• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? ***Take 3***

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Which argument again? You did say something about the "MK destroying viability" argument but I don't remember you replying to the "mostly everyone is hurt badly in a matchup with someone, regardless of whether or not it was MK or not, except MK" argument, though I do remember others replying to it. Though I won't bring it up if you don't want to discuss it.
Just because I didn't reply when you brought it up doesn't mean I haven't replied to it about a jillion times already.

Some of these people "hurting" are hurting from simple 45:55s and 40:60s. Hoe! How horrible! Obviously this means MK must be banned while no one else must be! No, it doesn't. Barely having a disadvantage in one or two match-ups =/= You are hurting/you are unviable/you must use MK.

In the case of MK vs. the Brawl top tiers, MK is almost never the best choice for dealing with the roster, but he is the best choice for winning tournaments. On paper, the other top tiers look like they are close to him in ability, but MK's inability to be screwed in a tournament setting by crap matchups will lead him to being the most used character by an even larger margin than now. The other viable characters will not die out entirely due to being able to compete with MK and most of the roster, but they will always be held back by their crap matchups while MK isn't held by such constraints.
If you actually take a look at the names of the MKs winning tournaments, you'll see that it's the same MKs. It's a select few really good players who just happen to main MK. That's your "in practice" evidence.

This would not be a problem in any other community, but this could kill Brawl's scene due to the nature of its (mostly) non-competitive fanbase, despite it being competitive in the first place. It would be a mater if the community felt confident that the rest of the top tier/high-high tier could form more even matchups with their disadvantages due to more strategies being made to overcome said disadvantages in certain matchups and be able to do it consistently instead of rare cases, or the characters simply coming up short of being able to overcome their disadvantages holding them down from making it into the money due to the nature of Brawl itself that would determine how this issue is to end. This question was really only answered by CRASHIC and Avarice_Panda to an extent as far as I can recall.
So we should ban things that should not be banned because the quasi-casuals will be upset and leave if we don't? Good logic!

I may have been incorrect about how long SF4 was out, but it does not change the fact that SF4 is a deeper game than Brawl. If Brawl is still developing after a 15 months of being out, then SF4 will most likely not stagnate until the next decade.
And this matters how? Changing slightly =/= Changing dramatically.

And SF metagames are quite stagnant after a while. People just keep on playing them without *****ing and moaning about banning stuff (except Akuma).

Fair enough, but I do argue that the Brawl community would not have even considered all of this banning talk, especially this early, if Brawl was not percieved as such a huge step down from Melee at the time of its release.
That's a pretty random connection you're trying to draw there. I don't even have the energy to get into that. And nobody cares why this came up. We only care if it's warranted.

The Brawl community is filled with a bunch of scrubs, whether or not they are intelligent (like me) or are those random one-shot posters that cynical posters here love to put on the stake.
You cannot be an intelligent scrubs. Or Competitive for that matter. Scrubs are by nature anti-Competitive and/or ignorant.

If you're new/bad at the game, you're a newbie/n00b.

Given that, we jumped the gun on the MK banishment fiasco too early. When more people pick MK due to how much of an asset safety is in Brawl, then we may have a slight argument. However, MK is not banworthy at the present moment
Yah.

Yuna Chun lis dominance is worst because the game has been out MUCH longer.
I don't see why this would matter in the least when it comes to whether or not to ban things. If a character is overpowered, it is overpowered and needs to go. If Chun isn't, why is Meta? Also, the game has been out for such a long time, yet Chun continues to dominate... year after year after year. And nobody's banning her. Hmmm.............

Also contrary to the norm the highest peak/dominant metagame is is japan not the us so really it depends on what you are talking about when you say that chun li dominates.
I have no idea what the situation is like in Japan because the Japanese communities generally keep to themselves... speaking Japanese among themselves... in Japan.

Also deeper=more options for all characters. brawl is peaking in terms of depth. This is why other communites wound have as much of a problem. Also chun li has bad matchups.
In what alternate universe does Chun-Li have bad match-ups?! Chun-Li has one one one one disadvantageous match-up (40-60), the one against Yun. I don't think she even has any even match-ups! It's just that 40-60 against Yun and from there it's anywhere from 60-40 to ****!

So how come in 3S, Chun-Li, who has one disadvantageous match-up agains the guy who has none, can dominate the meta game? Because the 3S players don't whine about Yun all day instead of trying to learn how to handle him and then just go out and **** the scene using Chun.

His sword doesnt clash with any projectile cept pikmin.
And I addressed projectiles when? I specifically said that I was talking about normal moves.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Just because I didn't reply when you brought it up doesn't mean I haven't replied to it about a jillion times already.

Some of these people "hurting" are hurting from simple 45:55s and 40:60s. Hoe! How horrible! Obviously this means MK must be banned while no one else must be! No, it doesn't. Barely having a disadvantage in one or two match-ups =/= You are hurting/you are unviable/you must use MK.
My argument is based on overcentralization. If the other top tiers had close to the representation MK had, considering he is not that much better than them imo, there would not be a problem.

You cannot be an intelligent scrubs. Or Competitive for that matter. Scrubs are by nature anti-Competitive and/or ignorant.

If you're new/bad at the game, you're a newbie/n00b.
*facepalm* I got scrub mixed up with n00b. I am pretty bad at the game, but I am somewhat interested in competitive Smash due to it being the only Wii game with depth and a non-online based community.

I actually voted anti-ban. I am only arguing on the pro-ban side because I want to make a (pathetic) attempt to bolster the argument on the pro-ban side considering the mods still allow this thread to remain open.

If you actually take a look at the names of the MKs winning tournaments, you'll see that it's the same MKs. It's a select few really good players who just happen to main MK. That's your "in practice" evidence.
If the MK mainers who mained him the longest/developed him the most/smartest deliver the most amount of wins for MK, then Brawl is a success as a competitive game.

So we should ban things that should not be banned because the quasi-casuals will be upset and leave if we don't? Good logic!
Considering how much Smash is riddiculed by other communities (for reasons other than our behavoir), a larger scene would not hurt to help our case.

And this matters how? Changing slightly =/= Changing dramatically.

And SF metagames are quite stagnant after a while. People just keep on playing them without *****ing and moaning about banning stuff (except Akuma).
All I really care about, as far as change goes, is the ability for players of lesser viable characters to improve enough to be able to effectively challenge the top tiers, given a reasonably good enough player. For a balanced game like SF4, I honestly hope to see some characters becoming effective enough to challenge him as the game continues on. It is a concern in Brawl only because of Brawl's lack of universal options.

That's a pretty random connection you're trying to draw there. I don't even have the energy to get into that. And nobody cares why this came up. We only care if it's warranted.
It has never been warrented IMO. These threads always attract stupidity to issues that are otherwise tame. But if this thread continues to be opened, might as well argue (with argument that are better than those of a ten year old anyway.)

Pretty much. I have failed once again and will go back into the shadows for about another 13 pages before reemerging again. No needto reply if you don't want to.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I don't see why this would matter in the least when it comes to whether or not to ban things. If a character is overpowered, it is overpowered and needs to go. If Chun isn't, why is Meta? Also, the game has been out for such a long time, yet Chun continues to dominate... year after year after year. And nobody's banning her. Hmmm.............
It matters because if she was gonna be banned she would be banned. Also theres never been legitimate discussion about banning her. Only small talk about banning her SA 2. Not saying this is legit discussion but this has been brought up 3 times and has involved a large part of the community.

I have no idea what the situation is like in Japan because the Japanese communities generally keep to themselves... speaking Japanese among themselves... in Japan.
Much different then here yun and chunli coinside in domination.

In what alternate universe does Chun-Li have bad match-ups?! Chun-Li has one one one one disadvantageous match-up (40-60), the one against Yun. I don't think she even has any even match-ups! It's just that 40-60 against Yun and from there it's anywhere from 60-40 to ****!
LMAO! I'm sorry your tone is hilarious i truly feel like i'm being yelled at. But hey unlike meta knight she has a bad matchup. Appearently your right the only bad one. But 3s is weird like that. The characters that are most dependant on their supers almost like symbiotes are the top of the heap.

So how come in 3S, Chun-Li, who has one disadvantageous match-up agains the guy who has none, can dominate the meta game? Because the 3S players don't whine about Yun all day instead of trying to learn how to handle him and then just go out and **** the scene using Chun.
Can i see some recent tournament results please. If its not too much to ask

And I addressed projectiles when? I specifically said that I was talking about normal moves.
I meant to ask when have you seen his moves clash with anything. Can you show what instances.

By the way Its of very small importance but i'm on the fence with the ban. I just think that it raises a red flag since its been brought up 3 times

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
My argument is based on overcentralization. If the other top tiers had close to the representation MK had, considering he is not that much better than them imo, there would not be a problem.
Your argument is popularity. Meta Knight is over-centralizing by choice, not by nature. People can still choose a whole bunch of other characters and still win, they just don't.

I actually voted anti-ban. I am only arguing on the pro-ban side because I want to make a (pathetic) attempt to bolster the argument on the pro-ban side considering the mods still allow this thread to remain open.
Why?

All I really care about, as far as change goes, is the ability for players of lesser viable characters to improve enough to be able to effectively challenge the top tiers, given a reasonably good enough player. For a balanced game like SF4, I honestly hope to see some characters becoming effective enough to challenge him as the game continues on. It is a concern in Brawl only because of Brawl's lack of universal options.
MK already have several characters challenging him. They're called 55-45s.

It matters because if she was gonna be banned she would be banned. Also theres never been legitimate discussion about banning her. Only small talk about banning her SA 2. Not saying this is legit discussion but this has been brought up 3 times and has involved a large part of the community.
Maybe you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that Chun-Li and Yun not being banned is further indicative of that we shouldn't ban MK.

I Much different then here yun and chunli coinside in domination.
So it's effectively a 2-character game. Much better!

Can i see some recent tournament results please. If its not too much to ask
Pick an EVO, any EVO.

II meant to ask when have you seen his moves clash with anything. Can you show what instances.
A and B moves (which are not projectiles)? You know, like normal characters?

IBy the way Its of very small importance but i'm on the fence with the ban. I just think that it raises a red flag since its been brought up 3 times
People have brought up the reinstatement of items one jillion times. People bring stuff up all the time. Doesn't mean we should do it. Especially not when they use flimsy arguments.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yuna,

All of Metaknight's "A" moves,
i.e. ground attacks, and aerials
have transcended priority. Transcended priority is akin to Falco's Lasers. They do not clash, no other attack will clash/clank with it, and if the hitbox touches any hurtbox it will always hit.

However, Metaknight's "special moves", including his Glide Attack have 'normal' priority. However, saying normal is a bit of an understatement; as all of these moves have very good priority in this scope, to the extent many moves will not clank, but only clash (i.e. MK's hitbox stays out, yours stops). Meta Knight's Glide Attack seems to clash with everything in the realms of normal priority.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna,

All of Metaknight's "A" moves,
i.e. ground attacks, and aerials
have transcended priority. Transcended priority is akin to Falco's Lasers. They do not clash, no other attack will clash/clank with it, and if the hitbox touches any hurtbox it will always hit.

However, Metaknight's "special moves", including his Glide Attack have 'normal' priority. However, saying normal is a bit of an understatement; as all of these moves have very good priority in this scope, to the extent many moves will not clank, but only clash (i.e. MK's hitbox stays out, yours stops). Meta Knight's Glide Attack seems to clash with everything in the realms of normal priority.
I'm pretty certain I've clashed with his dsmash before. Aerials never clash.

Oh yuna I didnt mean to classifly japan as a two man dominance. Yun and chun (that rhymed) take some tournaments but the scene is definately more diverse then the U.S.

Also 2007 EVO didnt KO win it who played yun not chun li
EVO 2007:
1st - Ohnuki (Chun)
2nd - Tokido (Chun, Urien)
3rd - Alex Valle (Ken, Ryu)
4th - Mike Wakefield (Makoto)
5th - Asianhitler (Necro)
5th - fubarduck (Chun)
7th - Ed Ma (Ken)
7th - Ricky Ortiz (Chun)

EVO 2008:
1st – Nuki (Chun)
2nd – Justin Wong (Chun)
3rd – Amir (Chun)
4th – Tokido (Chun)
5th - Fubarduck (Chun)
5th – JR (Akuma)
7th – Watson (Ken)
7th - Ryan Hart (Yun/Ken)

You were saying?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You're wrong.
And aerials do clash with SPECIALS and ground moves. Metaknight's do not.

The terms we're using here may be the confusing.

Let's just say Clash means one move outprioritises another.
Clank is both moves cancel eachother out.

Metaknight's aerials and ground moves do neither, 'technically'. Metaknight's aerials and ground moves only outdo.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i

EVO 2007:
1st - Ohnuki (Chun)
2nd - Tokido (Chun, Urien)
3rd - Alex Valle (Ken, Ryu)
4th - Mike Wakefield (Makoto)
5th - Asianhitler (Necro)
5th - fubarduck (Chun)
7th - Ed Ma (Ken)
7th - Ricky Ortiz (Chun)

EVO 2008:
1st – Nuki (Chun)
2nd – Justin Wong (Chun)
3rd – Amir (Chun)
4th – Tokido (Chun)
5th - Fubarduck (Chun)
5th – JR (Akuma)
7th – Watson (Ken)
7th - Ryan Hart (Yun/Ken)

You were saying?

I'm thinking of 2004 evo.
My bad.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're wrong.

I used Clank and Clash interchangeably, as one should.

Outprioritizing is just that, outprioritizing.

Metaknight's aerials and ground moves do neither, 'technically'. Metaknight's aerials and ground moves only outdo.
I remembered wrong about his ground moves then.

I'm thinking of 2004 evo.
My bad.
That is not remotely "recent".

teekay

Smash Journeyman

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You're wrong.

In general you are correct but Yuna does mention something I hae seen before.
I have seen metakights Dsmash clang with specials.
It is rare though and leas me to believe that there may be some frames or one frame in which the move has a clangable hitbox.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman

Unless they're outreached, same for Lucario if I'm not mistaken.

SHDL ftw win on laser priority though. Love that range and frame advantage.

(:

Gea

Smash Master
Unless they're outreached, same for Lucario if I'm not mistaken.

SHDL ftw win on laser priority though. Love that range and frame advantage.

(:
Lucario's "aura" does not clank, but his body does. You can clank with his fsmash with Peach's ftilt if you ftilt his hands. Same with most of his moves. I'm pretty sure his aerials can clash with projectiles. But I am 100% on the fsmash clanking.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, I don't play that matchup too often.

More Marth vs my Lucario and MK the instant I pick Peach.
lol

Shao-tan

Smash Cadet
Is there one best character with no disadvantaged matchups on any stage in any of them that do have stage selection matter?
Xianghua has no disadvantageous matchups at all. She has a reliable ring out(not SO good, though) and excellent ways of dealing damage(lol spins). Xianghualess tournaments have existed, but she's mostly accepted by the community. I find Xianghua gayer than Metaknight, don't know if this matters or not.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Tell me, since when did the word "anything" start being limited to only "stuff like lasers"? "Anything" includes, you know, anything, including normal A-moves.

Marth's sword goes through lasers, too. You'll notice how almost every single disjointed hitbox in the game does that.

No, by "MK's sword goes through stuff like lasers", he means it ACTS like lasers, not that it goes THROUGH lasers. It's got laser-priority in other words.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well since everyone else seems to be giving you the shaft, I'll go ahead and answer.

I believe all of those ideas have been addressed, and all have been rejected. The basic idea is that if a character is dumb enough to warrant a handicap, we should honestly just ban them. MK players shouldn't be punished for using a character, we should just remove the problem at its source rather than result to convoluted procedure.

Good suggestions though!
Thanks.

But still, a handicap wouldn't be the same as making him unplayable-it would simply make him less abusive, while banning him would destroy him altogether... But w/e. :(

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Xianghua has no disadvantageous matchups at all. She has a reliable ring out(not SO good, though) and excellent ways of dealing damage(lol spins). Xianghualess tournaments have existed, but she's mostly accepted by the community. I find Xianghua is gayer than Metaknight, don't know if this matters or not.
Hey, hey, hey now. Just because she has 22B/3B -> 44A/33_99KA and one bajillion cancels doesn't mean she's gay. Kilik's giant pecs and penchant for showing them off clealy indicates homosexuality, though.

buenob

Smash Lord
"this rod will be your doom" <-- clear indication of kiliks preferences

MK certainly is a dominant rplayer in the competitive scene, and people gripe about losing to "worse" players who just pick up MK and do well... but is that "worse" player unbeatable??

if the answer is ever a definitive yes, then I'll switch my vote from no to yes... until then, I have faith that my better playing will pull me through, and my losses are due to a player being better than me

BarDulL

Town Vampire
We didn't ban Fox in Melee, no need to ban Metaknight in Brawl. People will find ways to get around his attacks.
It has been a year, bucko. I think we would have figured out how to "get past his attacks" by now.

I never heard the sad tales of Snakes, Warios, Falcos or Dededes that have switched to MK because they performed so bad.
There are plenty of players that "weren't good" in the beginning and swapped from an S tier to MK, including Tyrant (rank 4 in SoCal) and TKD (best player in Mexico.) DSF wasn't doing too hot with his Snake last summer (Futile/Aero/others were beating him) and he swapped to MK to beat them.

...Yeah. =/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Might be more common than you realize.

i herd SK picked up da Mega nieghtuh 4 wutevar rasin.

...Okay so he claims he still mains Falco, but he's becoming a plague...

The dark side of the force is strong...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And Infinity left Meta Knight for some other character (I think Kirby) because he was pissed off by the people whining about how unbeatable MK is.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I wonder why that matters.

Of course people will complain when they lose their money and don't get their money back, but oh well. It's the thing that makes the world go 'round and 'round, right?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He left MK because he just wasn't having fun with him.

Also I'm considered a good Wario and I have contemplated dropping him for MK multiple times, but I've decided to make up for my character's short comings by being ridiculously good at the fundamentals of the game. There's only so far I can take this character... MK sadly can go farther.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It has been a year, bucko. I think we would have figured out how to "get past his attacks" by now.
We have. The whiners are just too busy whining instead of learning how to get past his attacks. Even Peach, of all characteres, can handle him.

There are plenty of players that "weren't good" in the beginning and swapped from an S tier to MK, including Tyrant (rank 4 in SoCal) and TKD (best player in Mexico.) DSF wasn't doing too hot with his Snake last summer (Futile/Aero/others were beating him) and he swapped to MK to beat them.

...Yeah. =/
You calling Top 5 in their state "not good"? They started doing better once they switched, but they were doing fine already. And despite the fact that there are now several characters that go toe-to-toe with MK, they're still doing well. This indicates they are good players and/or that their opponents are bad against MK.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
You calling Top 5 in their state "not good"? They started doing better once they switched, but they were doing fine already. And despite the fact that there are now several characters that go toe-to-toe with MK, they're still doing well. This indicates they are good players and/or that their opponents are bad against MK.
Why can't that also mean that MK is that much better of a character that a previous top 5 placer could be #1 if they pick him up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why can't that also mean that MK is that much better of a character that a previous top 5 placer could be #1 if they pick him up.
"Much better" is a lie and you know it. The Top 5 can be very even, with the switching of characters evening it up.

And nobody is denying that MK is good. However, that alone does not make him bannable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom