Whoopitty doo. How horrible! Six MK mains and secondaries (oh noes, secondaries!) in the Top 10! Apex isn't even over yet.

That is reality. Get your head out of the god ****ed sand.
I know fully well what the reality of things are. And I'm asking: So what? Get your head out of your tuchas. This isn't Super La La Brothers Happy Genki Brawl. If MK takes 6 Top 10s at Apex, so be it. Who cares? That's the reality of Competitive fighting games.

Only someone who has never played any game other than Smash Competitively would whine about something such as that. Other scenes suffer far worse **** in the results (most notably 3rd Strike) but they don't care. And their scenes are flourishing better than Brawl's.

EDIT: LOL at Yuna probably quoting my post line by line and responding to every single one with an aggressive, substanceless argument that no one has time or energy to reply to.
This is rich coming from someone who has yet to provide a single fact or piece of evidence to substantiate his arguments other than subjective analysis of cherry-picked tournament results (and assumed such results of Apex).

Hypocrisy yet again!

Meta Knight is banworthy because it would be that much better a game without him
BS argument. Why don't we ban all of S and Top Tier? Because the game would be much more diverse and thus, better, without them.

We don't ban to maximize subjective notions such as "fun".

This proves just much you've followed the discussion. Yun (3S) has zero disadvantageous match-ups, zero even match-up (one is 55:45-ish) and the rest are 60-40 to ****-0.

Yun wasn't banned either.

But none of that matters, because Brawl's not Street Fighter. They are different games, both with long, complex unique histories that don't benefit from side-by-side comparison.
It is way, way more complicated than MK hard-countering a character. MK makes it more difficult, for say, Diddy, to win tourneys. Not much harder, but Diddy is a really great character.
A lot of character make it more difficult for X character(s) to win tournaments.

Removing MK makes Diddy more likely to win tourneys, in addition to certain other characters. These characters are counter-picked by other characters. In the case of Diddy Kong, Peach is a good CP against Diddy, thus making her more viable than she was before, even though Meta Knight might not be her biggest problem. There are plenty of other examples and you're probably smart enough that I dont' need to spell out every single one.
Just because certain characters are slightly more probable to win tournaments if we ban MK does mean such a ban would be warranted. What ridiculous reasoning.

MK is played by nearly everyone who wants to win and doesn't have an underdog complex.
Funny, then why isn't MK winning all tournaments? How come there are so many players out there who do not play MK? Also, that does not matter! You still have the choice to play as several other characters and still stand a pretty darn good chance of winning major tournaments. As long as that choice exists, MK should not be banned.

The others are playing characters with close-to-even matchups vs Meta Knight like Snake or Wario (neither of who are truly even and get beaten at the highest level, assuming equal skill).
At your service.
Great. Hopefully Yuna will ignore me next and I won't have to reply to either of you.
Every single argument you just brought up are a year old and have all been refuted already.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Actually, the biggest players haven't given their opinion, although Dojo does say that Wario is really hard. And Wario beats out a lot of MK stuff. On top of that, the Warios' guide by MC says that it's 50:50, so...

And I said that Snake has the advantage.

And can't you just unban the struck stage second round???

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah I was stopped by Eyada. Again, you and Ampharos are better than I am.

You both were able to beat his arguments.

I mean, I'm not sure if I beat his arguments, because I used his points and showed how they are false because they don't work universally (I applied them to movesets), but I don't remember the results so I'll say I was stopped.

wiiman217

Smash Rookie
No character should be banned, but "illegal" activity, when referring to spamming or glitching in Brawl, I do believe has the just right to be banned, or at the very least supervised under strict authority with a purpose in limiting its use or activity.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh, I'm sorry for having English as my 3rd language! I made one lingual mistake! Woe is me! You were spreading falsehoods then!

And you didn't even own up to it! Just admit you were making **** up and/or spreading falsehoods instead of arguing semantics.
I did. I said I was mislead. Are the zelda panties riding up?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I just told you why it matters. Because we have precedence that proves that the doomsday scenario your side loves to paint up will not occur.
It doesn't matter. It isn't precedence because it's not the same game or even the same kind of game. I already addressed this: wrong game. Doesn't matter. How many times do I have to say it?

I used several facts in the post you just replied to. You used zero facts in this post I'm currently replying to. Hypocrisy, much?
What "facts" did you use? Please, enlighten.

I really hope you're not referring to...

BS argument. Why don't we ban all of S and Top Tier? Because the game would be much more diverse and thus, better, without them.

We don't ban to maximize subjective notions such as "fun".
...because we do. We ban a ton of things to maximize fun. Oh, you don't, we say? We ban them to maximize competitiveness? Under whose standard? What standard are we using? What is competitive? At the heart of it, "fun" is what it's all about.

Girl, please.

I also hope you're not referring to...

Most Competitive video games have a character like MK, a character that's a great counterpick or main. We've already showed you why this isn't enough for a ban, especially since people are winning with characters other than MK. You're the one who wants an idealist BS world where at least half the cast is viable or some such BS.

Guess what, the MK gone, the number of viable characters will increase by one: Marth. Yay!
...because you haven't shown ****. Everything you say references some other fighting game community, and I don't know how many times I have to say this before it sinks into your skull: they don't matter. This is not Street Fighter. This is not 3rd Strike. This is not another fighting game community. We had to carve our own competitive scene out of a kids' party game, there is no comparison.

1. The decisions of other fighting game communities only represent what those communities chose to do. The only fact you've given is that those guys chose to do something. Great, who cares?

2. You are delusional if you believe even for a second that MK alone is what makes characters inviable in the MK-centric metagame. Even if it were, Toon Link is another one that would become viable if MK were banned.

And you know this since when? You're not in the SBR. Are you making stuff up as usual?
Since someone in the SBR said to me that it was about half and half?

I know fully well what the reality of things are. And I'm asking: So what? Get your head out of your tuchas. This isn't Super La La Brothers Happy Genki Brawl. If MK takes 6 Top 10s at Apex, so be it. Who cares? That's the reality of Competitive fighting games.

Only someone who has never played any game other than Smash Competitively would whine about something such as that. Other scenes suffer far worse **** in the results (most notably 3rd Strike) but they don't care. And their scenes are flourishing better than Brawl's.
That's the reality because we choose to make it the reality. It doesn't have to be that way. We could have a variety of characters in the top, but we choose to let MK fester because tools like you think we're too good to admit MK is a zit on the competitive metagame. It must be nice to be so hardcore.

Oh, and you're right: anyone who disagrees with your stance is a whiner.

This proves just much you've followed the discussion. Yun (3S) has zero disadvantageous match-ups, zero even match-up (one is 55:45-ish) and the rest are 60-40 to ****-0.

Yun wasn't banned either.
1. This isn't 3rd Strike.
2. Why not?

A lot of character make it more difficult for X character(s) to win tournaments.
I said it earlier, but MK alone doesn't make characters inviable in an MK-focused metagame.

Just because certain characters are slightly more probable to win tournaments if we ban MK does mean such a ban would be warranted. What ridiculous reasoning.
That was just one small example. Again, you don't have to be Einstein to figure out hte line of reasoning I offered and copy and paste in two other characters.

Funny, then why isn't MK winning all tournaments? How come there are so many players out there who do not play MK? Also, that does not matter! You still have the choice to play as several other characters and still stand a pretty darn good chance of winning major tournaments. As long as that choice exists, MK should not be banned.
1. MK wins every national US tournament in which MK is not banned.
2. No you don't.

Every single argument you just brought up are a year old and have all been refuted already.
You haven't refuted ****.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Eh, I'm a bit unsure about this.

With the majority of players in nearly any tournament using the chars like MK, Wario and Snake to win, it becomes pretty hard for the metagame to grow. In my honest opinion, banning MK wouldn't even be enough; we'd have to ban every single character that wins a majority of tournaments. What would that accomplish? More bans? What would happen to the chars with good match ups who aren't banned like G&W and Falco? Should we ban those chars too?

If you want my opinion, giving the metagame some more time to find ways around the alledged by some, "broken" Meta Knight would probabally be best. Oh and not to mention that more players are actually beating him >.>.

On the contrary to what I just said, I think that Meta Knight needs a bit of time away from tournaments for other characters to develop their playing styles and the metagame as a whole. It could even end up in some chars developing a way to drastically change their match up against him. Who knows?

But, yeah, I'm a bit iffy on MK being banned or not.

Curaga

Smash Ace
Too much Q.Q

Some people don't know how to hold a debate without flipping their salsa.

Bring in the Youtube videos of MK players in tournaments.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
M2K wins every national tournament where MK is not banned because he's effing M2K.

Someone posted who got second like 50 pages ago, and, believe it or not, it was pretty diverse. MK took second in like 1/3rd of tournaments, where random characters got the other spots.

Why do you say other fighting games don't matter? The argument that we're trying to explain is that leaving MK in will not be the end of the metagame of this game, and it will not deteriorate to MK dittos. Why? There are PLENTY OF OTHER fighting games where a character like MK or worse than MK existed, yet the metagame was still thriving and healthy.

Why does, "Brawl is a different game," change this fact? It still stands that there are characters in other fighters just like MK, if not worse, that are legal, and the community still thrives.

Also, banning MK to further other character's metagames and to make other characters better at the matchup is illogical. When you ban MK from tournaments, guess which matchup people AREN'T learning...?

noradseven

Smash Lord
There are currently 974 *******, 798 real men, and 229 on the fence.

Seriously just because he is best doesn't mean we should ban him, I find snake and dedede to be more game breaking, *cause more people to have unwinable matchups*, at least pretty much everyone has a shot against MK.

Also Im sure alot of #R eddie, and SFIII Yun discussion going on in here, but those people weren't banned because despite them being the best they weren't the most played, though they were up there, and they didn't win every tourny, and Im pretty sure MK isn't winning everyone either despite the fact that about 1/3 the tourney is comprised of them. I have little respect for people who started playing MK after he was discovered too be good.

Does anyone remember wolf God tier and TL top tier, I still remember people trying to ban those characters, stuff was eventually figured out to overthrow them, the game has only been around for 1 year, and normally a game is not completely set until after 5 years.

Look at Marth in melee, Anji in GG:AC, Ciel's upset in MBAC after 1.5 years of Shion domination, and Akiha in the same game.

There are a ton more upsets that occurred after a year or so of the games release, I doubt it will happen but we will find new things to combat MK over time, it happens, I also expect captain falcon to leave his position of worst and it be given to ganon, and for link to move up to low or even mid.

Part of the problem I have with MK, is the community, the same community that abandoned fox on the way side once he was no longer top tier. In otherwords many tourny players pick their character because they can win with them rather than that they are cool/badass<--best way to pick character

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Um, yeah, this isn't going anywhere.

Honestly, the number of anti-ban is going up because things have been soundly refuted.

Not just by Yuna, either.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It doesn't matter. It isn't precedence because it's not the same game or even the same kind of game. I already addressed this: wrong game. Doesn't matter. How many times do I have to say it?
Plain English apparently fails to reach you. It's matters because it is proof that the metagame does not die or even become remotely unplayable due to a character such as MK existing (and not being banned).

...because we do. We ban a ton of things to maximize fun. Oh, you don't, we say? We ban them to maximize competitiveness? Under whose standard? What standard are we using? What is competitive? At the heart of it, "fun" is what it's all about.
No, we don't. We might ban things to improve the Competitive viability of the game (we do not ban things merely for sake of "fun"), we do not ban things to maximize it. Because then we'd ban much more.

...because you haven't shown ****. Everything you say references some other fighting game community, and I don't know how many times I have to say this before it sinks into your skull: they don't matter. This is not Street Fighter. This is not 3rd Strike. This is not another fighting game community. We had to carve our own competitive scene out of a kids' party game, there is no comparison.
You strawmanning what I'm actually saying won't help you since I'll refute your strawman every single time.

1. The decisions of other fighting game communities only represent what those communities chose to do. The only fact you've given is that those guys chose to do something. Great, who cares?
It's not about choices, it's about the results. And clearly their choice to not ban didn't result in the many things you claim will happen to Brawl unless we ban MK.

2. You are delusional if you believe even for a second that MK alone is what makes characters inviable in the MK-centric metagame. Even if it were, Toon Link is another one that would become viable if MK were banned.
"Inviable", you say? Also, wait what? Did I ever not argue the exact opposite? Also, no, that is a lie. Stop making **** up.

Since someone in the SBR said to me that it was about half and half?
"Someone in the SBR told me" = fact!

That's the reality because we choose to make it the reality. It doesn't have to be that way. We could have a variety of characters in the top, but we choose to let MK fester because tools like you think we're too good to admit MK is a zit on the competitive metagame. It must be nice to be so hardcore.
If you want variety, go play GGXX.

I said it earlier, but MK alone doesn't make characters inviable in an MK-focused metagame.
Then why would characters magically become viable in MK was banned?

1. MK wins every national US tournament in which MK is not banned.
M2K wins every national US tournament in which MK is not banned (which is all of them). M2K won every single Melee tournament for years as Marth, too. Ban?

You haven't refuted ****.
You denying and strawmanning reality won't make it any less true.

I did. I said I was mislead. Are the zelda panties riding up?
You never told me what the heck you were mislead by.

And you said that in regards to Fiction's switch of allegiances, not what you said regarding the usage of the match-up argument! So, no, you haven't conceeded anything regarding the latter, at all!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The number of anti-ban is going up because many of them are new to competitive gaming and don't have decent cases to argue. xD

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
This was yelled at in the APEX livestream... Wouldn't be a bad idea for TO's to wiggle around in:

Why hasn't any TO's considered placing ALL of the MK's in one side of the bracket? Or make a small MK pool before the tourney, and tops end up in the tourney? That should shut up pro-ban.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You never told me what the heck you were mislead by.

And you said that in regards to Fiction's switch of allegiances, not what you said regarding the usage of the match-up argument! So, no, you haven't conceeded anything regarding the latter, at all!
I was mislead by someone who told me the wrong thing.

And because that's how it was. The arguments were intelligent, both sides making great points, then I come back the next day, see you, see matchup discussion going on. Then I see mango trolling. And now this thread sucks again.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The number of anti-ban is going up because many of them are new to competitive gaming and don't have decent cases to argue. xD
I really do hope that is sarcasm.

The number of anti-ban is going up because people can see in the arguments that pro-ban is losing.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Why hasn't any TO's considered placing ALL of the MK's in one side of the bracket? Or make a small MK pool before the tourney, and tops end up in the tourney? That should shut up pro-ban.
lol thats a horrible idea

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I really do hope that is sarcasm.

The number of anti-ban is going up because people can see in the arguments that pro-ban is losing.
Or maybe because for every proban that argues in here, there are always three antiban people spamin it up sayin NOT A VALID POINT NA UH.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
:flame:
Nah. I haven't seen too many new Anti-Ban posters that are half as dumb as new Pro-Ban posters. Most Antiban have enough tournament experience to talk.

And again, since Amazing Ampharos' post is the point that the polls started tiping back towards the Antiban.

Edit:Emo Turtle, explain to me why the idea (of including only the best Metaknights within a tournament by having them eliminate the weaker of them before hand, or by grouping the Metaknights together to allow the winner of the regulars tournament to face the best Metaknight at that tournament) is a bad idea. Personally, I don't see why such extremes are needed, but explain why it is a "horrible" idea.

:flame:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom